Do high school teachers ever use "Powerpoint" for teaching?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

pernero

Do high school teachers ever use "Powerpoint" for teaching?

Postby pernero » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

All my high school teachers just taught off the chalkboard or those old school projectors.
I'll be a science/math teacher in a short while and I'm wondering if digital presentations are an accepted method for teaching in high schools?

TheQntty

Re: Do high school teachers ever use "Powerpoint" for teaching?

Postby TheQntty » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

As a high schooler I don't like powerpoint, especially for science and math. I've had teachers use it occasionally but 98% of the time they just write on the chalk board (or white board). I don't think it's a good thing to use in a classroom because there are so few words on each slide and when you're done with a slide then all the information that you're talking about is gone. It also makes lectures feel less interactive and dynamic because lectures never go exactly how you plan but a powerpoint always will.
Last edited by TheQntty on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:01 am UTC

In my experience, most high schools don't exactly have a wealth of digital projection equipment, which makes using powerpoint a little difficult, rather than any problem with powerpoint itself as a teaching aid.

Just don't use gratuitous animations or sound effects and you should be fine.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:04 am UTC

You can use it, but don't use it exclusively. It's not very good for equations, either... Most of the content should be on a markerboard.

la fée verte

Postby la fée verte » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:22 am UTC

Hi pernero, congrats on (almost) becoming a teacher!

I don't remember any of my secondary school teachers using powerpoint, but I've had several lecturers who used it at university level, and I've seen it used in secondary schools during my own bits of teaching experience. From what I've seen, there are some teachers/teaching styles for whom it works brilliantly, and some for whom it really doesn't.

Doing it right:
The linguistics lecturer who taught syntax (sentence structure) with the aid of animated sentences, where the words would fly around and switch places to illustrate different grammatical rules. Fantastic for visual learners, and so much more efficient than trying to do the same thing with chalk-and-talk, rubbing out and rewriting the sentences each time.

The secondary school French teacher who had an interactive, touch-responsive whiteboard and made games like 'drag and drop all the nouns into one box and all the adjectives into the other'. The kids went crazy over it, and were constantly amazed at the amount they had learned, when as far as they were concerned they'd spent the whole period playing computer games! :lol:

The history lecturers who make detailed powerpoint presentations of all the dates, placenames and citations relevant to their topic, and make the presentations available on the university intranet after the lecture, allowing students to focus on listening to the lecture and understanding the broader issues involved in the topic the first time around, then go back and make notes of the picky details in their own time.

Doing it very, very wrong:
One horrendous French lecturer whose idea of teaching was to create a 15-slide ppt, with 150 words of tiny French text filled with names, dates and citations crammed onto every single slide, then zoom through them all at top speed whilst talking (also in French) about something entirely different. Students were somehow expected to take detailed notes on the slides AND whatever he was rambling about, at the same time. Oh, and he refused to make the slides available on the intranet, because 'if we couldn't be bothered to show up and listen then we didn't deserve to pass'. Hmm.
"We are all polylingual but some of us pretend that there is virtue in relying on not trying to understand." - Ani DiFranco

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:37 am UTC

I'd say it depends on what you're teaching. In high school, I only recall one teacher who regularly used Powerpoint. He handed out the slides in packets too (probably ended like three trees doing that).

He did it fantastically. It was AP biology, so cycles, reactions, clades, all forms of figures were very important, and Powerpoint really helped with that.

If you're doing something more like physics, however, I would think a white/blackboard would be better. Partially because you won't rush through everything, and partially because... there's just not very much that needs to be shown instead of written. My AP physics teacher wrote everything out, and it worked very well. My university physics teachers have all used Powerpoint, but it's been more of a size issue than a style issue at that point.

So, yeah. I know at my school it was an "accepted" method, but the only teacher to use it well was my AP Bio teacher. That might be coloring my view, but I think it would greatly improve biology courses and only marginally physics. I'm not sure about chem.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:23 am UTC

I had a physics teacher who used powerpoint for every lesson, although he went through examples and suchlike on the whiteboard. It worked fine.

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:33 am UTC

Most people who use PowerPoint do so poorly, and actually hinder the learning process.
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:02 am UTC

I had one or two high school teachers use projectors, and when they're used properly, they're a very nice tool.

Depending on the science, I can see it being a great tool. Large, labled, full colour photo(s) to go with a bio dissection would be full of win. As a way to show handouts and point out features of diagrams would be great, too. As a strictly note-giving medium, though, not so good.

