Class Gunners

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

MiB24601

Class Gunners

Postby MiB24601 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:44 am UTC

While I generally enjoy school, there is one thing I don't like and that's gunners. Oh, you don't know what a gunner is. Well, let me explain.
[list=]
* A gunner is the person whose hand is always the first on in the air during class. Now, that's perfectly fine but it's only the beginning.
* A gunner is the person who will always have a personal anecdote for every class discussion, now matter how tenuously related. Personal anecdotes can be fantastic for class discussions but not for every class discussion.
* A gunner is a person who asks crazy questions in class and won't drop the issue. Sure, it can be fun to discuss how the Dred Scott case might be used when talking about AI in the future but the Supreme Court didn't think about because it was 1857 so stop asking what the Taney court thought of the rights of AIs.
* A gunner is the person who thinks that the reason why the teacher didn't call on them is because the teacher must have missed seeing their hand raised. No, the teacher simply wanted to talk about the case and not hear about the time you caught your head in a fence or what the Taney Court would've thought of the Terminator. This certainly doesn't mean you should just shout out your answer.
* A gunner is the person who tries to get the teacher to explain a concept for the twelfth time, when everyone else, including the teacher wants to move on and it couldn't possibly be made more clear. This is what office hours are for.
* A gunner is the person who tries to hijack the class discussion to go into complete tangents when the professor is trying to explain a difficult concept in limited time. If you want to talk to the teacher about British Law's "Right to Silence," go to office hours, don't try to go into it when there are ten minutes of class left and we still need to finish talking about Miranda Warnings.
* A gunner is a person who cuts off another person talking so they can explain what the other person meant. The other person was doing a much better job of explain what they meant, thank you very much.
[/list]

A gunner is all that and more. So, who has a good gunner story?*

* I have several but right now, I just want to sit back, nurse my drink and pretend I never went back to school but rather, that I was able to get funding for flying cuttlefish research.**
** I'm really fed up with gunners right now.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Sir_Elderberry

Re: Class Gunners

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

I know someone who's like this. But he has ADD, so I'm inclined to be sympathetic.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Mr. Freeman

Postby Mr. Freeman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:18 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:If you want to talk to the teacher about British Law's "Right to Silence," go to office hours, don't try to go into it when there are ten minutes of class left and we still need to finish talking about Miranda Warnings.

Oh no no no, do not go to office hours. Go make an appointment with the prof for some other time. I'd be pissed if I couldn't get a question answered because the prof ran out of time because some jackass was discussing something irrelevant to the class during office hours.

My Chem prof. actually institutes this rule due to the number of students he has in his classes. (Big fucking lecture)

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:05 am UTC

Mr. Freeman wrote:Oh no no no, do not go to office hours. Go make an appointment with the prof for some other time. I'd be pissed if I couldn't get a question answered because the prof ran out of time because some jackass was discussing something irrelevant to the class during office hours.

My Chem prof. actually institutes this rule due to the number of students he has in his classes. (Big fucking lecture)
I don't know, but I would say they are not nice profs on first glance. Most profs I know pretty much allow people to ask him questions as long as they are around, and will certainly not disappear just because an office hour is over, unless there is a dire need to do so.

Mr. Freeman

Postby Mr. Freeman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:09 am UTC

A lot of my profs. don't just disappear, they have class right after office hours. Most of them are fine with you talking about anything, but my chem prof has probably 30 students that want to talk to him in the course of 60 mins. on some days.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:27 am UTC

That IMO is a poor scheduling of office hours. We generally tend to schedule it so it overlaps 2 classes. That way, more people can come, and also if it spills over, we have another 1/2 hour to cover.

30 people sound quite a lot, though. I am lucky to get 2 students per hour, though the class I TA is much, much smaller.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

Ah... This sounds like me. Or at least a mild form of it. I mean, no personal anecdotes and a minimum amount tangential questions, but I do tend to ask a lot of questions to clarify exactly what's going on. I have a hard time following discussions and have a horrible short term memory (I have ADD) so I tend to either forget any questions I have and never get them answered, or the question bugs me and I can't pay attention to the lecture, wasting all the lecture afterward. To get the most out of a lecture, I feel like I need to learn things in flow.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:46 am UTC

hideki101 wrote:Ah... This sounds like me. Or at least a mild form of it. I mean, no personal anecdotes and a minimum amount tangential questions, but I do tend to ask a lot of questions to clarify exactly what's going on. I have a hard time following discussions and have a horrible short term memory (I have ADD) so I tend to either forget any questions I have and never get them answered, or the question bugs me and I can't pay attention to the lecture, wasting all the lecture afterward. To get the most out of a lecture, I feel like I need to learn things in flow.

