Should I take Intro Chem?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

NuclearTide

Should I take Intro Chem?

Postby NuclearTide » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:57 am UTC

I'm an engineering student in my freshman year of college. I haven't declared my engineering specialization yet, but I have taken calculus and physics in high school and I'm ready to choose. However, my advisor wants me to take intro chem (basically AP Chem) next semester because I don't have AP credits for chemistry, and from what I've heard, intro chem is a total waste of time. So should I take intro chem, or is the material something I could learn by watching KhanAcademy videos on YouTube?

ahazaq2

Re: Should I take Intro Chem?

Postby ahazaq2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:22 am UTC

I would imagine it's required for graduation, but if it's not then you've just gotta figure out whether it's going to be important for what you're majoring in. If you're majoring in electrical, then might as well get out of it if you can. If you're majoring in chemical, then you probably don't wanna get out of it.

And intro chem is usually one of those things you can teach yourself if you try, but the key is "if you try." And most people probably won't take the effort.

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:39 am UTC

NuclearTide wrote:I'm an engineering student in my freshman year of college. I haven't declared my engineering specialization yet, but I have taken calculus and physics in high school and I'm ready to choose. However, my advisor wants me to take intro chem (basically AP Chem) next semester because I don't have AP credits for chemistry, and from what I've heard, intro chem is a total waste of time. So should I take intro chem, or is the material something I could learn by watching KhanAcademy videos on YouTube?

Most engineering programs require Gen. Chem. I or equivalent AP credits. Check the curricula for the majors you're interested in, or just trust the adviser whose job it is to know this stuff, rather than a bunch of random yahoos on the internet.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

NuclearTide

Postby NuclearTide » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:31 am UTC

I'm leaning toward EE/CS right now, so chem is irrelevant. It is required though, but it's not something I'd be bothered to self-study. Sucks, I guess I'll have to take chem. Thanks for the advice though!

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:10 pm UTC

I wouldn't waste my time taking Gen Chem I at my university. Take it over a summer school session at a community college, maybe right after your freshman year (when you won't have many options with internships), and save the space in your university schedule.

NuclearTide

Postby NuclearTide » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

My advisor actually suggested taking chem at a community college, maybe I'll do that. Thanks!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

If you can find it offered online from a community college, you would be able to work more at your own pace. Another option might be to study up using whatever free resources you have available (e.g. OCW, youtube) and then challenge the course at your school. Most institutions have this option, or something similar; basically, you claim that you already know the material, they administer a final exam to you, and give you whatever grade you earn on that exam as your grade for the course. You get credit without having to actually take the course. One risk for someone who honestly does know the material is that they won't know how that particular teacher wants questions answered or material presented, and so will come out with less than the grade they probably deserve, based on having given a correct answer which is not the particular correct answer the teacher wanted.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Return to “School”