Suspected Plagiarism?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

KestralTweet

Suspected Plagiarism?

Postby KestralTweet » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:59 pm UTC

In school, I have a reputation among my teachers that when I turned in typed work, it generally doesn't sound like it's from a normal student of my grade. (Because I don't type like an idiot)

A few days ago I learned that I had to type an assignment that I wrote, and I'm typing it up now, and I googled a few lines of it and found that the answer key for the answer sheet this was to keeps appearing it.

I didn't plagiarize, this is all accidental, and I don't feel that I should revise it because I can't find a way to word any differently. If I get accused of copying off of the Answer Key by the teacher, who doesn't know what I type like, what should I do?

Note: School for me doesn't start until next week.

Glmclain

Re: Suspected Plagiarism?

Postby Glmclain » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:46 pm UTC

I'd just change your paper, if you're as good at writing as you claim you are (I'm not doubting you) it should only take a little while.

It's wise to stay as far away from plagiarism as you can, because even if you didn't do it, it can ruin you.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

One of my friends was in an almost identical situation a while back, he got in big trouble and it took him about a year of talking to one of the assistant headmasters to get it overturned (not that that really did anything, he just got the satisfaction of knowing he'd won). It's a lot less hassle to change your assignment even if there isn't an obvious rewording.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

cv4

Postby cv4 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:10 pm UTC

You are so awesome at writing. We all think you are great.

This was the reply you were really hoping for, right?

nash1429

Postby nash1429 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:01 am UTC

There are certain websites that use internet searches to determine the likelihood that something was plagiarized (I don't put much stock in them, but they seem o work reasonably well). The only one I can think of is turnitin.com, which requires a subscription from your school. You could use one of those to try to improve your case, or provide other samples of your writing if an issue comes up. If you are still worried about it and don't want to re-word anything (this is usually a fairly involved process if you want to make your paper significantly different from the answer key while preserving the quality of the writing) you might try adding spelling and grammar errors.

Sharkie

Postby Sharkie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:54 am UTC

What’s the assignment exactly? When you say “answer key” that makes me think you’re answering a list of simple questions that require short answers (a few sentences or less). If it’s just simple questions that only need short answers, everyone’s going to end up using similar phrasing to the answer key.

KestralTweet

Postby KestralTweet » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

cv4 wrote:You are so awesome at writing. We all think you are great.

This was the reply you were really hoping for, right?

No, it isn't. I'm expecting genuine help.

Sharkie wrote:What’s the assignment exactly? When you say “answer key” that makes me think you’re answering a list of simple questions that require short answers (a few sentences or less). If it’s just simple questions that only need short answers, everyone’s going to end up using similar phrasing to the answer key.

It was a Viewing Guide for some documentary we had to watch. The answers I wrote went up to at least short paragraphs. (Most of the time)

I guess I might've been making a big deal out of it. There wasn't as nearly much matches as I noticed, and the similarities a friend noticed shouldn't lead to plagiarism.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

Cite for any sources you use, then you can't be accused of plagiarising anything.

Also, you do type like an idiot, in that you've made several mistakes in just the few lines you've posted in this thread. In particular, the second sentence of your first post is unreadable. But your typing skills aren't what tick people off. It's your denigration of others as a means to demonstrating your own superiority. It's unjustified, and it's offensive. Indeed, if you can't word your answers any differently to whatever way it is that these other examples are written, what does that say about your language skills? Are you so proud of typing to a middling standard that you don't care that you can't reword even a simple sentence?
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

xkcdfan

Postby xkcdfan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:02 am UTC

I googled a few lines of it and found that the answer key for the answer sheet this was to keeps appearing it.

??????????

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

xkcdfan wrote:
I googled a few lines of it and found that the answer key for the answer sheet this was to keeps appearing it.

??????????

My brain keeps trying to pronounce that, and it's not getting very far.

If you ignore the "it" at the end it makes perfect sense.

Sharkie

Postby Sharkie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:32 pm UTC

KestralTweet wrote:It was a Viewing Guide for some documentary we had to watch. The answers I wrote went up to at least short paragraphs. (Most of the time)
I guess I might've been making a big deal out of it. There wasn't as nearly much matches as I noticed, and the similarities a friend noticed shouldn't lead to plagiarism.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like one of those assignments where you're mostly regurgitating facts from the documentary, so it's not too surprising that the answer key would show up in Google search results. You should stop googling lines of your work though--it's just making you paranoid.

Dream wrote:Also, you do type like an idiot, in that you've made several mistakes in just the few lines you've posted in this thread. In particular, the second sentence of your first post is unreadable. But your typing skills aren't what tick people off. It's your denigration of others as a means to demonstrating your own superiority. It's unjustified, and it's offensive. Indeed, if you can't word your answers any differently to whatever way it is that these other examples are written, what does that say about your language skills? Are you so proud of typing to a middling standard that you don't care that you can't reword even a simple sentence?

He doesn't really type like an idiot (I've seen a lot worse), but I agree that having several grammar mistakes and typos don't exactly demonstrate impressive writing skills.

It's kind of ridiculous that someone could get a reputation for plagiarizing just for handing in work that doesn't seem like it was "typed by an idiot" (though I realize teachers can certainly be ridiculous sometimes). There aren't any other reasons your past teachers have thought you plagiarized?

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:52 pm UTC

Dream wrote:Also, you do type like an idiot, in that you've made several mistakes in just the few lines you've posted in this thread. In particular, the second sentence of your first post is unreadable. But your typing skills aren't what tick people off. It's your denigration of others as a means to demonstrating your own superiority. It's unjustified, and it's offensive. Indeed, if you can't word your answers any differently to whatever way it is that these other examples are written, what does that say about your language skills? Are you so proud of typing to a middling standard that you don't care that you can't reword even a simple sentence?
Not really, if this is for junior high school. It also makes sense. It's only in those places where teachers will get "suspicious" if you type your work. In college/university, you are expected to type all essays and such.

KestralTweet

Postby KestralTweet » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:38 am UTC

I never said I was an expert, and I never said I didn't make mistakes. I think people just took this wrong way, I never intended to impose superiority over people, I'm sorry if I did. I could have written that post better, but I'm pretty sure my initial fears are unfounded now. I don't think the teacher suspects anything, and I did over think this. If there is a problem, I'm sure I can fix it.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:18 am UTC

And, I'm just going to point out, per most university policies, they don't have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you plagiarized for you to get in trouble for plagiarism. So yeah, you're going to want to rewrite that shit.

Return to “School”