Getting the attention of registration staff?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Cups of Gold

Getting the attention of registration staff?

Postby Cups of Gold » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:44 pm UTC

I have been admitted to a university as a transfer student and have some questions about how much transfer credit I will be able to get for some previous coursework.

The trouble is that trying to get anyone on the staff to answer my questions has been a frustrating experience. Each time I call the school, I am referred to a guidance counselor, which I have found out really means "a guidance counselor's message machine." So far I have left messages with two different counselors, including my reason for calling and contact info, called the registration office two or three other times in the past couple weeks, and sent an e-mail (from my new university e-mail address) as well. No answer of any kind has been forthcoming.

Those of you who have experience dealing with educational bureaucracies, or working in them: since I have clearly failed to get anyone's attention so far, is there something else I could do to make a reply more likely? Or is the key just persistence?

Puppyclaws

Re: Getting the attention of registration staff?

Postby Puppyclaws » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 am UTC

If at all possible, go in person. And go prepared, with your transcript, a list of questions, etc. so that you are sure you are going to get everything answered. I have found that trying to resolve anything with a college / university over the phone (or email in about 50% of cases) is a complete waste of time. Just show up and state what you are there for and that you want to talk to a counselor about it.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:24 pm UTC

Cups of Gold wrote:Those of you who have experience dealing with educational bureaucracies, or working in them: since I have clearly failed to get anyone's attention so far, is there something else I could do to make a reply more likely? Or is the key just persistence?

I've been on both sides of this and persistence is definitely key. It can be much easier to get help in person as Puppyclaws suggested, since someone should be staffing the office at any given time. Better to call or walk in during the morning than the afternoon, and lunchtime is the worst.

When you leave messages with different counselors, it would be helpful to mention the other messages you've left and identify the counselor. "As in the message I left on Suchaday with Soandso..." It will be potentially less annoying for the counselors if they know who you've contacted already, and can avoid duplicating each other's work. (Of course, if they are not very professional, they may just decide to let someone else deal with it and ignore you. Which is one reason you get a list of every counselor and call a new one every few days.)
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

As the others have said, persist.

Also, if you have email addresses for folks. Email them, too. Get a paper trail. The probability of someone fucking something up for you (and consequently you not discovering the mistake until graduation, which happened to me), is fairly high when things are frantic.

Documentation is kryptonite to bureaucratic inefficiency.

Vangor

Postby Vangor » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:20 am UTC

Cups of Gold wrote:I have been admitted to a university as a transfer student

Are you in a college or department under the university? Try there first rather than general admissions if so. Higher likelihood those people know, are accessible, and are willing to help, plus you will become known to them earlier which is beneficial for later issues and concerns.

Cups of Gold wrote:is there something else I could do to make a reply more likely? Or is the key just persistence?

As others have mentioned, persistence is useful as is coming in person, though you will probably wait.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:21 am UTC

Do you know any of the academics? Often a shortcut to the university bureaucracy is to get an academic to pursue your cause, since they'll give it to an office worker who knows how to get your case 'fast tracked' (in uni-speak that means: dealt with at some point).

Return to “School”