How much does university cost in your country?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

rolo91

How much does university cost in your country?

Postby rolo91 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:45 am UTC

I've always heard that the cost of university varies a lot, especially comparing europe with countries outside the EU, and I'm curious about the real differences, and how much of that idea is a myth. I know that this forums are inhabited by people from a lot of countries, so I though it would be interesting to see your personal experiences.

I understand that the cost may vary a lot inside countries, so you are free to either use your own costs as an example or just calculating the average.

(I hope that you don't think asking for monetary cost is rude. If so, sorry for the offense)

As an example, I'll go first:

I study in the lagest public university in my country ("public" meaning state-funded, as I think in some countries public university means a different thing). The cost here varies depending on what you are studying, but it's about 900-1500€ per year, which is 1100-1800 dollars, more or less.

Students who don't have a lot of income can get a scholarship from the state, so you can study for free. The requirements for that are not hard to qualify for, so I'd say about 50% of the students can apply for it. However, you need to pass 80% of the subjects every year, if you want to be eligible the following year.

Also, if your income is even lower (I think that the limit is set in 10.000 €/year), apart from having free education, you get 3.500 € /year extra (about $4400)

More or less, those prizes are similar in the rest of the state-funded universities around the country. There are private univesities too, of course, and they are, in general, much more expensive. They will typically ask for about 1000-2000€ /month. However, they are not considered to offer a better education. In fact, the general opinion is that they have lower standarts, getting a degree there is much easier, and their students are mainly people who couldn't get marks high enough to enter a public university, but had families rich enough to "buy" them a degree. So, normally nobody wants to go to a private university unless it's the only option left.

I think that's all. How are things like in your country?

Blackdomino

Re: How much does university cost in your country?

Postby Blackdomino » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:24 am UTC

In Australia
For international students university here is about $30000 a year
For locals it depends on which course you do. Courses are group into 4 levels of fees based supposedly on future potential income. Band 1 is $5600-ish and includes arts and humanities plus nursing and teaching. Band 2 is $8000-ish and includes engineering and computer science. Band 3 is $9000-ish and includes law,medicine,veterinary and economics. Maths and science get a small discount at $4000 currently to encourage enrolment as there is a shortage of these.
We don't have to pay out university fees back until we start working and earn more than $50000. It is taken as a percentage of your tax. You don't really notice the difference but it takes ages to pay back. Took me 8 years to pay it off.
Other education not at university, more technical training is run out of the TAFE system and costs a couple of thousand a year usually.
"It's not that I condone fascism, or any 'ism' for that matter. ' Isms' in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in any 'ism' they should believe in themselves." - Ferris Bueller

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:14 am UTC

UK here.

For almost all courses now, the nominal fees are £9000/year (this is just for tuition, you can claim a loan of ~ £3000/year (depending on household income) to cover living costs and this ends up being lumped in with your main fees loan for repayment purposes).

You only start repaying your student loan once you earn more than £21000/year, and once you are, it's charged along with taxes in the same way.

After 30 years (I think, I can't remember the exact number and it's not obvious on the student finance website), the loan gets written off.

The thing is, modelling by the university of Southampton (no-one's quite sure because this is going to be the first year on the new fee structure) shows that very few students (other than those reading law or some form of medicine really) will earn enough to pay the entire loan off. As such, the nominal fees are pretty meaningless and so are any scholarships or bursaries other than those which give a cash rebate.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:20 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:UK here.

For almost all courses now, the nominal fees are £9000/year (this is just for tuition, you can claim a loan of ~ £3000/year (depending on household income) to cover living costs and this ends up being lumped in with your main fees loan for repayment purposes).

You only start repaying your student loan once you earn more than £21000/year, and once you are, it's charged along with taxes in the same way.

After 30 years (I think, I can't remember the exact number and it's not obvious on the student finance website), the loan gets written off.

