Secret Santa 2016 - D5 - Happy New Year!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
emlightened
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere cosy.

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby emlightened » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:23 am UTC

Carlington wrote:Ninja'd by emlightened: why DJ who is subject to a mod response and not RR who isn't? Has RR been more active in your scum chat?

Because he's gone for longer without posting, and people are already voting Roadie for inactivity, so it seems more likely to evoke a response. Also, I know he's been modprodded, but we're more likely to get a decent response if he thinks he's at risk of lynch.

More later.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Carlington » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:50 am UTC

bessie wrote:
Carlington wrote:SDK having posted scum picks like that with no reasoning lights up my scumdar, especially given how little content he has given outside of that. However, I think he has been a little too flippant or casual for me to buy him being scum, perhaps an indie who can win with town or scum.
So SDK’s gameplay thus far lights up you scumdar, but not in a way that makes you think he’s scum? How is his content in this game different from his content when he’s town?
Sure, I think the way he's playing is scummy. That's not based on meta, but on what I find scummy. Don't get me wrong - SDK's strategy on D1 is always to shake as many nests as possible and catalog which ones are full of bees, wasps, or Mafiosi - but at the very least, he'll usually walk it back a little when people call him out and provide his reasoning after the fact. I haven't seen that as much this game.

bessie wrote:
Carlington wrote:bessie seems unafraid to post opinions, and while I am a little concerned at the tunnelling,
You may as well be. You should always be on the lookout for an easy wagon to hitch yourself to.
Mind unpacking this a little? It reads almost like a blatant accusation, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I'm presently waiting for the bus in the rain (in the rain) so more soon.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:01 am UTC

Gopher of Pern: comes out of hiding with a serious vote on emlightened for what I think is a wrong reason. Thinks that 3 scum with power roles would somehow balance 11 non-scum PR-s and not make the game town-heavy. Very little content, focusing mostly on a single player, doesn't seem to be actively scum-hunting. Scummy.

jimbobmacdoodle: leaving for later

moody7277: his attention on me reminded me of heuristically_alone's play in Impromptu Mafia where h_a voted me based on very faulty logic even after several players showed him how wrong he was. Of course h_a was Jester there, so it's quite complicated to read something into it, plus moody backed down of his own accord. Posts early read-list which is typical of him, I get the feeling that he wants to protect jimbob while keeping his distance. Very possibly reading too much into this. Currently neutral, moderately scummy if jimbob turns out to be scum.

Djehutynakht: acceptable lynch-candidate today if he provides no content and there's no mod-action about it, though I would very much like to avoid that.

Carlington: irl issues, null tell. First real post provides only some setup speculations which is not really helpful. Second post is more useful, the main issue I'm having here is that he only provides townie reads and doesn't find anyone scummy. Neutral-slightly scummy.
Ninja'd by 3rd post. Will need more time to make sense of it.

More later.

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby bessie » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:27 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:
bessie wrote:
bessie wrote:
moody7277 wrote:bessie- scattershot reactions, one pro-Sabrar, one anti-emlightened. insufficient data

And one anti kalira. Why did you leave that out?

moody, did you answer this?


Not yet, but here it is. Mostly because what I saw didn't look like you were being anti-kalira. Funny that you should be taking such pains to make sure I know this. That bit of info goes into the database.
On the contrary, I was quite sure you knew it. After all, SDK, jimbobmacdoodle, and Carlington have uncovered ample evidence that I am tunneling on emlightened and kalira, so I assumed that you must have at the least noted their concerns. Actually, I was taking great pains to figure out why you were avoiding a question about kalira’s scumminess. You’re not the only one with a database.

Carlington wrote:
bessie wrote:
Carlington wrote:bessie seems unafraid to post opinions, and while I am a little concerned at the tunnelling,
You may as well be. You should always be on the lookout for an easy wagon to hitch yourself to.
Mind unpacking this a little? It reads almost like a blatant accusation, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Did I accuse you of anything? What was my extraordinary claim? I just made an observation that you may as well follow the lead of jimbobmacdoodle and be concerned with my alleged tunneling. Oh, and that you should be observant so that opportunity doesn’t pass you by. Can you please tell me exactly what you think I am accusing you of so that I may defend myself properly?

