Ex Machina (May Contain Spoilers)

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

MiB24601

Ex Machina (May Contain Spoilers)

Postby MiB24601 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Who else reads this fantastic DC/Wildstorm comic by Brian K. Vaughan and Tony Harris? I love it and I'm ecstatic whenever a new trade comes out. It's about a former super-hero turned mayor of New York and is just great in a way I really can't express well enough.

The comic is completely filled with Vaughn's writing style, which can also be seen in Y: The Last Man, Ultimate X-Men and Runaways. Pop-culture references and obscure science facts are everywhere. I reread an early issue today and just picked up a reference to Edward Witten. The main character is also a former civil engineer, so it's nice to see that engineers are getting the cred that they deserve.

OK, enough sounding like an ad executive and time to get down to nuts and bolts. There are two big mysteries in the book: What happened in 2005 and what is the origin of Hundred's powers? I don't really have a theory but I've love to hear any ideas that other people have.

So, who else is reading this and what do you think is going on?
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Ex Machina (May Contain Spoilers)

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

Re: His Powers - The answer of "It's aliens" works, yet is just too easy of a cop-out for me to accept it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Re: His Powers - The answer of "It's aliens" works, yet is just too easy of a cop-out for me to accept it.

I guess it can still be considered aliens if the origin of the powers is "alternate universe humans," right? I'm just wondering what's going to happen with the "immigrants" Zeller was talking about.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

I kinda stopped reading it somewhere along the line. I get the feeling it probably reads a lot better in trades than singles.

ascendingPig

Postby ascendingPig » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:57 am UTC

Brian K. Vaughan is the only great graphic novelist working in the American Comics Industry (counting only the history superhero genre) who is not actually a Brit in disguise.

Thank you, Mister Vaughan, for fighting the Foreign Invasion.
"Many facts can fill an empty head."
-- Karl Kraus

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”