Math I generally can't see working too well in most cases, but we did have a projector for TI-82's that could come in handy for showing graphs of functions. Showing, graphically, how coefficients affect the results seemed to help some people a lot.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:39 am UTC

I prefer low tech white boards to high tech smart boards. Why?

My brank spanking new school, which is now really hard to navigate (okay, so its weirdly shaped, and there used to be room numbers and arrows painted on the walls to help you navigate) is now ever more confusing by the addition of a bunch of small little offices placed randomly (and now the structural beams are in the middle of the hallway) and a lock of any directional finding equpment.

Now the teachers all have a smart board, and a project, a computer just for that smart board, 2 more for whatever they need them for, whole room sound, a microphone, and a DVD player and all that jazz in EVERY room. The cad computers have 6 gigs of ram, yet the network is so slow they might as well have 640K

Now the problem with all of this? The teachers are spending so much time on learning this, it is taking away from the the class material, and in calc, the teacher is constantly running out of room and having to move to the two white boards next to the smart board.

So, I'll stick with the cheaper white boards, and put all that money spent on them towards new textbooks. New textbooks will do more for a student than new technology will (though all students should know about the technology) Our AP US history texts didn't even cover some material on the test.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:36 am UTC

la fée verte wrote:
One horrendous French lecturer whose idea of teaching was to create a 15-slide ppt, with 150 words of tiny French text filled with names, dates and citations crammed onto every single slide, then zoom through them all at top speed whilst talking (also in French) about something entirely different. Students were somehow expected to take detailed notes on the slides AND whatever he was rambling about, at the same time. Oh, and he refused to make the slides available on the intranet, because 'if we couldn't be bothered to show up and listen then we didn't deserve to pass'. Hmm.

I can beat that.

My chemistry teacher made massive 20-slide powerpoints with graphs and stuff (1 for each day), and he made every student print out every... single... slide... (marks off for missing slides).
For someone who wants to rid the world of water bottles for environmental reasons, he clearly hasn't heard of trees.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:53 am UTC

Vieto wrote:
la fée verte wrote:

I can beat that.

My chemistry teacher made massive 20-slide powerpoints with graphs and stuff (1 for each day), and he made every student print out every... single... slide... (marks off for missing slides).
For someone who wants to rid the world of water bottles for environmental reasons, he clearly hasn't heard of trees.

Bejesus... I went through 300 pages of paper for my chem class, and that includes scrap used for labs, scrap on tests, noes on stuff for the AP exam, and a bunch of organic stuff that we didn't need to know but I wanted to learn anyways.

Those mere 300 pages got me a 5 too.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:43 pm UTC

One of the most awful classes I took during undergrad was an upper-year solid state Physics course whose lectures largely consisted of the professor copying out his notes onto the blackboard and then reading them while standing in front of the blackboard, inhibiting those who were trying to copy the notes down. Powerpoint would have been vastly superior if still far, far from the ideal.

Prior to that I also had some classes featuring pages and pages of formulae presented on acetates via overhead projector. Not so far off from Powerpoint, really.

Madwolf

Postby Madwolf » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:35 pm UTC

Powerpoint and computers can be wonderful when used correctly.

Correct: My calc teacher at my previous school would prepare notes in Word, and handed out printed copies to us while projecting it on the smartboard. These notes contained all the wordy bits. Then all the mathy bits he wrote down on the whiteboards flanking the smart board. Derivations examples, all as he went.

Incorrect: My materials teacher at this school. When one goes to print off her powerpoint notes, ~ 30 pages, double sided, six slides per page showing little of much import. This is backed up by very little lecturing aside from describing the pictures.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

Do you know how to use powerpoint to give dynamic and engaging presentations?
Are you able to direct people's attention away from one display to another in the event that you have to write things on a board?
Do you have the time to memorise your material or the in-depth subject knowlege required so that you're not reading stuff off the board/a cheatsheet, but adding depth and value to the basic information on screen!

If you answered yes to all of the above, then powerpoint is likely to be a good method for you; Otherwise learn those skills before you attempt it.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Flagpole Sitta

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

My teachers in high school would often use powerpoint, and I know my mom, who's a nationally acclaimed* high school physics teacher, used to... before she got a smartboard. All of the high school classrooms in my county are being outfitted with them. Smartboards are these nifty pieces of technology where you can project a slide onto the screen, and then use these special markers to draw a projected line on the board. I'm doing a bad job of explaining, but they're very useful for math and science classes.

Of course I went to school in one of the richest** counties in the US. I think it's the third richest or so. So most public schools probably can't afford smart boards for every teacher.

Regardless, it's really not what you use, so much, as how you use it.

*Seriously. In the world of high school physics, my mom's big news.