Let’s see, possible pairings:
kalira and emlightened
Sabrar and jimbobmacdoodle
SDK and moody

Revised setup spec: 8/3/1/1/1 or 8/2/2/2?

More later. If anyone wants me to respond to anything, please post it before 8:00 am PST and I will do my best.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:32 am UTC

bessie wrote:Revised setup spec: 8/3/1/1/1 or 8/2/2/2?

Please explain the 8/2/2/2 possibility. With no cult what other non-town teams do you think of? Or do you just assume that we have multiple scum-teams?

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:51 am UTC

adnapemit: very little to go on, feels more like active lurking with safe comments/questions on a bunch of things. Slightly scummy.

SirGabriel: I feel his comments on the rules/roles on the first page come from a townie mind-set. I think his read-list provides too little in the way of explaining what he finds townie/scummy but overall I'm currently leaning Town on him.

SDK: leaving for later

bessie: leaving for later

matt96: posted to avoid mod-prod but with really no content at all. Promised more, but until that feels very lurky and thereby scummy.

RoadieRich: basically same as matt, but with promises of very little content. Acceptable lynch-candidate.

emlightened: I feel her tone is townie, her content is lacking though. Neutral for now.

kalira: looked to be active and engaged at first but slipped back in posting. Neutral for now due to lack of relevant content.

To be finished whenever I have the time.

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby bessie » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:56 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
bessie wrote:Revised setup spec: 8/3/1/1/1 or 8/2/2/2?

Please explain the 8/2/2/2 possibility. With no cult what other non-town teams do you think of? Or do you just assume that we have multiple scum-teams?

Setup for 8/2/2/2 - 8 power townies and three of the following:
2 mafia with a kill on even nights
2 werewolves with a kill on odd nights
2 power mafia with a kill every night
2 survivor team with no chat, one of which must survive until end game for the team to win
2 jester team with assigned even/odd days, one of which must be lynched on their correct day for the team to win

Setup for 8/3/1/1/1:
8 power townies with a lot of protection
3 mafia with a factional every night kill
1 serial killer with an every night kill, must be last man standing
1 lyncher, possibly for mafia if you’re concerned with balance, exits game upon achieving his goal
1 independent with an annoying win condition, like a militant atheist or some flavor of jester

I can probably think of more but I'm trying to put together a list before I fall asleep.

User avatar
adnapemit
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:05 am UTC
Location: The wrong timezone.

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby adnapemit » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:02 am UTC

Quick post because of suddenly feeling really sick.

bessie wrote:
adnapemit wrote:Can you describe a bit more why you think that is active lurky? I might not consider it overly useful but more so than active lurky.
A paragraph on a lurker and a paragraph on a town claim. If not overly useful, can you point out what you believe is somewhat useful in that post?

The second part about the town claim provided an opinion and reasoning behind that opinion. That post was also made an hour after her last one, it contained enough content to have a reason for a new post but with a lot posted in the last one I would not expect it too contain more.

I don't have any strong scum leads at the moment. I should be online in the morning hopefully I can make a decision about voting then.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:15 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle: I'm always having trouble reading him, he looks like his usual self which doesn't tell me much. His main content is about his questions to the other players and defending his phrasing choices which also doesn't help. One thing that jumped out to me though is that he finds RR slightly townie based on a single comment. Probably will have a better read on him once he posts analysis on the other players as well, neutral for now.

