Staying awake (split from Rules)

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

frogshee

Staying awake (split from Rules)

Postby frogshee » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:32 am UTC

So question:
How do you guys deal with staying awake late at night to work on tasks and/or assignments? I find that I can stay up until 1 am with no problem but when sleepiness hits there is no way out of the situation. I become incapable of productivity and furthermore give in to willpower to stay awake even if the task needs to be finished promptly.

Suggestions/Thoughts?

fyamnky

Re: Staying awake (split from Rules)

Postby fyamnky » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:08 am UTC

I usually play music(Soundgarden) or Hulu(Arrested Development) in the background. If that doesnt work then I just nap for an hour or two.

I've also found napping before actually beginning to work helps. For example, this wednesday I stayed up until 3:00 working on an English assignment. I had anticipated this possibilty, and took a nap from 5:00 to 8:00

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:09 am UTC

I... arrange my life so I can get my work done and still get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. So I guess that's either all the help you need, or not helpful at all.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

_MC_

Postby _MC_ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:52 am UTC

Coffee. I've been pulling all-nighters for years so I'm used to it though. It gets easier, you just gotta push yourself. I don't start hallucinating until sometime after 48 hours.

Quenouille

Postby Quenouille » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

You develop a resistance to coffee rather quickly doing this though.

As an aside, isn't waking up from a one hour nap after a 30+ hour streak the most confusing moment ever? I did this yesterday, my first thought was ''wait.. what month are we?'' and I couldn't remember until I decided to look out the window to see if there was snow.

Why Two Kay

Postby Why Two Kay » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:I... arrange my life so I can get my work done and still get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. So I guess that's either all the help you need, or not helpful at all.

Same. If I know I have a big project to do, I never do it late. I am a rather well-scheduled person who will go to bed at the same time every weeknight, period. I never have to stay up to work on projects.
tl;dr - I said nothing important.

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

I'm terrible at getting things done in the proper time, such as my paper that I've known about for 2 weeks that's due monday and I haven't started it. So I end up staying up late a fair amount of the time. Best way for me to function at a late hour is to have a cold beverage (usually water, sugar messes with me that late), frequent breaks, and music in the background that isn't slow and boring (not that I have much like that though).

If it's just staying up with friends, for late night movie marathons, DnD sessions, or whatever, usually, a combination of energy drinks and grease works out really well. Until the next day that is.

angelfire

Postby angelfire » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:42 am UTC

fyamnky wrote:I've also found napping before actually beginning to work helps. For example, this wednesday I stayed up until 3:00 working on an English assignment. I had anticipated this possibilty, and took a nap from 5:00 to 8:00

hmm, wouldnt it be better to just spend the 3 hours from 5-8 working on the assignment and then get to bed at 12?
i really dont see the point in napping. wouldnt the occasional power nap be sufficient?

lordofnarf

Postby lordofnarf » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:33 am UTC

If you're not particularly attached to the lining of your stomach, Coca Cola works wonders.

Other than that, some type of high tempo music at a moderate volume. Give yourself small breaks, but use them to do something, don't just sit during them.

And willpower, that's all you need. Though chocolate can help.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:52 am UTC

Stay busy and constantly eat fatty foods. It's important that it's fatty and not sugary as that will result in a crash. Fried is preferred. Cheetos worked nicely for me. As for the staying busy, just keep focused. If you start to get bored, move on to something else. If you only have a single assignment to work on, just work on a different part of it. Don't let yourself get bored at all. If you have any time when you aren't working, you will immediately fall asleep and that's the ball game.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

Set your alarm for four o'clock the next morning. Easy as that, and if you finish early, you get like an hour before school to do whatever the hell you want.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:52 pm UTC

Unfortunately, ^that does seem to be the only way...

fyamnky

Postby fyamnky » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:13 pm UTC

angelfire wrote:
fyamnky wrote:I've also found napping before actually beginning to work helps. For example, this wednesday I stayed up until 3:00 working on an English assignment. I had anticipated this possibilty, and took a nap from 5:00 to 8:00

hmm, wouldnt it be better to just spend the 3 hours from 5-8 working on the assignment and then get to bed at 12?
i really dont see the point in napping. wouldnt the occasional power nap be sufficient?