**My high school had plasma tvs on the walls in the hall for announcements and such. My senior year pep rally involved a helicopter. Last year and this year the school system was and is millions of dollars in dept. :|
Poxic is, like, awesome. She's my favorite.

Kapojinha is pretty awesome too. <3

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

I find power point annoying because most professors read off of it. There is just no point to that. I think if it's mixed with explaining on whiteboards/blackboards it works better. I prefer stuff on the blackboard/whiteboard though. Usually things are explained better, more in-depth, and slower, so it actually gets across rather than speedreading through a powerpoint.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

I personally don't use them, but might incorporate them once we get projectors.

If a teacher is just reading the powerpoint, then they are doing a bad job. The words in the power point should be supplementing what your trying to tell them, or vise versa.
I think they are useful, because they make it far far easier to incorporate visual images, for the visual learners.
Its one thing to say "Kids had to work in factories in the 1800's", its another thing to show them pictures. (most famous being "glass factory at midnight" <-- er actual title close to that.

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:58 pm UTC

Flagpole Sitta wrote:Smartboards are these nifty pieces of technology where you can project a slide onto the screen, and then use these special markers to draw a projected line on the board. I'm doing a bad job of explaining, but they're very useful for math and science classes.

I'm going to have to dispute that. (I'd bear in mind I helped my old chem teacher cut the old markerboard in half and mount the halves either side of the mandatory smartboard) They're no more functional that an actual whiteboard, but add masses of potential for downtime and require lots of training to use well. Overhead transparancies, and real time planatery cameras are both somewhat more versatile and sit somewhere between the two extemes of technology.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Velict

Postby Velict » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

My science and art history teachers use PowerPoint while teaching. I think it's pretty useful, and it has the added benefit of making class notes available online through our Blackboard page. The key, as has been noted, is knowing how to utilize the PowerPoints to provide a basic outline while still doing all of the verbal lecture yourself. You can't really fit all that much information on a PowerPoint slide, after all.

And yeah, smartboards are really nice. All of my school's math and science classes use them now. They provide a much more convenient format for math-heavy lectures than PowerPoint, and still have the added benefit of being easily posted online.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:I had a physics teacher who used powerpoint for every lesson, although he went through examples and suchlike on the whiteboard. It worked fine.

Same here (for Physics and AP Physics). The powerpoint had overviews and equations on it (and yes, you can get powerpoint to display equations properly), as well as mini-quizzes to test our comprehension (after we'd all answered, it would go to the results and walk through the process). He also did examples on the board, and anything else that wasn't on the powerpoint. I think the key is to be ready to go work things out on the whiteboard if someone asks a question that requires going off the planned path.

Tangentially, I also had a high school teacher who didn't use powerpoint, but read off of handwritten notes. It was everything that can go wrong with powerpoints (completely railroaded class, no time allowed for discussion/clarification questions, etc). The problem isn't the tools used, its trying to schedule a lesson exactly. Teachers who are prepared and allot time for discussion and relevant tangents tend to be more effective.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

pernero wrote:All my high school teachers just taught off the chalkboard or those old school projectors.
I'll be a science/math teacher in a short while and I'm wondering if digital presentations are an accepted method for teaching in high schools?

My history teacher used PP religiously. He even had an assignment where teams had to make one for various points on a chapter.

Some others, but mixed with those projectors and chalk.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

oh, don't even get me started on Power Point assignments.

in grade 10, my teacher made nour class do '2' powerpoints to hand in, loaded to the brim with text, 20+ slides long. Polymers are fun to do animations in though, but take /forever/

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

We did a 'Skyp' :P session with the Media Centre, which also has interactive whiteboards. We rarely use PowerPoint anymore, though the most appropriate class would be science.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

My biology teacher writes class notes in powerpoint. Not as a teaching aid, but as an aid for him, as it's easier to be organized.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

Many of my teachers have notes on a powerpoint while they lecture, which we copy down (with our own abbreviations as we like) while they go into more detail. I find it to be actually pretty helpful. My notes say "Biosphere > Ecosystem > Community > Population > Organism", and the lecture itself goes into more detail so that I can actually explain that.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

I think the only classes were US History and Psychology. It's a lot more common in college, in my opinion.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

ThePurpleSmurf

Postby ThePurpleSmurf » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:12 am UTC

The majority of teachers at my school use PowerPoint/Smartboards. Smartboards work well for math classes (in my opinion) because, like a whiteboard, you can write on them and solve equations and whatnot, but unlike a whiteboard, the work that's done on it can be saved. My math teachers put the in-class notes, with all the things we wrote on them during class online, so if you're confused, you can actually see examples of the problems worked out and if you're absent, you don't really miss anything.

