What is/was your college GPA?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

What is/was your college GPA?

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:49 am UTC

So there are test score threads and class rank threads, I figure there should be college grade threads. I'm assuming most if not all universities (in the US) don't have weighted grades, so they're out of a proper 4.0 total.

What's your GPA, what's it out of, and where'd you go to school.

I had 3.973/4.0 at the University of Michigan.

(I'd put a poll but I think some places are out of 5 and there are various other differences that would make one less helpful.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Re: What is/was your college GPA?

Postby Jacque » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:16 am UTC

3.598/4.0 - University of Michigan (graduated)

Might help to state whether or not one is graduated seeing as how doing well for just one semester is much different than consistently doing well for 8 or more.

gmalivuk wrote:I had 3.973/4.0 at the University of Michigan.

Is that like an A- in one or two classes in four or so years?

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:21 am UTC

I believe right now I have a 3.782/4.0 cumulative after 6 semesters as a music education major at Lebanon Valley College (the website where I can check isn't behaving...) Two more semesters to go...
Last edited by saxmaniac1987 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Jacque wrote:

An A- in one class and a B+ in another.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

MoghLiechty2

Postby MoghLiechty2 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:05 am UTC

That's... impressive.

3.7 ish at Purdue University (that's a Michigan rival for you non-Big-10 students) after 2 years. See, it would be better were it not for these stupid forums. :? Anyone know what kind of GPA the Masters programs at very good schools (Princeton, Stanford, etc.) expect, or is GPA generally less relevant than other factors?

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

For Princeton/Stanford you should be aiming for probably around a 3.6+, but there are a lot of other important factors when going to a good grad school.(good recommendation letters are vital when applying to those grad schools, much more so then when applying for an undergrad degree)

That being said I barely break a 3.0/4 at Wisconsin, but I feel like this doesn't do my autodidactic tendencies any justice.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:58 am UTC

GO BOILERMAKERS!!!!!
(Er, yeah, I'm from MI - and weird I didn't know anyone else is! I presume you folks aren't anymore? Either that or you are ignoring the meet thread I made)

I was doing well with a 3.77 at Oakland University....then an incident with some hazmat improper handling by the biochem lab class (professor's fault) gave me chronic migraines that took about 8 months to get under control (I still get them, but not so bad) and of course this happened the week before fall finals week - and I graduated next May, so it pretty much screwed up last 2 semesters of grades dropping me to a lovely 3.58 and they wouldn't freakin' round up to 3.6 so I was the only biochem major not to have honors chords! >_< I was always an A-/B+ student.

Now in grad school I have a 3.7. <3 research, easy 4.0's, I'm sure it will go up as the research grades increase to buffer out courses haha. Always was better in a lab than in a classroom. Of course, lab is the important thing so that's fine by me.

If you are sciences, lab experience and good recommendations from labs you've worked in are just as important as long as you have a halfway decent GPA. For example, even with only a 3.58 with my extensive research background got me accepted at Purdue without even a call for an interview or anything (which totally shocked me, I thought that was SoP, but I heard back 2 weeks after mailing in my application with the acceptance for their PhD program and their offer!) So yeah...research if you are sciences anyway matters a lot.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:49 am UTC

I'm pretty sure I passed more classes than not, because they did give me a degree (B.A. French lang/lit). Actually, I only failed two classes, both by the same prof, in the same year: Corrective (Comparative/Contrastive or summat) French Phonetics, and History of French Phonetics. I took them because I hoped they'd be kinda sciency.

It took three years of Uni for me to realise that I just plain hated school. Always had, even though I'd been a "good student" (good memory and good test-taker) all through K-12. University proved to me that I wasn't willing to do the work. I just fecking hated academia. My failed courses were during 4th year, when I was just trying to drag my sorry ass through to finish the damn useless degree (now that I'd decided I would never be a teacher).