The thing is, modelling by the university of Southampton (no-one's quite sure because this is going to be the first year on the new fee structure) shows that very few students (other than those reading law or some form of medicine really) will earn enough to pay the entire loan off. As such, the nominal fees are pretty meaningless and so are any scholarships or bursaries other than those which give a cash rebate.

under the new fees, the nominal rates for the Open University are now exactly £5000 per year, (£2500 per year part time) I was lucky enough to get in before the new fees, and as such have transitional arrangements until 2017, which means ~£2000 per year (~£1000 part time) however i plan to study loan free, and I'm already earning over £21k so getting a student loan would be foolish anyway.

starslayer

Postby starslayer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

In the US, it varies. However, $10-15k/year in tuition is fairly typical for the highest tier of public universities for in-state residents (the University of California system charges $13,200/year right now, for example). Private universities are more like $30-40k/year in tuition, and the same for out of state/international students at the public universities. Many of the most prestigious universities in the US are private, such as Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, MIT, etc.

There are a variety of programs from both the universities and the government that you can take advantage of to lower or outright eliminate your tuition bill, though. For example, UC covers you completely if your parents make less than $80k/year, and Stanford waives tuition for families making less than $100k/year and pays room and board for students with families making less than $60k/year. This means that unless you are towards the upper end of the middle class or higher, you can often get away without paying a dime depending on the university.

If you get student loans in the US, you can easily get screwed. You must start paying them back as soon as you graduate, no matter your income, and they are not forgiven if you go into bankruptcy. The payments also do not behave like extra money on your taxes - they have flat monthly payments like a car or house loan.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:09 pm UTC

In Norway, it's basically free. There's a fee of something like 50 bucks each semester, but that's it. Most students also get a student loan each month, half of which gets turned into a stipendium if you pass all of your exams.

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:43 am UTC

Seeing as the US was covered I'm going to touch on the other country I know, Hungary. Basically there you get 5 years of tertiary education free regardless of what it is (so it can be undergrad/grad, switching programs, etc) and after that you have to pay the equivalent of a few thousand dollars a semester (a lot more than most can afford). What instead is far harder about there is getting in in the first place, as there are not enough spots to go around for university even for the less popular programs.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:56 am UTC

Andromeda321 wrote:Seeing as the US was covered I'm going to touch on the other country I know, Hungary. Basically there you get 5 years of tertiary education free regardless of what it is (so it can be undergrad/grad, switching programs, etc) and after that you have to pay the equivalent of a few thousand dollars a semester (a lot more than most can afford). What instead is far harder about there is getting in in the first place, as there are not enough spots to go around for university even for the less popular programs.

I guess that's a good way of making sure Hungary's universities are full of smart people and not just rich people.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:21 pm UTC

In the Netherlands we have a fixed fee of about € 1800 a year. If your study time gets delayed more than a year, you have to pay an additional fine of € 3000 a year (the university you're studying at has to pay that fine as well). Also, if you decide to pick another study after completing your first you have to pay the entire institution fee, which might be anywhere from € 7000 (if you chose a idealistic institute) a year to € 15000 a year. The latter two rules are quite new, however; they were introduced by our last government as (rather brainless) budget cuts. Hopefully they will be reversed sometime soon.

The government is paying a modest scholarship, which covers only half of the study fee (this scholarship is likely to be replaced by a loan though, possibly as an alternative to the brainless budget cuts mentioned above). If you live in a dorm you get more money, but not enough to pay the rent. You also get a 40% reduction on public transit. Depending on the income of your parents, there is an additional "prestation scholarship" which (together with the basic scholarship) at best just covers the study fee, the rent and one of your books. For the rest (i.e. food, more books, the remaining 60% of public transit) you have to beg your parents for more money, work, take an additional loan or a combination of those.

To be fair though, the loan is quite nice. You can pay it back to income, and if you didn't pay back everything after 20 years or so the rest of the debt is absolved.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:32 am UTC

It's worth pointing out that the 9000GBP paid for English universities is the cap only for domestic students. For international students the fees were about double that, at my university.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

starslayer wrote:There are a variety of programs from both the universities and the government that you can take advantage of to lower or outright eliminate your tuition bill, though. For example, UC covers you completely if your parents make less than $80k/year ...

