Procrastination

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Levi

Procrastination

Postby Levi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:39 am UTC

I almost put starting this thread off until tomorrow. :oops:

I've been procrastinating excessively in the past few months and it's been hurting my grades (and probably my future prospects), so much so that I nearly always end up waiting to start my homework until 10pm the day before it's due. So I am now taking as many steps as possible to fix it. In this thread I'll be posting about my progress and using that as part of my attempt to keep myself accountable. This thread is also for procrastination in general: Post your own efforts, advice, resources, etc.

I'm going to be attempting some of the stuff on this page, this (which I think is in one of the Akrasia articles too), and try some operant conditioning. I'll be back tomorrow to post my exact strategies in more detail. I'm not procrastinating, I have to go to bed :P

KingXimana

Re: Procrastination

Postby KingXimana » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

Better then me, Currently in high school and I cant say i have ever done homework.... well since grade 3. That teacher gave soooo much homework (like as much as i should be doing now) so i dont do it anymore... sneaking by school with pure B's lol

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:35 am UTC

Posting to say that I did get started, but I again do not have time to post details. I really hope I don't procrastinate may way out of anti-procrastination :?

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:33 am UTC

There has been plenty of talk about procrastination and motivation before, if you wanted some ideas.

I find that if I really sit down and do the work then I can get it done, it is just getting yourself to sit down :wink: .

katethegreat

Postby katethegreat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:39 am UTC

The worst/best thing for a procrastinator is a lenient teacher. Worst, because it worsens your already bad tendencies. Best, you can turn in an English paper a month late and still get an A... >.>

I have the same problem about starting homework. Luckily, we get relatively little. Even if you procrastinate, the key is to still do your work. You will be miserable, you will hate yourself, but it'll be done. If you have a joke class and/or a study, get as much work done for other classes as possible. I find it easier to work at school than at home. Maybe you could go to the library afterschool for a few hours.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:15 am UTC

katethegreat wrote:I find it easier to work at school than at home.

This is why college is so hard, especially when you live in the same building that you take classes in
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Wodashin

Postby Wodashin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:26 am UTC

This is my curse. Homework is the bane of my existence. I literally cannot bring myself to do it sometimes. I work so hard at school but at home I do no work at all. I really want to, but can't. I feel like a complete idiot. I'm screwed on my Physics test tomorrow because I haven't been keeping up.

Postby 123 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:55 am UTC

I hear ya. I do as much work as I can at school (mostly), but at home, I just do what I know, and that's it. I rarely try to actually do my work. In fact, that's the reason I'm failing French (which I don't really care for).
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that won't stop me from secretly hating you

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:09 am UTC

I have a procrastination problem. I used to try to fight it, which didn't work. Over time, however, I learned to do my best work (all right, I'll be honest, adequate work) under pressure. I've conditioned myself to actually care about stuff, so even if I do procrastinate until it's almost too late, it's not quite too late, and I can usually get work in on time.

It works well enough for me. Perhaps you can learn to do something similar. Good luck.

edit: to clarify, I'm often finishing homework assignments 3 minutes before the deadline.

Bluggo

Postby Bluggo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:45 pm UTC

A few suggestions that are helping me fight procrastination:

- Get enough sleep. Seriously, when it is 10 PM or so, just shut down the damn computer and go to bed: if you are sleep-deprived you will not feel like working, and your work will not be worth crap anyway.

- Keep an hourly diary: split your waking time into 1-hour intervals, and, every day, write down what you did during that hour. It's not that you have to be productive during all your waking time - writing down "had a nice long walk in the park" is more than acceptable, if you feel like it - but the mere action of having to decide what you will do with your next hour will prevent you from wasting your whole afternoon rereading the archive of a webcomic that you don't even like all that much, or doing anything else like that.

- Decide in advance when you will take a break, and how long it will be: 20 minutes of rest every two hours of work seems to work fairly well for me, but feel free to experiment to see what ratio is optimal for you.

Hope this helps!
Mary Ellen Rudin wrote:Let X be a set. Call it Y.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

will prevent you from wasting your whole afternoon rereading the archive of a webcomic that you don't even like all that much, or doing anything else like that.

Guilty. So very guilty.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

I have a huge problem in this area. The sad thing is, i will put off work even when i have nothing else to do. Because of this i have become very good at doing things at the last minute.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

I'm procrastinating on my last-minute studying for an exam I have in 30 minutes!

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Solt

Postby Solt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:50 am UTC

I removed my computer from my room.

Now if I manage to sit down at my desk and get my homework out, it's pretty hard to get distracted.