If you are just trying to ask questions in order to clarify your understanding, then you aren't a gunner. The questions aren't what make someone a gunner, it's about trying to take over the class discussion. Personal anecdotes, crazy questions and complete tangents in the discussion are simply ways of trying to take the class conversation away from the professor.

And from what you said, you don't do those things. Nor does it seem like you are yelling out when the professor doesn't call on you or cutting off another person when speaking. If you aren't, then you aren't a gunner. And if you are, then stop doing it.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:49 am UTC

We have a gunner in our lectures, but he speaks to far too fast for anyone to understand, and his personal hygine is distinctly lacking, also the lecturer has started to ask trick questions, simply so she can delight in mocking him for making the wrong answer in haste! I'm starting to feel sorry for him.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:51 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:
hideki101 wrote:Ah... This sounds like me. Or at least a mild form of it. I mean, no personal anecdotes and a minimum amount tangential questions, but I do tend to ask a lot of questions to clarify exactly what's going on. I have a hard time following discussions and have a horrible short term memory (I have ADD) so I tend to either forget any questions I have and never get them answered, or the question bugs me and I can't pay attention to the lecture, wasting all the lecture afterward. To get the most out of a lecture, I feel like I need to learn things in flow.

If you are just trying to ask questions in order to clarify your understanding, then you aren't a gunner. The questions aren't what make someone a gunner, it's about trying to take over the class discussion. Personal anecdotes, crazy questions and complete tangents in the discussion are simply ways of trying to take the class conversation away from the professor.

And from what you said, you don't do those things. Nor does it seem like you are yelling out when the professor doesn't call on you or cutting off another person when speaking. If you aren't, then you aren't a gunner. And if you are, then stop doing it.

Ah. I meant that I've been called out for asking extraneous questions by my professor. In effect, I was trying to see if a problem could be done another way, and I think I got on his nerves (he told me so after class, as well as showed me another way to do the problem.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

Write the question down.
hideki101 wrote:Ah. I meant that I've been called out for asking extraneous questions by my professor. In effect, I was trying to see if a problem could be done another way, and I think I got on his nerves (he told me so after class, as well as showed me another way to do the problem.
Unless you really asks that much, I don't see why the prof will be unhappy with it. Personally, I hate students who just do as they are told and lack independent thought, though I am only a TA and not a prof yet.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

I too may have been guilty of this for a time. Perhaps it was reinforced by my excellent grades? Then I learned to hate myself. :(

I think my worst question ever was during a discussion of the New Testament, when I asked if the name of Ananais had anything to do with the French word for pineapple. Fortunately the teacher just said "no" and everyone else present has probably forgotten it by now. (It was the eighth grade! That's an excuse, right?)

Don't forget the incessant requests for clarification on exam questions.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Don't forget the incessant requests for clarification on exam questions.
IMO that's fine. You usually aren't bothering other students. Unless of course that they have given you a clarification and you ask again (in which case the TA/profs will be pissed off).

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Fri May 01, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

We had one of those in my engineering class. But he is gone now, he played too much WoW one quarter and ended up failing then switched majors.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 02, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

I also profoundly regret that moment during an exam in one of my early Physics classes when I stumbled upon a tricky solution and, not quietly enough, began to say "Oh yes! Yes!" :oops:

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:05 am UTC

This guy is a gunner. Oh, dear god, is he a gunner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbThUukchws

And in case you think this is an extreme parody, a friend of mine showed this to a whole group from one of my classes, asked us who this reminded us of and we all said the same name.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Wed May 06, 2009 1:33 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbThUukchws
FUCK
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed May 06, 2009 3:08 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:And in case you think this is an extreme parody, a friend of mine showed this to a whole group from one of my classes, asked us who this reminded us of and we all said the same name.
However, I bet the person of that name wasn't nearly so, um, close to our cultural norms of male sexual attractiveness.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:05 am UTC

I saw this and thought of this thread.
SuperCamp: Winning The Game Of School

Don't they realize that some of these things can't be taught!? They are finely-honed instincts!

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:13 am UTC

I prefer to be the Class Ninja -- Sit in the back and be all cool, knowing that the teachers know that you know all the material, hands down.

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:27 am UTC

I try and participate in class by answering questions the teacher puts to us, but certainly limit myself so that other people get to answer questions. And then there's the fact that sometimes I simply don't know the answers.

As for gunners, I don't normally see too many of them in my classes. In my maths class, the topic of matrices brought them out. Particularly matrix multiplication (the person in question spent a good two or three lessons trying to learn what you do to get the answers everyone else was getting) and Leslie matrices.

The most annoying for me, though, is when we'll be going over problem sets in physics, and the people next to me will be talking about something while a question they need the answer to is being worked out on the board. They then finish talking, and ask me how to get the answer, and I'll have to explain it to them while missing out on the next question.
They're nice people - we're really good friends - but sometimes I just wish I sat next to people I didn't know in class :?.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

Return to “School”