For science classes, it depends on the teacher. They work best if they contain mostly visual aids/diagrams or tables to illustrate the data being talked about for the visual learners. The problem with PowerPoints in general is that people read off them and use then as basically presentation notes rather than as a supplement to the presentation being given.
There is no method to my madness.

waffle flop

Postby waffle flop » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:26 am UTC

In an attempt to "go green" at my high school, teachers use *only* power points (instead of print outs, worksheets, etc). The power points are projected onto a screen with a digital overhead projector. White boards are used too, but that is becoming spare due to some major budget cuts in the district. I think the power point methods are pretty effective as long as the presentations contain enough information for us to take good notes. :)

seridos

Postby seridos » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:32 am UTC

I'm also a future teacher (phys, social, math), and I definitely plan on making use of powerpoint. Just put your basic notes on powerpoint, and work out the examples on the board. Or, as some of my uni profs do, you can even do your examples online ,but make sure you have every step, and set it up so that the steps only show up one at a time till eventually the whole thing is solved.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:11 am UTC

Powerpoint is a lot more common in a university setting, for various reasons. Universities tend to have more cash and many classrooms can be outfitted with their own projectors that let you hook up a laptop, a vcr, and a dvd player. In some of the buildings at my undergrad university the windows in each room have shades that come down when you activate the projector.

I would say it really depends on what you're teaching specifically whether or not you want to do Powerpoint. I really like Powerpoint for presentations like seminars and projects.

If you do end up wanting to use Powerpoint, I'd try looking up some of the tips that some people have made; in a couple of seminar courses, the professors distributed such tips on the first day just so we wouldn't fall for the pitfalls. Here are some tips that I think you should keep in mind:

Do not hide behind the computer and stay there. Get a remote if you can so you can move around and engage with the students. Give eye contact. Don't tie yourself down to the computer.

Do not fill your powerpoint with text. Small text is obviously hard to see, but text also distracts your students as they're just copying stuff down, even ahead of what you're talking about, if the text is already up there. Never put all the words you are going to say on the slide; your students won't even listen to you until they're done copying stuff down. One professor has told me he distributed powerpoints to all of his students before the class, but the print-outs are missing key words that they can only fill in if they come to class and pay attention. This makes sure that the students aren't too busy writing stuff down all the time so they can pay attention to the lecture.

If I have a slide with only text I sigh and start hunting for a picture to spice it up. My philosophy for putting stuff on slides is you only want to put very important text, numbers such as statistics you might want people to remember (numbers are hard to remember if you just hear them), and figures and pictures that are nice eye candy. I have given presentations with a powerpoint that was mostly only pictures for eye candy; for this, I think of the presentation like a nature documentary and you are the narrator. You learn stuff from a documentary, don't you? That's because they're effective at grabbing your attention, which a powerpoint can help you do.

If I get hired at a university after grad school, I'll be using powerpoint, probably. It's one thing to talk to your students, but it's another thing when they get to see something. The way to beat powerpoint is to get even MORE interactive. A biology professor at my current university has told me she brings in animals for most of her lectures; she was giving a talk about how to teach for TA's and basically brought in animals as an example of how she teaches, and by gosh did the hands-on experience engage us TA's. The same thing applies to any student.

Remember, powerpoint is only a tool to better show things to your students. Don't feel that you should be forced to use powerpoint or forced not to.

Ouch.jars

Postby Ouch.jars » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:03 am UTC

One of my teachers made a powerpoint, and it took ages to get through it all, because his process for showing it was:
1. Transition to new slide and leave it there for a while without doing anything
2. Get student(s) to read off the slide
3. Summarise/read out the slide and add one or two points
Most of it was also copied straight from the textbook...

No other teachers have attempted, but I get quite a few powerpoint assignments, which we normally have to present to the class so there's a little bit of a point.

My school has a couple of smartboards, but I've only had it used in a class of mine once.
ouchjars: putting the "pie" in "sapience" since '08

gereffi

Postby gereffi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:49 am UTC

We have Smartboards in practically every room in my high school. Power Point is usually a good thing to have. Teachers don't have to give out as many handouts, teachers can focus more on discussion than writing on the whiteboard, and some teachers are even smart enough to make a jeopardy style game out if it. The Smartboards are convenient to have, but I don't really think it improves students' learning experiences. I would have much preferred air conditioning.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:15 am UTC

Lots of the useful points have been touched on already, but I'll give my perspective.

