What's Your Major?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

notzeb
Without Warning

Re: What's Your Major!?!?!

Postby notzeb » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:55 am UTC

I'm Majoring in Astrobioengineering, with a Minor in Undeclared.

A lot of people ask me what Astrobioengineering is. I like to illustrate with an example of the project I worked on recently. We recently discovered - well, designed - a microscopic organism that is capable of eating rock. We quickly found that it has peak efficiency when digesting lunar material. It grows at an enormous rate, and once it has consumed all resources in its immediate vicinity, it dies quickly. The leftover mass of dead organism looks and tastes remarkably similar to cheese (just for kicks, we challenged about twenty professional taste-testers to distinguish what we had produced from actual cheese, and - get this - less then half of them guessed correctly).

After we had gotten the project to this stage, I moved on to my next project, which was designing microbes that would be capable of surviving in and fermenting the hellish atmosphere of Venus, but I stayed up to date with some of the scientists who were putting the finishing touches on our rock eating experiment. The hardest part, of course, was the delivery mechanism - how to get it to the moon for the final experiment? Last I heard, one of the scientists working on the project had had a breakthrough while waiting for the rocket to be completed - he found a way to make the critters eat through materials other than rock. He explained to me that this made the actual delivery incredibly simple - all you had to do was to stick the creatures in a vial and pack it into the spaceship, which would be eaten from the inside by the time it actually reached the moon. The trick, he said, was getting the things to eat through materials other than rock at a reasonable rate.

The funny thing is, a few days after he told me he had finally figured it all out, I lost contact with him, as well as the rest of the team... I haven't heard from them since.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

oxy

Postby oxy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

Notzeb, what school do you go to? Also, is that undergraduate or graduate?

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:56 pm UTC

oxy wrote:Notzeb, what school do you go to? Also, is that undergraduate or graduate?
The American Samoan School for Mad Science and Engineering. These were some summer research projects for undergraduates that I participated in; most of the grad students don't have time for research as the are busy killing each other off.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

104 days away from a BS in Computer Science -Cyber Warfare

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:45 am UTC

notzeb wrote:The funny thing is, a few days after he told me he had finally figured it all out, I lost contact with him, as well as the rest of the team... I haven't heard from them since.

notzeb wrote:
oxy wrote:Notzeb, what school do you go to? Also, is that undergraduate or graduate?
The American Samoan School for Mad Science and Engineering. These were some summer research projects for undergraduates that I participated in; most of the grad students don't have time for research as the are busy killing each other off.

hehehe. You had me going there for a minute.

also, I think you should sterilize your desk. or your room. or your friend's lab.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

I'm a physics major at Towson University. I haven't decided between the general physics track and the applied physics track.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

etotheix

Postby etotheix » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:39 pm UTC

At the end of this semester I'll be exactly halfway into a Dual B.S. in Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Economics from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute*.

*I keep the name of my school on a sticky so I can spell it should the need arise. :lol:

Airplanes are awesome. Everyone should be an aeronautical engineer.

EmilyR

Postby EmilyR » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 pm UTC

Econ up to a PhD in monetary economics.

Not studying at the moment, but considering going back to uni to study something sports science/physiotherapy related.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:36 am UTC

I hate college and I hate my major.
It's math. Fuck math! Also, fuck college.
And I'm -2.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:38 am UTC

I've decided to major in physics and applied maths and do a minor in astrophysics. I'm attracted to Astroparticle physics as something to do in postgrad. Mixes me two favourite areas: Particle physics and Astrophysics.

Korandder wrote:I have a Bachelor of Science in Physics and Astronomy and I am starting a PhD in Astrophysics in a couple months.

What uni are you doing your PhD at if you don't mind me asking. I'm going to assume ANU because of your location.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

squid-boy

Postby squid-boy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

Mathematics and Computer Science.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

squid-boy wrote:Mathematics and Computer Science.

Hey, me too.

Hit3k wrote:What uni are you doing your PhD at if you don't mind me asking. I'm going to assume ANU because of your location.
You mean you're guessing ANU. If you were assuming it, you wouldn't be asking.
Last edited by Rilian on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
And I'm -2.

squid-boy

Postby squid-boy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:21 pm UTC

Rilian wrote:
squid-boy wrote:Mathematics and Computer Science.

Hey, me too.

High-five!

Durin

Postby Durin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:15 am UTC

This is all a matter of hypothetical since my future is not set in stone at this point.

Major in Physics with a Minor in Math and/or Astronomy at the University of Illinois [or maybe University of Texas at Austin].

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:27 am UTC

UT ftw.
I grew up there.
You like bats? Also, there was this window that used to open to the roof of what used to be the spanish building. I think they changed it to a window that doesn't open, though.
Oh, how I could go on. But I'm not sure you'd be interested.
And I'm -2.

