Stupid classmates

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Demonata

Stupid classmates

Postby Demonata » Tue May 19, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

Hi, do any of you get those really really immature/idiotic/just downright wierd people in your classes?
I'm in the top set for science, yet i'm "too smart" I ask a teacher about singularities and everyone groans... Do you guys get that? Or am i just in a really bad school?

Username4242
Location: (Previously) Montana State University--Bozeman, Montana.

Re: Stupid classmates

Postby Username4242 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

I think you'll find that most everywhere. It's mostly a matter of how you approach your intelligence--don't hide it by any means, but don't boast either. Not saying you do, but it certainly helps either way!

But if you're just asking questions, fuck 'em.

Velict

Postby Velict » Tue May 19, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

There are a ton of stupid students at my school, but not so many in my classes. There are occasionally people who can't enunciate ideas particularly well, and thus are mistaken for being "stupid" at times, but no one is clearly a moron. I do happen to take the most difficult coursework available at a large high school, however, so I admit that my fellow classmates are a fairly minute demographic in the general student population.

As for your singularities example, I'm not so sure that people "groaning" when you ask about singularities is a good indicator of stupidity. If singularities are rather off-topic for moment, and there is a substantial amount of material to cover or work to be done, I think it's a natural response to be frustrated if the class gets derailed by your question.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

If it is something that is way above what is covered in class, ask after class in office hour or something. If it is something that's just a small extension of the class material, then I have nothing to say other than the fact that you are going to get an easy A.

Ratio

Postby Ratio » Wed May 20, 2009 12:41 am UTC

I was reading an article about the shape of the universe, I asked a friend what he thought of it, and he gave me a blank stare, followed by, "I don't understand it, and neither do you!"

What implied I didn't understand it was beond me, I just asked him what he thought, without talking about what I thought.
Last edited by Ratio on Wed May 20, 2009 10:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Wed May 20, 2009 12:42 am UTC

Think of it like this:

You suicide bombed the other students' trains of thought. :P

May I ask, first, what you were covering? If it was about the life cycle of stars and he mentioned black holes in passing, then that's not a good time to ask. If he was actually talking about black holes and you asked about the singularity, then that's a good time to ask. If it was the former, you just al quada'd the other students trains of thought because when they were all thinking about a red giant and how it burns more fuel than dwarf star, you asked about something unrelated. If it was the latter, then it depends on the level of the class. If it's a basic class, then they might not be ready for that stuff, but if it was an honors class, then it would have been a great time. AP already knows it (rule of thumb: AP is about a year ahead of anything you do in your class).
Spoiler:

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:51 am UTC

Eh, I occasionally see this stuff, but it's nothing big.

I've had similar experiences. My AP US History teacher was teaching about gerrymandering, and he said if anyone knew what it meant he said (jokingly) that he would stop teaching and let that person teach. I knew what it was and I said it. He was amazed and I got people asking me how I knew it. This happens a lot in my AP class. I can't say I don't enjoy the reactions.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

Bearboy

Postby Bearboy » Wed May 20, 2009 6:25 am UTC

Well I have had a few times when people are just amazed that I know sometime already.

But you want real stupidity. A girl in my foodtech class(Shut up. The way my elective subjects worked out it was that or Spanish) comes up with such gems as "Did you know bread has yeast in it?" and "Aren't you afraid of being eaten by bears?"(When I was talking about hiking). It may not seem like a stupid question except I'm Australian. Told her about drop bears though :D

Demonata

Postby Demonata » Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

We were doing about after a supernova, Red Supergiants can turn into black holes (i wasn't really listening, i have a very small attention span :lol:)
Just to show how stupid people get in my school, (this person does additional science and is in top set for most subjects) got him to eat 46p, yes consume 46 pence in change! A 20p, two 10p's, a 5p and a penny... It apparently took 26hrs for it to be umm "removed" from his system.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed May 20, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

I think it's all a matter of context.

Did you ask about singularities because you wanted to look smart or because you were genuinely curious? Do you ask this sort of question frequently?

Odds are, the rest of your class wants to do as little as possible to cover all of the course material--they might not have any outside interest in the subject matter at all. This doesn't make them stupid necessarily--perhaps it makes them not curious in the same avenues you are.

