Secret Santa 2016 - D5 - Happy New Year!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

mpolo

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - D4 - HOWZAT?!

Postby mpolo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:19 pm UTC

Well, that's enough for me.

vote: adnapemit
Image <-- Evil experiment

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:28 pm UTC

@all: please indicate if there's anything else you would like to discuss today. I'd love to hammer and get this over a day early.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:44 pm UTC

I think we're done talking today.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:07 pm UTC

Agreed. Night action is submitted as agreed (with adnapemit's lynch, I will be blocking mpolo as the only other possible scum, if we have exactly 1 left. If we have more, I'm going to be rather confused.

Any last words adnapemit?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:09 pm UTC

I agree, let's lynch now.

Sabrar, I don't really understand your question. There was a separate line for each person I got a result on.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:14 pm UTC

Let me rephrase, which did you get:
a) "bessie targeted nobody",
b) "your action was unsuccessful on bessie",
c) or you didn't receive anything regarding bessie?

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:24 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Any last words adnapemit?

Let's lynch mpolo first.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:55 pm UTC

I did not get anything regarding bessie targeting anyone.

I got DJ targeted bessie.

Nice try adnapemit.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:44 pm UTC

Hammer-time.

Vote: adnapemit

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:04 am UTC

That is hammer. Day is now over. Submit your night actions if you haven't already.

Note that I'm hosting an NYE party tonight and am about to go out to a pub to watch the UFC, so depending on how things go I may not have time to do night flavour for over 24 hours.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:18 am UTC

And so, the Clarke-Dyer / Xenakis-King children concluded their game of cricket - the girls won, thanks in no small part to Sienna's batting skills - and ran back inside to see if one of the adults would take pity on them and get up to supervise them in the pool (Matilda and Lachlan were not yet old enough for this "privilege").

As they ran into the lounge room, they saw one of the other kids fiddling around on the floor, using a combination of various leftover pieces of food, chocolate, and pieces of fluff from the floor. She was little Nancy, only four, and she evidently considered herself an aspiring chef.

"What are you doing, Nancy?" Asked one of the other kids, crouching down beside her.

"Fixing the food! Like I did for Santa's biccies!"

The group of former cricket players exchanged a look; perhaps this is why they didn't see their other set of grandparents this morning? Could their parents have been lying when they said they were sleeping in?

The parents were awoken and the truth came out; after a phone call to the hospital, they confirmed that the grandparents had been admitted with symptoms of minor poisoning and would be fine in a day or two.

The rest of the evening resulted in the unconventional family being reunited once more:

Richo had calmed down, and Daz had seemed to have perked up - perhaps that Tinder app had done its job? - and they were reunited with the rest of the family.

Kazza and Gabe-o, who had "run off" with their friends from school at the beach, had actually done so at the pre-arrangement of all the parents involved, and they, too, were dropped off with the others in time for a swim.

Kylie and Aunty Rach returned from hospital, with Kylie's burned arm sporting a clean white bandage.

Bluey, after sleeping through the cricket game, seemed to have perked up quite a lot, and went back downstairs to join the rest of the family.

And little Carl, of course, woke up - though he, along with Richo and Kazza, sure did have a lot to answer for about the presents they stole!

As a few hours had passed, little Matty's bump was no longer painful and he was very glad to see that his twin brother, Perso, had not eaten any of Kazza's culinary creations, had a present stolen, or even been hit by a wayward cricket ball!

And so, reunited, this huge, unweildy family got together, climbed into their assortment of cars, and headed to the hospital to go wish their other set of grandparents a Merry Christmas and, of course, a Happy New Year!

The End

Town wins!

Matt, the independent, also wins!

Role PMs to follow.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Madge

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - D5 - Happy New Year!

Postby Madge » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:23 am UTC

Matt's Maker was Gopher of Pern

Matt's role was submitted as-is, which technically violated the rules of not including a win condition, but we liked it so much we used it anyway.

Here's our database of night actions, turn order, and who submitted what and so on: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks so much for playing guys! I had a lot of fun doing this!

Gopher of Pern's Role wrote:Role name: Angel tree topper

Description:
Your location on the top of the tree allows you a good view of all that happens. You also control the lights on your tree. You have been learning to make subtle changes to the lighting, which allow you to have a better view of a selected player each night. You might even try something daring if you have the nerve…

Mechanics:
You are a watcher and watch one player per night. You will be told of everyone that visits that player on the night you watch them (standard watcher mechanics).

