[T] Twitch Plays Pokemafia - Game Over: It's Quiet Now

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: [T] Twitch Plays Pokemafia - D1-A: Elite Fourked

Postby Vytron » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:10 pm UTC

Lynch Votals:

ConMan (1): just_me
Adam H (1): Madge
Xenomortis (1): ConMan
Mpolo (1): wam
Not voting (11): (WilliamTheConqueror, Diemo, eculc, Y Dyn Eira, Adam H, xenomortis, firesoul31, mpolo, dimochka, kalira)

8 votes to majority lynch.

Political Votals:
Anarchy: 5 (WilliamTheConqueror, Diemo, wam, Adam H, xenomortis)
Democracy: 9 (Madge, firesoul31, mpolo, dimochka, kalira, just_me, Y Dyn Eira, ConMan, eculc)

Assuming a successful lynch, 10 votes will be required to implement democracy at day end.

The PC is currently empty.

Soft deadline is set for 6pm BST, Tuesday 8th April

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:12 pm UTC

MODs, can you please advise which one of these is correct:

1. Per Madge, we get 3 actions of (up to) 3 actions = 9 actions total
2. Per eculc, we get 3 actions total, whether chained or not
3. Per dimochka (!), we get the chain with the most votes, whether made up or 1 or 3 actions, but not two separate chains (as far as i'm concerned, a chain can be made up of 1 item)

So in this example, what gets processed?

deposit madge; release madge; pokedex eculc - 2 votes
deposit conman; release conman - 3 votes
deposit dimochka; pokeflute dimochka; release dimochka - 1 vote
pokeflute eculc - 4 votes
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

wam

Postby wam » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:24 pm UTC

Can we get a deadline extension, it's just that we have had so little content that this is effectively a random lynch?
Come join us playing mafia signup here

kalira

Postby kalira » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:30 pm UTC

Okay someone shoot me. I had a long post I was working on, and then accidentally hit a link in my favorites bar and dug the damn thing out of existence. :x All right, let's see what all I can remember from what I had written. Seriously, I'm going to start writing up my Mafia posts in word processing software, because this is ridiculous.

Madge wrote:Also, I want to add that I think Democracy is the way to go - we'll be guaranteed success, and we can effectively get NINE actions by chaining. (as long as we agree; but at the moment we're kind of just submitting actions and hoping for the best)

So we could do something like:

"Helix: Mpolo ; Pokeflute: Conman ; Flash: Dimochka"

And still have two sets of three actions left over.

Madge, I think you're misreading Democracy here. If I'm reading the OP correctly, it's one chain of up to three actions, not three chains. Which is, of course, not to say that Democracy is a bad option. I voted for it originally because I think it's good for keeping scum at bay somewhat and not allowing them to just throw things out that end up giving their scummates information and night powers.

firesoul -- Did I miss something? You called out Diemo for attempting to PC someone, but I can't see anywhere where he has done so. I only see him having attempted to pokedex dim.

Conman worried me at the beginning of the day by immediately jumping in and throwing out information-giving Red actions. I think this is scummy, or else a bad idea. The only ones who know who else is in their faction that they can trust at the moment are scum, unless there is a mason group of some kind. Potentially throwing around information to individuals and not publically at the moment seems like a problem.

Others have jumped on starting to try to give out Red actions, but at the moment, I think we should concentrate on scumhunting and trying to figure out who to give night actions to, rather than trying to give information to individuals we're not sure if we can trust at this point. While information might help us later, those night actions will probably be more useful, especially if we don't have individuals with those abilities.

Madge, re: your idea of a non-standard jester, I think there might be flavor to suggest someone who has to be released from the PC to achieve their win condition. Also, just to spitball, if the Keeper is present, he might have a night ability to release someone from the PC.

Flavorwise, in my mind, it would make sense for the characters closely associated with performing the Red actions not to be present in game -- so I'm thinking there may be no DigRat/BigDig or Dux (Dig and Cut, respectively). This could be wrong, though.