Derailing a class and sending the teacher on a tangent can be good or bad. If the topic was originally boring and you're stuck in class for a great deal of time afterwards--it's sometimes a good idea (I've done that), if necessary course material (that will have to be covered later) is getting skipped for that day--it gets old quick.

I've noticed a trope on the xkcd fora that I'd like to call 'average student' bashing. Generally it involves calling your classmates idiots for not being interested in course material above and beyond the curricula or for asking questions you define as stupid when they genuinely want to know the answer. It also seems to be pretty course specific--I hear a lot of this bashing regarding science and math classes and relatively little from Phys Ed. or Shop. I don't think someone is necessarily stupid for not sharing interest in my particular areas of expertise--I expect that they have devoted their time elsewhere (to their own interests) and that they could probably best me at those.
Rice Puddin.

Demonata

Postby Demonata » Wed May 20, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

I didn't mean it like that Rinsaikeru, i meant that in some of the top sets there are people who don't understand a thing and eat coins/make paper masks/shout "backscratcher" (btw that's one of the best family guy quotes ever ^_^, not suitable for class tho). You get the same thing in Engineering (i think you reffered to it as shop?) with CAD (so easy) a lot of people are perplexed by the idea that you can draw lines on a computer screen! Are most of you based in American schools, I take it? Because in Great Britian we never use GPA's and stuff.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed May 20, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

I think Rinsai got it right... Not saying that's what you're doing, but it's the reason I never take someone at face value if they start talking about how "stupid" their classmates are.

In most classes, I only ask questions for understanding or clarification, not to bring up new material (even if it's very closely related). If I want to do that, I can do so after class without wasting anyone else's time. The obvious exception is in discussion classes and seminars (never seen one in a high school, only in university) where the purpose and structure of the class are completely different, and geared towards bringing up new points. Otherwise, I'd just feel like an ass for wasting people's time.

The only time I get irritated is if someone else is significantly slowing down the class with questions on material we should've already covered. I try to cut folks slack, and only occasionally did this happen in college.

Equally, I get perplexed when other students are surprised that I know something that we already covered in a previous class--pretty much like Lithium's gerrymandering example. This happened a lot in middle and high school--where I felt like half of any given year was wasted on reviewing material we were supposed to have covered the previous year. KF
~Kizyr

Squid Tamer

Postby Squid Tamer » Wed May 20, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

Everyone in my English class is an idiot. A few months ago we had a research paper. I didn't work particularly hard on it, and pretty much barely tried on some parts. Now, just a few days ago, we got our scores back, and the class was told that I had gotten the highest grade on the paper. I looked at my paper... 76%. A mid C. Highest grade in the class. I did it the night before it was due! :o
This class is the type that makes rude noises while the teacher isn't paying attention, and picks on and threatens "weird" or "gay" students. In other words, they're not just bad students, they're generally bad people. I'm very glad to know that many of them failed the class, and I believe that at least one of them won't be moving on to the next grade.

Threb

Postby Threb » Wed May 20, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:Equally, I get perplexed when other students are surprised that I know something that we already covered in a previous class--pretty much like Lithium's gerrymandering example. This happened a lot in middle and high school--where I felt like half of any given year was wasted on reviewing material we were supposed to have covered the previous year. KF

Oh my lord, this. Covering the metric system that was taught to us in several classes in the 5th, 6th, and 7th (probably eighth, too. I home schooled that year.) grades for a week in a high school science class is horrible.

Also, on the subject of my home schooling and people being stupid, (or at least gullible) when I home schooled in eighth grade, I figured some sort of rumor might pop up about me since I only decided I'd try homeschooling that year in the middle of the summer without really telling anybody. Knowing the sort of rumors that usually got started, I knew they'd be pretty boring and uninspired, so I figured I'd start my own.

So I got my friends to tell everybody I had rabies. I guess that's kind of boring and uninspired, but it beats the sort of thing that'd go in its place. I don't remember the exact details of it. I think we even had a whole thing about me having to go to Alaska (I lived there before I moved to Florida; which is where I am now.) for treatment and how I got it from a raccoon. When I came to school to take the state's standardized test, I got asked "Do you have rabies?" by about ten different people.

It's now nearing the end of ninth grade, and I'm still occasionally asked that. (it's "did you have rabies" now, though)

I can't believe anybody bought into that story.