SDK: little late to the party but has been active since. Seems to ignore a lot of players, focusing mostly on his scum-reads but he also questions others as well which is a plus. Would be great if he could provide a town-to-scum list, currently leaning town on him.

bessie: there's a lot where I don't agree with bessie (taking focus on flavor too seriously, her possible pairings, her questioning on what I can and can't keep in mind (I'm flattered BTW), etc), however that doesn't make her scummy. Her style seems to be consistent with how she played in Dollhouse and Wheel of Time, one town/one scum, so I can't read much into it either. What interests me most is her setup speculation, which seems too crazy to come out of nowhere. I can think of at least 5 reasons why you would have posted them, which one is it? :)

Vote: Gopher of Pern

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:16 pm UTC

EBWOP for correct formatting

Vote: Gopher of Pern

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Carlington » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:24 pm UTC

(snipped because the quote pyramid was getting too tall)
bessie wrote:Did I accuse you of anything? What was my extraordinary claim? I just made an observation that you may as well follow the lead of jimbobmacdoodle and be concerned with my alleged tunneling. Oh, and that you should be observant so that opportunity doesn’t pass you by. Can you please tell me exactly what you think I am accusing you of so that I may defend myself properly?
I think it's pretty well accepted that town should be looking to vote for their strongest scum reads, not just the easiest wagon. Telling me to jump on the easiest wagon is, in my view, tantamount to a direct accusation of being scum. If that's what you're trying to say, then just say it. Also, as I said in the only post where I even mentioned you tunneling, I believe you are doing so as town, not scum.

Alright, I am in a position now to put some proper opinions on players up. In order of posting in the thread:

SirGabriel: The first few posts of theirs* are mainly focused on speculating about game mechanics and set-up spec based on what would be well-balanced. If there are more than two factions, though, there are very many ways that things can be balanced, so that can't always be a reliable basis. Their analysis post was short, but I don't see anything objectionable.

Djehutynakht: Literally no content.

Gopher of Pern: No content other than responding to jimbob's questions and voting emlightened for...thinking 3 mafia is unlikely? I don't dig it.

bessie: As I read over her posts, I feel like she was a little sharp on emlightened and kalira, but it seems like a misunderstanding to me - bessie, I read kalira's comment about poisoning as being in reference to the flavour, so in fact you seem to agree. She seems to have suspicions about emlightened, kalira, Sabrar, and possibly me but maybe I'm more sensitive to that because it's me.

Sabrar: Setup spec, with a focus on the fact that we can't read spoilers after death (still think this is just for replacement purposes, ftr). Thinks 4 scum and thinks an SK, although it's not clear if this is meant to be 9/4/1 or 10/3/1. A couple of fairly brief posts, disagrees with bessie about emlightened distracting players. (I thought that seemed like what she was doing, at first blush). A couple of quick reads, a staunch refutation of accusations of tunneling. I broadly don't see problems with his reads, I reckon he's neutral/town.

adnapemit: Not much original content, largely reactions to others and questions about their content. Seems to be asking questions in the right direction, but it remains to be seen if the motivation is to find out the answers or to be seen asking the questions. Neutral.

jimbob: First actual post seems strong, although he lingered a touch long on responding to questions about how long since he was last scum, which is weird because that has literally zero to do with whether he's scum in this game. No real solid analysis except for a couple of players, and even there it's full of hedging. I'm actually starting to feel like jimbob was coasting through as town based on my general assumption that he plays in a towny manner, which doesn't hold up under greater scrutiny. He seems to have RL stuff though.

moody: Setup spec and analysis which is typically straightforward and lacking in flowery prose. I read him as town here, and I expect I'll see more from him D2 and onwards, he seems to do much better with concrete things like wagons and night results and interactions to work with.

matt96: All he has said is that he thinks there's probably 9 town. He has promised more content, I hope to see it.

kalira: a lot of early talk about struggling to get into the right headspace for D1, and a lot of back and forth thinking-aloud about setup spec. Asks questions about moody's assumptions. Not much other content besides a response to Sabrar regarding/defending jimbob. Neutral/scummy.

emlightened: The much-mentioned and much-maligned flavour-based spec, which I don't see as malicious necessarily, although maybe misguided and not very helpful. The rest of her posts have been largely devoted to setup spec, and then defending her flavour-spec and setup spec. Contrarian vote for DJ to get a response, despite a modprod which is meant to get a response. I'm not sure I understand, but she seems committed to it so w/e. Neutralish for now.

RoadieRich: One post with a little smidgen of setup spec, but covered with a hedge that his knowledge is out of date. Still more content than DJ, but only by the finest of margins.

