What really burns me...

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Impulse97

What really burns me...

Postby Impulse97 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:33 am UTC

Hadn't seen a post like this anywere else so i'll start it. This thread is intended as a place to vent all your school related fustrations.

What really burns me is the whole superficail(sp) additude that ppl have in HS and the whole conforming to what the popular ppl dictate. Those (atleast in our school) being the ones who have the parents with the most money or the ones with parents who just plain don't give a crap. And reffering back to an older thread of someone's, the fact that virgins are made to feel like freaks. We had our last full day of class before finals this past friday and the sub let us listen to our ipods. When the one popular girl at our table found out that I don't like or know much rap/hip hop she was astouned because as anyone knows rap is the only music to listen to. I tried to dismis the subject with a 'Dare to be Different' like commnet and she said 'You'll never get laid with that additude'. And I just thought what the heck does that have to do with anything?!?

It's the idea, that it seems most of my peers have that bugs me really. The 'being yourself and having opinoins and likes outside of what the popular ppl like werid and geeky'.

Well, now that i've said more than my fair share, Anyone else have things that bug them about any school? HS? Collage?
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

keeperofdakeys

Re: What really burns me...

Postby keeperofdakeys » Sun May 24, 2009 4:36 am UTC

1. The fact that my final year of high school classes are focussed on 'passing the exam', sure you need to do well to get into good uni courses, but I want to Learn things, not just pass an exam
2. it being socially required to have a school uniform, if most of the public schools tried this in australia they would probably get a lot of criticism

AtlasDrugged

Postby AtlasDrugged » Sun May 24, 2009 9:01 am UTC

What irks me most is that many of the people at the (private) school I go to don't actually want to learn or better themselves, but instead engage in the conformist rubbish the OP so rightly criticised. If they're not there to receive a decent education, they may as well pay for somebody clever from the state school down the road to go instead, but apparently expanding the networking opportunites of Ms. Richstuckupteenagegirl and her equally annoying brother is more important than learning.

*sigh*

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Mon May 25, 2009 2:08 pm UTC

Why won't more people sign up for AP Government and Politics/AP Macroeconomics? There only is like 30 kids signed up, and I don't want one class of 30! Come on, don't be assholes, it's not that hard. This class is extremely important to me and I wish more people would sign up so there would only be like 18 kids in the class.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Tue May 26, 2009 3:36 pm UTC

I agree with OP, most kids in high school are complete idiots. Our senior prank this morning, parking in the teachers parking lot (see the pranks thread for more info), I noticed that only the "popular" kids were in there. You could also lable that group the morons, tools, or sluts for the girls. It is laughable that people think high school really matters. Next year I'm going halfway across the US and never plan and having to deal with these people again.
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

gauss.contrapunctus

Postby gauss.contrapunctus » Tue May 26, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

this really annoys me too. Another thing that really annoys me are the people who try to feign intelligence and justify the pretentious/disdainful attitudes they show to others. I think I can summarize my feelings by saying that I just don't like willingly close-minded people, whether this comes from those in my case who feign intelligence and don't have the demeanor to examine their own minds with critical thought, or those in your case who have obstinate beliefs about "appropriate" social behaviour and refuse to examine the veracity of their own beliefs.

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

It seems that all anybody in my school cares about is their status in the school. Some or in other schools most , throw away the people they really are and become someone they're not just to gain the attention or praise or 'friendship' of the 'in' crowd/popular people. That really burns me because what if you don't have the money to keep up with trends or just don't like what they like? You know what happens? You get labeld a dork, geek, nerd, werdio etc. And sometimes you are uncomfortable being yourself because it'll bring rude jugment from the rest of the drones in the school.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The Loofah Tree

Postby The Loofah Tree » Tue May 26, 2009 10:37 pm UTC

Huh, the social problems mentioned thusfar aren't nearly as prominent in my school, to the extent described, that is. However, this has given rise to a far more sinister and diabolical form of high school problem. You must know of what I speak-there can be no other. It is------!!! Slow-walking lines of people!! For one thing, slow-walking lines of people often take up the majority of one side of a hall. (In my school, anyways.) For another thing, to get around them, one must often walk into the part of the hall where the people are moving in the opposite direction, and risk getting chewed up by this veritable meat grinder. I mean, c'mon! The inconsiderateness is what really gets me, though. :p Anyone else have this problem?
User is indefinite and subject to spontaneous onsets of apathy.