534n

Postby 534n » Thu May 21, 2009 10:30 am UTC

I can be fairly certain at least some of my classmates are stupid. Here are a few remarks I have gotten over the past few years:

"Mr. C, how do I turn the computer on?" (The computers had an on button that said ON in bright red).
"Yeah dude. I like, hacked my IPOD, and now it's 200gb instead of 20gb." (Let's just ignore his complete lack of understanding of how a computer works)
"Wait I don't get this. Don't positives attract positives?" (After we spent 3 weeks on electricity {a 3 day unit for every other class}, most people still didn't get it)
"Mr. L, why couldn't they just make boats that went over the ice in Siberia?"
"No, North America has more countries than Europe. I mean, 50 states is technically 32 countries." (No clue where he got this from, but he was dead serious.)

monkandmovies13

Postby monkandmovies13 » Sun May 31, 2009 4:11 am UTC

When we were discussing The Scarlet Letter in my class, there were an unnervingly large number of girls who said that Hester was wrong to cheat on her horrible husband whom she thought was dead, and so they don't feel bad for her or Dimmesdale at all. Everything that came to them was just.

I wasn't particularly fond of the book, but I was outraged by that.

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Sun May 31, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

In my 20th Century History class someone actully(sp) asked 'Rommel is the British General who led D-Day right?' It's in fact Eisenhower an American General.
Rommel was the German General on the other side of the channel. :roll: :roll:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun May 31, 2009 2:34 pm UTC

Impulse97 wrote:In my 20th Century History class someone actully(sp) asked 'Rommel is the British General who led D-Day right?' It's in fact ...

Arthur Tedder, Bernard "Monty" Montgomery, Trafford Leigh-Mallory & Bertram Ramsay who are the British generals who lead Operation Overlord, alongside Eisenhower.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:10 am UTC

534n wrote:"Yeah dude. I like, hacked my IPOD, and now it's 200gb instead of 20gb." (Let's just ignore his complete lack of understanding of how a computer works)

It's entirely possible that this student replaced the hard drive on an older iPod in an example of engineering mastery.
It's more likely he's an idiot but I'd want more examples before I wrote that student off.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

cmd

Postby cmd » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:27 am UTC

Demonata wrote:Hi, do any of you get those really really immature/idiotic/just downright wierd people in your classes?
I'm in the top set for science, yet i'm "too smart" I ask a teacher about singularities and everyone groans... Do you guys get that? Or am i just in a really bad school?

Asking questions about things you already have learned about in order to impress your knowledge upon your teacher doesn't come off well.

At least, that's how I understood it.

Spoiler:
Here's a hint, neither does posting in a forum about it :roll:

drego642

Postby drego642 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

I'm not an Honors/AP student (except Music Theory, but there are no dumb people in that class :P), but I do usually get stuck with the "dumb" classmates. In Chemistry, everyone but me hated the teacher (I actually knew him from outside of school and was psyched to be taking him class, but some of the other people made it hell). I actually got along with the people in the class too, but it just didn't have the kind of feel a classroom should. It was weird. The "dumb classes" still haunt me to this day. My Italian class consists mainly of stupid people of the "jockish" variety (male and female) who don't want to learn the language. It's not that I hate them, they just slow down the class for everyone else. I don't even know how many chapters behind the other classes we are... Not that it matters, I've started reading ahead in class lol.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

Oh lord... So, so many people in my year/school that just dont have too much going on up there. Dumb questions are asked all the time. I mean really, seriously dumb. I could go on and on about a few people that continue to baffle me with their dumbness. They just arent intelligent. Fine, decent people, but ARGH DO THEY MAKE ME ANGRY WHEN THEY SLOW DOWN CLASS.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:37 am UTC

There was this boy in my biology class. He's pretty smart, but sometimes he can be such an ass. He's the type to brag about his grades and stuff like that. Well, he made the infamous statement:

"When women hit menopause, don't they die?"

Just goes to show you.. it's not always the dumb kids who make the dumb statements. :wink:
(He was also the kid that tried to slow the class down by constantly asking really off topic questions and making stupid remarks.)
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

mastered

Postby mastered » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

I remember when the teacher told people their grade was a C and they whooped with joy. Incomprehensible.
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:21 pm UTC

To be fair, that isnt exactly "incomprehensible."