Ninja'd: I see dim is requesting clarification on the Democracy thing... Probably a good idea at this point.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:37 pm UTC

If I misread the action thing I apologise for possibly distracting everyone. With only 3 actions democracy is looking much less OP though. (I think I got confused because in the real TPP you could democracy vote for quite long chains of actions)

That said I think in the time we've done stuff, we've had, what, one successful action?

flash: kalira

We haven't had a successful flash and I think we need one.

As far as characters being in/out of the game and whatnot, I agree with mpolo, I think that especially with a combination of Misnomer *and* Vytron as mods - both of whom LOVE to subvert expectations - that we can't take anything for granted. Dare I say it, but Lord Helix himself might be an imposter in disguise sent to stray us from the True Path of the Helix.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:47 pm UTC

Sorry for not posting, really busy weekend.

First off: The Helix told me that there are 9 town left. With 14 players, I think the setup could be closer to 9/3/1/1, or 9/4/1, or, I dunno, I haven't played enough mafia games to really know how this works. There isn't a lot of content at this point, though, so I'm not totally solid in any speculation.

The point people have made that Democracy is much more beneficial for town makes a lot of sense, but I'm still not totally sure how it works and I'll wait to vote for anarchy/democracy once we get mod clarification.

Also, is it a good idea at this point to make a roleclaim? I'm town, and my role could be useful for other town if I claim.

Madge wrote:Dare I say it, but Lord Helix himself might be an imposter in disguise sent to stray us from the True Path of the Helix.

That might be plausible, and that makes me a bit nervous. D:
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:MODs, can you please advise which one of these is correct:

1. Per Madge, we get 3 actions of (up to) 3 actions = 9 actions total
2. Per eculc, we get 3 actions total, whether chained or not
3. Per dimochka (!), we get the chain with the most votes, whether made up or 1 or 3 actions, but not two separate chains (as far as i'm concerned, a chain can be made up of 1 item)

So in this example, what gets processed?

deposit madge; release madge; pokedex eculc - 2 votes
deposit conman; release conman - 3 votes
deposit dimochka; pokeflute dimochka; release dimochka - 1 vote
pokeflute eculc - 4 votes

Method 3 is correct. In your example, pokeflute: eculc would be the only action carried out at day end.

wam wrote:Can we get a deadline extension, it's just that we have had so little content that this is effectively a random lynch?
Sorry, this is a turbo - I'm disinclined to grant any extensions except in exceptional circumstances.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:09 pm UTC

Diemo, Xenomortis, Adam H and firesoul31 have been sent modprods.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:43 pm UTC

As far as roleclaiming goes, that depends on how useful the information is to town vs. the likelihood that you're going to be more likely to be attacked by scum if you have any useful ability.

As far as wam's voting for me, there's not a whole lot to say. I'd rather we not waste the lynch on a townie if we can avoid it. Particularly because that townie is me.

I almost just want to claim everything and get it over with, because maybe I can at least get NKed to save us the lynch. As it is now, I'm likely to survive until lynching just because of the uncertainty factor, which favors scum.
Image <-- Evil experiment

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:19 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:As far as roleclaiming goes, that depends on how useful the information is to town vs. the likelihood that you're going to be more likely to be attacked by scum if you have any useful ability.

Okay. I'll hold off for a bit, then, unless something happens where I definitely need to claim.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:40 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:Diemo, Xenomortis, Adam H and firesoul31 have been sent modprods.

We usually slow time down on weekends for a reason. :P

If we want lots of actions, we should probably stick to Anarchy (although this does depend on the success rate of submissions).
However, Democracy can give us an extra lynch; this may or may not be useful, but I don't see it getting used today.

Looking at abilities:

Someone mentioned that scum knowing how many indies there were could be a problem (in reference to Helix); I don't really see why; I don't see how it would change any decisions they make.

Not sure on use of the Pokeflute to be honest. This seems more useful to scum than town (scum can still kill someone who's awake without fear of repercussions).
FOS Madge and Conman for that then.

Pokedex essentially forces a (presumably truthful) claim on someone, so use of this action should be seen the same way as a person demanding another claim.
And since it doesn't give alignment (it's a rolecop action), I don't think it's all that useful to town. Again, scummy.