The Loofah Tree

Postby The Loofah Tree » Tue May 26, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

Huh, the social problems mentioned thusfar aren't nearly as prominent in my school, to the extent described, that is. However, this has given rise to a far more sinister and diabolical form of high school problem. You must know of what I speak-there can be no other. It is------!!! Slow-walking lines of people!! For one thing, slow-walking lines of people often take up the majority of one side of a hall. (In my school, anyways.) For another thing, to get around them, one must often walk into the part of the hall where the people are moving in the opposite direction, and risk getting chewed up by this veritable meat grinder. I mean, c'mon! The inconsiderateness is what really gets me, though. :p Anyone else have this problem?

The Loofah Tree

Postby The Loofah Tree » Tue May 26, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Ack...sorry for the repeat post. Not quite sure how that happened. >.O

mastered

Postby mastered » Tue May 26, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

Ah, yes, I am too familiar with the crowds, through which I am only able to pass at my fast pace because I'm small. My chem teacher mentioned it once ;)
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

Ulmo

Postby Ulmo » Tue May 26, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

Fortunately (and maybe because I go to a private school), my classmates are pretty respectful of people's different interests. It seems like you realize the ridiculousness of the "popular" people's opinions though, so hopefully you won't let it bother you too much. At least it gives you new ways to laugh at those people behind their backs with your friends... hehehehe! At the same time, it's important not to consider something bad just because popular people like it... you might find you have a common fascination for something, and maybe both parties will realize the other isn't as bad as they thought, and you'll be happy forevermore! Yay! :D

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Wed May 27, 2009 2:03 am UTC

I like folk music, dress like a surfer (not a common look here in land locked Oxford), play WoW, have never kissed anyone (aged 17 currently) and read sci-fi. I'm popular(ish). This whole conformity and status whoring problem seems to be very much an individual school thing (also I go to a state school so it is not a state/private divide).

What does burn me is that our education is designed to teach us useless things (though this is coming from someone who chose philosophy and English for their A levels). Essentially it boils down to a glorified baby sitting service. On top of this the majority of what they teach us is dead boring. Why would anyone create a system designed to bore and be useless?
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

aeromax

Postby aeromax » Wed May 27, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

Around here, people are just self-absorbed douches. Everywhere I go, I have to push through massive clouds of about a dozen people standing smack in the middle of the hallway talking. They know it's an obstacle to everyone else, but they simply don't give a damn. When I ask them to move, they give me a blank stare and a rude quip - they're astonished that anyone else could possibly want to interrupt their socialization time for such trivial activities as getting to class. Of course, in class they're even worse. Between texting and talking (very loudly) about how "TIGHT MAN DUDE LIKE YEAH LIKE MAN I LIKE POT MAN THAT'S LIKE SO COOL MAN SCHOOL IS SO GAY AND RETARDED MAN TIGHT LIKE DUDE", they spend their time drawing genitalia on every possible surface. Of course, any given lesson can be expected to be interrupted by a cry of "WUH-WUH-WAIH-WUH-WAIH-WUH I DON'T GET IT BAWWW" every couple minutes, owing to the fact that said cryer didn't RTFM and/or stop texting for long enough to know what the hell was going on. And it's always a painfully obvious question, the answer to which the teacher has covered about eight times since the start of class.

Aside from the Douchemasters, the school itself is pretty much a prison. The doors are all steel-core, bulletproof, locked (before and after the school day) and monitored (during the school day) by an army of walkie-talkie-wielding hall monitors who are paid to stalk people in the bathrooms (going to the bathroom requires signing out with the teacher and having them sign your official pass book). Sixty security cameras, a police officer and bathrooms without doors keep the 'terrists' out, though, so it's a safe place to wear your pants around your ankles.