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:02 am UTC

BA in Psychology '09 Christopher Newport University
MA* in Psychology, Concentration in Cognition and Neural Systems, University of Arizona (in progress)
PhD in Psychology, same concentration, same place, computer science minor**, also in progress

*Despite being a scientist in every sense of the word, and having a department in the College of Science, for some reason my department is not allowed to grant me an MS.
**Might change minor to neuroscience. The CS department doesn't have enough courses I can apply to computational neuroscience to make it worthwhile.
Just because it is not physics doesn't mean it is not science.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

DieInRealLife

Postby DieInRealLife » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:08 am UTC

I'm studying Computer Science at the University of Minnesota.

Laurenblue17

Postby Laurenblue17 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

I'm an Art and Design major with a CS minor.
Both departments think I'm crazy. : |

cobaltburrito

Postby cobaltburrito » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

Double majoring in Electrical Engineering and Physics at the University of Alabama.

darthdidious

Postby darthdidious » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:14 am UTC

Just finishing my Bachelor of Music degree (specializing in music theory and minoring in English) and in September I'll be starting a Master of Music degree in music theory. After that I plan to get my PhD in music theory.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:59 am UTC

Laurenblue17 wrote:I'm an Art and Design major with a CS minor.
Both departments think I'm crazy. : |

They don't see the possibilities! I have a friend who did double major CS and music, and it paid off because she has held successful jobs involving both.

Meanwhile, this one is trying to get a PhD in EE...

DivideByZero

Postby DivideByZero » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:29 am UTC

Undergrad next year...

Dual-major in computer science and computer engineering with a minor in Mathematics.

:D

Can't Wait!!!!

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:19 am UTC

undergrad next year: Most likely: Engineering Physics or Engineering Math, with a possible double major.

ImTwenty

Postby ImTwenty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:37 pm UTC

I am an anthropology major. W00t social sciences!
I was going to be a Comp Sci/Comp Eng major. BUT! I like watching people use computers more than using a computer myself.

xx23465xx

Postby xx23465xx » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

physics / computer science :D

still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with that... maybe grad school will help clear that up (or not)

Sana

Postby Sana » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Computer Science, specializing in Software Engineering.

Durin

Postby Durin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:49 am UTC

xx23465xx wrote:physics / computer science :D

still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with that... maybe grad school will help clear that up (or not)

Not to be cheeky but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_Physics

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

got to schedule for 1st term of college, declared double in math/physics considering adding econ to that later.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

mclaughlin129

Postby mclaughlin129 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:54 am UTC

At the moment in working towards a B.S. in aeronautical engineering with a minor in Spanish at the Ohio State University

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:45 am UTC

Well hello there fellow Buckeye!

I'm currently a sophomore Explorations major, which is a fancy word for I have no clue what I want to do with my life. I'm currently looking into (in order of current interest) Psychology, Comparative Literature, Philosophy, Linguistics, Security and Intelligence, as well as a few others. Except I've got 1 3/4 quarters until I have to decide, which scares the crap out of me.

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:39 pm UTC

I'm 3/4 done my Bachelors of Science in Nursing :)

weeeeeeee needles and IVs and chest tubes and gross wounds

G0dzuki

Postby G0dzuki » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:56 am UTC

Medicine for 2 years, then off to a university for another 6 or so years. Diagnostician/Internal Medicine

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

I'm doing an MChem, but all my work this year has been Epidemiology of cancer in chemists.
My Dept is seems wholly unconcerned what I actually do, so long as I do it well and hand it in on time.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:57 am UTC

It's going to be a Bachelor's in Liberal Arts at St. John's College in Santa Fe. After that who knows? Maybe sociology. People fascinate me. But that's up in the air.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

Sir Novelty Fashion

Postby Sir Novelty Fashion » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

Currently finishing up a bachelor's in Egyptology.
The art of advertisement, after the American manner, has introduced into all our life such a lavish use of superlatives, that no standard of value whatever is intact.

Ventanator

Postby Ventanator » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:33 am UTC

Going in June to sign up for my computer science major (possibly with a minor in either English or physics) at the University of Southern Mississippi.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:22 am UTC

Physics. Because I couldn't be arsed to get a degree before I started taking advanced classes, I'm going to get both my degrees in a very tight sequence. I'll get my BSc around X-mas and MSc in a little more than a year from now.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:01 pm UTC

I'm surprised there aren't more Mechanical Engineers!

Anyway, BS in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in German at Michigan Tech. (Yay for only having to take 2 German classes to get a minor! - I took a pre-test that passed me out of 12 credits for German)

Hopefully I'll get a masters in mechatronics or mechanical engineering.

EDIT: or maybe even a PhD. Yikes!

'x7'

Postby 'x7' » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

I start in two months and I'm registered as a Mathematics and History double-major, but I've been looking into Astrophysics lately, I'm very much considering changing it.
A neutron goes into a bar and asks the bartender, "How much for a beer?"
The bartender replies, "For you, no charge."

ntietz

Postby ntietz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

Computer Science with a minor in math and possibly a minor in biology. I'll finish almost all the undergraduate CS my university offers before I'm a senior, at which point I get to do an honors thesis and take graduate classes. Yay!

Return to “School”