Once in this game, you can attempt to turn on all the lights at once to full brightness, and you will receive a watcher report on all players for that night. However, because you have never tried anything so bold, you only have a 30% chance of success if you try this on the first night. If you practice a little first, your chance of success increases by 10% each night (N2 40% chance of success, etc.). If you fail, you will receive no watcher result for the night. Either way, the effort tires you out and the following night you are an ordinary watcher again.

Regardless of how long the game lasts, there is always a 5% chance that your “super” watcher attempt will fail spectacularly, and you will blow a fuse. The flash of light temporarily blinds everyone then plunges the household into total darkness. Everyone fails their night action as they stumble around (everyone is roleblocked). They recover the following morning but you don’t. You lose your watcher ability for the remainder of the game (note: your regular watcher action cannot cause such a specactular failure).

Win Condition: You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.

(note to the above: the role talks about the player being a watcher. I screwed up and kept giving GoP tracker results. When I realised this I offered to let GoP be his choice of tracker or watcher for the rest of the game; he went with keeping the tracker power for consistency. Big gaffe on my part but hopefully didn't screw up the game too much)

Adnapemit's Role wrote:Role Name: Steve Irwin featured as the Ghost of Christmas Present

Role Description:
Crikey, mate! The afterlife is like, really beautiful. It's a ripper! But you've been missing the outback so you signed up for a job down on Earth. You're gonna see if you can help out some people against some nasty predators!

You are the Ghost of Christmas Present. In this role, it is your job to take one person each night and show them what's going on someplace else this Christmas Day.

Role Mechanics:
Each day/night, you will submit the name of one player. You will get to show them the actions of a second player - chosen at random - during the course of the night, and your target will be notified of the results.

The player you choose will be informed that they have been visited by the Ghost of Steve Irwin, but your identity as a player will remain secret. The person you both visit will not be informed, though you will both be visible to any tracker/watcher type powers, should they exist.

Additionally, as Steve Irwin, if you want to take the night off and go looking at the local wildlife by yourself, you may do so and be immune to all night actions.

You may not choose to guide the same person more than one night in a row.

Win Condition:
You are the serial killer, and win if only you are alive (or if nothing can prevent the same).

Factional Ability:
You have a night kill that you may use in addition to your stated abilities.

Note that nobody submitted a role based on Arnold Schwarzenegger from Jingle All the Way, should you find that helpful.

Sabrar's Role wrote:Role Name: White Christmas (No, Not THAT One!)

Role Description:
You are a Platter of White Christmas. You are sick of all those non-Australians mistaking you for a movie, of all things. Maybe if you sit down and explain it to everyone, they’ll finally understand that you’re a strong independent Australian dessert who don’t need no Bing Crosby. This conversation could take all night. At least the rice bubbles will let you know if anyone’s eavesdropping!

Role Abilities: You may submit one target each Day to pull aside that Night for a heart-to-heart about your status as a Christmas icon in your own right. Your target will not be able to carry out any actions that Night, and since you have them cornered, they will not be able to be targeted by any abilities either.

The crackle of rice bubbles will give away anyone targeting you during the Night. At the beginning of each Day, you will receive a PM informing you of the names of any players who targeted you the previous Night.

Win Condition: You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.

Bessie's Role wrote:Role: One of the Six White Boomers

Description:
Reindeer don't like the heat of the Australian summer, so Santa's sleigh is pulled by six old kangaroos, called the Six White Boomers. You are one of them.

Kangaroos don't like anyone creeping up on them, and you also fly, because how else do you pull Santa round all those houses?

Abilities: You can choose to either "fight" or "fly" each night. If you choose to "fly", any abilities that target you will fail. If you choose to "fight", the abilities will succeed, but the player(s) using them will die. You will not be told who targeted you, or with what.

jimbob's role wrote:Role Name: Jack Frost

Role Description:
Ah, winter, my favorite season! Nothing like spending a nice cold day out on the snow-capped mountains of Austria…

Wait a minute, this isn't Austria! I should fire my travel agent. But first, it's way too hot around here, I better do something about that.

Once per night, you may choose one player to freeze. That player becomes so cold that they refuse to do anything (including voting) until the end of the following day when they warm up again. However, since you don't want anyone to freeze to death, you can't target anyone more than once with this power.