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Wed May 27, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

aeromax wrote:Around here, people are just self-absorbed douches. Everywhere I go, I have to push through massive clouds of about a dozen people standing smack in the middle of the hallway talking. They know it's an obstacle to everyone else, but they simply don't give a damn. When I ask them to move, they give me a blank stare and a rude quip - they're astonished that anyone else could possibly want to interrupt their socialization time for such trivial activities as getting to class. Of course, in class they're even worse. Between texting and talking (very loudly) about how "TIGHT MAN DUDE LIKE YEAH LIKE MAN I LIKE POT MAN THAT'S LIKE SO COOL MAN SCHOOL IS SO GAY AND RETARDED MAN TIGHT LIKE DUDE", they spend their time drawing genitalia on every possible surface. Of course, any given lesson can be expected to be interrupted by a cry of "WUH-WUH-WAIH-WUH-WAIH-WUH I DON'T GET IT BAWWW" every couple minutes, owing to the fact that said cryer didn't RTFM and/or stop texting for long enough to know what the hell was going on. And it's always a painfully obvious question, the answer to which the teacher has covered about eight times since the start of class.

Aside from the Douchemasters, the school itself is pretty much a prison. The doors are all steel-core, bulletproof, locked (before and after the school day) and monitored (during the school day) by an army of walkie-talkie-wielding hall monitors who are paid to stalk people in the bathrooms (going to the bathroom requires signing out with the teacher and having them sign your official pass book). Sixty security cameras, a police officer and bathrooms without doors keep the 'terrists' out, though, so it's a safe place to wear your pants around your ankles.

Miss Lee, the principal from the the TV show Daria would be proud

Nec

Postby Nec » Thu May 28, 2009 3:02 am UTC

I pretty much agree with the OP, but for some reason I dont see that too much in my school to that extent. If someone goes right out and says "Wow, that kid is kind of weird" its probably because the person did something really...odd/weird (not weird in the "popular" kids sense, but really generally weird). Other than that, everyone I know gets along pretty well. We are all different. Youve got your partiers, the 'geeks,' the jocks, etc. I dont know anyone who doesnt really get along...

mastered

Postby mastered » Thu May 28, 2009 3:43 am UTC

I get really mad when I am forced to hear people talking with only 1/3rd of their speech being meaningful. I feel an urge to dare them to try going through one whole period without using curse words to "communicate".
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

Yambert

Postby Yambert » Thu May 28, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

people who base their entire academic career in high school on how nice it will look on a college resume.

Don't take the AP class because you think it'll make your more "competitive", do it because it's a challenge and you'll learn a lot out of it. If you don't get straight As it's not the end of the world.

Seems like even the kids taking the highest level classes have little to no actual intellectual curiosity. It's extremely annoying.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Thu May 28, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

People in certain social groups getting pissed off when any rational argument is made towards one of their convictions in an open forum. Good example of this: I mentioned how picking football teams to support (or is that soccer? Heehee), is as pointless and arbitrary as picking between baseball cap colours: it's irrelevant, the choice is made on a whim and ultimately you're always going to be a dumbarse. I mean, a lot of people who support football (or soccer) teams happen to be very close friends of mine but I still maintain it's a stupid thing and the only retorts I hear are about social conformity, "fun" and "because *x team* is the best!". Makes no sense to me but people in high school don't really care much for reasoning, it's all short term pleasures which makes it hard to, I dunno, be ethical and socially harmonious. I get the feeling things won't change much as I get older...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Thu May 28, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

Yambert wrote: If you don't get straight As it's not the end of the world.

Over the last school year (my senior year), I was in a program that allowed me to take classes at a community college for high school and college credit rather than sitting in a high school classroom. I heard (and confirmed) that someone actually dropped out for a semester and W'ed his classes just so he would avoid getting a C and a couple B's in his classes.

That's not the worst part.

This program is government-funded and makes the classes free to the students, so he just basically wasted thousands of dollars of taxpayer money and teacher time just so he could avoid marring his transcript.

Quenouille

Postby Quenouille » Thu May 28, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

I hate it when people can't be creative, or refuse to do something original because it is slightly out of norm and they may end up with a lower mark. My roomate was asked to describe a room in german class, and he complained that it was a boring task. I told him to write about whatever he wanted and then work it out into being a room under certain conditions/point of view.
What's wrong with describing a mirror maze, or your take on the purgatory's waiting room, woody allen-style? The point is obviously an exercise in descriptive style, why should you care for something conventional?

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Thu May 28, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

Quenouille wrote:I hate it when people can't be creative, or refuse to do something original because it is slightly out of norm and they may end up with a lower mark. My roomate was asked to describe a room in german class, and he complained that it was a boring task. I told him to write about whatever he wanted and then work it out into being a room under certain conditions/point of view.
What's wrong with describing a mirror maze, or your take on the purgatory's waiting room, woody allen-style? The point is obviously an exercise in descriptive style, why should you care for something conventional?