That's just the way my mind works. I honestly think it would have been more difficult to start working at 5:00, because by the time it was 12:00 I would have been exhausted and the quality of work would have dropped sharply. Napping beforehand though means I wake up wholly refreshed. It sounds stupid, but it works.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

As previously mentioned, staggered doses of caffeine & sugar via Coca-Cola/Red Bull/others are pretty essential for pulling an all-night'er. I've had my fair few since starting university. It's pleasantly tranquil to be still scribbling away at your desk during the early hours of 3-4am when all are asleep/out clubbing. Watching sunrise and the world coming back to life in the morning makes your lack of sleep seem all the more worthwhile. What I find pretty essential to keeping me awake is light. While it may be pitch dark and 1am outside, the room lighting provision in my hall of residence makes it pretty indistinguishable and can help forcibly keeping you awake. I suppose that also affects your psychological perception of the time of day, keeping you active and fired-up longer. Willpower and determination necessary as well.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

disconnecting your internet frequently helps.

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

Usually I get some food to eat. Gum works well too. If that doesn't work, try using your phone to vibrate every couple minutes, if you do fall asleep, you won't be for long.
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

BlackMesa

Postby BlackMesa » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

Music that you dont really enjoy works for me. I listen to really screamy metal to keep me awake sometimes. However, I tend not to stay up too late with homework. Sleep is fairly important to me.
"Courage is not the absence of fear!" - Aperture Science

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

Well, I've successfully stayed up until 6:30am the last two nights, while still getting up before noon on sunday and 10 today. I don't think I want to continue this though; it's a bit taxing.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

_MC_ wrote:I don't start hallucinating until sometime after 48 hours.

Lucky. It takes me a mere 18 hours to not be able to function. After that I can't walk for shit.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Durin

Postby Durin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:01 am UTC

I'm useless when it comes to staying awake late. 1am is usally the critical point. Before 1 am I start getting tired and after 1 am I start regaining energy and by about 2 or 3am I'm wide awake again.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:01 am UTC

I've now transitioned to 48 hour sleep patterns; I spend around 30+ hours awake, followed by 12-18 hours sleeping, though when the sleep phase is posponed or disturbed, the result can be catastrophic.

I used to sleep 4 hours a night, but found that I was getting extremely fatigued over time; so experimented with how to exploit my insomnia to its full potential.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

iscrewupCOPPAquestions

Postby iscrewupCOPPAquestions » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:20 am UTC

[color=#FF00FF]I get in bed at 8:30, read for half an hour before lights out at 9 no matter what (every aspect of my life falls apart if I don't). Though I generally don't leave thing's until the last minute, when things get out of control I sleep in running clothes on with running shoes out by my bed, then wake up at say 3am and go for a run before doing work. If I am especially tired I then go run around the building at a full blown sprint every hour or so.

...this strategy leads to my roommate hating me, especially when he goes to sleep when I am waking up.

(tonight is an exception because I just got back in town and am still all wired from driving)

edited for hypocrisy
Last edited by iscrewupCOPPAquestions on Fri May 01, 2009 12:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

Non-regulation coloured text is generally frowned upon :).

I start to say stupid things around the 18 hour mark, but I've pushed as far as I could go.

lordofnarf

Postby lordofnarf » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:38 am UTC

One method that I haven't personally tried, but know several people who do is to transition to a hexaphasic sleep schedule, or to the 20-8 sleep schedule.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

http://xkcd.com/320/

if only my school schedule worked out with this..... I've got a 8am to 3 pm schedule. Maybe next year.......
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

IggyJack

Postby IggyJack » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

frogshee wrote:So question:
How do you guys deal with staying awake late at night to work on tasks and/or assignments? I find that I can stay up until 1 am with no problem but when sleepiness hits there is no way out of the situation. I become incapable of productivity and furthermore give in to willpower to stay awake even if the task needs to be finished promptly.

Suggestions/Thoughts?

For me, Coca-Cola works very well along with the strongest energy drinks you could find (Rockstar, NOS, Vitamin Energy, Jolt). But of course you come down from those and essentially crash pretty hard. But by that time, you'll be done.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. -Thomas Paine.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. -Thomas Paine.

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

The energy drink that worked the most for me was Cocaine, but I'm assuming that had something to do with the not FDA approved part of it. It tasted like absolute crap, but the buzz lasted forever and the crash wasn't all that bad.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri May 08, 2009 4:22 am UTC

I have a more pressing question: how do you stay awake during a really boring lecture? Or meeting?

Even if I have coffee beforehand, it's like my brain simply cannot withstand the onslaught of partially-incomprehensible information and tries to shut down. Usually I can recover somewhat after a brief and hopefully unnoticed phase of nodding off. It's a real problem sometimes. Is there really some established neurological basis for this behavior? (Of course, taking notes can help.)

lemmings

Postby lemmings » Fri May 08, 2009 8:58 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I have a more pressing question: how do you stay awake during a really boring lecture? Or meeting?

Even if I have coffee beforehand, it's like my brain simply cannot withstand the onslaught of partially-incomprehensible information and tries to shut down. Usually I can recover somewhat after a brief and hopefully unnoticed phase of nodding off. It's a real problem sometimes. Is there really some established neurological basis for this behavior? (Of course, taking notes can help.)