I still like the concept of education. I've taken evening/"Continuing Ed" courses most of the years since I've been out of Uni, and I finally got a subscription to Scientific American. I've even batted about the idea of going for a master's in something. I just don't have the confidence that I'll remain motivated long enough to finish it, regardless of the subject matter. :|

Now, freedom to play in a Uni-style lab, of almost any sort, without having to do paperwork? I'd be all over that like my friend Catherine on dropped tuna...
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

TTS

Postby TTS » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:52 pm UTC

Currently sitting at 3.5 after about a semester's worth of credit-worthy classes. Also taken a few remedial classes that don't count towards my GPA. Currently at a community college in NJ, although I desire to transfer out eventually.

vector

Postby vector » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:41 am UTC

Currently 3.7/4.0 after two semesters of classes (one as a mechanical engineer, one as a math major after I discovered I hate real-world applications) at UC Berkeley. To give a little more perspective, I've finished the math curriculum through the standard coursework for sophomore year and should be considered a senior (based on credits, not requirements) after next semester--provided I don't fail anything :?
Come visit the Bay12 Mafia subforum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

Tofer

Postby Tofer » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:24 am UTC

I started off doing a B.Comm (Hons) majoring in Finance/Accounting for 3 terms, then switched to a B.Sc. in Civil Engineering. I've completed 7 terms of the B.Sc. and I plan to go back and finish the first degree in 3 terms immediately after.

This is obviously not advisable to anyone who values time or money. :oops:

My cumulative GPA across 10 terms is 4.05/4.5. My school considers an A+ a 4.5 while an A is 4.0. I have no idea why.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:29 am UTC

Graduated with 3.859/4.0 with a BS in Biology from University of Delaware.

I wonder if there's going to be a GPA topic for high schoolers, hehe.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:57 am UTC

Someone could create one, but it wouldn't be particularly useful I think, since some schools are out of 4.0 and some are 4.3 or 4.5 or 5.0 or 5.3. I figured the class rank one was a better way to measure high school academic prowess.
---

(he/him/his)

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Jacque wrote:

An A- in one class and a B+ in another.

Man, I wish my college had A-'s and B+'s -- my GPA would've been a lot higher. But no -- just flat A's (4.0), B's (3.0), C's (2.0), etc. I was stuck in the 88 rut more often than not come final time... I'd need to ace the final to pull off an A, but I'd have to make an effort to fail to get the C.

I averaged out to a 3.0 or so.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Just graduated with a 3.93/4.0 from Yale.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:47 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Someone could create one, but it wouldn't be particularly useful I think, since some schools are out of 4.0 and some are 4.3 or 4.5 or 5.0 or 5.3. I figured the class rank one was a better way to measure high school academic prowess.

True enough...

gpnm

Postby gpnm » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:32 am UTC

3.75 / 4.0 at Hunter College (CUNY) after 2 semesters, double major in Economics / Political Science.
So far the only class I've had a problem with was my Geology 101 (mandatory physical / lab science).

dunderthunder

Postby dunderthunder » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

3.06 at the University of California Davis with a CS major! Yeah!

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:02 am UTC

12.5/13.0 after 1 year at University of Windsor.

I'm mostly posting this to point out how strange we are. F- is 0, F is 1, D- is 2... A+ is 13.
I've never heard of anywhere else using this.

Cup of Dirt

Postby Cup of Dirt » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:43 am UTC

3.89/4.0 at Stevens Institute of Technology. It actually should have been lower, if I'm being completely honest. Grade inflation was out of control, at least in the physics and math departments. But oh well...
"Why can't people see things the way they are?"
"Because that's the way they are. Why can't you see that?"

gigogurl

Postby gigogurl » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:10 am UTC

I don't really know why I'm sharing this, but why not... 4.7/5.0 at MIT, 3 years in. If only I'd found this thread a year ago before junior year killed my GPA (for some very small value of killed, I suppose - I'm not particularly ashamed of a 4.7, or I wouldn't be posting it) I could've bragged about my 4.9. *sigh* I'll be happy as long as this downward trend doesn't continue.

Nerzaghal

Postby Nerzaghal » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:12 am UTC

3.80/4.0 doing Chemistry Major w/Physics + Math Minor at Fairfield University (I'd double major if the core wasn't so f'ing big)
I have a 3.9x/4.0 in chemistry, with A's in all classes except a 1 credit lab, which had an A-, the core classes hurt me more than the science classes :<
If it ain't broke, break it so you can try to fix it!

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:30 am UTC

3.78/4.0 . It would have been higher, but I had to take Technical English.