HA! I put in all these "Handy hints" in my user guide for my ICT coursework, like "Now you have access to the payroll system use this to your advantage: Make stupidly elaborate rules like "Wear your shirt inside out on tuesdays" and "every sentence must begin with "well guv'nor" on fridays" for your employees to keep them in line. After all, you control their wages, and it's high time they knew it!". He deducted one mark, and it was a three mark part of the coursework. Totally freaking worth it.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Thu May 28, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

The Loofah Tree wrote:Huh, the social problems mentioned thusfar aren't nearly as prominent in my school, to the extent described, that is. However, this has given rise to a far more sinister and diabolical form of high school problem. You must know of what I speak-there can be no other. It is------!!! Slow-walking lines of people!! For one thing, slow-walking lines of people often take up the majority of one side of a hall. (In my school, anyways.) For another thing, to get around them, one must often walk into the part of the hall where the people are moving in the opposite direction, and risk getting chewed up by this veritable meat grinder. I mean, c'mon! The inconsiderateness is what really gets me, though. :p Anyone else have this problem?

I do. I hate it. Ok, if you want to talk go ahead, but for the love of god, go somewhere else. I don't mind getting late to class, but this is
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

fwlbg

Postby fwlbg » Fri May 29, 2009 2:47 am UTC

What really burns me, is that school is compulsory. Well, government designated education is compuslory.

The stupid school system doesn't fucking work for everyone, and people should have the right not to go, anyway.

I'd much rather stay at home and do my own research and learning, rather than have useless crap drilled into my head, such as any crap in Lifeskills, or problems involving money in Maths, or wearing those goddamned uniforms, and not being allowed to wear my fucking coat inside, even though it's actually cold.

Why the fuck aren't people allowd the freedom to choose their own education?! Almost everyone has access to the internet, and you can find out so much if you search it properly! For those who don't, there are places of internet access such as Libraries and "internet cafés", and even without those, there are these things called books.

Goddammit, what really burns me about school is every part of it.

zenger

Postby zenger » Fri May 29, 2009 3:18 am UTC

For a while, I didn't think my school was that bad when it came to the social problems OP mentions. Me and my friends are all pretty nerdy, but I know a lot of people that are considered popular, jock, etc., so everyone gets along pretty well. I go to a huge school, so it looked like there were only a few people that are really nasty and elitist, but just recently it seems to have gotten worse.

Usually I can avoid most people like that, but a couple days ago I stayed after for a language club sporting event charity thing. All the other teams got these hardcore varsity players while my team was just casual people. We got decimated, and I don't mind, but the other teams were heckling and crap, and it made me feel horrible. Even some people on our team went to post on facebook about us being a "discrace." Being in classes with these people is the real disgrace. In my reagents physics class (the highest level, because physics is oh so hard on its own! >.>) there is a girl that thought malaria was a country, and airplanes were invented after the 1980s.

I also hate when people walk slowly, especially when they look back at me tailing them, looking for oppurtunities to pass. I feel like such a creep.

yeah, school kinda sucks.

Threb

Postby Threb » Fri May 29, 2009 4:04 am UTC

I really hate that I only find one of six of my classes very useful, and that I only learn anything in about two classes.

It's irritating to know I could cut my school day down to two hours or so and learn about the same amount. I wish I could at least test out of English classes, or something. It's mind numbing when you've already got a fair grasp on your language and everybody else is struggling with the word "somber."

I also dislike that my school is horribly poor and hardly offers any AP courses, (or many courses in general) though you can dual enroll at a local community college beginning 11th grade.

A question: Do AP credits look better on a transcript than dual enrollment ones, or is it more or less the same? I think I remember an aunt of mine saying something about that.

On the upside, if I do everything right, senior year all of my classes will be dual enrollment ones and I won't even have to step in my terrible, maroon and gold colored (yes, the walls are painted maroon and gold. I am not kidding) colored school. Cooooool.