If I want to use my computer, I have to sit in an uncomfortable chair.

Not a perfect system (as is evident from me posting here) but its helped a lot.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Bluggo

Postby Bluggo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:00 am UTC

Yesterday I spent far too much time playing ToME: OK, no more roguelikes for me until the end of June.
Mary Ellen Rudin wrote:Let X be a set. Call it Y.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

Solt wrote:I removed my computer from my room.

Now if I manage to sit down at my desk and get my homework out, it's pretty hard to get distracted.

If I want to use my computer, I have to sit in an uncomfortable chair.

Not a perfect system (as is evident from me posting here) but its helped a lot.

I wish iTunes had a better shuffle. That way, I could set up my computer and speakers on the other side of the room for me and just hit the next button on my iRemote to skip the songs that suck. Better yet, I could boot Linux and Amarok.

Seriously, my biggest problem is that so many of my assignments need computers and internet.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:16 pm UTC

Waiting until the last second gives pressure.

And work is like carbon.

Low pressure makes graphite, high pressure makes diamonds.

Or something like that...

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:22 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Seriously, my biggest problem is that so many of my assignments need computers and internet.

Me too, thus the uncomfortable chair.

And for me at least, I realized that with a new ink cartridge I could actually print out about half the assignments that I previously "needed" the computer for. Worth the ridiculous price of ink.

Also I started doing all email and some wikipedia research from my smart phone, which is harder to find distractions on because it's kind of slow.

Finally, I use school computers to do my assignments if possible. Again reduces likelihood of distraction.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

Wodashin

Postby Wodashin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:01 am UTC

Computer + Internet = Procrastination

I tried to open up a page a few hours ago to 'beat procrastination' and I just now skimmed over it and closed it. I sat down, hours ago, to do my essay, which is due tomorrow, and I am now done for.

Ambermutt

Postby Ambermutt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:07 am UTC

I also procrastinate all the time. I can't even type out an essay I've already written because I get distracted by shiny web pages.

The way I get over it is to study or work with other people, even if it's just 2 people in the same room working on entirely different projects.

Another is to study at the library/classroom or other non-personalized space, since these have less distractions and I just don't feel quite at ease in them. Working in a place that's comfortable enough but you don't really like is good if you convince yourself that the only way to leave is to finish your work. In the same vein, you could also set up a slowly tipping chair over a crocodile tank.

I act all expert over here, but right now I'm procrastinating enrolling some courses at college.

Also, have you ever noticed how if you procrastinate by talking/reading about your procrastination problem, at the end you feel as though you accomplished something even though you only read half a Wikipedia article about it and them link-leapt for 45 minutes until you ended up playing Tetris or something?
He has told us of the darkness,
He has shown us deepest night.
The rage inside a burning sun,
The calmness of its light.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

I have problems getting focused on work I need to do. I tend to spend too much time surfing the internet when I could be working on projects.

The thing is, I tend to get high marks in classes anyways (although my Creative Writing class is seeing me at around the high 70's, but I guess that it's a more subjective/difficult course), so this has never been a problem for me.

Still, I fear that if I keep up my cycle, it will come back to haunt me someday, and I don't want that to happen.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Wodashin

Postby Wodashin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:45 am UTC

Oh my God.

I really need help with my procrastination. It will ruin my life. For as long as I've been in school, I've been against the very notion of working at home. It goes against every fiber of my being. I LITERALLY wait last minute. My GPA is still very high, but it's unsustainable. I can't stay like this forever. I need help.

I goofed off for 3 days. I have 5 projects. Due tomorrow.

I am dead.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:57 am UTC

Take a Spike shooter (not all at once, and not whatever the local drug dealers call "spike shooter") and start on your work—make sure you don't distract yourself. The insane amounts of B12 should help you focus.

deskjethp

Postby deskjethp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:39 am UTC

I'm supposed to be doing homework right now that's due in 12 hours. I signed up for these forums right now this minute solely because I need to put off doing my homework... yeah...

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:01 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Seriously, my biggest problem is that so many of my assignments need computers and internet.
I installed the BlockSite addon for my work computer. xkcd is 1 of the sites blocked.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:52 am UTC

I constantly procrastinate, it's resulted in me having a literal pile of vials of brand new compounds... I need to characterise all of them by next week, and rather than do it as I've gone along... I just heaped them into a basket in my fume hood, dreaming of a day in which i'd be happy to aportion of slivers and attach excessively complex forms to each to send upstairs... Somehow it's far worse having a physical indicator of how badly I've procrastinated,
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Return to “School”