You see, it's not that I'm lazy,it's just that I don't care

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Griffmo

You see, it's not that I'm lazy,it's just that I don't care

Postby Griffmo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Lemme give you a bit of backround. I am 14, an 8th grade student soon to be freshmen, and I have a problem. I don't care anymore. For the last three years I've just stopped caring about school, I'm very creative and logical, but rarely do my homwork. That's not to say I don't do it, it's just saying I don't do it at home, I usually do it the period before it's due and get A's and B's on it. I'm very inquisitive and extremely creative (I only have a "B" in writing though due to me not following the rubricks and doing my own thing) and am a longterm player of D&D and love to write. That said, when it comes to school I'm lazy. In all of 8th grade I've done about 3 assignments actually AT home, and still manage to get decent grades. That's my problem, my unwillingness too do work. I've been said to be very down to earth and I realize most of what I learn is BS, and I'm not going to be an overachiever (although I could be). I'm by no means one of the "bored" genius types, I actually have a disability in math (although I'm ahead of the class ironically). I don't see myself going to college, most likely just doing my own thing, living off moderate income and enjoying my life. My teachers always urge me to try and reach my true potential, but I never do and just kind of hang out and relax. I don't really get in trouble, however I do confess to being a bit sinister, and spending most of my time on /b/ (I'm being totally honest here, don't wanna withhold anything) just sitting idly and relaxing. Do I have a problem? Does this even matter at all, or am I screwing myself over? Any thoughts would be appreciated (sorry for any spelling errors, spellcheck is not enabled on the public computers at my local library (My local hangout place))
Much thanks
- Griffin
Last edited by Griffmo on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gojoe

Re: I just don't care anymore

Postby Gojoe » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

If American high school is like it is in NZ, you will not be able to skate by as easy as you used to, by the time you get to your last 2 years of school. Or if you do, collage will be a BITCH (yes I know you said you do not see yourself going, but that is in 4 years, things change)

If you view school work as "fun" you can get it done. Honestly, this sounds lame, but if you put in the effort you can get a great result, which can help you make money later on. I REALLY wish I did better in high school.

Anyway, lots of people are the same way, and end up fine. Also, I did not go to uni, and I have a great job. It is just not for everyone.

Summary, if you tell yourself that homework is fun, you have a chance of actually doing it, and doing well. This will not only get you a good grade, but you will learn a few things (promise, maybe not every piece of homework, but over time you will learn a few more things).

Well good luck.

(also, school is cool, despite what others think)
(god, if only life was as fun/easy as high school)
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Griffmo

Postby Griffmo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:04 am UTC

Anyone else?

rath358
The bone of my bone

Re: You see, it's not that I'm lazy,it's just that I don't care

Postby rath358 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:52 am UTC

with the forums, its different...We do care, It just takes time to notice the subject,come up with an adequate response, and transfer it to the page. Have patience. (and maybe put this in general, so it gets more views.

The Loofah Tree

Postby The Loofah Tree » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:45 am UTC

Griffmo wrote:I don't care anymore. For the last three years I've just stopped caring about school, I'm very creative and logical, but rarely do my homwork. That said, when it comes to school I'm lazy.

Wait a minute, the topic title says you just don't care, as opposed to being lazy. And yet, the above quoted content says otherwise. xP I must say, the paradoxical implications of having a topic title at odds with the topic content have me stroking my beard...or lack thereof.

On a more serious note: I wouldn't say you're screwing yourself, but you're coming quite close by choosing not to reach your potential, and by choosing not to go to college. I am assuming that, as of now, you have no plans for attending college, seeing as you don't view yourself going to college.
User is indefinite and subject to spontaneous onsets of apathy.

vector

Postby vector » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:14 am UTC

So, this is how I see it. You've got some things going for you, and some things going against you. Stuff going for you: inquisitiveness, creativity, logic, interest in writing. Stuff going against you: unwillingness to do work, disability in math, relatively poor planning skills. If you're worried about failing to get things done at home, I would guess that you have a problem of some sort. It's probably pretty stressful to get stuff done the period before next class, and it will only become more so in high school (I speak from experience).

I'd say there are a couple of things you can do here. First off, you can just ignore the issue--though I'd suggest against that, because it's bothering you enough that you want to post on a board full of complete strangers for advice. The next thing is trying to solve things from the generalized problems: that is, making yourself willing to do work in general, improving your planning skills, etc. For that, I'd suggest using your creativity for you. Start individualized projects/whatever and set goals for yourself: try to read some difficult book in a month or finish a chapter of a story every week, whatever. The final option is attacking the homework itself. I'd suggest trying to convince yourself that it's fun, as Gojoe said.

As far as the screwing yourself over... well, let's look at it like this. Middle school grades really don't matter. I did hideously in middle school, and it had pretty much no impact on the rest of my life. The point is that you learn how to learn, how to complete work to specifications, and how to produce a sustained effort. Those skills are important, and having them will create more flexibility later in life. Though I cannot definitively say: "Yes, you are screwing yourself over," I can tell you that you'll be cutting down on your options later. You may not end up having the choice to go to college. This is all fine and dandy if you end up not wanting to do that, but it's going to be a problem if you change your mind for any reason. You're walking a rather unsafe road.

Final note: don't let your math disability make you think you're not smart. I'm not saying you are or are not intelligent, but it's really not good to let trouble in one area interfere with your overall interpretation of yourself.
Come visit the Bay12 Mafia subforum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:23 pm UTC

Just putting this out there--if you hate work now, when you find everything fairly easy, do you really think you'll be able to easily transition to working hard in high school/college/life? Not to criticize, but it can help to make work a habit.

Also, whatever you do, it may be a good idea to have a better goal in life than "just do my own thing". Not that that's not a good goal, but something more precise is more likely to actually happen.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Synergy

Postby Synergy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

The only thing that I have to say is that I hated school until I got to gradschool. Then no one was bothering me about classes they thought I should take. I get to research my interests. I get to take the classes I want. I think it's awesome. Pretty much all my schooling (~17 years) up to this point was painfully boring and frustrating. If I hadn't gone to college I'd probably be bored out of my mind at some restuarant serving tables.

You want to find motivation for school? Get 1 job in retail in highschool and keep it for 2 years. If you don't want to go to college after working retail for a while maybe you don't need college.

Just keep your grades around a 3.0 that way you can get into a college directly from highschool. If you're as smart as you say you are that shouldn't be a problem or require much effort. Besides, you're still young you've got some time to figure things out. Good luck

DeathPancake

Postby DeathPancake » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

The Loofah Tree wrote:Wait a minute, the topic title says you just don't care, as opposed to being lazy. And yet, the above quoted content says otherwise. xP I must say, the paradoxical implications of having a topic title at odds with the topic content have me stroking my beard...or lack thereof.

On a more serious note: I wouldn't say you're screwing yourself, but you're coming quite close by choosing not to reach your potential, and by choosing not to go to college. I am assuming that, as of now, you have no plans for attending college, seeing as you don't view yourself going to college.

You have a tendency to help discontented young teenagers Mr. Loofah Tree. Keep it up! :D

OP-Try to make your high school experience interesting. I've worked some minimum wage jobs before and they suck. College seems like the best way to escape flipping burgers at the golden arches.

Try talking to your counselor next year in high school. See if you could do Independent Study instead of courses that you do not like. Alternatively, ask if you could take courses at your community college, as suggested by Mr. Loofah Tree.

ex: Instead of boring English, try Creative Writing. Much more interesting.

Something that has not been mentioned in this thread so far is the possibility of you doing a project. Find something wrong in the world and fix it. You will be spending your time usefully and might end up enjoying whatever you do. Colleges also seem to love kids who do something who help society.

Best of luck!

The Loofah Tree

Postby The Loofah Tree » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:52 am UTC

DeathPancake wrote:You have a tendency to help discontented young teenagers Mr. Loofah Tree. Keep it up! :D

I'm like a super hero. ^.^ Only wimpier. And nerdier. And more twig-like. >.< On the plus side, I can make kick-ass false mustaches. Although, I'm not sure that's a heroic characteristic...
Regarding the latter half of quote: I shall! For as long as there is advice to be given, I will answer the Call of Duty...4...Modern Warfare...heh heh heh. I'm not sure how helpful my post was, though. xP Minimally, at best.

DeathPancake wrote:Alternatively, ask if you could take courses at your community college, as suggested by Mr. Loofah Tree.

Whut? @-@
User is indefinite and subject to spontaneous onsets of apathy.

Shard

Postby Shard » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:23 am UTC

O hai! Funny my first post would be on a subject I dislike, but I have been lurking long enough :)

I'm graduating high school this Friday, and I have to say, I was in the same position you were upon entering high school. I have had some very bad experiences early on with school. Shortly, I placed extremely highly on all of my placement tests through grades k-5, 6th grade came around and everybody told me that I was "failing my mother miserably", a la Mrs. Geography Teacher. Inspirational stuff, no lie.

Anyways, looking back on my high school life, I can't say that I am displeased with how I turned out. Sure, I am graduating with a 2.6 cumulative GPA, I am looking at two years of community college before transferring to the college of my dreams (I hope), and I am extremely happy with the person I am today. During my junior and senior years, I did not turn in a single homework assignment that I did not complete in class. I scored extremely well on all of my tests, et cetera, but I honestly did not care to prove myself to a system that had done nothing for me in return. Plus, I, in my mind, had already proven myself several times over.

Spoiler:
At various points I tried to go for a GED, but my counselor cockblocked me every time. Her favorite line was "You are too smart for a GED, just put a little effort in to it and you can be a star!" and many other variations of the same. My time in Elementary/Middle School gave me the opportunity to skip several grades, I could have entered college at a very early age for almost any field I wished, but I did not because I feared I would miss out on life. It turns out I would have been right. Now, I'm just trying to tell you my experiences, take from them what you will.

If school was the only thing I had to rely on for self esteem, I would have been medicated for depression long since. I live in Utah, and I discovered at a pretty late age, my junior year, that I am pretty badass at freeride skiing, parkour and tricking. My skills have developed to the point that I no longer doubt my self worth, and I have a lot of confidence with who I am. Instead of turning in homework assignments, I led class discussions, wrote papers that were incredibly well received, or at least I'd like to think they were :D Instead of answering common sense questions, or the same question a hundred times, or et cetera, I drew charts or graphs or whatever that showed my mastery of the concepts presented in the lesson and also creativity, originality, and what would I hope portray my style of humor and intelligence. I am a very, very sarcastic person. I also have a very thick skin :)

The fear mongering I had been led to believe as fact in my sixth grade year (that was, ironically, designed to help increase my grades... or so the principal stated), that I was going to be a failure at life, I had no work ethic, dedication, drive, skill, what have you, I proved false. I am extremely dedicated to my personality, my morals and beliefs, and my sports. I am enjoying the benefits of that dedication, and am looking at traveling the world to compete here shortly. Hot spots like London, Japan, New Zealand, Canada, et cetera, paid by sponsors I will be signing with shortly.... *crosses fingers*.

^^ haha self worship... anyways, all of that summed up in a few short sentences: Find what you enjoy doing, and DO it. Instead of wondering how you can get better at something you have no love for, figure out how you can apply what you love to what you do not. Failing that, distance yourself from what you cannot stand, for me that was school itself. School is not the be all end all of existence, but it does help with that existence quite a bit, specifically financially. If you are not worried about your work ethic, et cetera, I would not be worried about high school. Many good strategies have been suggested here, take a study skills/study hour period, Creative Writing, et cetera. If all else fails, most colleges accept GEDs. If you and your family think that that is the best course of action, do it!

I digress, what I'm trying to say here by relating my high school 'story' is that no matter what, you have options. You can decide to go for a GED and explore your own self for a little while before going for a PhD, or you could decide to find something in High School you absolutely enjoy and focus your time in that. For math, I would suggest an after school tutor. Especially for math homework. Ugh. I am also incredibly terrible at math, and a tutor got me through almost all of it before I had finished my math credits. It's not so much the extra help, which is certainly helpful, but also the fact that you have a person sitting by your side helping you get your homework done!

As far as your unwillingness to do work, I would suggest finding something you really enjoy, and turning your work in to that. I was lucky in that most of my teachers were accepting of my 'outlandish' style, but you never know until you try. That boring English prompt? Find some extremely ridiculous idea and write your paper surrounding how it pertains to the prompt. Most of my papers in high school were 10-20 pages, 1.5 spaced, not because of rubrics but because I loved to write and then proceed to shove it in my (past) teachers faces. Take from this what you will, but remember that having fun and doing what YOU need to do to better yourself is paramount, at least in my mind :) Stay thirsty, friend.

Mr. Freeman

Postby Mr. Freeman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

Gojoe wrote:If American high school is like it is in NZ, you will not be able to skate by as easy as you used to

Long story short, it's not like NZ and he will be able to skate by just as easily.

To, OP: The question here is whether or not you care about knowledge, not whether or not you care about school.
I made it through high school really easily with very high grades. I put in a lot of effort, but it didn't seem like an amazingly large amount.
The fact of the matter is that as long as you can maintain a C in your classes, you won't be held back. High schools don't particularly care about students learning anything as much as they do about test scores and jumping through hoops.
I did not care for high school at all. I saw people put in less than a quarter of the effort I did and receive grades only slightly worse. Then these people would go argue with the teacher and get the grade bumped up. I saw people turn in work weeks late without penalty. I saw fucking idiotic little shits READ OFF OF THE SLIDES FOR THEIR ENTIRE POWERPOINT PRESENTATION and receive an A for their "effort". I received the same A for putting together a presentation and using power point to display some useful charts/graphs/images in the background. (Sorry, I just really hate people who put no effort into power point presentations.)

Thus, the environment in high school was crap, but that says nothing about whether or not you like learning.

College is actually very, very nice in that regard. The professors teach you, you learn, you ask questions, they answer, you have fun. People who think that college is high school either shape up really quick or find themselves out on their ass. Unlike high school, the professors aren't afraid to give an "F".

If you like learning but hate school because of the environment and the bullshit then consider college.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Mr. Freeman wrote:College is actually very, very nice in that regard. The professors teach you, you learn, you ask questions, they answer, you have fun. People who think that college is high school either shape up really quick or find themselves out on their ass. Unlike high school, the professors aren't afraid to give an "F".
They hate to do it too, but it makes their jobs easier when the students fully deserve it.

Tenth Speed Writer

Postby Tenth Speed Writer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:33 am UTC

As far as the complete drop in "hand-holding," one of my favorite past-times this past year was to watch the students in my math and physical science classes systematically drop out over the course of the semester.

Professors have no mercy. You work to their level.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, considering that 90% of the frustration in high school for kids like you is being held to a woefully low standard, but don't think you'll get by not wanting to work. It doesn't matter if you understand every last ounce of plot development in War and Peace; if you don't read the book and write the paper on it, you fail.
No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

The same goes for high school. Disliking the course requirements just shows the college admissions folks that you're uncommitted and unwilling to work outside of your comfort zone. An F is an F in their eyes.
Civil Engineering Major, University of Alabama.
"Yessir, I reckon 'em 'ere cent'rl s'port beams'll hol' up a'right..."