I use a small notebook of 'doodles' that occupies my time during classes. These doodles consist of programming projects that I am trying to work on as well as occasional sketches. I usually bring a laptop to my CS courses, I spend that time just completing the projects that I started in the notebook or writing simple scripts.

Writing notes alone does not appear to help me. I was required to turn in these notebooks in high school which prevented me from being able to doodle... I feel asleep a lot during in those classes.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Fri May 08, 2009 12:49 pm UTC

I find that the best thing to keep you up is an unbelievable amount of stress - like the 100 page design report I just had to do in under 3 weeks. I don't drink anything with caffeine really. Not on principle, there's just nothing I like. Recently I pulled a 30 hour stretch, and then a 24 hour stretch a couple weeks later. Drinking lots of water helps. I find that eating does too, although, when breakfast time comes back around you may feel nauseous due to the general bodily confusion. I work in the library (it's 24/7) because I will not be able to work properly at home.

DO NOT DRIVE HOME. Thankfully I was on some empty back roads, so there were no cars to hit when I started seeing double.

Jorpho wrote:I have a more pressing question: how do you stay awake during a really boring lecture? Or meeting?

Get some tweezers. Yank a nose hair. You will not feel tired.

I had one lecturer that I would fall asleep while taking notes - my head would slowly get closer and closer to the desk - even while I was writing, until it hit. Then I would have to stay there for 10 seconds or so to recover. Rinse and repeat.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Sat May 09, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

I own a product similar to this. Taseing myself is usually pretty effective.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

sio

Postby sio » Sun May 10, 2009 7:25 am UTC

Music and coffee. I don't sleep a lot - far too much to do. Last week I had a 100-hour awake stretch and got maybe five hours of sleep that week, and I can function reasonably well on that much now.

It gets easier as you get used to it.

Lissa

Postby Lissa » Mon May 11, 2009 8:43 am UTC

What about staying awake during lessons? I have more problems with that, actually.

sio

Postby sio » Mon May 11, 2009 9:27 am UTC

Lissa wrote:What about staying awake during lessons? I have more problems with that, actually.

Caffeine. Just load it up until you couldn't sleep if you wanted to.

skordge

Postby skordge » Mon May 11, 2009 11:44 am UTC

Mix up some really strong coffee with coke, best energizing cocktail out there. With this shit, I worked three shifts straight with some breaks (30 hours) at my job, when we had an emergency situation, and only got sleepy at the very end.
What do you mean, 'booze ain't food'?!

Mercy Buckets

Postby Mercy Buckets » Wed May 13, 2009 2:33 am UTC

Keep cold somehow. This works really well for me in the winter because in my house the heater is set to do nothing late at night so it's always freezing whether I'm trying to stay awake or not. Sit on some ice cubes or something. Being a little uncomfortable helps too.

These caffeine suggestions are making me cringe. I crash really fast when I drink something caffeinated so I usually end up napping an hour later.

zug

Postby zug » Wed May 13, 2009 2:41 am UTC

For me, I haven't been a slave to an exact sleep schedule since pubescence. I used to stay up til 5 am reading novels at my grandma's on the weekends, and I'd be tired, but as long as they let me sleep in I was happy. I got to college and regularly stayed up til 4 or 5 am (this is not conducive to getting to early classes on time, though). Then before my 4th year, I worked a night job that entire summer. Working 10 pm to 6 am will really f up your internal schedule.

I can sleep at any time I want to, now. I prefer to stay up til 6 or 7 am and sleep until the early afternoon, but my job doesn't generally allow it (I work exactly from 130pm to 10pm now, 5 days a week). On weekends or holidays I sleep at crazy hours, though. Just whenever I get sleepy, which rarely coincides with darkness.

I do not miss those all nighters in college. I have no trouble staying up until all hours of the night, but if I have to focus on schoolwork, I get really unhappy.
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed May 13, 2009 3:25 am UTC

skordge wrote:Mix up some really strong coffee with coke, best energizing cocktail out there. With this shit, I worked three shifts straight with some breaks (30 hours) at my job, when we had an emergency situation, and only got sleepy at the very end.
Why not just drink the coffee, then the coke? Or just twice as much coffee?

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed May 13, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

The clear solution to this is lots of coffee. It's the best antidote to keyboard-face syndrome.

skordge

Postby skordge » Wed May 13, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Why not just drink the coffee, then the coke? Or just twice as much coffee?

Three words: aerated coffee drink! The whole is more than the sum of its parts.
What do you mean, 'booze ain't food'?!

Return to “School”