I was wooping for joy when I got a D+ in my year 9 World Geography class this year. Ive since brought it up to an A, but for a while the teacher ( an ex Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader, if that gives you any idea of her pesonality) was kicking my butt. She was a bitch, and really didnt like the group of people I hang out with, so lumped me into the same classification. Just to be fair, some really intelligent people can do poorly in some subjects, and I was really excited when I got myself to a passing grade.

Sorry. I just have had this. And thought the same exact thing before.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:16 am UTC

mastered wrote:I remember when the teacher told people their grade was a C and they whooped with joy. Incomprehensible.

I'd be whooping with joy if I could pull off a C in AP biology next year. I'm taking it in 10th grade, along with another AP and Mandarin III.
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

Delass

Postby Delass » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:16 am UTC

The problem is also stupid requirements. Especially say, foreign language. How many kids want to become fluent? 3? How many want to learn "hello", "goodbye", and "wheres the bathroom?" 50? How many need to take it? All 500 or so. This is especially so in schools where spanish and french are the only options. Of all the classes I have taken at highschool, I think 2 might be useful in the future.

Birk

Postby Birk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:35 am UTC

Astronomy Survey Course: Just killing time at a local community college while waiting to get into a 4-year university.

Question was very simple: A particle leaves the sun at 10% the speed of light. How long does it take to reach Earth? Zzz-city. I know.

Girl across from me says: "Okay so I looked on wikipedia and like I see the speed of light but it doesn't say ANYTHING about what 10% the speed of light is."

Same girl also didn't know what a right triangle was, had a 33% in Remedial Algebra, and wanted to be an architect...

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:00 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
kapojinha wrote:I'd be whooping with joy if I could pull off a C in AP biology next year. I'm taking it in 10th grade, along with another AP and Mandarin III.

Funny, I very nearly did the same thing (no second Ap that year); out of curiosity, you don't happen to go to school in NJ, do you?

I like my college classes now; the idiots stay home.

No, I live in Thailand.. :mrgreen:

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:02 am UTC

Birk wrote:Astronomy Survey Course: Just killing time at a local community college while waiting to get into a 4-year university.

Question was very simple: A particle leaves the sun at 10% the speed of light. How long does it take to reach Earth? Zzz-city. I know.

Girl across from me says: "Okay so I looked on wikipedia and like I see the speed of light but it doesn't say ANYTHING about what 10% the speed of light is."

Same girl also didn't know what a right triangle was, had a 33% in Remedial Algebra, and wanted to be an architect...

She will build great things one day.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:11 am UTC

Birk wrote:Astronomy Survey Course: Just killing time at a local community college while waiting to get into a 4-year university.

Did anyone actually show her a few pages of multivariable calculus? I think she would change her mind after that. If not, then I fear for the people living anywhere 100 miles from where she lives.

MagicMarker

Postby MagicMarker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:40 am UTC

My friend was in History and they were dicsussing various religions.One girl puts her hand up and says "I'm like,half buddhist."
Yeah,you'll get stupid student in all schools,no matter how good the school.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

What's wrong about being half-Buddhist? Maybe she just identifies with some of the religion, maybe one of her parents is a Buddhist, so she identifies herself as 'half.' Seriously, this isn't like saying that you've dug half a hole(unless the hole has to be a certain size, then you can dig half of it, so I guess you have to have statements in context).

Also, in reference to the OP, yeah, it depends on the context. Sometimes people can be ready to move on to a different topic, and then someone goes and asks something that's only vaguely related and you know that now the teacher is going to go on about it for about 10 minutes when you're just ready to move on (how can someone else be bored by a subject you find so fascinating :shock:, I'm sorry, but my brother does this all the time, and it sometimes gets on my nerves because even though I can understand what he's going on about he just has so much fun in explaining things, or asking about the minutiae of the topic in a class that sometimes you just have to groan.)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

fwlbg

Postby fwlbg » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:54 am UTC

I wasn't sure whether to vomit or burst out laughing at this one:

A 14/15 year old student in my History class asked the teacher if Japan is the same as China. The teacher kindly explained that they are different countries, but I bet when she got home she either laughed hysterically or vomited with diarrhoea. Or both.