Not completely. The program you're referring to (blue & gold opportunity plan) covers resident tuition and system-wide fees. Campus-specific fees are not covered, even if every UC campus charges that fee (i.e., registration fee). Campus health insurance is not covered. Books and supplies are not covered.

At UC Davis, this amounts to about $3,000/year in fees charged by the university to students whose families make under $80,000/year. If you can waive the campus health insurance, those fees are reduced by about $1,400/year. Students are also responsible for their own room and board, whether living on-campus or off-campus. Books and supplies are estimated to cost $1,600/year though it varies with course load and curriculum, and you can save money by not buying brand new textbooks from the campus bookstore. I live off-campus and my transportation costs are estimated (by the university) to be about $1,400/year which, in my case, is fairly accurate.

Another wrinkle in blue & gold is that it guarantees these basic costs will be met by gift aid of some sort, not that the university itself will cover them. What that means is that people receiving federal Pell grants don't get to use their Pell grant for the extra costs; instead the Pell grant is considered to be part of the funds that fulfill the blue & gold guarantee.

All things considered, the University of California is very affordable for low-income students, especially when you consider that it's easily the most prestigious state university system in the country. It's less affordable for students outside of the blue & gold range, but still far cheaper than nearly any private school.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

Yeah, also, just jumping in about the private uni fees here in the US, for my school, tuition and fees are estimated at around $40,000, but room and board is another $10,000, and a year is estimated to realistically cost upward of $55,000 with no remissions.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:16 am UTC

Andromeda321 wrote:Seeing as the US was covered I'm going to touch on the other country I know, Hungary. Basically there you get 5 years of tertiary education free regardless of what it is (so it can be undergrad/grad, switching programs, etc) and after that you have to pay the equivalent of a few thousand dollars a semester (a lot more than most can afford). What instead is far harder about there is getting in in the first place, as there are not enough spots to go around for university even for the less popular programs.

I guess that's a good way of making sure Hungary's universities are full of smart people and not just rich people.

Well yes, it's a throwback to the system under the communist days when you were also given points based on your parents' occupation as a messed up affirmative action (so my mother whose father was a bookkeeper was never going to have a chance in hell of studying, say, history even though she really liked it). And is one of the reasons as a result that Hungary tends to crank out a disproportionate number of engineers and scientists btw, in a bit of a messed up situation it was easier to get into those programs than it was into the "easy" stuff for many bright students!

There are of course other issues with the system that aren't inherently obvious just in the question of cost/admissions, and one is the Hungarian system is just awful when it comes to flexibility. For example my cousin who's now scraping up money for her M.S. because she burned through her 5 years already started in pharmacy and switched to forestry a year or two in... and nothing transferred, even her basic chemistry classes and what not, she had to start from scratch. And based on how often my friends in undergrad switched around in their undergrad majors, I don't think it's entirely fair to rigidly tell a 17 year old that they must work out what they want to do with the rest of their life or suffer consequences.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:21 am UTC

Here in the Philippines, Our university have a rate of maximum Php 22,000($528) per semester. Most tuition fees among schools here are on the rise though. I think our government is aiming to emulate the US education system (including the K12 system, more income-generating schools and other US stuff.) Normal price range in private schools (this is where most of the people go, It's hard to get in state universities like ours) It's in the range of 40 - 70 thousand Php per year.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

Public universities in Italy cost about 1500€ per year on average (more or less 2000 US$), but it varies a little depending on the course, presumably basing the price on the required equipment since humanities are cheapest and the most expensive courses are medicine and such. This may depend on each university, but in mine there are discounts up to 50% available for students from low income families. There are also private universities but I don't have much information; I know someone who studies philosophy in one and spends 8000 euros per year and I've heard dentistry in the same school costs more than twice as much IIRC.

some_dude

Postby some_dude » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:45 pm UTC

Here in Denmark university is completely free for all EU/EEA citizens while there's a tuition fee of around €10,000/year for non-EU/EEA citizens. All students who are EU/EEA citizens also get around $1,000/month from the state (called State Educational Grant) during the first 6 years of their university education if they don't live at their parent(s) (otherwise you get around half of that).