Rules wrote:Dig: [target] - your target is immune to any subsequent Red actions performed that day

Can this be clarified? Does this protect the target against the night actions caused by the other powers, or does it prevent them from receiving any?
Depending on the answer, this may be a pretty scummy power.

Obviously using the PC is dangerous and I think should only be done under Democracy.

So...
Strength: wam

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:10 pm UTC

here's an idea. can everyone pokedex me?

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:36 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:Strength: wam

Why wam?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:40 pm UTC

Pokedex: dimochka

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:41 pm UTC

Sorry for not posting over the weekend.

Madge wrote:We haven't had a successful flash and I think we need one.

This. If flash is unsuccessful on kalira, then someone make sure to target someone else before deadline. This is the most townie power because it is mostly benign in scum's hands.

dimochka wrote:here's an idea. can everyone pokedex me?

Vote: wam

For voting for a claimed miller who has been active. A lurker lynch is better than a miller lynch - especially with this setup - and you had plenty of lurkers to choose from.

Lots to do today (real-life-april-7th-today, not mafia-game-today). If I catch up with all my other stuff I'll come back to this. If not, sorry.

I have no intention of ever changing my vote from anarchy to democracy. This is twitch plays pokemon, not bureaucratic government plays pokemon.
-Adam

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:42 pm UTC

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:51 pm UTC

while we're waiting,

pokedex: wam

kalira

Postby kalira » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:36 pm UTC

*shrug* Why not? I would like to hear what the cry of the wild dim sounds like. :)

So, at the moment we have a lot of single votes on people, which looks a lot like no lynch going into the final 20ish hours of the day. If what Will said is true, less than 2/3 of us are town, so I'm guessing we don't want to let scum et al get a free pass today (along with this board's general distaste for NL unless in endgame), especially if we aren't sure of what power roles and such exist amongst the players.

As I said in my previous post, ConMan struck some scummy notes with me, but he's at least being active, so I'm willing not to vote to lynch him at the moment unless someone can come up with some more evidence of his scumminess that I have missed thus far. mpolo's miller flavor is confusing to me -- why would we want to (at this point in the game) lynch someone just based on their role name apparently seeming scummy, especially when there are several players who haven't even talked around?

I am most inclined to vote for firesoul at the moment, based on his lurkiness, but also on his jumping all over Diemo for supposedly trying to PC someone. This may have been just a misread on his part, I'm not sure, but it's a little worrisome, especially combined with the fact that he hasn't come back to say anything since. I know that this puts yet another candidate in the one-vote pool, but there's nothing for it. Since Adam has posted, I expect Madge will be changing her vote as she said she would -- I'm curious if she will switch her vote to one of the other lurkers or to someone else who has struck her as scummy.

Vote: firesoul
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:29 pm UTC

Dig causes subsequent Red actions on the target to fail - so in the case of Cut for example, a digged target would not receive the 1-shot power they otherwise would.

Lynch Votals:

ConMan (1): (just_me)
Adam H (1): (Madge)
Xenomortis (1): (ConMan)
Mpolo (1): (wam)
wam (1): (Adam H)
firesoul31 (1): (kalira)
Not voting (8): (WilliamTheConqueror, Diemo, eculc, Y Dyn Eira, xenomortis, firesoul31, mpolo, dimochka)

Political Votals:
Democracy: 9 (Madge, firesoul31, mpolo, dimochka, kalira, just_me, Y Dyn Eira, ConMan, eculc)

Assuming a successful lynch, 10 votes will be required to implement democracy at day end.

Soft deadline is set for 6pm BST, Tuesday 8th April - roughly 18 hours from now.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:39 pm UTC

Sorry guys, I have an application for an award due tomorrow at 2, will get a post up soon. (Hopefully when I get home tonight)
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:15 pm UTC

Well, looks like I didn't get online last night. However, hooray, actual content! And including from Xeno!

Unvote: Xenomortis

And WTC has passed on his knowledge of the Helix. Praise be to the Helix! I guess 9 is about where we mostly thought it would be, although it does rule out a large number of indies or a large scum team + superpowered town set-up. 9/1/1/3 is maybe a bit more likely than 9/1/4? 9/5 would definitely be too heavily in favour of scum in the absence of some game-changingly powerful town roles, 9/1/4 is still a little too much on scum's side for my liking. Still, I guess we'll find out.

