Paper!

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

What style of notebook filler paper do you use?

college-ruled
59%
wide-ruled
10%
There are different types of notebook paper!?
18%
blank 8.5*11
2%
legal paper
No votes
graphing paper (quartile or quintile)
11%

Total votes: 93

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Paper!

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 am UTC

To compliment my pencil thread (viewtopic.php?f=44&t=55167), I'm making a thread to celebrate your paper choices. The poll is for your preferred notebook paper, but you can discuss other paper types for anything here.
[*]This might become a religious war, but I didn't see any thread devoted to this topic anywhere and I decided to put it in the same forum as my pencils thread
Last edited by cjmcjmcjmcjm on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Omegaton

Re: Paper!

Postby Omegaton » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:48 am UTC

College-ruled, been using it since I thought it made me look smarter to be using "college" level paper.

Kow

Postby Kow » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:52 am UTC

I hate how much space there is between lines in wide ruled so I go with college ruled.

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 am UTC

I know that there are different types of ruled paper, but I don't really care what I use. As long as it's clean, and I have enough room to scribble down whatever it is I'm writing, I'm not fussy :P

(Actually, I do prefer ruled paper. It's annoying when they give you the unruled paper to write an essay on, and you spend your first five minutes ruling pages up in preparation.)
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

Durin

Postby Durin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:14 am UTC

I use whatever I get but wide rule seems a bit wasteful so I prefer college rule. However, when at my computer I often need to grab paper, and the closest thing is my printer, so I go through quite a bit of 8.5x11.

Pippin

Postby Pippin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:53 am UTC

College rule, all the way. Although I do know one of my friends uses wide-rule and fits two lines of text into each line. Which is absolutely ridiculous. You literally need a magnifying glass to read her notes. But they're incredibly neat.

I also tend to use law margin for history notes and graph paper for math notes/work. Yay notebook paper selections!
"Originality is the art of concealing your sources." -- Benjamin Franklin

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:40 am UTC

You should put graph paper on there too. I use college-ruled for notes, but I like blank and graph for doodling.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:46 am UTC

Environotes, college ruled. The paper is reasonably sturdy, recycled, and doesn't feather at all, so my writing is nice and clean, and ink dries quickly on it.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:04 am UTC

Levi wrote:You should put graph paper on there too. I use college-ruled for notes, but I like blank and graph for doodling.

Fix'd! For some reason, adding an option resets the poll. Sorry :oops:
Also, here's a forum to discuss graphing paper (viewtopic.php?f=44&t=55772)

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

kevmus

Postby kevmus » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:41 am UTC

My handwriting is gas-like (it expands to fit the area it is in), so if I use wideruled it ends up looking like a 3rd grader's homework. With college ruled, I can bump that up to about a 5th grader's homework.

Ventanator

Postby Ventanator » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

I hate how long everything seems on wide-ruled paper...Of course, when the assignment is to fill a page, wide-ruled is often better...

hintss

Postby hintss » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:30 am UTC

anything for writing but blank and graph. my handwriting is naturally messy to everyone but me.

Kohlliah

Postby Kohlliah » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

I don't take notes on paper.... I use Microsoft OneNote and a drawing pad/stylus. That way I don't lose notes between semesters (or during semesters).

But for the sake of argument, I put Wide-ruled since I can't really write essays or take quizzes on my laptop. I use it because I have big, loopy handwriting.
/I fear in me, you will find/
/the antithesis of your good time/

Squid Tamer

Postby Squid Tamer » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:27 am UTC

I use college ruled paper 98% of the time, but I occasionally use other variants if there's nothing else (Which is common, given my pre-planning habits, i.e. none).

When I write on wide ruled I try to do two lines per line, but I always accidentally switch back to big-writing, causing my notes to look completely stupid. And when I use graph paper, I tend start accidentally writing one letter per block, slowing me down and increasing the size of my writing, making my notes look like they were written by an OCD robot with bad handwriting.

TMBFY

Postby TMBFY » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:34 am UTC

Oh...college-rule definitely. My handwriting is just too small, and it looks ridiculous taking up only half a line of wide-rule paper...plus you can fit so much more on a page! so i just tell myself that I'm being environmentally friendly, and not just painfully picky. Sometimes, it even works...
The Most Bizarre Four Years of Your Life

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:45 am UTC

Personally, I use wide-ruled. My x-height could easily fit on college-ruled; however, my capital letters and bottoms of letters such as q,y,p, and j are quite extensive. Also, being a chem major with a math minor at a college, I tend to write a lot of formulas, which fit best into wide-ruled (I can fit a simple fraction into one line)

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:29 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Personally, I use wide-ruled. My x-height could easily fit on college-ruled; however, my capital letters and bottoms of letters such as q,y,p, and j are quite extensive. Also, being a chem major with a math minor at a college, I tend to write a lot of formulas, which fit best into wide-ruled (I can fit a simple fraction into one line)

I've made my cursive a little silly, so now my ascender and descender height is something like 3-4 times my x-height, but I find it stays pretty legible even when they start to cross multiple lines and interfere. Plus, it's fun!

I really need to pull that spencerian script guide out of the library...
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Mr. Freeman

Postby Mr. Freeman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:02 am UTC

I use college ruled paper for taking notes and general text-based writing. The thing here is that it MUST be EXACTLY 8/12" by 11" paper. None of this 8" by 10.5" paper that most filler paper seems to be sold in for whatever stupid reason. I use this size because it matches up with E2 paper and printer paper really nicely whenever I need to turn in a report with all three types of paper.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:22 am UTC

Like kevmus, I have to use college-rule whenever possible for the sake of neatness.

For math I tend to like graph paper, not for graphing, but because when I do math problems they tend to take up a third of the page width-wise, and graph paper makes it easier to fit more problems on one page, cutting down on waste.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 am UTC

College-rule for me. When I look at wide-rule paper, I feel like I should be writing with a crayon in a clenched fist. No offense intended to those who use wide-rule, that's just the feeling I get. I actually think the idea of wide rule being better for equations makes a lot of sense, I may have to get past my bias and try it sometime.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Symmetrical Feet

Postby Symmetrical Feet » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:01 am UTC

College! I like having really densely-spaced information, and wide-ruled is too big... I've been known to have two lines of notes within one line of ruling. (For the biochem unit, I managed three; by the end of the paper, my doodles were more expansive than my notes.) For some reason, when my handwriting gets smaller it becomes much more readable. When it's filling college ruling, it can get pretty icky, and I fear what it would do on wide-ruled.
I'm really picky about the lines, though. If they're too dark, I won't buy or use it. Having too bold/dark/saturated lines on the paper makes it all look icky. This is completely irrelevant.

Nowadays I'm taking my senior high school year online, so I only have a small, unruled sketchpad for doodles and non-school notes.
Things go in one ear, and are then promptly annihilated by the resident ninjas.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:26 am UTC

As far as squared notebooks go, I only get the 5mm ones. I profoundly hate writing in 7mm squares. Why? my average letter height is 5mm!
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

The best is definitely engineering paper - I guess it's a type of graph paper. Still, it is the absolute best for math and analytical courses. If I run out, I use blank.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:11 am UTC

I use graphing paper, but I don't really stick to the lines.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:38 am UTC

Engineering paper (I guess that's graph paper) primarily, but I really like blank paper as well. I write fairly small, but I like to space things out so I can follow the steps sequentially.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:47 am UTC

Either narrow ruled (95% of the time) or official company-headed engineering paper, which is closer to graph than anything else (the remaining 5%).

I'm assuming college ruled is American for narrow ruled...

Return to “School”