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

Canada here.

It varies a bit by province, but typical undergraduate tuition is on the order of $6000 per year, which doesn't include books or accommodation. International fees are much, much higher. There is a needs-based government loans and bursary system in place for low-income students that works... okay. Trade schools/community colleges/technical schools tend to be quite a bit cheaper. Professional schools--law, medicine, business, etc.--tend to be very expensive, but usually the banks will basically give you an unlimited line of credit on the basis that if you make it through, you'll make an income sufficient to pay it back in short order. Tuition for a Masters or PhD outside of these fields tends to be similar to undergraduate, with a few exceptions.

Aodhan

Postby Aodhan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:30 pm UTC

Blackdomino wrote:In Australia
For locals it depends on which course you do. Courses are group into 4 levels of fees based supposedly on future potential income. Band 1 is $5600-ish and includes arts and humanities plus nursing and teaching. Band 2 is $8000-ish and includes engineering and computer science. Band 3 is $9000-ish and includes law,medicine,veterinary and economics. Maths and science get a small discount at $4000 currently to encourage enrolment as there is a shortage of these.
We don't have to pay out university fees back until we start working and earn more than $50000. It is taken as a percentage of your tax. You don't really notice the difference but it takes ages to pay back. Took me 8 years to pay it off.
Other education not at university, more technical training is run out of the TAFE system and costs a couple of thousand a year usually.

As an addition to this, Australian citizens don't need to pay fees for a PhD. Tuition fees for Masters are greater than for Bachelors' degrees (as they are generally not government-supported). For example, an MSc at my current institution costs about $21k a year. A Masters' by research (e.g. MPhil) has no fees for domestic students.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:22 pm UTC

rolo91 wrote:I've always heard that the cost of university varies a lot, especially comparing europe with countries outside the EU, and I'm curious about the real differences, and how much of that idea is a myth. I know that this forums are inhabited by people from a lot of countries, so I though it would be interesting to see your personal experiences.

It varies wildly in the US. So, while I'm going to outline a fairly reasonable cost, it is possible to spend less...or MUCH more.

$250 a credit hour is remarkably common in the US. The reason why? It's the cap for military repayment(and this is much copied elsewhere) for tuition assistance. This is for undergrad degrees, and residents(with exceptions often made for mil). Non-residents or higher degrees tend to increase the cost sharply.

Books tend to be needed for most classes, with an average cost of around $100 per class.

They also tend to ding you in two other areas...recurring yearly fees(such as a technology fee), that are a flat rate, and one time fees such as a enrollment fee or a graduation fee. I'd set aside another coupla grand for these, generally speaking.

It also tends to take about 4 years to get a bachelors degree(some are faster, some are slower. Mean time is probably a bit over 4 years). You're gonna have to live in those times, and summer jobs only bring in so much cash. Room and board varies a lot depending on location, but is usually a substantial expense.

Online colleges can be cheaper...mostly due to accelerated schedules. They are still not exactly cheap, though. It's not uncommon to end up paying $30k to $50k for a bachelors degree even if you're being fairly careful to watch costs. If you are attending a high end school or live in an expensive area, paying several times this is certainly possible.

Catmando

Postby Catmando » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:28 am UTC

I'm currently looking at John Carroll University, which is, per year, $32,130 in tuition, $9,610 in room and board, and $1,050 in fees, for a grand total of $42,790. This is not uncommon for private universities. Of course, practically no one pays the full amount. There are several types of aid in America: federal, state, and institutional grants, as well as school and outside scholarships. Regarding federal grants, I'm eligible for the whole Pell Grant, which is $5,550 this year, and the SEOG, which is $100-4000 (I am expecting the full amount, given my family's financial situation). For state, I am applying for the Ohio College Opportunity Grant, or OCOG, which apparently gives $2,280 per year (again, hoping for full amount). There's also an institutional grant, the JCU Access Initiative, which seems to be partially state-funded and it is willing to cover the entire tuition for me, if I'm eligible (I'm assuming I'm not). There's plenty of outside scholarships, which I'm still looking up, but I haven't decided which to apply to. I'm going to apply to all three of the school's major merit scholarships, if possible, which are $20-22,500, $15-20,000, and $10-15,000. I'm reeeally hoping I land one, but from the looks of it less than 1% of students get one of the three and I'm not exactly exceptional. Finally, there's a few major-specific scholarships from the school, but I don't think I'll be applying for them.