XD

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:27 am UTC

fwlbg wrote:A 14/15 year old student in my History class asked the teacher if Japan is the same as China.

What exactly did the student mean by "the same"? :?

Telestriation

Postby Telestriation » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:38 am UTC

Having gone to a private, Catholic school for the past two highschool years, and having wanted to kill myself for 90% of the time, I have learned things about the classes:

Math you can get distracted with later. Science, if you get it, can be ignored. Since I frequent xkcd, guess what I did? Electives are blow off classes. English is hell on wheels, as is your language if you have a bad teacher.

However, math and science questions you ask AFTERWARDS. They are aggregating subjects, and if you're one of the kids who knew about singularities, even on a rudimentary scale, then you shouldn't be clubbing other kids with your questions. Trust me on this. I was like you, and I was highly disliked. Now I'm mildly disliked (Had to find out the freezing point of ethanol for my friend and I to perform a harebrained scheme).
Elective and English can be distracted from, because, quite honestly, you learn nothing in those classes.
Tangent! Since it was a Catholic school, we had THEOLOGY. Off-topic questions made you popular. (Do animals have souls? What if she gets it from a toilet seat? That I was on?)

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:01 am UTC

Telestriation wrote:Elective and English can be distracted from, because, quite honestly, you learn nothing in those classes.

Knowing nothing about your elective class, I am unable to comment about the quality of the material. However, when English classes are taught well, you learn a great deal.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Darklore13

Postby Darklore13 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

There have been two classes I've been to where I had really stupid classmates for the whole class.
First, I had an 8th grade English class where basically noone in the class cared, tried, and even sat still. Everyone interrupted, very few people regularly did homework, and everyone complained. One person would ask, without fail on every new assignment or unit, "Why are we learning this?"
I had an easy time in that class though. It was a normal level English class, and I was smart enough to be in honors, I just didn't do much homework. Ironically, I was generally the best at doing my homework that year because we always had class time to do it, and while everyone else talked and got maybe a quarter of it done (max), I would just sit and finish it.

Secondly, I have a Japanese class which, although awesome, has it's share of people who don't get it much and that don't really care. It was mainly in Japanese 3 (which I just finished) because we have a new teacher (same teacher for 1 and 2, but different one for the rest), who uses alot of Japanese in normal talking to get the class used to it. However... she is hard to follow or understand sometimes, so the class gets lost alot and takes a while to move on.
Also in that class, the teacher is VERY lenient/oblivious, so alot of strange antics happen. For example, the class regularly throws paper balls across the room mand flings rubber bands when she isn't looking. There have maybe been 2 punishments for this max (and they were both small, like leaving the room for the class period). She also had in-school suspension forms filled out (from the beginning of the year!) for some of the students and she never turned them in.

That was a really fun class though, because she let so much happen and so many wierd things happened in that class that noone would dare do in any other class. (Someone google searched a bong picture to show to teacher). I learned alot in that class, mostly from the people around me though. There were a few of us who are really interested in Japanese and we all kind of sat in the same corner, so we were always able to get everything done and answer our questions. We managed even though the class generally caused us to be unable to move on from whatever we were doing for a long time.

Both classes were fun, English because it was so easy and it was fun watching what everyone did, and Japanese because I saw all of the wierd stuff and still learned.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

Darklore13 wrote: One person would ask, without fail on every new assignment or unit, "Why are we learning this?"

You know, in an english class, I'd say this can be a fairly valid question. Its not immediately obvious why performing a literary analysis is at all useful (especially in grade 8). Now I suppose the person could just be acting up but if they ask why something is being learned and the teacher just gives a glib answer or a "just do it" type answer, they're going to be inclined to ask again if they are in fact legitmately wondering.

baultista

Postby baultista » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Demonata wrote:Hi, do any of you get those really really immature/idiotic/just downright wierd people in your classes?

If you're in university, I would recommend leaving trivial, detailed questions until the end of the lecture unless you think that the answer to that question would be of benefit to the entire class.

I've been in classes where one guy would bring lectures to a halt by asking incredibly specific questions that didn't help anyone.
Could God write a program so long that not even he himself would have the memory to compile it in a single pass? -- Hamish Campbell

Return to “School”