And you know, I think I fell under the same misunderstanding Madge did on the workings of democracy. Or I got swayed by her statements. Still, I guess the broad descriptions are Anarchy = lots of actions, no way to control what actions people choose (outside of peer pressure); Democracy = only three actions, but it will be the most popular combination of them. Given that we still haven't seen any other successful action, I am slightly concerned about what the metric is for success under anarchy. While both have their shortcomings, if we don't see a few more actions succeed I'll probably feel better about keeping my vote on democracy. That said, I think we actually need to make sure we're on anarchy once we're down to the last few players, because if it were, for example, 4/3 then a well-timed play by scum before deadline could let them pull off a Deposit/Release combo to score them the win.

kalira asked why misnomer would claim miller and mention his scummy-sounding rolename, and while it's a valid question it's also one we tend not to ask these days. The point is that this early in the game even the smallest scum-tell or slip-up is enough to get a bandwagon on you, and having an apparently anti-town name and coming up as scum on investigations is about as damning as you could want. Hence, whether he's scum or not, we probably don't need to waste investigative abilities on misnomer because we already know that he's likely to come up scum.

kalira also asked why we would target someone like misnomer when there are people who haven't posted, and while there has historically been a "lynch all lurkers" kind of policy, I think these days we tend to assume that the mods will take appropriate action against people who aren't posting, so lynching someone who hasn't posted is just wasting the lynch. Hence, again, why we would be considering a lynch of misnomer.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:36 pm UTC

misnomer is the mod .. ?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:50 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:misnomer is the mod .. ?

Sorry, massive brain fart. Replace misnomer with mpolo where relevant in my previous post.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:58 pm UTC

Oh wow, didn't see wam's vote on mpolo.
dimochka wrote:Why wam?

If I'm looking at a Madge and Conman pair, then a one-shot roleblock in the hands of someone distant isn't going to be too bad.
But mostly I want powers out there, I needed a name, and I hadn't read as much as I should have done.

And why didn't we Pokedex mpolo to verify the miller claim?

The point on Flash is well-made and taken.

Flash: Adam H

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:58 pm UTC

EBWOP:
Of course, Helix just reveals the rolename, not necessarily mechanics...

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:38 am UTC

vote: just_me

Lurkers have been prodded and will likely be dealt with appropriately. Just_me has not contributed anything since his lackluster post earlier.

I'm still slightly in favour of democracy simply because we're guaranteed to get a Flash off as well as a potential second lynch if we ever feel like it will be useful, and can assign the RB/etc powers to the towniest in the meantime.

As far as the usefulness of pokeflute: I'm not sure, I can think of some cases in which it might be useful (don't want to say, but can if you really want me to). However, those circumstances are really only when the pokeflute person is very towny; pokefluting scum would be bad for us.

I also don't like Xeno's use of strength, but it's only a mild dislike. We really don't have much to go on, it's d1 and no results to speak of so I can understand not really putting much thought into targets. (Goodness knows I'm not carefully examining my targets)

Speaking of, I want to get that flash activated since it may be the only investigation we have access to. If anyone's around do you care to start 'sounding off' flashes down the player list?

Flash: Eculc
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:34 am UTC

I can see there being reasons to use Pokeflute too, especially since it would help us know what kind of abilities are in the game even if we can't tie them to specific players. I also don't mind the idea of trying to get Flash to work on *someone*. Cut and Strength are a bit more dangerous to hand out willy-nilly, so I'm definitely not going to drop them on anyone until I have some kind of belief in their towniness.
pollywog wrote:

firesoul31

Re: [T] Twitch Plays Pokemafia - Pregame: confirm your polit

Postby firesoul31 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:35 am UTC

Post keeps gotten eaten, sorry.
Flash: Y Dyn Eira

Kalira:
dimochka wrote:I'm waiting for mod response before i deposit Diemo into the PC (no, I won't release without majority consensus). Carelessly revealing people's roles in a bastardly game without considering the implications of doing so certainly deserves that. And especially if you see the results, which, if alignments are logically derived from rolenames, should place me squarely as town.