So all in all, still assuming that I don't get the access initiative or the merit scholarships, and that I don't apply for any outside scholarships, and assuming I go only four years, I'll be on the hook for like $30k per year, which is $120,000. Of course I expect to apply for other scholarships if the access initiative doesn't work out, but that's still a pretty huge amount, and 100k doesn't seem that high in America nowadays. And 100k is like the price of a home in my area, so a degree for me is like buying a whole 'nother house and spending four years intensively fixing it up and hoping to sell it for enough that I only have to work till retirement to get by.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

Catmando wrote: And 100k is like the price of a home in my area, so a degree for me is like buying a whole 'nother house and spending four years intensively fixing it up and hoping to sell it for enough that I only have to work till retirement to get by.

That said, it's *still* a good bet to go to school. Almost any degree has an expected life increase in wages higher than the average cost of the degree still...that said, if spend substantially above average on the degree, the payout changes dramatically, and some degrees are worth a LOT more than other degrees.

Also, I envy your home prices. I once paid a third of a mil for a townhouse.

Lastly, it can be done much, much cheaper, if you make that a priority. I think I ran what, $8k in student loans, all told...but I've done things like grabbing classes at local community colleges and transferring them in, pulled some scholarships, etc. It's almost never actually cheap, but the range of costs is extremely wide. It's absolutely worth doing some cost/benefit analysis before your college career to figure out which options are worth pursuing.

Catmando

Postby Catmando » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:57 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Catmando wrote: And 100k is like the price of a home in my area, so a degree for me is like buying a whole 'nother house and spending four years intensively fixing it up and hoping to sell it for enough that I only have to work till retirement to get by.

That said, it's *still* a good bet to go to school. Almost any degree has an expected life increase in wages higher than the average cost of the degree still...that said, if spend substantially above average on the degree, the payout changes dramatically, and some degrees are worth a LOT more than other degrees.

Also, I envy your home prices. I once paid a third of a mil for a townhouse.

Lastly, it can be done much, much cheaper, if you make that a priority. I think I ran what, $8k in student loans, all told...but I've done things like grabbing classes at local community colleges and transferring them in, pulled some scholarships, etc. It's almost never actually cheap, but the range of costs is extremely wide. It's absolutely worth doing some cost/benefit analysis before your college career to figure out which options are worth pursuing.

Nice homes sell for a lot more, it's just my area is particularly shit. And yeah, I could prioritize pricing--I can just go to BGSU, for example, which offers 6k off tuition with my currently GPA and ACT score, and 8k if I get my ACT score up one point. And that's before all the grant money and scholarships I mentioned in my post above... all told, I could probably get well over the entire yearly tuition, which is just $10,393 plus .$5,040 room and board and $3,024 meal plan. But the thing with that place is, I don't want to go there. =/ Chances are I'll be going the private university route, AKA JCU, AKA tens of thousands in debt when I get out. I do agree it will be worth it, but it certainly doesn't seem that way given just a quick perusal of the expenses.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:14 pm UTC

Depends what.
Physics is amongst the cheapest (approx 475 EUR) whilst some other things (architecture, for example) are even more expensive - up to 1500 EUR, I'd say.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:Depends what.
Physics is amongst the cheapest (approx 475 EUR) whilst some other things (architecture, for example) are even more expensive - up to 1500 EUR, I'd say.

That's interesting because physics is a very expensive degree to run. Is it because of differing amounts of government subsidy or that the physics department makes some income of its own in patents do you know?

Also, what country are you from? I may have to move there seeing as my course is costing me £9000/year instead of 475EUR :P
my pronouns are they

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:43 pm UTC

Sorry, forgot to mention it. I'm from Serbia.

