Awesome Responses

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

TheChewanater

Awesome Responses

Postby TheChewanater » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:25 am UTC

I'm very surprised I couldn't find a thread like this already.

Post your most literal, satirical, Summer Glau-esque, or just downright awesome test/homework responses. (And possibly the question if necessary.) Or maybe ones you'd like to have put but didn't - it'd be tragic for us to have one less chuckle in our lives because you didn't end up submitting that answer.

For example:

Code: Select all

5) e
  6) d
  7)  This is a trick question.  There are no "first n integers".
    If it meant the first n whole numbers, (e) is correct.
    If it meant the first n natural numbers, (a) is correct.
  8) e
  9) a

(Mostly just because it was supposed to be multiple choice.)

I might have more later. I'm sure someone here has a better one.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

phider2

Re: Awesome Responses

Postby phider2 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:57 am UTC

My pre-calc/calc teacher used to have tests in which graphing problems still had A) and B) choices and a letter blank (the graph was always under A). At some point I started writing in A on the blank for every graph problem. By the end of the year in calc my teacher had noticed and started jokingly marking them wrong and writing B next to them when he graded. Except the time I messed up the graph. Then I put my own graph under B and wrote that instead.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:58 am UTC

Code: Select all

6) It will result a compile error because:
    1- You can't have spaces in an indentifier ("an Integer"?) and
    2- There is no variable called "anInteger".

I probably should actually be putting effort into my independent studies if I want to get into that private school.

Meh, the textbook writers should have put effort into their short answer questions.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:10 pm UTC

I once had a student in my English class who was very creative, talented, and a high-achiever. Most of the time in class, she didn't pay attention due to boredom, but still performed well on tests and assignments. On one occasion, I gave her an 85 on an essay because I thought part of it was lacking in information and analysis. The next assignment I gave was a satirical piece in which students had to sarcastically rant against something that bothers them. She chose the topic of "ungrateful teachers" and there was a specific reference to teachers who give good students 85s. I was amused.
Spoiler:

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Here is a question that was given on a physics test. It's paraphrased because it was give a while ago:
Thelma and Louise drive off of a 100 meter cliff at a speed of 20 meters per second, how far away from the edge of the cliff will Thelma and Louise collide with the ground and die (What, you thought that gravity ends when the ending credits roll? That's not how it goes, gravity keeps pulling you down at 9.8 m/s^2 until you hit the ground, and in this case, your untimely death.)?

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

Nice topic idea!

Here's a funny one I got while grading tests:

Question: The masses of gray matter in the brain that inhibit unnecessary movements are ___________.

Answer: "not present in C huck N orris's brain because C huck N orris has no unnecessary movements."

Forgive the spaces, the cheesegraters are doing something weird.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:01 am UTC

Cheesegraters grate cheese, as they always have. Nothing to do with Chuck Norris at all. :-P
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Tiem

Postby Tiem » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:57 am UTC

There was a boy who sat next to me in elementary school, and one day we had to do standardized testing. He was mainly just filling out random bubbles and making the circles on the scantron spell out words and make pictures. Then, for an extended response question about the moral of a pretty stupid short story, he put down "The moral of the story is that on the outside, you can be quiet, but on the inside, you're loud, like a fucking Metallica concert." I have no idea what the actual story was about, but I hope to god it had something to do with his response.
To do list:

-kidnap Randall
-take his hands
-hire Eames from Inception
-make nachos

nash1429

Postby nash1429 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:39 am UTC

My extremely epic pre-calc teacher has decided (rightly) that ellipses with horizontal major axes centered on the origin look like footballs, and being the most diehard Notre Dame fan on the planet, requires all of his students to label the quadrants ND#1. Supposedly, someone once put ND#_ (the teams actual and somewhat embarrassing rank) and failed the test.

Return to “School”