Stupid classmates

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Kow

Re: Stupid classmates

Postby Kow » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:10 am UTC

I always felt bad for this girl I had in my English class one year. She had a wonderful work ethic and was eager to learn but was dumb as a rock. Fortunately she stayed quiet most of the time, so it never showed, but every so often a little sliver of stupid would appear.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote: Half of them are sitting up in their chairs and taking notes and do their homework, and I'm the one they hate for being a suck up? WTH? If I'm slouching in my seat playing tetris or reading, and I'm still keeping up with the lecture better than them, it dosen't say something about my intelligence and work ethic, it says something about their's. It's worse when it's one of those questions that he's given the gorram answer to multiple times over the past few days, and they still seem to hate me for no reason. I don't get it.[/rant]

So you're answering all the questions while slacking off and you're confused as to why people will be upset? It makes you look like a know-it-all AND its making the other people who cannot answer things feel worse about themselves. Of course they're going to start disliking you. It may not be rational but...well welcome to humanity.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

Kow wrote:I always felt bad for this girl I had in my English class one year. She had a wonderful work ethic and was eager to learn but was dumb as a rock. Fortunately she stayed quiet most of the time, so it never showed, but every so often a little sliver of stupid would appear.

Oh, thank go you didn't have to be faced with intellectual inferiority! That could have been awkward!

If I had to feel sorry for this person, it would be because she had to try to learn in an atmosphere of condescension. But I shouldn't. I'm sure those slivers were very unfortunate for you.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:42 am UTC

I'm at a top-tier law school so I would've thought that we wouldn't really have really stupid comments made by students. Nope!

In Federal Income Taxation
Professor: "...So while fringe benefits that can be used by spouses aren't included as taxable income, those same benefits are taxed when used by domestic partners, since the federal government doesn't recognize domestic partners as spouses."
Student (who is on law review): "What about for states that recognize same-sex marriage?"
Professor: "The marriage may be recognized by the state but the federal government still won't recognize the marriage for tax purposes."
Student: 'What about when the employee pays their federal income taxes to the state?"
Professor: Laugh "You mean when the employee pays their state income tax to, say Massachusetts?"
Student: "No, I mean what about when the employee pays their federal income taxes to Massachusetts?"
Teacher: "Are you kidding?"

In Patent Class
Professor: (Very Paraphrased): "Anticipation is when all all the features of a claim are covered by a single prior art reference."
Student: "Does this mean if someone had patented a chemistry book and then, someone else tried to patent quantum mechanics, the second person couldn't have gotten the patent on quantum mechanics because chemistry anticipates quantum mechanics?"
Professor: "I don't even know where to start correcting that. Come to my office hours as soon as possible."
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

ohaus

Postby ohaus » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:11 am UTC

I think I fall into the "stupid classmate" category. Well, at least in some of my classes. I'm always the last person to finish a quiz in chem(just cuz i quadruple-check everything), and I ask quite a few dumb questions in my algebra/Trig/something class.

EXAMPLE(VERY paraphrased): "So... you multiply by the coefficient?

... What's a coefficient?"

I still have an average of at least an 85 in that class though, somehow.

MrLighter

Postby MrLighter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

One kid, in my AP US history class said this-

"In the Revolutionary War, the Northerners would carry slaves to freedom on an underground train." The teacher laughed for 5 minutes.

In the same class, this happened-
Teacher: Now when a slave would escape, the owner would cut off a foot, to keep them from running again.
Student: What do you mean by cut off their foot?
Teacher: I mean, they would remove the foot from the leg
Student: How would they do that?
Teacher (Trying not to laugh) With a knife or saw.
Student: Oh OK. But whey did they cut off the slave's foot?
WTF? Alien Nazis...

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

There was a girl in one of my required high school classes whom I had first met in the 4th grade, and since then had never managed to give any indication that she was more intelligent than a jar of chunky salsa. Basically Cirno in human form. (No, she didn't have much of a work ethic either.) One of my favorite quotes from her was when she suddenly piped up in the middle of class:

Her: "So I got a speeding ticket, and I'm gonna go contest it in court." (Note: As far as I can remember, there was no discussion about speeding tickets, court cases, or anything of the sort prior to this. She just likes talking about herself.)
Teacher: "Well, were you speeding?"
Her: "Yes."

