Shakespeare Comparison

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

scolby33
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

Shakespeare Comparison

Postby scolby33 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:22 am UTC

For an upcoming English assignment, I need to write a comparison of Much Ado About Nothing and A Midsummer Night's Dream. While I am perfectly willing to do my own reading/research, I cannot come up with any points of comparison besides the different interpretations of true and false love in the plays. Can anyone point me towards some comparisons or critical writings about these two plays?

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Shakespeare Comparison

Postby sje46 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:27 am UTC

Sparknotes?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

scolby33
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Comparison

Postby scolby33 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

Unfortunately, my english teacher has read the sparknotes, and makes a show of having a shelf of them behind his desk. I am especially looking for any literary criticisms of either of the plays that can be found online.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Shakespeare Comparison

Postby sje46 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

So what? Read the sparknotes anyway. What is the teacher going to say?
"YOU READ A BOOK. F-- FOR YOU!!!! BWHAHAHA" Just don't plagiarize them. Just because some of your arguments is similar to what a famous series of reviews says, does that mean you cheated? No.
If you are still so against Sparknotes, then read the Cliffnotes. Or, you know, use your actual brain. Or go on Wikiepdia. If Wikipedia is no good, look at the links on the bottom of the articles. Shakespeare is not that complicated.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
Masily box
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:01 am UTC

Re: Shakespeare Comparison

Postby Masily box » Sun May 17, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Just because some of your arguments is similar to what a famous series of reviews says, does that mean you cheated? No.


Er, actually, if your argument is similar because you read that review (and failed to cite it), that's the definition of plagiarism.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Shakespeare Comparison

Postby sje46 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Masily box wrote:
sje46 wrote:Just because some of your arguments is similar to what a famous series of reviews says, does that mean you cheated? No.


Er, actually, if your argument is similar because you read that review (and failed to cite it), that's the definition of plagiarism.

What do you think the OP is asking us to do for him? He is asking us to help him cheat. He can not come up woith his own theories.
I'm just saying that a somewhat similar theory, which will most likely be very popular and somewhat obvious with Sparknotes, won't out him out.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: Shakespeare Comparison

Postby Vaniver » Mon May 18, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

Go to a library, find a copy of Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare. Cite your source.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Shakespeare Comparison

Postby Adacore » Mon May 18, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

If you do this in true university/college style, just read as much of other peoples analyses as you can and cite them all. Doesn't matter that you've done no work at all yourself so long as you've cited all your sources (use Harvard referencing), you'll still get full marks.

User avatar
frogshee
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:56 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Shakespeare Comparison

Postby frogshee » Tue May 19, 2009 1:22 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
Masily box wrote:
sje46 wrote:Just because some of your arguments is similar to what a famous series of reviews says, does that mean you cheated? No.


Er, actually, if your argument is similar because you read that review (and failed to cite it), that's the definition of plagiarism.

What do you think the OP is asking us to do for him? He is asking us to help him cheat. He can not come up woith his own theories.
I'm just saying that a somewhat similar theory, which will most likely be very popular and somewhat obvious with Sparknotes, won't out him out.



But if you didn't read it and came up with a similar argument on your own anyway, it's not plagiarism. So it's really on the honor code of whether the ideas were original or inspired by another source. Also, I do not think getting advice/ asking for a push in the right direction is cheating. Just saying =)

User avatar
Masily box
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:01 am UTC

Re: Shakespeare Comparison

Postby Masily box » Wed May 20, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

It's not really on the honor code. For reasonably well thought-out original ideas, it's almost always pretty clear when they've been lifted from someone else. The chances of independently stumbling upon exactly the same insight as one that made it into a published journal article are pretty slim.

Chelinda
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 3:38 am UTC

Re: Shakespeare Comparison

Postby Chelinda » Mon May 25, 2009 12:55 am UTC

The Meaning of Shakespeare by Harold Goddard. It's a bit dated now, but still has some of the best insights on the Bard I've seen. http://www.amazon.com/Meaning-Shakespea ... 0226300412


Return to “School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests