Yearbooks

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

rubber314chicken

Yearbooks

Postby rubber314chicken » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:35 am UTC

This year ours are full of mistakes and typos. People are in the wrong grade.

And someone signed mine in pencil. If I didn't like her I'd have to kill her.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Allenr

Re: Yearbooks

Postby Allenr » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:25 am UTC

I had fun counting the mistakes in mine. Found about 15 so far, spelling errors mainly. The best thing in our is that ever single picture, excluding the single students, are BADLY pixalated. I would think that our school, focusing math, science, and computers, would be able to find pictures and shape them without destroying the quality. I was wrong.
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

mdyrud

Postby mdyrud » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:42 pm UTC

We won't get ours until this coming fall, but I know that it will have many of the same things that they have had in the past. Horrible misspellings and fabricated quotes. I am dreading seeing what the yearbook people attributed to me on the topic of Math League. From what I have heard from them, I am quoted as saying something along the lines of "math is hard for the common people but it's simple for people like me." You know, maybe I should practice fleeing from irate classmates over the summer.

HeroicFail

Postby HeroicFail » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

The sentence structure is the same for nearly everything.

Captions begin with "<prep> <pronoun> <noun> <adjective>, <noun> ...."

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:This year ours are full of mistakes and typos. People are in the wrong grade.

And someone signed mine in pencil. If I didn't like her I'd have to kill her.

My senior year of highschool, when I actually helped to make the Yearbook, there were a few things screwed up. A few student quotes got messed up (one person wanted "OM NOM NOM", and got "OM MOM NOM"), but not all that many. The biggest thing, though, wasn't our fault. About a third of the books came with the front page in the back of the book, and the index at the front (WTF?). That really screwed up the appearance, since we had images that went from the front cover to the front page, and the index to the back cover.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
rubber314chicken wrote:A few student quotes got messed up (one person wanted "OM NOM NOM", and got "OM MOM NOM"), but not all that many.

Speaking of quotes, my yearbook had some great ones:

"If you do nothing else in high school...dress cute"
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're headin', and hook up with them later."

/facepalm
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

The best made up quote in ours was "The hunnies are smokin', if you know what I mean"
Official Thread-Jacker

Tofer

Postby Tofer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:30 am UTC

Allenr wrote:I had fun counting the mistakes in mine. Found about 15 so far, spelling errors mainly. The best thing in our is that ever single picture, excluding the single students, are BADLY pixalated. I would think that our school, focusing math, science, and computers, would be able to find pictures and shape them without destroying the quality. I was wrong.

I had fun counting the mistakes in this post. I found four for sure, although you could argue that there are five.

The point is, people make mistakes. Unless you're immune to making mistakes (uhh yeah, you're not), you might want to consider cutting them some slack.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

It took me far too long to realize that yearbooks are useless, especially if you get them in the fall of the next year. Then you can't have friends write memories or anything in them, which I think is the best part and one of the only reasons why I'd look at them again.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

ajbleck

Postby ajbleck » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:13 pm UTC

They spelled a teacher's name wrong in mine, and there is a kid that photobombed almost all of the club photos, how did the editors not see that? They also put my name twice for the swim team instead of the other kids name.
"Android Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." GLaDOS
ImageImage

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

Tofer wrote:
Allenr wrote:I had fun counting the mistakes in mine. Found about 15 so far, spelling errors mainly. The best thing in our is that ever single picture, excluding the single students, are BADLY pixalated. I would think that our school, focusing math, science, and computers, would be able to find pictures and shape them without destroying the quality. I was wrong.

I had fun counting the mistakes in this post. I found four for sure, although you could argue that there are five.

The point is, people make mistakes. Unless you're immune to making mistakes (uhh yeah, you're not), you might want to consider cutting them some slack.

Sorry Tofer, but there is a difference between spelling and grammer errors on a forum and in a yearbook.
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:34 am UTC

Tofer wrote:

people do make mistakes, that's why things like yearbooks should go through proof reads

Quenouille

Postby Quenouille » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:44 am UTC

Am I the only one who didn't pick it up and generally see them as pointless? I seem to be in the minority at the least.

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:54 am UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:This year ours are full of mistakes and typos. People are in the wrong grade.

My brother recently received his year book. His friend, quite possibly the whitest person in the world, has had his picture mistakenly replaced with some random Asian child who does not even attend the school. Whaaaat?

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

Quenouille wrote:Am I the only one who didn't pick it up and generally see them as pointless? I seem to be in the minority at the least.

I would not have bought one but my parents gave me the money to get it. I do see them as being pretty pointless also.
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

My yearbook was like, 400 pages long, hard cover. It's pretty nice.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Nyktos

Postby Nyktos » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

My yearbook last year had a picture of me so bad I didn't even recognize myself in it at first. Aside from that, it was okay.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:40 am UTC

Nyktos wrote:My yearbook last year had a picture of me so bad I didn't even recognize myself in it at first. Aside from that, it was okay.