Teacher then proceeded to try and tell her a couple times that her case wouldn't hold up in so much as a food court, but she didn't quite get it.

And another old quote, from earlier than the above one:

Me: "... a 60 gigabyte hard drive."
Classmate: "I have a 61 gigabyte hard drive!"
Me: "They don't make 61 gigabyte hard drives."
Classmate: "Well, mine was custom-made! My whole computer was custom-made, and it's the size of a room!"
Me: (trying not to laugh too hard) "Then you were ripped off."
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

RogerMurdock

Postby RogerMurdock » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:18 am UTC

They groan when you ask about singularities because you're being a smartass. Nobody wants to hear you have a basically one on one conversation with a teacher while they sit there and twiddle their thumbs. Especially if it's eating up class time.

But seriously, I have some pretty awesome quotes from some stupid people i've been in class with. Kid gets done with a 10 minute presentation on his uncles life, detailing his various accomplishments and diplomatic endeavors.
Girl says "So what would say was his greatest.....you know?"
"Achievement...?"
"No, you know, thing he did"
"Yeah, you're asking for his greatest accomplishment or achievement"
"Oh thats...oh yeah i guess thats what I'm asking for"

I take away from that they she literally didn't know the meaning of achievement.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:43 pm UTC

RogerMurdock wrote:...some stupid people ... didn't know the meaning of ...

I believe you don't know the meaning of the word stupid. Hint: It doesn't mean ignorant.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

RogerMurdock

Postby RogerMurdock » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

Dream wrote:
RogerMurdock wrote:...some stupid people ... didn't know the meaning of ...

I believe you don't know the meaning of the word stupid. Hint: It doesn't mean ignorant.

Please! Educate me! Because all this time I've thought that "stupid" meant exactly what I and everyone I have ever known has used it to mean.

But I guess I was wrong. So go on.

GrantSolar

Postby GrantSolar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

Stupid/Weird people are everywhere! During my girlfriend's English Lit class, they were watching some of an adaptation of Wuthering Heights when a horse appeared on screen. One girl in the class tends to talk quite loudly but not really about anything relevant. At this point, she exclaimed, "I'd like to be a horse". No one took any notice of her and after a while she spoke up again, "Actually, I wouldn't like to be a horse because then you'd get people riding you all day". The class was subsequently broken up by a sporadic 'weighing up' of whether or not she would like life as a horse.

modnar379

Postby modnar379 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:18 am UTC

At my school, we have two lunches (A lunch and B lunch). People in A lunch have 4th period during B lunch, and vice versa. (I'm not sure if I explained this very well.) One girl, who shall be known as Girl 1, went around on the first day of school asking everyone in her 4th period class if they had B lunch or not... She also frequently tries to show off how much Spanish she knows. One day in class she called herself a dog and didn't realize it. Girl 1 asks exceedingly obvious questions in my science class, and is one of the most annoying people I have ever met. I mean, she asks the teacher to explain things he just finished explaining five times. Then, there's Girl 2. She also asks, well, stupid questions. She's also in my science class. We were talking about which materials are living, and which aren't, and we started talking about polyester. Here's how the conversation went once she started talking.
G2: "Someday, I'm going to name my kid Polyester!"
T: "That kid's going to have a lot of trouble in middle school..."
G2: "No! You could call her Poly, or Ester, or, or..."
Me: (facepalm)
She didn't really understand why the class was laughing so hard. She's also said that she wishes she was a horse. +

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:32 am UTC

Why was the class laughing so hard?
Ⓞⓞ◯

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Why was the class laughing so hard?

I wonder too. Poly-st-yrene almost works but much less elegantly.

I have found the workaround by surrounding myself with very intelligent people so I would be the stupid one, relatively speaking. Except I'm actually conscious of it.

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:25 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Impulse97 wrote:In my 20th Century History class someone actully(sp) asked 'Rommel is the British General who led D-Day right?' It's in fact ...

Arthur Tedder, Bernard "Monty" Montgomery, Trafford Leigh-Mallory & Bertram Ramsay who are the British generals who lead Operation Overlord, alongside Eisenhower.