My response was to this

I trust mpolo, and find just_me suspicious for accusing Conman for the Helix (which IMHO is much better for town than scum), and we need to tiebreak so
Vote: just_me
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:39 am UTC

Flash: firesoul31

Just "sounding off" flashes down the player list as I proposed earlier. Not sure why firesoul chose Y Dyn Eira but I guess that means we can go up the list from the bottom rather than down it from the top?

Here's the list btw if you don't want to keep opening page 1 of the thread:

1. Eculc
2. Madge
3. Adam H
4. wam
5. mpolo
6. Xenomortis
7. kalira
8. ConMan
9. WilliamTheConqueror
10. Just_me
11. Diemo
12. dimochka
13. firesoul31
14. Y Dyn Eira

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:44 am UTC

Oops I though everyone was doing the person below then for some reason, sorry, sleep-deprived
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:06 am UTC

Eh, it's all good. And I'm happy to continue that movement in the hopes that one of these will get up.

Flash: dimochka
pollywog wrote:

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:33 am UTC

Flash: Diemo

C'mon, mamma needs a new set of...... cops?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:40 am UTC

Flash: just_me

With the huge amount of success we've had getting anything at all to happen in Anarchy, I am feeling pretty comfortable about keeping my vote for Democracy on.

I have no objection to being Pokedexed, since I've already laid my cards on the table. I doubt that I am also the target of a lyncher or something. If people want, I can just reveal my rolename.

Just_me is probably the iffiest looking person at the moment (which means that I'd like to see Flash go to somebody else), but he's already got a burgeoning wagon on him. I just have to make sure that I get on before deadline, which is going to be tight today.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:57 am UTC

flash: WilliamTheConqueror

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:02 am UTC

Having been visited by three ghosts in the night, I have embraced the true spirit of Christmas and also of forum mafia. The deadline is extended by 24 hours. There will be no further extensions.

Lynch Votals:

ConMan (1): (just_me)
Just_me (2): (Madge, firesoul31)
Mpolo (1): (wam)
wam (1): (Adam H)
firesoul31 (1): (kalira)
Not voting (8): (WilliamTheConqueror, Diemo, eculc, Y Dyn Eira, xenomortis, mpolo, dimochka, ConMan)

Political Votals:

Soft deadline is now set for 6pm BST, Wednesday 9th April - roughly 31 hours from now.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:23 am UTC

uhh...can someone explain what the purpose of repeatedly using flash like that is?

Misnomer wrote:The actions Red has at his disposal are as follows:
Flash: [target] - your target receives a 1-shot cop action to be used in the next night phase UNLESS flash is subsequently used on another player (in which case they get the action instead)

Whoever gets flash used on them last will get it. Everyone cycling through the list doesn't help, as I understand it. Helix would be better suited to that, since it looks like it works on each player that it's applied to (or, at least, more than the last player it's applied to)

Of course, in case I'm wrong, I'll just do it anyways.

Flash: ConMan
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:59 am UTC

Flash: Kalira

There's some sort of probabilistic way in which the mods are determining the success/failure of actions. So by cycling through the player list we're giving the action as many chances as we can to "stick".

We could also simply spam one name, but the rules explicitly say that that is very unlikely to work. Not sure if changing the names improves our odds or not, but it's worth a try.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:10 pm UTC

Helix Madge

Feel the more people we can use this on the better.

Adam H wrote:Vote: wam

For voting for a claimed miller who has been active. A lurker lynch is better than a miller lynch - especially with this setup - and you had plenty of lurkers to choose from.

Really, at some point we are going to have to deal with the miller as they can't be indentified. Whereas any form of lurker lynch will just be random and most of the ones I have been part of have been town.

At least we now have 24 hours more. What I don't like is the bandwagon building on Just_me it looks quiet suspicous to me.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:20 pm UTC

wam wrote:Helix Madge

The Helix was talking to wam, but he couldn't quite tell what it was saying. He decided to pass the Helix to Madge.

wam used the Helix on Madge

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:41 pm UTC

There seems to be some kind of hint there in the flavor: perhaps the time of submission determines if we are actually connected to the Helix to get the command in…

Return to “Mafia”