My friend's cousin thinks I'm a cutie. I think my picture is horrible because I look totally stoned.
Official Thread-Jacker

Timmeu13

Postby Timmeu13 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

our are pretty nice though there are bound to be mistakes, but the worst one was this year. The theme for the book was Be. so on the cover and throughout the book there is be followed by adjectives. The cover and back have the most and the third from last word on the front is motiivated, then they reuse it on the back and its spelled right. I asked someone on the yearbook club and they said the teacher leading it messed that up.

Oh also there is at least one teacher completely missing from it even in the teacher pages.
Michael Crichton wrote: Grown men swatting little balls, while the rest of the world pays money to appluad.

Ian Malcom on professional sports in Jurassic Park.

I reread it for raptor facts and come out with this.

howardh

Postby howardh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

I wrote "std::cout". Upon proofreading it, the english teachers changed it to "std::count".
meow

Scheherazade

Postby Scheherazade » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:43 am UTC

Keep in mind that not all yearbooks are created equal. I was on staff for two years, and we were quite vigilant with our production. After a section finished one of their spreads, they would go over it several times for errors. It would get sent off to the publisher, who would then send back full-size proofs. It's easier to see errors then, so the section would go over their proof again, along with our advisor sometimes.

Even then, mistakes do get made and we try our best to fix them. For example, a full page senior ad once had a typo in the corner. We ordered stickers with the correct information printed, and the entire staff made an assembly line to place the stickers over the typo. In every single yearbook.

So, I'm sorry if any of you got a crappy yearbook, but some staffs invest an overwhelming amount of time to document the year. If the Associated Press can make mistakes, a high school yearbook can too. Nothing is perfect.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

Mine has my name mispelled.
Twice.
GRRR!
Omni.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

Ours was student created, a lot of the pages were crappy, My page was conspicuous for being my photograph with the following written in Helvetica:

The Who wrote:"You were under the impression
That when you were walking forwards
You'd end up further onward,
But things ain't quite that simple"

No-one got the joke.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

G2_00

Postby G2_00 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:59 am UTC

Ours generally don't have many mistakes. There are a few wrong labels and it is sad when it is your friends that are missing. This year the Mu Alpha Theta picture and National Honor Society picture were missing. =( Tri-M was present and we had a crazy picture, like always. I got to put everyone where I wanted them because my friend, the president, said it was the historian's (my) job. Other than that, only one of the band directors made it into the teacher's section. Not surprising in the least as we rarely see them outside the office. We were surprised there was even one of them in the teacher's section.

Despite our lack of typos, the theme was horrible. It was based on seasons. You had to try and guess what each honor society and club was season wise. Band was, of course, fall. Winter was orchestra. Spring was chorus. I am still looking for some of the clubs and it has been over a month. Needless to say, the season idea was horrible and should never be done again. Also, normally we have time to sign yearbooks at school. Our school wasted too many days on pep rallies so we couldn't have the normal get together on the field. Also, they said that if they saw anyone with the yearbooks at school after we got them, they would be confiscated. I got very few signatures and felt horrible for the seniors who weren't allowed their final signing session. I hope that doesn't happen again next year, but it probably will since our football team is getting better.

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:06 am UTC

G2_00 wrote:Also, they said that if they saw anyone with the yearbooks at school after we got them, they would be confiscated.

I'm sorry, but do you know ANY of the rational behind this? it seems totally opposite to the point of a yearbook

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

It's disruptive to class if people are trading yearbooks instead of paying attention.

My school solved this by... letting the students exchange yearbooks. You could also get teacher signatures.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:40 am UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Ours was student created, a lot of the pages were crappy, My page was conspicuous for being my photograph with the following written in Helvetica:

The Who wrote:"You were under the impression
That when you were walking forwards
You'd end up further onward,
But things ain't quite that simple"

No-one got the joke.

I don't get it either.
Official Thread-Jacker

G2_00

Postby G2_00 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:29 am UTC

keeperofdakeys wrote:
G2_00 wrote:Also, they said that if they saw anyone with the yearbooks at school after we got them, they would be confiscated.

I'm sorry, but do you know ANY of the rational behind this? it seems totally opposite to the point of a yearbook

As previously stated, they found it distracting. Generally we had an outside "pep rally" where the teachers and other students would sign yearbooks. Band kids would sneak out to the band room and get the final band signatures. This year we were unable to do that and they distribute them after most of the sports and music banquets. Thus, everyone was planning on bringing them to school. AP teachers had no problem since we were all done for the year (yearbooks are normally distributed after the last exam since that is the last friday seniors have to be there). The health teacher, on the other hand, was already in charge of a class that deteriorated into mass chaos each day. She was strict on the yearbook policy.

zaqwithaq

Postby zaqwithaq » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

Our Yearbook staff had a few pranks in it. including but possibly not limited to: photoshoping people's pictures, (a male swimmer recieved a breast augmentation.) Adding Hidden messages (along the lines of: i want your mom in bed haha balls. lolz!!1one!) to changing someone's name (VonSchelfenhausen -> VonSlutenhausen).
The cover art looked like it had been water damaged, band didn't get a page, but one person's car got a 2 page spread because it was pink...
Clubs were forgotten including the broadcast news team at our school and orchestra.
I also think having pages dedicated to Math or English are redundant. I mean, DUH you took algebra in High school... and the focus on the activities of SPECIFIC classes, so individuals won't remember anything that's being described

I had a teacher that wouldn't let us even have our yearbook in class durring her class untill the day of the final. With the extra time after the final, we all signed each others. But in other classes, we just had free days before the final to sign.
Spoiler:

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:00 am UTC

My Friend wrote:Life is full of opportunities. Like this one. I just lost teh game.
teehee. so funny.