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Fri May 29, 2009 6:40 am UTC

The fact that English, or English literature, is still compulsory. I understand that lit can give you a wider appreciation of reading, and insights into other cultures, and all those arguments are perfectly valid. However, I do appreciate Shakespeare, novels like The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird, and I would've read them even if they weren't compulsory for us. Also, that half the people in our class can't spell properly, and they don't even try to teach us about proper grammar. I learn more about the English language in my Italian class than in lit.
If English is so important, why do they not make Maths compulsory? Or science? I don't understand how they can put such a focus on English, where we're essentially trying to find the hidden themes and messages in a novel/play/poem which we can learn through reading/viewing it ourselves, and have people who need a calculator to find the square root of 25.
Oh, and when we have our TER calculated, (I don't know what the equivalent is for everyone else, sorry) at least one of the scores have to be from the humanities/social sciences list. Because I'm taking Italian, I'm guessing that that one's going to be counted rather than lit - but it has nothing to do with the course I want to enrol in (Engineering).
But maybe I'm just bitter because lit is my worst subject.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » Fri May 29, 2009 7:05 am UTC

Secateurs, I'm not sure where you received your education, but in Missouri, where I live, Math and Science classes are also compulsory, along with Social Studies (History), and Art classes (though there is definitely variation on which classes of art to take). I do agree, though, most of the proper grammar and actual vocabulary expansion has been taken out of English classes, which makes them rather pointless.

Personally, I didn't have too many bad high school moments, though switching from a seven hour day to an eight hour day was horrible! We lost our study hall time, and though it was done to give failing students more chances to recover, it made our drop-out rate go through the roof... guess that backfired.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Fri May 29, 2009 9:05 am UTC

Western Australia :)
...although we do need to have one from a maths/science/technology list (which includes hospitality, physical education, and outdoor education, so it's still pretty easy to miss out on the 'real' maths/science subjects).
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

Somthing else that burns me is the fact that our school only offers two langueages(sp) Spanish and French. I'd be much better off learning German rather than Spanish. Uno, Dos, Tres.
Ein, Zwei, Dri.

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » Fri May 29, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

Yeah, we're required two credits (four semesters) of foreign language, and we offer French, German, and Spanish. Specifically, students at my school were required to take 4 total credits of english (3 grade levels and two semesters of english electives), 2 Math credits, 2 Science credits (one has to be Conceptual Physics), 3 History credits, 2 Physical Education credits (one semester was a Health class), and the remainder of the 7 credits to be completed were electives. It was pretty easy to graduate at my school (22 necessary credits, 28 credits available).

The other thing that burns me is the requirement for PE. I won't go into politics and such about this, but seriously, do we NEED to have two whole years of Physical Education? I would have rather spent it learning more math or science...
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Fri May 29, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

Impulse97 wrote:When the one popular girl at our table found out that I don't like or know much rap/hip hop she was astouned because as anyone knows rap is the only music to listen to.
People listen to rap/hiphop?!?!?! ON PURPOSE?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm not buying it.

Edit: Actually I had a canned response to this sort of crap in middle school. I told people I liked the funk. That was one argument I could always win (despite not having actually listened to any of it).
Last edited by notzeb on Fri May 29, 2009 8:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Fri May 29, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

Where I live, we have to take R.E (Religious Education) right through GCSE level and sixth form (even though we don't have to do it for A-Level), whilst it is not compulsory for the rest of the UK. The only religion we ever learn about is Christianity and most of its content is a basic comprehension of Jesus's teachings, life etc., stuff people learn at church or Sunday school. It not only favours those who are Christian, but I feel it doesn't deserve the word 'education' in its name; surely a thorough education in religion would involve tackling philosophical and theological problems, comparing ideologies and explanations offered by religions through the ages, apologetics etc. rather than just parroting Bible verses? But that would take too much critical thinking on the part of my peers. I wish I had the option to not take the class, but I don't :evil:
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

The Loofah Tree

Postby The Loofah Tree » Fri May 29, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

My Shadow wrote:Where I live, we have to take R.E (Religious Education) right through GCSE level and sixth form (even though we don't have to do it for A-Level), whilst it is not compulsory for the rest of the UK. The only religion we ever learn about is Christianity and most of its content is a basic comprehension of Jesus's teachings, life etc., stuff people learn at church or Sunday school. It not only favours those who are Christian, but I feel it doesn't deserve the word 'education' in its name; surely a thorough education in religion would involve tackling philosophical and theological problems, comparing ideologies and explanations offered by religions through the ages, apologetics etc. rather than just parroting Bible verses? But that would take too much critical thinking on the part of my peers. I wish I had the option to not take the class, but I don't :evil:

