SAT Scores

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Pick one!

1550-1600 / 1600
6%
1430-1540 / 1600
16%
1310-1420 / 1600
11%
1190-1300 / 1600
5%
1070-1180 / 1600
1%
0-1060 / 1600
0%
2350-2400 / 2400
6%
2170-2340 / 2400
17%
1990-2160 / 2400
11%
1810-2150 / 2400
7%
1630-1800 / 2400
2%
0-1620 / 2400
1%
We don't have SATs in our country, but I want to see the results anyway...
17%

Total votes: 675

demon

Re: SAT Scores

Postby demon » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

Time to boast a wee bit:
SAT Reasoning:
Critical Reasoning - 780
Math - 780 (no idea why not 800, apparently I didn't mark one answer)
Writing - 640 (frankly, I had no idea there would be any writing involved. Yes, I'm that disorganized usually.)

SAT Subjects:
Math lv 2 - 800 (without a graphing calculator, not that one would help much here)
Physics - 800

I took this on the off chance that I could get into MIT, but since that didn't happen, I just keep them as a trophy of sorts. Oh, and for the record - the SAT felt like a breeze compared to our regular finals - the Matura exam (Polish). You could get up and stretch, even have a drink - not really allowed on our finals, which also last upwards of 3 hours I think. Plus, the SAT Physics was absurdly easy compared to the Extended Physics Matura, which I considered too hard to take (it's pretty much the toughest science exam in Poland, I believe. I suck at Physics, though, so that's my opinion).

Overall, I really liked the exam. It was, well, a fresh experience. Amusingly, I felt like a character from one of those stupid movie dramas about teachers in American High Schools. So - a nice memory.

Mitora

Postby Mitora » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:37 am UTC

All you complainers of 1900 and up feast your eyes upon this.

Best scores out of two tests:

Critical Reading 630
Math 380
Writing 530

I'm fucking proud if it too. That test nearly killed me. I had a few panic attacks, a slight cry and a horrible essay in the first. My math score in the first was the same as this, not buding a big despite months of very hard studying. My reading and writing went up, as my second essay was better and I was less panicked. But I came out of it a lot more confident and happy that I managed to do the second without a major freakout. Sadly the college I got into didnt even give a crap about the writing part. They only care about the math and reading. Thankfully my courses come off as very impressive (I'm a homeschooler so I get to write out personally all of what I've done) and I put together one hell of a portfolio so they didnt care about my math as much. The college I applied to (and just got accepted today!) usually requires placement tests for the students in reading, writing and math but because of my verbal skills they only want to test me in algebra, which is awesome as I can actually understand most of that (geometry is where I start freaking out).

I really just don't do standardized testing well. The pressure on it was built up way too high on me and I just could not take it. I was devestated that all my hard work was for basically nothing when I saw my scores. Now I realize that its just not one of my talents. Luckily the college saw that it was not the only thing that defined me and accepted me anyhow.

This is actually rather hard for me to post, as I'm new here and really want y'all to like me...But I'm trying to get past my emberrasment and help myself to realize that not everyone is going to see a number and say "Wow, she's stupid." I hope you dont anyhow.

Turambar

Postby Turambar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:22 am UTC

Mitora wrote:All you complainers of 1900 and up feast your eyes upon this.

Best scores out of two tests:

Critical Reading 630
Math 380
Writing 530

I'm fucking proud if it too. That test nearly killed me. I had a few panic attacks, a slight cry and a horrible essay in the first. My math score in the first was the same as this, not buding a big despite months of very hard studying. My reading and writing went up, as my second essay was better and I was less panicked. But I came out of it a lot more confident and happy that I managed to do the second without a major freakout. Sadly the college I got into didnt even give a crap about the writing part. They only care about the math and reading. Thankfully my courses come off as very impressive (I'm a homeschooler so I get to write out personally all of what I've done) and I put together one hell of a portfolio so they didnt care about my math as much. The college I applied to (and just got accepted today!) usually requires placement tests for the students in reading, writing and math but because of my verbal skills they only want to test me in algebra, which is awesome as I can actually understand most of that (geometry is where I start freaking out).