Ours always seems to come out nice...They give us them on the last "day" of school (when everybody has a sigh-fest) , but seniors get them a couple weeks earlier, in order to amass signatures. I ends up working out.

krynd

Postby krynd » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:52 am UTC

My school seemed like it would be a strange mix between many of the prior statements of asshattery by schools.

First off, every year the yearbooks were delivered later and later in the year (at higher cost at that! That factors in later kiddies). This eventually got to the point that my senior year yearbook wasn't distributed until somewhere in late August, long after most everyone I knew (and hence wanted to sign my yearbook) left the area to pursue their education. Now, because of the previously-mentioned high cost of my school's yearbooks (which was higher for my senior year because the yearbook advisor's son graduated, so we obviously had to have full-color everything, with so much extra crap it wasn't funny), most everyone I knew didn't buy a yearbook until their senior year. So, yeah, we were all pissed that not only did we drop a relative fortune on our yearbooks (it was over $100 a copy), most everyone didn't get a single signature (save for the dedicated few that bothered their old friends at university).

Second, on the years that my school wasn't being completely douchey about our yearbooks (ie they'd be distributed before school ended), we weren't allowed to sign them in class, in the halls, at lunch, etc. We had to ninja signatures of our classmates and teachers whenever we got the chance (for some reason, no one thought to have a private get-together after class at the bowling alley or something like that. We really thought that through, didn't we?).

Last, did I mention the cost? Seriously, I feel the need to repeat this, because it's just asinine. The basleline cost was around $75 on a regular year, and it jumped up to over $100 for my senior year (we all hated that kid. Sure, he was a nice fellow, got along well with us all, but his mother was a complete douche for doing that). "Thankfully" most people that went to my high school came from comparatively well-to-do families (ie traditional middle class, not "Bush-era" middle class; aka "basically working poor, but we'll call it middle class anyway"), and could save for the outrageous cost. Now, the "poor" kids on the other hand... well, they got a nice reminder of the draconian nature of capitalism (or rather what an asshat our yearbook advisor was) and have a potential class divide to look forward to at every class reunion.

PS: From what I've heard, nothing was said or done about our yearbook advisor's asshattery, and she probably is still doing things like it to this day.
Dangermouse wrote:I hope this doesn't mirror too much of what you've read--and btw, you should read less and do more. No one takes good pictures or runs a marathon sitting on their couch surfing the internet.

WCG xkcd team

demitry

Postby demitry » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:45 pm UTC

I've got one but I don't have any pic.....!

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

true story:
During club periods, I put a fake name on the roll sheet for each club. I'm listed as 3 different people during my senior year.

And the cover of my yearbook is embossed "Don Juan."
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

We had a mystery transfer our senior year, some kid whose wealthy parents wanted him to have something to do but never enforced his attendance. As such, I saw him twice, and that was about the average number of sightings the kid had. His locker was perpetually used by classmates as a holding ground for extra stuff, people with free periods periodically hopped into his classes and pretended to be him.

Anyhow, because he almost literally never came to school, his yearbook materials became a giant freebie for everyone, so this kid got credit for starting all sorts of clubs and programs, traveled to exotic locations (complete with photo shopped images of him in Tahiti and Svalbard), and was generally used as the yearbook staff and whatever contributors felt funny
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:39 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:We had a mystery transfer our senior year, some kid whose wealthy parents wanted him to have something to do but never enforced his attendance. As such, I saw him twice, and that was about the average number of sightings the kid had. His locker was perpetually used by classmates as a holding ground for extra stuff, people with free periods periodically hopped into his classes and pretended to be him.

Anyhow, because he almost literally never came to school, his yearbook materials became a giant freebie for everyone, so this kid got credit for starting all sorts of clubs and programs, traveled to exotic locations (complete with photo shopped images of him in Tahiti and Svalbard), and was generally used as the yearbook staff and whatever contributors felt funny

this is awesome!!!!!

fujiyamaninja

Postby fujiyamaninja » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

Last year, my school won the regional academic olympics, and the article on the academic team page didn't even mention that we won. Instead it was in the caption on one of the photos. Un-freakin'-believable.

This year, those of us on the far superior newspaper staff convinced the Yearbook staff that the yearbook processing plant burned down, and that the yearbook could not be printed. :lol:

Ironically my current best deck is neither blue, nor has ninjas... o_O

blackfish

Postby blackfish » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:47 am UTC

There are too many errors :? kill kill

Return to “School”