In addition, once per game, you can create a blizzard. This blizzard makes it difficult for anyone to see anything clearly for the duration of the night, which could result in a lot of mistaken identities. You cannot create a blizzard and freeze someone on the same night.

Role Mechanics:
Each night, the you may choose one of the following actions:

1. Freeze: You may target one player. The target is roleblocked that night and cannot vote the following day, and will be informed of this by PM at the end of the night. No player may be targeted by this power more than once per game. Use of this power does not reduce the number of votes needed to hammer (in other words, in determining the number of votes needed for hammer, the targeted player is counted as if they could still vote).

2. Blizzard: This power affects all players. Any targeted action (excluding self-targeting actions) used during the night will be redirected to a randomly chosen target (all players, including the intended target but excluding the one using the action, are equally likely to be chosen). The flavour post at the beginning of the following day will indicate that a freak blizzard made it hard to see clearly that night. This power may only be used once per game.

DJ/Mpolo's role wrote:Role Name: Caroler

Description:
What would Christmas be without some nice carols, possibly disrupting everyone's peace? At least the songs you perform contain some useful information for the recipient. Each night you may target another player (you cannot choose the same player on consecutive nights) and you sing them 3 names, at least one of whom is guaranteed to be scum (your target will be informed of this as well). You unfortunately will have no knowledge of the names you sang.

Role Mechanics: You are a Caroler. Each night, you choose a target. That target will receive three names, one of whom will be guaranteed to be scum. Your target will be aware of this.

SDK's role wrote:Role Name: The Turkey Barbecuer

Role Description:
You've been put in charge of cooking this year's Christmas turkey, and since there's only one way to cook a turkey for Chrissie, you've brought out the barbie! Now, everybody knows that you have to be careful when cooking turkey, and you know just how to get it right. As a result, everyone is always keen to give your food a try!

However, you also know how to make it look like it's good when it really isn't, for those people you're not too fond of…

Role Mechanics:
Each night, you may give a piece of turkey to one of the other players, prepared in one of the ways listed below. Due to your limited amount of ingredients, you can only use each way once.

The player you give the meat to may choose to eat it during the next day (after all, Christmas Lunch is the norm in Australia!). If they do, they will get the associated effects during the following evening.

- Poisoned meat: You’ve chucked a bit of bleach into this one! The person who eats this meat will die the very next night, unless they are saved by a healing ability.
- Medicated meat: You’ve found a medicine so good it even works on stab wounds! Someone can’t be killed on a day they eat this meat.
- Iron-laced meat: Adding a generous amount of iron supplements to your food is just as good as kevlar, it turns out! Whoever eats this will resist one kill attempt. (assigns your target one-shot bulletproof)
- Caffeinated meat: A red bull marinade and an espresso crust means whoever eats this won’t get a wink of sleep the next evening! Instead, they’ll probably wind up tracking someone’s movements. (assigns your target a one-shot tracker power)
- Cocaine-laced meat: You thought it was flour and coated the outside of a piece of turkey with it before you fried it. You sure stuffed that one up! That said, it turns out Sherlock Holmes used to do the stuff, too. Maybe that’s why he was such a good investigator? (assigns your target a one-shot cop power)

SDK

Postby SDK » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:31 pm UTC

Good game everyone! We had some powerful roles townside, but I think the game could have been a lot different if we hadn't gotten rid of Roadie and kalira early on.

Thanks for running this, Madge. You did a great job.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:25 pm UTC

Great game with some very interesting abilities. Had a lot of fun (and even more paranoia :D ).
SDK wrote:We had some powerful roles townside, but I think the game could have been a lot different if we hadn't gotten rid of Roadie and kalira early on.
My thoughts exactly. Also my scumdar still needs a lot of work.

Thanks Madge for hosting!

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:36 pm UTC

Thanks for the game, Madge. Sorry for my little hiccup with travelling, but at least my info helped in the end.
Image <-- Evil experiment

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:14 pm UTC

Thanks for running it Madge. The game could have gone very differently if it wasn't for quite a fortunate D1/N1. But so many roleblockers and redirectors!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:24 am UTC

Yes, town was very lucky to lynch scum d1! I felt a bit bad it was such a steamroll but I don't think there was much that could have been done to help mafia out. A godfather might have helped, as might have a ninja (especially with so many trackers). But if things had gone differently those same powers would have allowed scum to steamroll town... so you can never be sure!