True, but Eisenhower was the head of the group(his title was Supreme Allied Commander). Not to diminish the Brit's contribution though.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

nebuchadne22er

Postby nebuchadne22er » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:27 am UTC

Chen wrote:
Darklore13 wrote: One person would ask, without fail on every new assignment or unit, "Why are we learning this?"

You know, in an english class, I'd say this can be a fairly valid question. Its not immediately obvious why performing a literary analysis is at all useful (especially in grade 8). Now I suppose the person could just be acting up but if they ask why something is being learned and the teacher just gives a glib answer or a "just do it" type answer, they're going to be inclined to ask again if they are in fact legitmately wondering.

This can really be something that the teacher needs to do a better job addressing. Most students if not all students work better if they have a good reason as to why they need to be working.

sikyon

Postby sikyon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:42 am UTC

If you have quesitons that pertain directly to your understanding of the course material, ie you don't understand something the teacher said, then raise your hand and ask.

If you have a question that is "interestnig" then approach the teacher after class. If you can't remember to do it by that point then the question wasn't really that important at all.

I also tend to find that people remember more when they hear something stupid asked, rather than when they ask something stupid. Not saying that they can't remember, just that I wouldn't bet on it.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:28 am UTC

I hate people that make no effort to pronounce words. Skipping over words makes you look dumb. Sure, sometimes words are hard to pronounce and I know I get it wrong from time to time, but for fuck's sake Koran is not pronounced "korean!" Arab is not pronounced Uh-RUB. Minaret isn't hard at all. Sound this shit out.
Also, in Social Studies type classes, don't make fun of other cultures because you aren't from it, it just makes you look like an ass.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

yurf_rendenmein

Postby yurf_rendenmein » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

I have to deal with that a lot. Theres this one girl in my classes that is so stupid that it really pisses me off. The best example of this is from History class, where she asked the teacher: "Wasn't Martin Luther King the REAL first black president?"

Chicostick

Postby Chicostick » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:31 pm UTC

The dumbest question I have ever heard happened a few years back in my history class:

Classic ditsy cheerleader girl: "So why don't we have any real pictures of George Washington?"

Teacher trying hard to believe in students: "Do you mean paintings.. or.."

Classic ditsy cheerleader girl: "No like camera pictures."

Teacher losing all hope: "...are you serious?"

This girl has sense become a stripper. No joke.

There is also this one girl in one of my english courses here who without fail asks a question RIGHT at the end of class. The clock literally strikes the end and her hand pops up to ask an incredibly stupid question. The thing is, the question does not seem stupid at first glance, it seems legitimate. But then when you get at the meat of it, you realize she's basically asking the teacher to repeat everything she just said again. I don't mind people asking clarifying questions, but at the end of class every time? Lately I have literally just packed up and left instead of sitting through this silly argument.

Then there was another example (in the same class) where a group of students and the teacher got into a debate over the existence of a "blue mist" inside the story. They started trying to link this mist up with some sort of complex metaphor, when it has absolutely NO impact on the story whatsoever. Literally none. The professor tried to explain this, but they insisted that this briefly mentioned object in the story meant everything. Then when we went over how gender was ambiguous without the use of personal pronouns, and how the story hints at a link to homosexuality, they wouldn't hear it. They were certain that the protagonist was male, even though the story NEVER SAID it was a guy.

All this crap about "oh be nice to stupid people" kind of loses steam here in college I feel. If you're stupid and don't get it, you have two options: Work harder so you do get it, or drop out and stop wasting our time. In high school everyone has to be all nice and gentle with stupid people. Professors tend to be less gentle. This is one of the reasons I enjoy college MUCH more than my public schooling. I don't have to pander to idiots who are basically wasting our time with their stupidity. By this I'm not talking about the person who works hard and is just a little slower, I mean the "lets ride four wheelers!" dumb shit hicks that think school is for chumps and spend all their time doing useless things and not paying attention in class.