SDK: Late to the party, then lots of questions, then some unexplained scum picks which changed without explanation, then pushing players for their thoughts on his scum picks, then saying there's no time for discussion, we need votes. I wrote that all in one run-on sentence because that's how it felt. I get a hugely rushed feeling from his posts, which is odd. He seems to just be pushing for any lynch, which makes me wonder why he wants the night to come so fast. In general, discussion is pro-town, so anti-discussion is anti-town. I feel like he's scum.

So I guess to boil it down, scum top three are looking like SDK, kalira, and then jimbob or Gopher of Pern.

Vote: SDK

*It occurred to me in writing this post that I've never been fully sure of your pronouns, and I think I've just been assuming the whole time. Sorry for that. I have a feeling you clarified this in the past, but if so it is long lost in the depths of my memory.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
SirGabriel
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby SirGabriel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:53 pm UTC

I like the recent content from Sabrar, Carlington, and bessie. All move to slightly townie on my list. Though I still don't see the connection bessie claims to see between emlightened and kalira.

Carlington wrote:*It occurred to me in writing this post that I've never been fully sure of your pronouns, and I think I've just been assuming the whole time. Sorry for that. I have a feeling you clarified this in the past, but if so it is long lost in the depths of my memory.

I'm not sure whether I've clarified it in the past, but it's he/him/his. And I don't think there's anything wrong with assuming that someone with a clearly masculine username is fine with being referred to using masculine pronouns (unless, of course, they've explicitly stated otherwise).

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby moody7277 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:53 pm UTC

kalira

post 1: RV Freddy Kreuger. Expands on Madge's no alignment associated with submission, example of town cop to mafia role cop.

post 2: positive looking response to emlightened on her reading into the flavor a lot.

post 3: meta role spec about how creative submissions are. answer to jimbob with a shrug about how long the game will go. disagrees with emlightened's reason for the existence of a SK, but supplies her own. FoS RR.

post 4: corrected about her statement re RR being the last to post. forgiving of SDK for not having posted much at the time. more suspicious of jimbob because of his overt town claim right off.

So, for those of you who find kalira scummy, I'm not seeing it. If you can point to what it is in my summary, or something I didn't pick up, feel free to do so.

Vote: RoadieRich
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby bessie » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:21 pm UTC

OK, not my greatest list. Not very thorough, but I tried to concentrate on the players that I haven’t said anything about yet. As a matter of principle I tried not to have any neutrals on my list, but I had to make an exception for Djehutynakht.

adnapemit – There’s not much to go by, but I like what little I see. She needs some reads though. Please provide some reads, or at the very least, a town-scum list (ordered, no groupings, etc.). Neutral-townie.

Carlington – Did not back down or ignore my needling him; I like that. Leaning town.

Djehutynakht – I think DJ’s complete lack of activity is probably because he’s busy and not because he’s deliberately trying to lurk through D1 because he’s scum. Unfortunately, this gives us no information about his alignment because he can just as easily be busy scum as busy town. True neutral read.

emlightened – All setup speculation, no real reads, just a couple of very short remarks about RoadieRich’s and SDK’s lack of activity (and DJ). I think if she’s scum kalira is scum. Leaning scum.

Gopher of Pern – Another player where I don’t have any problem with his content, he just needs more of it. Not on my lynch list for today. Slightly neutral-town.

jimbobmacdoodle – I think he’s independent.

kalira – I think her exceptional writing talent make her appear more townie than she is. I still believe there is a connection with emlightened, but if only one of them is scum I think it is kalira.

matt96 – I’m beginning to think he has a posting restriction against posting any useful content on D1. He better have a spectacular D2. Leaning scum.

moody7277- I almost always read moody as scummy, but in this game I have him as leaning slightly town. I’ll need to dig harder for some scummy reads on D2 so that he won’t be disappointed.

RoadieRich – I don’t find his single post particularly scummy, but I’m not happy with his lack of any other content (actually, there’s very little content in his single post, so I should really say I’m not happy with his lack of overall content). RoadieRich, how about some reads or a town-scum list? If you’re not going to contribute something, preferably something that helps us catch scum, you won’t be a big loss even if you’re town. Leaning scum.