I really just don't do standardized testing well. The pressure on it was built up way too high on me and I just could not take it. I was devestated that all my hard work was for basically nothing when I saw my scores. Now I realize that its just not one of my talents. Luckily the college saw that it was not the only thing that defined me and accepted me anyhow.

This is actually rather hard for me to post, as I'm new here and really want y'all to like me...But I'm trying to get past my emberrasment and help myself to realize that not everyone is going to see a number and say "Wow, she's stupid." I hope you dont anyhow.

Yay for homeschooling! I wasn't, but I sometimes wish I had been, when I think of how much time I wasted in classrooms when I could have been playing ultimate frisbee. And don't worry about the test scores. As long as you're into a college you like, that's what matters.

My tactic for beating test anxiety is to spend a minute or two silently browbeating the test, talking down to it and making it know how utterly inferior to me it is. Once I've convinced the test that it's afraid of me, I can't very well lose face and get worried about it. Also, I take all tests barefoot. Those strategies seem to work.

Standardized tests happen to be something I'm good at. However, now that I'm in college, it's pretty much a useless skill. I wish my standardized-test-talent was singing talent instead. I guess I'll take the grad school exams, though, so it'll come in handy once more.

Another thing: IB exams are way harder than the stupid SATs. The SATs have way too many trick questions, and the IB exams actually test your working knowledge-- how well you can think through problems and such.

Anyhoo, my scores:
SAT I
Reading 800
Writing 730
Math 720

SAT II
Physics 800
Math II 750

Weird that I did better on the math II than on the regular math... I was probably marginally less bored.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it."
--Richard Feynman

Enderb

Postby Enderb » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Thanks for that now I really feel like an idiot,

600, 610, 620.

Granted I'll be retaking but come on! I'm barely hanging on as it is.

The_Truth
Location: At your local Panera's eating a bacon turkey bravo.

Postby The_Truth » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

To me this was a very long and boring test, but it's something to talk about at least :D

7th Grade ::

Math - 790 (so close!)
English/Verbal - 560 (be quiet -.-)

Current (9th grade) ::

Math - 800 (there we go!)
English/Verbal - 660 (marginally better)

I'm going to study up in english, see if I can't get myself another 800 when I take it next year :P
I can has a cookie?

ST47

Postby ST47 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:11 am UTC

I took chem and math II last week, still waiting on those results, supposed to be the 26th. Got an 770/700/730 on Math/CR/Writing respectively.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

I got a 660 verbal, 720 math, and decided that was good enough because I really didn't feel like sitting through it again. I beat my brother by 20 points and that's all I really cared about. I also got a 780 on the writing subject test, and was mad the next year when they made that a real part of the test.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Mensch

Postby Mensch » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

I got 620 on critical reading, 520 on math and 550 in the writing section (ESSAYADHGHAARDJFJD)

And when I tried to go home after taking the damned thing I found got stranded for four hours because of the Saint Patricks day parade, which I will never ever remember the date of. Retaking if I learn a lick of maths this Summer, crying in the meantime.

Mr. Knowitall

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:39 am UTC

I'm damn happy with my grade. 750 on reading, 750 on math, and 730 on writing. I have a friend who got 2300, but thinks that his test was graded wrong and is appealing for it to be regraded, so he can get an extra 30 points. Another friend got 2340 her first time, was disappointed, and got 2380 her second time. My friends are way too obsessive over this stuff.

setris

Postby setris » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

Took the SAT's in December, and got 790 Verbal, 740 Math, and 720 Writing. Put me at the top of my class for most of the year, until someone finally got a combined score higher than mine after his third shot.

Took the SAT II's in May (I knew I would forget all my AP stuff by June), and got 760 in U.S. History, 710 in Chemistry, and 680 on Math Level II. Good enough for me.

And I took the regular SAT's again in June (our councilor likes us to take them twice, so I just went and worked on my math sections), and the scores come back this Thursday.
IN SANE WE TRUST

I'm not a democrat or a republican,
I'm just right no matter what.

Why Two Kay

Postby Why Two Kay » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

750 Reading
800 Math
740 Writing (11 on essay)

2290 total; not as good as I had expected. But I can't really complain.
tl;dr - I said nothing important.

