Since there have been a couple of very successful newbie games run by Vytron recently, and I enjoy running newbie games, I'm going to see if there's any interest in this one:
Speed: 5-day days, 2.5-day nights. Weekends count as half time, accommodations made for holidays etc.
- No posting in this thread unless you are playing in it.
- No talking about this game except in this thread or in an appropriately titled spoiler in the discussion thread.
- No player may read discussion spoilers about this game unless they are dead. There are no spoiler reading roles.
- No editing your posts. For any reason. At any time.
- Do not lurk! One post per real-life day is the recommended minimum. (If you're going to be unable to post for any period of time, please let the mod(s) know ahead of time). Consideration will be given for weekends.
- Players lurking excessively will be replaced or, if replacement is not possible, modkilled.
- Any player who is modkilled for rule violations will have their role retconned to ‘Survivor’ meaning they will automatically lose.
- You may post in thread during the day phase but not the night phase. It is night when the mod posts a day-end post (this will not be before the official deadline, but won't be much after it, either), or a hammer vote is cast, in which case it is automatically night, whether or not the mod has made a day-end post. Note that this means you may not post content after a hammer vote.
- You may not post, nor quote directly from, any PM from a mod. Paraphrasing is fine.
- You may not play to lose, or act in a way that is clearly against your win condition.
- You may not use encryption systems in order to communicate privately or circumvent these rules.
- This is a game; it’s meant to be fun. Personal attacks or other offensive behaviour towards other players will not be tolerated.
- In general, days will last for 5 RL days and nights for 2.5 RL days. Weekends will count as half time.
- Adjustments will be made to accommodate holidays, or for other reasons if the mod deems it necessary.
- In-thread deadline announcements from the mod override these rules.
- Requests for extensions will be considered, but you’d better have a good reason. “We need more general discussion,” is not a good reason.
- Deadlines are 'soft', meaning that posting and voting may continue after the deadline until a mod calls night.
- Votes and questions for the mod must be posted in bold and on a new line, like this:
You do NOT have to unvote to change votes, but it makes things easier and will be very much appreciated if you do. You can unvote in bold and on a new line, like this:
- When someone gains a majority of the votes (that is, more than half the number of living players), they are automatically lynched and it becomes night, as above. Posting content after the hammer vote is not allowed, even if the hammer vote was accidental.
- If the deadline is reached and no player has been hammered, then the person with the most votes at the deadline will be lynched.
- If the votals are tied, then random.org will randomly select one of the tied players to be lynched, unless all players are voting solely for the tied players, in which case there will be no lynch.
- You can vote not to lynch anyone by casting a vote for "NL" or “No Lynch”. “No Lynch” will be treated exactly the same as any other player for determining votal results, except that "No Lynch" always wins ties.
- You’re alive until you are hammered in a lynch, or a mod tells you that you're dead, by PM or in thread.
- Once you die, you may no longer post content in this thread. You may post death flavour or a ‘Bah! You killed me,’ post that reveals no information.
- On the other hand, once you are dead you may read the spoilers in the discussion thread.
Private Message rules:
- You must include the mod in any PM you send related to this game.
- You can ask the mod questions by PM (at any time) if you'd rather not ask in thread.
- No PMing other players concerning this game unless your role specifically allows it.
- Any night actions must be sent by PM before the night deadline. If sent as part of a factional chat, please indicate the action in bold on a new line, as with voting. If you don’t do this and I miss your action, tough.
- If everyone with a night action and/or chat is ready to start the next day before the deadline for night is reached, the next day will begin early.
This means that I will tell you what the setup is, honestly, and will answer any questions about the setup the best I can.
The roles for this game shall be determined in the following manner based on this matrix:
Code: Select all
│ Number │ 1 │ 2 │ 3 │
│ 4 │ Town Jailkeeper │ Vanilla Townie │ Mafia Goon │
│ 5 │ Mafia Roleblocker │ Town Cop │ Town Doctor │
│ 6 │ Bulletproof Townie │ Mafia Goon │ Town Tracker │
A number from 1 to 6 will be chosen randomly by random.org and the roles in the row or column corresponding to that number will be selected to be in the game. Following this, Vanilla Townies and Mafia Goons will be added to bring the total number of roles to 7 town and 2 Mafia.
For example, if the number 5 is chosen, the roles will be Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, and 5 Vanilla Townies.
The exact setup that is selected will NOT be revealed.
The Bulletproof ability is one-shot only, and does not protect from lynches.
The Bulletproof ability is reflexive and cannot be Roleblocked.
The Bulletproof Townie will NOT be informed if they are targeted and the protection used up.
The Mafia Roleblocker is able to use the Roleblock ability and perform the Mafia kill on the same night.
The Mafia Roleblock resolves before the Town Jailkeep. This means that if the Roleblocker targets the Jailkeeper, the Jailkeep action will be blocked and fail.
Players will not be informed if they are Roleblocked or Jailkept. However, roles that would normally receive a reported result will instead receive "No Result".
Players will be assigned to roles randomly, and you will receive a role PM explaining your role.
Winning and losing:
- Town win when all Mafia are dead.
- Mafia win either when they have an absolute majority of players (i.e. can control the lynch), or when nothing can prevent this from happening.
- If this is unclear, please ask and I will attempt to clarify further.
- Dead players’ roles will be fully revealed the morning after they die.
Hey, don’t shoot me! I didn’t see nothing, I swear!
Your Role: Vanilla Townie
<name>, you are a Vanilla Townie. During the day you try to protect yourself from the Mafia by voting on who should be lynched. At night, you cower in your bed hoping they don’t come after you.
- You have no special abilities, and have to rely on your wits, your cunning and your vote.
You win when all Mafia are eliminated.
So what’s up, boss? You need me to rub somebody out?
Your Role: Mafia Goon
<name>, you are a Mafia goon. During the day you pretend to be a law-abiding townie, but at night you gather with <player> to plot and plan your takeover of the town.
- Mafia Chat - During the night phases (only) you may communicate with <player> via PMs. Please include me in all PMs.
- Mafia Kill - Once per night you may choose a hapless townie to shoot. Whoever submits the kill, by posting Kill: [Target] bolded on a new line in the chat, will carry it out.
You win when you have an absolute majority of living players, or when nothing can prevent that from happening.
Notes for Newbies
First, you may wish to familiarise yourselves, if you’re not already, with the somewhat esoteric jargon and multifarious abbreviations used. You can see many fine examples of these at the Rules and Noob Guide. thread.
Then, in the interests of politeness to your fellow players of the game, you may wish to visit the Gender pronouns for our players! thread. You may, in fact, care to add your own preferences to the list.
More in depth articles about the origins, history, strategy, etc. of our great game can be found at Mafia Scum as well as at other locations in cyberspace that should be revealed to you by the search engine of your choice.
Please feel free to ask me questions at any point, either in-thread or by PM. The experienced players will also be willing to help out (Experienced players: this is not a suggestion)
Most of all, have fun
The original run I did can be found here.
username5243- Lynched D1, Town Jailkeeper
adnapemit- Killed N2, Vanilla Town Echo244- Lynched D2, Vanilla Town faubiguy- Lynched D3, Vanilla Town
moody7277- Killed N1, Vanilla Town