Sabrar – Aargh, leaning town and leaning scum depending on which post I am reading. Not on my lynch list for today.

SDK – I think he’s town, but I’ve been fooled before.

SirGabriel – Replies to questions, had some decent setup speculation. My biggest problem with him is that 8/13 of the people on his list are neutral or no comment (pre post edit: he moved some of those players to slightly townie in his last post). But at least he made a list so he’s ahead of most other players in that area. Town.

Sabrar wrote:What interests me most is her setup speculation, which seems too crazy to come out of nowhere. I can think of at least 5 reasons why you would have posted them, which one is it? :)

The simplest one.
5. Fishing for reactions.

Vote: kalira

I’m leaving for work in less than an hour. I will try to check the thread at my lunch break but the most I will be able to manage (if anything) is a quick phone post.

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby SDK » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:13 pm UTC

So the reason I'm voting for Roadie is not just because he's lurking (though I certainly would prefer to lynch a lurker than a random player Day 1 with little to go on otherwise). Almost everything about his one post rubs me the wrong way. I'd hoped he might return to solidify that read, but I'm happy that his wagon has built up a bit despite that. To go through it: 1) The self-vote unvote joke feels weird. Not that I want people to be serious all the time, but I've seen scum do this before, trying to show people that they don't mind votes on them or something. It's like an RVS vote, but meant to avoid ruffling any feathers. 2) Then he goes on to talk about himself, which is fine, but the core of it is focused on Nights, and setting himself up to be surprised when he survives. That's not a townie focus. 3) Then he follows that up with actual game discussion, ending off with "What are you trying to distract us from?" I say things like that sometimes to see what sticks, or to get a rise out of someone, but if this was actually serious, this sounds more like an appeal to the townies (not to see what sticks to scum, but to see what sticks with the voting population).

Not much to go on, but there you go. With a lack of leads elsewhere, Roadie is still my best bet.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
SirGabriel
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby SirGabriel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:18 pm UTC

bessie wrote:jimbobmacdoodle – I think he’s independent.

Why?

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:56 pm UTC

I'm going to try to do some analysis of all players today, but will likely break this up during the day, based on available time.

Adnapemit: I got some good vibes from her. She went straight into questioning people's opinions on topics without worrying about random votes or idle speculation, which is an easy way for scum to fill time. Her lack of thoughts on many people could be concerning, but I think based on volume of post, she's not deliberately ignoring anyone specifically. She responded to my first question, but not the second. Her stance on kalira active lurking is the same as mine. Overall, moderately townie.

Carlington: a bit slow with thoughts, but has since produced quite a bit of good content. Responded to both my questions. Doesn't jump on one of the easy potential wagons (those who were under suspicion such as me), and prods SDK for some of his unjustified comments which makes me think he is probably town.

DJ: zero content. Probably otherwise occupied based on lack of MMMII progressing. Insufficient data.

Emlightened: most content has been setup speculation and comments defending that speculation. As noted before, I don't find anything objectionable on what was posted. However, she has posted almost nothing on the majority of players. Slightly scummy.

Gopher of Pern: Votes for emlightened with very little up-front justification, although later clarifies it with additional pressure. Very little else regarding content apart from some setup speculation and responses to my question. Not sure that I like how tunnely he seems. Slightly scummy.

Other players to follow later.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby SDK » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:42 pm UTC

SCUM

RoadieRich - See above

Gopher of Pern - What little we've got doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Carlington - I'm not sure on Carlington. His interactions with me are odd, and I've never liked the "What do you know that we don't?" catchphrase. It's always felt like scum propaganda to me (though I've seen townies use it enough times not to hold it against people these days). His analysis of players seems legitimate enough, but I just keep coming back to his analysis of me. I'm too flippant to be scum, but trust me when I say I'm way too engaged to be a survivor, that's for damn sure. I hate that role. His justification for voting me is actually fine, though I've only been here two days and deadline's in... 6 hours now, so I'm not sure why rushing is an anti-town thing in his mind. I don't know. I have no real lead here, so I think OMGUS is causing my gut to rumble.

bessie - bessie's little spat with Sabrar rubbed me the wrong way, along with some open ended wonderings, but she's since posted lots of good stuff. I liked her reads list for the most part, but oddly I thought the weakest parts were her two scum reads, emlightened and kalira.
-- bessie, can you flesh your vote out a little further, please?

matt96 - Yep.