Sirry

Postby Sirry » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:28 am UTC

CR: 800, Math: 780 Writing: 780

I would have won quite a bit of money if I'd aced CR and Math... I blame my nose bleeding during a math section.
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win.
-R.A.H.

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:59 am UTC

I'm in year 12 and halfway through my final year of the International Baccalaureate (2 years). You get a grade out of 7 points for each of your six classes and a possible extra 3 points if you do well in your assessments for Theory of Knowledge (compulsory).
At the time of my last report I had a predicted score of 29 out of 45 :( that's so bad
Though I'll probably get one extra point for my awesome ToK presentation and another if I do well on the up coming essay.

I've gotten to the point where I'm really over school and I find it difficult to motivate myself.

razor

Postby razor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

The whole junior class at my high school took the ACTs. The school actually paid for the test. I haven't used the scores for anything though. I'm at a community college where you don't really need any education background. I did horrible in high school but barely managed to graduate. Now I'm working on a Computer Science major.
"He who remembers much about things that matter not."

Bullislander05

Postby Bullislander05 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

I just finished up my junior year and took the SAT for the second time in June. I didn't do half bad, although I was hoping for a higher score in reading.

First time:

690 v
800 m
680 w

Second time:

690 v (The same. T.T)
720 m (I didn't bring my calculator, even though I really didn't need it. I probably missed a few easy ones that a quick punch in to check in the calc would have made easy. I got an 800 on the math level 2 subject test, so that's fine)
780 w (woo)

That all gives me a total score of 2270, which is fine for me.

Oh, and my subject tests:

800 math level 2
730 physics (in my defense, I was taking the AP Physics C course that cared only about newtonian physics and a little bit of thermodynamics. I found out the subject test covered electricity, quantum mechanics, etc... about a week before the test. I got a review book, and admittedly the stuff seemed like 8th grade science to me, and this was the best I could do)
700 US History -- I hate history.

I'm trying to decide if I should give the SAT one more shot before I apply to college to see if I can raise my reading score or not. Any suggestions?

Oort

Postby Oort » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

What's better: A 2130 on the SAT, or a 33 on the composite ACT score? Which (assuming I don't retake them) is better to use when applying to colleges?

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

Go here and scroll down to the equivalency charts. Those scores (2130 vs. 33) appear to be almost the same, so I'd suggest submitting whichever seems to be preferred at that school, or both.

I wish my SAT score had been as righteous as my ACT score... I got a 35 :D
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Oort

Postby Oort » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:36 am UTC

Thanks. Curses, beaten by two points...

razor

Postby razor » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:31 am UTC

I only got a 20 on the ACT. The math section killed me.
"He who remembers much about things that matter not."

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:49 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:Go here and scroll down to the equivalency charts. Those scores (2130 vs. 33) appear to be almost the same, so I'd suggest submitting whichever seems to be preferred at that school, or both.

That article is fascinating. I'm especially intrigued by the chart titled "Mean SAT Scores by Year." Reading gone down and math gone up, wow, what's changed?
Raise up the torch and light the way.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:55 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:
kellsbells wrote:Go here and scroll down to the equivalency charts. Those scores (2130 vs. 33) appear to be almost the same, so I'd suggest submitting whichever seems to be preferred at that school, or both.

That article is fascinating. I'm especially intrigued by the chart titled "Mean SAT Scores by Year." Reading gone down and math gone up, wow, what's changed?

I was fascinated by that too. It's so strange to think that these days teenagers in the US are, on average, better at the math section than the reading, while it used to be just the opposite. Has there been some subtle cultural reversal since the early 1900s? Has math come into style while English-type stuff has fallen out of favor? Actually, given my school experience, that seems quite true. I like both, but I always do much worse on the math section than I do on the others... I just can't think straight under the time crunch in math.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:28 am UTC

Or it could be that the math standards have grown lax, or the reading portion made more difficult.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

RabidDracoMukluk

Postby RabidDracoMukluk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Math: 760
Reading: 800
Writing: 740

I don't really know if I should take the test again... I mean, I'm only 100 points off so it should be easy to improve, but I'm only 100 points off, so who cares?

MrRubix

Postby MrRubix » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

800 Math
790 Verbal
800 Writing
800 Math IIC
800 Physics
EDIT: Mind you these were taken in 2004 I believe -- before the new SAT was introduced.