Sorry for fiddling with your role so much, jimbob! Most of the others were changed very little, but jimbob's original submission involved multiple pieces of turkey announced publicly in thread each day. One of the main reasons it got changed was because one of the turkey-given powers was yet another roleblock, and there were already so many. Also because I thought a piece of meat that immediately killed you with no warning wasn't going to be a fun way to die!

No problem with your hiccup mpolo, thankyou for stepping in, really appreciated!

Thanks to everyone for submitting such excellent roles. My favourite was Carlington's bus driver white boomer because the Ozzie level was perfect, though White Christmas was also up there for me. I wasn't even aware of the dessert White Christmas until a few years ago when my mother in law made it for us, though!

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:15 am UTC

Thank you Madge (and dimochka), 10/10. I loved my role and am a little disappointed that I didn’t get to kill anyone (could I really have taken out four of you N1?!). My apologies to anyone I was rude to, I’ve discovered that I can be quite an ass when I’m not worried about dying. And sorry for teasing you Sabrar, I didn’t mean to annoy you. I assure you that my admiration for your brilliant mafia playing skills is real, and I am even more impressed than I was previously, now that I know you don’t make notes (How the heck do some of you play without notes? I have at least ten pages and a spreadsheet just for this game.). I think Carlington and adnapemit played well and would probably not have been lynched without the investigation results. And I’m still not sure how SDK did this; I think he’s probably just magic. This game could easily have gone the other way if we lynched GoP instead of RoadieRich D1.

And I don’t think I’ve thanked Madge yet for the Acknowledgement of Country links in this thread and in the Gojoe thread. Thank you for sharing. I read them all.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:27 am UTC

I've been playing around on here for about four years now (god, where does the time go??) and I still feel like I don't *get* how scumhunting works. So I'd be very interested to see your (or anyone else's) spreadsheets if they are comfortable sharing them.

Glad you enjoyed all the links and whatnot I shared! I think everything that's to be said has already been said, but I'm glad people didn't think it was weird because I wanted to make sure that something Australia themed didn't ignore the "real" Australians completely.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:23 am UTC

Haha, yes, it is magic. I sold my soul to the devil a couple years back in exchange for being able to tell when someone is lying over the Internet. No regrets.

I don't keep notes either. I did a bit when I first started playing, or if there are a huge number of players (just to track claims and such), but I found them cumbersome. My time is better spent elsewhere, like just rereading as much as possible.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:01 am UTC

That was a good game! Good job everyone.

I'm really glad no one died in the flavour. :D

I lost but I like to I think I helped town out a lot by killing kalira because she was the one person who I was certain didn't have the role I submitted...
[adnapemit|timepanda]

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:27 pm UTC

adnapemit wrote:I lost but I like to I think I helped town out a lot by killing kalira because she was the one person who I was certain didn't have the role I submitted...

How could you possibly know that on D1? I knew who had the rule I submitted practically since the beginning of D2, but there's no way I could have figured it out earlier unless they claimed or died.

adnapemit

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby adnapemit » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:53 pm UTC

Because of this I guessed she didn't have a kill:
kalira wrote:I somewhat disagree with this. The rules for submission stated that the roles couldn't "only work with certain win conditions" -- I think submitting a kill power might violate this, or at least really seriously skirt the edge of it, because I don't think it would work with a Mafia win condition.
Obviously I was wrong since not only did she have the ability to cause a kill but also the role I submitted
[adnapemit|timepanda]

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:10 pm UTC

The role I submitted was lynched D1. We also had a bit of a technical issue regarding me messaging the dead in that PMs can only have 5 recipients, made moot by me dying N2.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:56 am UTC

adnapemit wrote:I'm really glad no one died in the flavour. :D

Hey someone reads my posts!

Madge wrote:I've been playing around on here for about four years now (god, where does the time go??) and I still feel like I don't *get* how scumhunting works. So I'd be very interested to see your (or anyone else's) spreadsheets if they are comfortable sharing them.

It's an excel spreadsheet. I'd be happy to send it to you if you want. You can see my full suspect list each day. PM me.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:31 am UTC

Thanks for the game! I guess me being Matt's maker explains the day 1 shenanigans.

Losing two mafia by the second day always makes it hard. But Carlington would have had a chance if it wasn't for my power going off.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:28 am UTC

Very rough game from my side, yeah. :lol:
Still, gave it my best shot, and town played well - even without the NK, you still would have lynched scum D1, which is a great start.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:29 am UTC

EBWOP: Good game, all!
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Return to “Mafia”