The thing here is that physics is VERY unpopular. It seems that the more popular the faculty, the higher the price of enrolment for each year.

The best students get to study for free (that is, those students are funded from Serbia's budget for education or something like that). The number of those who get to study for free also differs. I study Theoretical and Experimental Physics, and basically all of us are studying for free because there's really not much of us. On the other hand, only 20% of the students of Political sciences (which costs 1000EUR/year) students get to study for free.
Thus, somebody who has an average grade 6.00/10.00 can study physics for free, while somebody with an average 8.50/10.00 can't study political sciences for free.

I'd also add that the stuff we do is mainly theoretical. We had some work in the lab, but things there are aged from 30 to 100 years. :lol: Also, our building is very neglected. For example, a piece of the ceiling almost fell on a colleague who was writing something on the blackboard.

I believe you do get much more while paying those 9000 pounds :D

tms

Postby tms » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:56 am UTC

If the government backs a free for all university and especially if its costs aren't kept at a reasonable level, the result is an income transfer from the academically challenged to those who have higher income potential. That's the most obvious downside to me.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

milom

Postby milom » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:32 am UTC

Might not interest a lot of you, but I'm going to try and wrap-up Romania's system, which is rather GP-accessible.

At most of public Universities there are two types of admission.100% state-funded or one that you pay for in full. The yearly tax is set by every faculty inside of every university and is, for most specializations, ~650EUR.
For example, in CS (where I graduated) there were ~400 seats available, 230 state-funded and 170 paid. But after every year the table and distribution was adjusted with the latest ranking, so you could always study better and claim a free-spot next year.

There is also a scholarship for merit (again, the criteria for receiving it was faculty-independent) but in CS it was only 65EUR/month if you were a straight-A student, another one for study (~35EUR/month and you had to have your grade average of about 8.5/10). Both of these were only awarded only if you passed all your exams from your previous semester.
The last scholarship is a social one. If you qualify for it you don't have to pay for your housing in a dorm and you get ~35EUR/month.

It's not much, but on the other hand I feel there are plenty of state-funded seats in our public universities, so I wouldn't call the system the absolute-worst. Even if you have to pay the tax, 650EUR/year should be accessible for most parents. Of course, given the financial state of most people it may be a financial effort, but it's still cheaper than thousands of pounds.

Quick conversion guide
1 EUR = 1.31 USD
1 EUR = 0.81 GBP

Grimgar

Postby Grimgar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:47 am UTC

France here.
I paid 5€ this year for university. That's about 6$, I think. Well, that's only because I have a study grant. I think it usually costs a few hundred euros.

Giallo

Postby Giallo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:05 am UTC

Switzerland here (as you can see on the right --->)
My university costs about 1200 CHF (1300 USD) a year.
"Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft."

SoulChild

Postby SoulChild » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

Belgium here

I payed 400€ per year. This included text books and everything related to school. By far the most expensive thing was the rent every month for my place in the city.

If your family makes lesss than a certain amount per year, you get the school for free pretty much.

There's not much difference in price what direction you go in, I think. Maybe +100€ tops depending on where you go.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:45 am UTC

Blackdomino wrote:In Australia

The situation in terms of cost is similar in New Zealand. $4000-$8000 USD for domestic students depending on your course of study. However domestic students who remain in New Zealand after completing their degree do not pay interest on their student loans, so the real cost is significantly reduced.

Also note scholarships are not a significant source of funding for most NZ University students.

Kevin88

Postby Kevin88 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Tuition fees are currently approx £3400 a year, they will soon be going up to a maximum of £9000 a year and a minimum of £6000 a year. It is more likely to be at the higher end of that range for most Universities.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Fri May 17, 2013 7:37 am UTC

You're UK right?

Tuition fees have been capped at £9000 since the start of this academic year.

There is also no minimum at £6000, in fact, there are some minor incentives to be below the £6000 mark (IIRC those above it need to pass various additional inclusivity criteria). IIRC most universities are charging >£6000 though and a very large proportion of those are charging the full £9000.

The cost is nominal though because of the way repayments work and, it functions more like a tax.
my pronouns are they

Return to “School”