Oh-so-close

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

Math 650
English 690
Total, 1340.

Not bad eh?
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Latentsage

Postby Latentsage » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:00 am UTC

Reading: 740
Writing: 680
Math: 770
Total: 2190 for those of you who don't wish to add the three

Not that good, I know. I didn't study at all, and a lot of the english problems have multiple true answers. Also, the essay is rigged. I'm just worried about my scores being good enough to get into HMC.

The math is far too easy. I literally had a problem that was essentially: x+y=11, what is x if y is 6.

kbupz

Postby kbupz » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:10 am UTC

SAT I:
770 Math
690 Verbal

SAT II:
Math IIC: 800
Physics: 780
Writing: 770

GRE:
800 Math
620 Verbal (stupid words)
Forget what I got on writing

sesquipedalian

Postby sesquipedalian » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

critical reading: 760
writing: 710... which pissed me off...
math: *cough*620*cough* and i was relieved to even get that high.

total 2090. :-/ (I really wanted 2200. oh well...)

souris

Postby souris » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:16 am UTC

Awesome! Looks like I'm the dumbest one here. (Eh, I should be used to that by now, since I'm usually the dumbest one everywhere, yet somehow ... I'm not.)

Verbal: 780
Math: 420 (heh, heh)
Last edited by souris on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Art is meant to disturb. Science reassures.
— Georges Braque (1882—1963), French artist (Illustrated Notebooks)

rutebega

Re:

Postby rutebega » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:00 am UTC

I used to be in the 97th percentile but fell to the 90th. =[

MegaChirops
Location: 4.3 miles from where I wish I was. Most of the time.

Postby MegaChirops » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

Slightly too lazy to take the SAT ... but I made a 31, first try, on the ACT ... never took it again...

Anyway, converted to the new SAT that's about a 2100.

Yay.
Caveat emptor.

I have a reason. It is... just not valid...

Durin

Postby Durin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:30 am UTC

I got a 195 on my PSAT this year (Damn writing section!) and I'm taking the SAT in a couple weeks. I'll start studying soon. I'll likely retake it in June, and take my subject tests at the start of next year (Physics and Math)

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

780 Math
600 Reading
530 Writing
31 ACT
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

chewey

Postby chewey » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

Durin wrote:I got a 195 on my PSAT this year (Damn writing section!) and I'm taking the SAT in a couple weeks. I'll start studying soon. I'll likely retake it in June, and take my subject tests at the start of next year (Physics and Math)

damn, i only got a 194 on the PSAT. but yea otherwise got a 32 on the act and too lazy to take the sat. plus schools round here dont really care bout the SAT

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

I put down my score out of 1600 which was 1360, however, I was one of the first to take 2400, so it wasn't even be looked at yet by colleges. Out of 2400 I got 2000.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Delass

Postby Delass » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

Critical Reading 720
Math 630
Writing 660

I finally got my subject test scores back, after taking them in December.

Biology E 620
Literature 650

So, I know the 2010 is decent, but I think my subject tests were lacking a little. It was a pretty bad test day for me.

Anyway, the pickle im in is whether or not I should send the subject scores to colleges. Iv applied to two colleges, one which iv already gotten into, but its a small state university of new york. The other Iv applied to is University of Southern California and I dont know if the subject test scores will help or hurt. So, does anyone have any advice?
Oh, and there wouldnt be any reason to send them to new york, right?

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:16 am UTC

holy necromice, batman!

(1580/1600 old sat, 1600/1600 gre :D)

qinwamascot

Postby qinwamascot » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

Math: 800
Writing: 800
CR: 780

I almost got a perfect score, but it was ruined by the stupid critical reading section.
Quiznos>Subway

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

qinwamascot wrote:Math: 800
Writing: 800
CR: 780

I almost got a perfect score, but it was ruined by the stupid critical reading section.

Just when I though my SAT was pretty good...

Critical Reading 750
Math 660
Writing 650

2090/2400 or 1410/1600
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

Velict

Postby Velict » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

Just got my scores for my first attempt at the SAT.

Critical Reading 750
Math 650
Writing 720

Disappointingly low, but I knew mathematics would kill me.

Return to “School”