Stopping annoying anti-plagarism tools

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Nick_Ninja

Stopping annoying anti-plagarism tools

Postby Nick_Ninja » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:13 am UTC

I am in high school, and the tools that they use to detect plagiarism in papers are INCREDIBLY annoying. For instance, take the following sentence:
In the book 'Great Expectations,' the character pip

It's probably been used thousands of times; partially because these papers don't exactly promote creativity here. (no-one writes 'rotating amendment delivery hair' since they'd get marked off)
Basically, if it thinks more than 50% of your paper is plagiarized, you get an F/fail the course and get shot out of cannon. This has bit me in the ass more than once with false positives.
However, the false positive rate is just very annoying, but hasn't made the tools worthless. My idea is to write nearly every sequence of words. While doing this, you should put the script making the gibberish inside of a place that search robots that respect robots.txt won't index. I believe that LexisNexis doesn't respect robots.txt, but I am unsure. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
What do you think of this idea?

I'll whip up a PHP script if people like this.

--Nick
Last edited by Nick_Ninja on Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Velict

Re: Stopping annoying anti-plagarism tools

Postby Velict » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:59 am UTC

My school uses Turnitin.com for our anti-plagiarism software, and I've never had a problem with it. So long as place any excerpt from the text(s) in quotations, a paper you legitimately wrote won't get anywhere near 50% plagiarized - not even 10% in my experience. If you're getting 50%+, consistently, you're doing something very wrong - at least with our software.

Nick_Ninja

Postby Nick_Ninja » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:16 am UTC

Huh, that's odd. So does mine. Does it have variable levels of detection where longer fragments are required for a hit or something? Also, I didn't say that I got CONSISTENTLY, but if you get it about 10% of the time (which is about what I get) it really hurts your grade. In fact, some teachers (not ones that I have) at my school do a system of a -100% grade for plagiarism. (The thinking behind this is that not turning anything in is better than plagiarism.)

--Nick

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Which system is being used in your school? Also, if something comes up, demand your teacher to show proof. ie. which part is being copied from where. They cannot refuse you, and if it looked like a false positive, you can argue with it, or even announce it to the world or something. (thereby giving the school a bad rep)

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:14 pm UTC

Pretty much. "Our magical plagiarism checker said so" is not evidence. (Nor is it meant to be more than a follow-up lead.)
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:57 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:Pretty much. "Our magical plagiarism checker said so" is not evidence. (Nor is it meant to be more than a follow-up lead.)

Well, it could be so long as you verify that the magical plagiarism checker is working properly.

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:17 am UTC

I also use turn-it-in and it allows you to see your plagiarism percentage and which parts are plagiarised after you have submitted it. This means you can fix it then re-submit it, but the checking then gets a much lower priority.
Does your system allow you to see and fix it?

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:07 am UTC

keeperofdakeys wrote:I also use turn-it-in and it allows you to see your plagiarism percentage and which parts are plagiarised after you have submitted it. This means you can fix it then re-submit it, but the checking then gets a much lower priority.
Does your system allow you to see and fix it?

That's an option which can be changed buy individual teachers.

Mr. Freeman

Postby Mr. Freeman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:56 am UTC

A mere accusation of plagiarism can ruin you professionally if it happens at the college level. There is no reason that it shouldn't be taken incredibly seriously at the high school level.

The solution:
If the school (teacher or administrator) accuses you of plagiarism when you have not plagiarized something then get a lawyer and sue them for slander and file for as many things as possible that will legally require that they remove any record of the accusation and require them never to mention it in an official capacity at any point in the future.

Any college worth attending has very strict policies regarding plagiarism. If a plagiarism checking service says that something is plagiarized, the instructors are generally required to verify the result and discuss it with their supervisor before any action is taken. If they decide that you have plagiarized something, you have a hearing to determine whether or not you actually did, during which you can present evidence and make arguments in your favor. If and only if, after serious review, they decide that you've plagiarized something, do they actually make a formal charge of plagiarism.
This process is designed and implemented specifically to prevent instructors from going off half-cocked and screaming "plagiarism" all over the place the second turnitin.com returns a false positive. Most universities realize that this is actually a serious issue and they weigh the consequences of their actions regarding plagiarism. Most high schools, in their usual fashion, throw the term around like candy and are quick to jump to a conclusion of "plagiarism" the second their magical software says that your paper shares some common phrases with something on the internet.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:52 pm UTC

My school uses Turn-it-in as well. However, it allows you to change and resubmit the paper, and also sends a copy of each version to the teacher (I am not sure if that final part is used in other schools with turn-it-in). The teacher then looks to see if the majority of what is plagiarized is in quotes when grading the final version. For example, my 9th grade final project for English, a research paper, had 30% plagiarized. However, of that 30%, only a couple things were outside of quotes, and those were kinds of things that you won't be marked down for, because they were three or four word groups that have been used sometime before.
Then, they check with your sources are cited correctly, so, you could essentially have a ridiculously high percent plagiarized, but not get hurt by it, if it is in quotes and cited correctly. But of course, in that case, you'd probably get marked down for to many quotes.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

sikyon

Postby sikyon » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:56 am UTC

My school uses a plagiarism checker.

Then we had the engineering department suspend its use because of privacy concerns.

I like my school!

Anubis

Postby Anubis » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:05 am UTC

Once my English professor told me I could revise and lengthen a previous paper to satisfy the requirements for a project, and then proceed to fail me from the course when her plagiarism-detector told her that large portions of my paper were nearly identical to another in its database. I then called her and pointed out that the paper from which I had supposedly plagiarized had my name on it, and she was very embarrassed.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

Velict wrote:My school uses Turnitin.com for our anti-plagiarism software, and I've never had a problem with it. So long as place any excerpt from the text(s) in quotations, a paper you legitimately wrote won't get anywhere near 50% plagiarized - not even 10% in my experience. If you're getting 50%+, consistently, you're doing something very wrong - at least with our software.

Well, Turnitin.com goes by what's in its database based off of submitted works, and probably select texts as well. Though, I do recall that at least one of these services was getting sued by copyright violations as they were using works they don't actually hold copyright to.

Voco

Postby Voco » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:35 am UTC

MisterCheif wrote:Then, they check with your sources are cited correctly, so, you could essentially have a ridiculously high percent plagiarized, but not get hurt by it, if it is in quotes and cited correctly. But of course, in that case, you'd probably get marked down for to many quotes.

It's not plagiarism if it's cited correctly. It may not fulfill the requirements of the assignment to simply quote someone else for the entire paper, but it isn't plagiarism.

Return to “School”