Nlelith

Postby Nlelith » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:28 am UTC

Currently 3.2/4.0 at University of Michigan after two years. Hopefully I'll be able to get it higher now that I got most of my general requirements out of the way. Still, it's tough...

blackrose

Postby blackrose » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:12 am UTC

Considering I'm holding down Math, Chemistry, and Physics, a 3.6 is freaking awesome. I welcome the B+'s.
I don't watch 24 hour news channels because they are retarded.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:44 pm UTC

3.43/4.0 after my first year doing general education at a community college.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

tiramisuloverr

Postby tiramisuloverr » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

Last edited by tiramisuloverr on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

I graduated with a 3.74/4.0 at New York University. 3.86 in my major (psychology). I should have made magna cum laude but they changed the rules the year before I graduated. It used to be that anyone with a 3.7 and up got magna, but now you have to also be in the top 10% of the class. Something I am still bitter about, considering how hard I worked to make sure I stayed above a 3.7... I did make cum laude, though (3.5 and top 15%).
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Athlondies

Postby Athlondies » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

This whole GPA thing amuses me. Its suprisingly competitive, which might be its saving grace. Otherwise its hilariously school-like.
We just get end of year exam results. ie Your a Mental, or Work Too Hard/Well Done/Bit Thick/Moron/Fuck Off To Another Uni

seridos

Postby seridos » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:51 am UTC

Ah good old xkcd, making my 3.2 after one year in physics major/history minor look like a terrible grade!

Korandder
Location: LoadingReadyRun Australian Astrophysical Observatory

Postby Korandder » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:19 am UTC

I graduated with 7.96 out of 9 from the University of Victoria, another school which uses a weird GPA (9 = A+, 8 = A, ...)

ohthecommotion

Postby ohthecommotion » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

Currently at a 2.70/4.00 at a terrible school, though that doesn't factor in the two years I spent at different colleges before transferring here. I really had one horrible semester, my last three semesters combined to a 3.09 (which, while I'm proud of it, still makes me look dumb as a bag of hammers next to the rest of you :roll: ).

This fall is my last semester, then I'm applying to grad school. Wish me luck!!

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

I think it might help to indicate majors or concentrations. A high GPA is harder to pull down in, say, engineering versus political science.

Anyway, mine was 3.845/4.0 at the George Washington University. My field was economics and international affairs; there were a couple tough economics classes in there (environmental econ., econ. development, etc.) that pulled it down a bit. KF
~Kizyr

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

Korandder wrote:I graduated with 7.96 out of 9 from the University of Victoria, another school which uses a weird GPA (9 = A+, 8 = A, ...)

Wow, you were my next door neighbor in terms of schools (University of Vancouver Island).

My GPA is around 8.5 out of 10 (A being 9 and A- being 8 ), but I had a 3.7 out of 4 when at community college the first few semesters of post-secondary.
Last edited by psychosomaticism on Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:A high GPA is harder to pull down in, say, engineering versus political science.

Why should that be?
---

(he/him/his)

Alioth

Postby Alioth » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:40 am UTC

I've got a 5.0/5.0 after 2 years at MIT... but this is easier than it sounds for several reasons. One, I used to think I wanted to do neuro/cognitive/linguistics stuff but have since switched to bioengineering with a healthy dose of CS, which I find significantly more challenging. Two, MIT doesn't count +/- when calculating GPA, and I've definitely gotten my share of minuses.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:49 am UTC

Technically, I'm a high school senior, but I'm graduating a year early and I've been taking college German and computer science classes since my freshman year. My GPA for those classes is about 3.88. There was that one B+ in German I, but other than that, it's been straight A's.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:51 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Kizyr wrote:A high GPA is harder to pull down in, say, engineering versus political science.

Why should that be?

Perhaps it depends on the school. But, classes in our PoliSci department tended to be writing-based, with relatively fewer essays and tests that were easier to get high marks in. Engineering classes were a lot more technical, and required substantially more work just to pass.

It's not a comment on the major. Just a comment on the classes in the department with respect to grades. KF
~Kizyr

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:

Why should that be?

Perhaps it depends on the school. But, classes in our PoliSci department tended to be writing-based, with relatively fewer essays and tests that were easier to get high marks in. Engineering classes were a lot more technical, and required substantially more work just to pass.

It's not a comment on the major. Just a comment on the classes in the department with respect to grades. KF

What's hard for some is easy for others and vice versa.

MidsizeBlowfish

Postby MidsizeBlowfish » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:06 pm UTC

4.0/4.0 in undergrad as a math major at the University of Maryland Baltimore County.

3.87/4.0 through the first year of a math PhD at the University of Illinois. Damn Complex Analysis.

Return to “School”