A religious education class that only teaches Christianity? Something about this seems vaguely wrong. xD

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Sat May 30, 2009 12:36 am UTC

The Loofah Tree wrote:
My Shadow wrote:Where I live, we have to take R.E (Religious Education) right through GCSE level and sixth form (even though we don't have to do it for A-Level), whilst it is not compulsory for the rest of the UK. The only religion we ever learn about is Christianity and most of its content is a basic comprehension of Jesus's teachings, life etc., stuff people learn at church or Sunday school. It not only favours those who are Christian, but I feel it doesn't deserve the word 'education' in its name; surely a thorough education in religion would involve tackling philosophical and theological problems, comparing ideologies and explanations offered by religions through the ages, apologetics etc. rather than just parroting Bible verses? But that would take too much critical thinking on the part of my peers. I wish I had the option to not take the class, but I don't :evil:

A religious education class that only teaches Christianity? Something about this seems vaguely wrong. xD

Meh, I went to a Catholic school for 13 1/3 years, so I had to deal with that crap daily. I always found Religion class like History: the memorization of useless facts that most will probably never give a shit about, or have to use, for the rest of their lives. I do love history, though.

Basically Religion is crappy psuedohistory.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Sat May 30, 2009 2:48 am UTC

The other thing that burns me is the requirement for PE. I won't go into politics and such about this, but seriously, do we NEED to have two whole years of Physical Education?

Only two years? Lucky. We have to take gym all four years.

PieceofPi

Postby PieceofPi » Sat May 30, 2009 4:06 am UTC

A couple of annoyances about our school:

[rant]
  • Every advanced course is IB (International Baccalaureate) only.
  • If you're in IB, you have to take Integrated French.
  • In IB you can only take two of the three science courses (Physics Chem, and Biology).
  • IB leaves no room for other courses if you're trying to go into Engineering, Physics, etc.
    Note: I like IB! I just don't like the way our school adds to the course requirements.
  • The people who need a calculator to average 8 and 12 get higher marks then me, when the teacher has been pulling extras from the grade 11 math text to try to stump me (and fail)(I'm in grade 9)
  • CCRSB blocks every right wing blog, but not a single left wing blog (that I can find)
      CCRSB blocks websites
        CCRSB blocks XKCD
  • We have a corner store down the street. There was a drug bust there a year ago, and grade 9's are no longer allowed off of school property as a result. There are people 10 days older then me who are allowed to walk down to the store- but me? No! I can't!
  • They left all the lights on in the theater for a presentation about global warming and energy conservation.
[/rant]
I do not know where family doctors acquired illegibly perplexing handwriting; nevertheless, extraordinary pharmaceutical intellectuality, counterbalancing indecipherability, transcendentalizes intercommunications' incomprehensibleness.

Dimetrodon

Postby Dimetrodon » Sat May 30, 2009 6:44 am UTC

Things I Dislike About My School:
    The students don't care about learning
    The teachers don't care about teaching
    -Seriously, they make no effort to change anything even if it's negatively affecting their students
    -They are also slaves to the lesson plans
    It's too damn big
    -Classes are massive, teachers can't pay attention to any of the students other then to shut them up
    -Everyone, students and teachers, are viewed as interchangeable numbers in a system
    School officials are more interested in what's cost efficient and easier then what works best
    Stupid policies about what teachers are kept and which are fired (it's a matter of senority, not talent)
I could go on. Sometimes I like my school, but a lot of the time I just resent it.
Spoiler:

Fear my mammalian skull, my efficient heat-regulating sail, and my two rows of teeth.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat May 30, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

The Loofah Tree wrote:

I'm doing an RS (Religious Studies, although RE and RS are interchangable really...) GSCE too and although a LOT of our course quotes are Christian, we do have the OPTION to do another religion: Our school teaches Christianity as it's the easiest. Maybe you're doing it on a different exam board? (Mine is AQA). Also, VERY suprised you guys do it all the way until A Level, (I must be in the rest of the UK I guess...), that sucks. In all honesty, I really wanted to do Philosophy and Ethics for A Level, but I couldn't because of my subject arrangements so now I'm doing Sociology, which looks to be fun anyway. All the best to you though.

Lukeisheretic

Postby Lukeisheretic » Sat May 30, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

Two words: Busy Work.
:evil:

Return to “School”