TheWeirdDarkGirl23

Postby TheWeirdDarkGirl23 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

there's this girl in our science class(i wouldn't call her stupid, she just annoying as hell) she's always yelling in class and complaining about things and telling this girl to shut up, and this girl never did anything to her, and she laughs out loud while people are trying to learn. and then she always gets up to talk to her friend, and she said something bad to me.she is just a bitch.oh yeah i almost forgot , there's this boy in our period 5th math class who's always calling the teacher a basehead and saying "man, fuck you and your life", and then he uses the n word and disruptes the class, but the teacher doesn't really do anything about it.
"HELL IS LIKE SOMEONE PULLING YOUR SINS FROM THE DARK CORNERS OF YOUR SOUL AND SERVING IT TO YOU (ON A PLATTER) IN AN ENDLESS LOOP OF TORTURE.- "

lemurdoom

Postby lemurdoom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:00 am UTC

I'm in AP European History Class and we are discussing the Spanish Habsburgs and how they pretty much inbred themselves out of existence. One of the girls in my class (the kind of person where you wonder "why the fuck are you in an AP class?") asks the question: "What is incest?" Now my teacher, obviously trying to contain his laughter, tries to explain it without actually saying the word "sex". This results was a very awkward 30 seconds.

Maybe not a stupid question so much as an awkward one, but you can't really blame her.

Side note: My teacher is the kind of guy who will poke fun at the stupid/annoying kids in class, and usually uses any instance of their stupidity/annoyance as a reference for future taunting. This was the one topic he never came back to...

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:55 am UTC

lemurdoom wrote:One of the girls in my class (the kind of person where you wonder "why the fuck are you in an AP class?") asks the question: "What is incest?" Now my teacher, obviously trying to contain his laughter, tries to explain it without actually saying the word "sex". This results was a very awkward 30 seconds.
Similar story: in my chem class, one student asked what a libido was (I can't remember how we got onto that now. Talking about something which helped repress the libidos of soliders). My teacher doesn't hold back from saying the word 'sex', and the student goes bright red. He's the sort of teacher who makes out that he doesn't get embarrassed by anything.

I'll dob myself in for a pretty stupid quote.
Teacher: You're looking pensive today.
Me (vaguely): Oh, no, I'm just thinking...
I've done that two or three times, I think.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

lemurdoom

Postby lemurdoom » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:46 am UTC

Another quote from the same girl: "Is ham cow?"

hopesdead

Postby hopesdead » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:02 am UTC

I don't know about my classmates being stupid but my school does have a lot of drug users. Some are stupid enough to smoke weed at school (and have gotten caught by teachers when they smelled it). Others who do drugs might not do any at school but joke about it during class. Today a kid said he was going to go do meth after class which was a total joke and the teacher knew that but he has to report that anyways. How stupid does a person have to get then?

However as a school in general my school is viewed as kind of stupid by the rest of the district. However none of them really understand us I guess. I go to a middle college and some how people from other schools think it for those get denied from another school (a school for those who get expelled and is located next to a police station). First off each student that comes to this school has to apply to get in and we have only denied students due to space. Plus if you go to a middle college you get to attend college classes during high school for free. However, due to college classes we have no honors or AP classes and no freshmen. Our principle doesn't think freshmen should be taking college classes their first year of high school.

What does strike me is a long running prank by a former assistant principle. The joke was that a teacher at the school was the coach for a water polo team (we have no sports here) and that our multi-purpose room converts into a pool. People got fooled by this three years ago and a few weeks ago I heard an announcement for a water polo meeting. I wonder who is still continuing the joke. When a teacher says they coach a high school water polo team at a school that has no sports and let alone no pool, it has to be a joke. Oh well.
How could you possibly think typing "import skynet" was a good thing?

Postby 123 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:43 am UTC

"Is a penny a solid?"
Enough said.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that won't stop me from secretly hating you

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:49 am UTC

There was a girl in my maths lectures last year and these were long lectures so every hour the lecturer would give us a break and she would put jokes up one the board. One of these classes she puts this joke up:
Not the exact quote but the same punchline wrote:A Russian, an American, and a Blonde were talking one day. The Russian said, "We were the first in space!" The American said, "We were the first on the moon!" The Blonde said, "So what, we're going to be the first on the sun!"

The Russian and the American looked at each other and shook their heads. "You can't land on the sun, you idiot! you'll burn up!" said the Russian.

To which the blonde replied, "We're not stupid, you know. We're going at night!"

My friends and I finish reading the joke and the girl says to us "I don't get it" and we try explaining the joke to her and after this she replies "But if they got at night they won't burn up!". She was dead serious.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

Return to “School”