Mallet über alles!

effective_

Postby effective_ » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:47 am UTC

Wow, it's like I'm reading about myself. Seriously, I was exactly like you in middle and high school. Except in my day we didn't have /b/, so I resorted to putting rats in a microwave to see what would happen. They explode.

Like you, I also was creative, smart, and didn't do my homework at home. I always did it in class so I didn't have to do it at night. I skated by with As and Bs with the occasional C. To put it simply, I was lazy. Well, lazy when it came to school work. During high school I would stay up way too late and teach myself about computers. More specifically, computer security. This was my escape from school. I could actually learn about what I wanted to learn and see results pretty quickly. Before long I was gaining remote access to all of my friends (and strangers) computers and would fuck with them whenever I wanted. Obviously I was young, immature, and a script kiddie but my inherent nature was wanting to learn.

I'm 22 now and feel that I have changed in a way. Things that I thought weren't important in high school are now becoming more important to me. I wish I knew MORE about everything. I love learning, well, I love having the knowledge you get from learning. I wish I paid more attention and retained the information throughout the years because all of the things that I wasn't interested in then, I want to know now.

I'm in college now getting a degree in Computer Science and still have the problem of not wanting to learn about things I don't think are important. I've noticed that I can force myself to be interested in subjects that I'm not really interested in by talking and discussing the subjects with people who are interested in them. It's weird, it's like their interest rubs off on me and makes me more interested in the subject. For example, in the start of my degree we had to take a bunch of physics courses which I wasn't interested in at all. It was hard as hell so I had to sign up to some physics forums to help myself out. After discussing various aspects of physics I saw myself growing more and more interested in the work that I was forced to do. Same with this place, when I go into the physics forums and see all the discussions I immediately want to start researching everything I possibly can. I've noticed this with pretty much any subject; biology, mathematics, physics, history, astronomy.. etc. If I can discuss it I'll be interested in it. BUT if I just do enough of the "forced" work to get by I won't be interested and, in fact, I'll fucking hate it. But if I get on forums OR blog about my learnings and discoveries then it makes it more than worthwhile.

Maybe you should try that? Blog about the shit that you learn in school and, in turn, it could help you find a deeper understanding of it all. If not spark an interest in areas you would have never even been interested in before.

You're still young though and have plenty of time to figure it all out. Don't worry too much about it and just have fun through your young years. Eventually you'll calm down and find intellectual shit that will stimulate your brain in more ways than you can possibly imagine.

Oh yea, great thread title by the way. Office Space is one hell of a movie.
I'm on the brink of insanity, between extreme intelligence and split personalities
But I elevate to the point of reversing gravity
Revolutionary conceptuality spitting out of me
Even the dead people in my family tell me they proud of me

zombiefeynman

Postby zombiefeynman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

People have said you'll be ruining your life if you don't try. This may require an addendum.

You will ruin your life if you don't try at anything, whether in or out of school.

I know a guy who just barely graduated, had a GPA below 1.5 for a while. He's really smart, but he literally did no work at all for the school year. He just took tests every now and then. By looking at his grades you could find out how highly various classes ranked tests because his best classes were the science courses where tests were most of the grade. He was able to understand the material competently without drilling and packets, etc. -But- as he was skating over the thin ice, if you'll excuse my imagery, he had an after-school job or two and some good connections at research firms. End result? He didn't get into a great college - but he has a job offer or two and knows what he's doing. He has justifiable confidence in the future. It's a pretty dang thin edge to walk, but if you have motivation in something you like, and that something is marketable, you might be okay.

My advice, however, is to try a little at school. Not hard enough that you don't have any more fun, but there's a very thin line of trying between failing and getting solid A/Bs for someone in your situation. You won't have to try that hard to get into the high B-range if you go to a typical hold-my-hand-while-I-doodle-my-feelings American school, and you can still be lazy. (Unless you get the occasional awesome teacher, in which case you'll probably get motivated anyway.)

Return to “School”