As others have said, Powerpoint can be a useful tool, but is frequently used poorly. Personally, all my favourite lectures at Uni were the ones that didn't use Powerpoint at all, or only used it for outline and used a white/blackboard for most of the content. The one thing Powerpoint is really useful for is providing ready-made notes, but the fact that these exist means I knew I didn't have to concentrate in the lecture and didn't learn as much. I loved lectures where I was frantically writing notes most of the time. That's the university context, though, and in an engineering course where most of the content was equations, which are (imo) better derived/demonstrated/solved/proved 'live' on a board. Whatever you do, don't just dim the lights and read off slides - you'll have the class asleep within 2 minutes (and far, far too many presenters that should know better do exactly this).

Powerpoint was only used by a few of the teachers in my school, but generally they used it reasonably well when they did - it certainly wasn't the main teaching method for any of my teachers, just a supplement. My Chemistry and Electronics teachers used it the most, and as I recall they were reasonably good. In Chemistry it was used to demonstrate reaction equations and stuff, with well constructed animated slides and videos of the actual experiment. Electronics had most of the notes delivered in powerpoint, but they were kept short and snappy and the majority of the class time was experiments and actually doing things.

If you're going to use Powerpoint the most important thing is that you're able to divert attention away from the screen. You need to be a reasonably engaging speaker, so people (at least sometimes) watch you when you're talking instead of the slides (and keep the slides reasonably brief). As others have said, get a clicker and move around, keep it dynamic and mix as much non-text content in as you can (whether it's in powerpoint or not). Don't overuse animation, either, but also don't be afraid to use it if it's useful - there's no reason to animate each line of text coming onto a slide, but if you have a diagram with information that builds up, it can be useful to animate it in stages. If you've got decent speakers then well-selected extremely infrequent sound effects can serve well in a long lecture to keep people awake. I've seen people suggesting that you should blank powerpoint slides when you're talking (ctrl+B or ctrl+W in a presentation), but from my experience that doesn't work in an educational context, because students will be taking notes from the slides and will complain if they can't read them.

oxy

Postby oxy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

Some teachers use PPTs well, some fail.

If the teacher is just reading whats on the screen, then thats bad. S/he should be explaining it. And as said before, it works a lot better for things that need to be explained, like biology, than things that need to be worked through, like math. And really the only time a powerpoint is better than a dead tree copy of the material is with big color items, like art or diagrams.

Although I do have a math teacher in my school with a tablet laptop, which he does all the work on for the class, as examples, and projects up onto a screen. Then all the work is saved in a .tiff file and posted online.

dawesbr

Postby dawesbr » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Most of my high school teachers' powerpoints put me to sleep, but it can be used well. I think the best teaching tool at my school is SmartBook, which is an electronic noteboard powerpoint program where the teacher adds notes, writes the pages from scratch, draws diagrams etc., and can be used for demonstrations and so forth.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:40 pm UTC

My pre-calculus teacher uses powerpoints for teaching, but merely uses it to put up main points, and practice problems. Then when we go over them problem, he writes it out on the board, as he just projects directly onto the whiteboard. It is effective, but I find he teaches to slow, especially for a pre-calc honors teacher. But that may just be because the people in my grade are just not as fast learners as i am...
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Sisyhus

Postby Sisyhus » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:11 am UTC

I have two teachers who d anything with power point really, my A.p. computer sciences teacher and my physics teacher. They have totally diffrent styles, but both are engaing presenters, in physiscs he first presents slides, then moves onto drawing all over the whiteboards. He combines lecturing and the power point brilliantly, making for interesting lectures (and a remote is a must for powerpoints).
TEh compsci teacher usually sits in the back next to the pc, becoming slightly hidden (but to be fair, he has a half size room with 40 students in it, he can't stand up in the front really), and he actually uses powerpoints that are open in powerpoint so he can edit them while he lectures (things like asking questions, and forcing us to give him the answer which he posts, and so he ca fix logic flaws, or coding errors) which is pretty engaing, and makes it easy to see, both of them make the powerpoints available online, so you can skip some of the notetaking, which also helps make it more useful.

Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby Chuff » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:22 am UTC

My teachers do, but they all have tablets so it doesn't really count. If you can do that, though, go ahead, it works really well. My math teacher is the best teacher I've ever had, and he teaches exclusively using microsoft word on his tablet.
He also pauses pretty much every class to show funny youtube videos and such, and his graduates last year averaged 100% on their AP Math exams.
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.

crzftx

Re: Do high school teachers ever use "Powerpoint" for teachi

Postby crzftx » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:48 am UTC

Deleted
Last edited by crzftx on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “School”