Djehutynakht - [Everything above this leans scum. Everything below this leans town.]

kalira - Somehow it feels like she has less content than matt... The writing feels townie, kinda, I guess, but there's nothing really there.
-- kalira, same questions for you as I asked adnapemit (see below).

adnapemit - Nothing concerning, nothing to note. Asked a few questions, responded to a few things... She's light on content, but I think that's normal for her. Some more opinions would be good.
-- adnapemit, why did you choose not to respond to my call for votes? What did you think of me pointing fingers without basis? Who is scum?

emlightened - Light on content, but I like her responses to direct questions. She's come under fire a bit, but I don't really see it.
-- emlightened, same questions for you as I asked adnapemit (see above).

SirGabriel - Unlike most times, I actually like SirG's setup spec, including sharing his info from Madge. His reads list was a little weak, but fine overall. He is taking stances at least.

moody7277 - I'll just quote myself to get things started...
SDK wrote:The inclusion of "even then I'm still going to have holding back as a possibility" in this post made me raise my eyebrows. His next post is just solid numbers, which can kinda go either way, but tends to indicate that he's playing for himself.
Things have since gotten much better, however. His T/S list was better than usual, and all his comments around the edges felt great. This is not a strong town read - a town read on moody will never be strong for me - but he's good.

jimbobmacdoodle - I threw jimbob on my initial shortlist just because I didn't like that he was asking about roles alongside his town claim. There he stayed because though this post was pointing in the right direction, it didn't say anything - I wanted him to follow-up. His follow-up, especially this post, is strong. He hasn't laid a vote yet, but he's prodding people, responding nicely, and following up on questions that went unanswered (in the right sort of way). He also likes turkey, so that's a plus.

Sabrar - Feels good. I don't have anything specific to point to, but his track and his tone are both solid across the board.

TOWN


SirGabriel wrote:Question for SDK: Why those particular players? You named one of several lurkers, one of several players with multiple posts and little content, and one of the players with the most content, and I don't see anything clearly scummy about the first two compared to others with similar amounts of content (in jimbob's case, I can see why you might think he's scummy, but I don't think one of the few players who is making good contributions should be lynched D1).

moody is a good guy to get a first wagon going, because he always looks a little scummy. Roadie and jimbob I explained (and I agree jimbob wouldn't have been a good lynch, even when I had those couple things in mind). Bessie was getting some minor heat, but no votes yet, and I wanted to see what would happen if I threw her on my short list. I'm afraid people may be getting too used to my playstyle though - being ignored is not a good way to get reactions!

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Also IGMEOY SDK for apparently ignoring my follow-up question re. his answer to my original questions:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Incidentally, your response to my first question seemed a little throw away to me. Care to explain why you didn't give a more serious answer? Or am I misinterpreting it?

If you want me to say that I suspect it's impossible for us to lose before Night 2, and impossible for the game to go longer than Night 7, I can do that. There's no telling how long this game will go, so I gave a joke response. I did ignore your question, but what answer did you expect? What did you expect to learn from my response?

PS: Deadline in a little more than 5 hours, just so everyone is aware.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
Gopher of Pern
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:48 pm UTC

Unvote

I'll admit, when I read emlighteneds post the first time, it seemed to me they were suggesting that there were only 2 scum. Still, a 3 man scum team does not seem unlikely to me, at least not enough to almost dismiss the possibility.

Honestly, I don't like really long posts. They take too long to write, and it's easy to hide scumminess behind massive walls of text.

Frankly, SDK seems a bit off to me.I remember them being much more aggressive in their pursuit of scum, but they seem relatively restrained.

Sirgabriel seems ok. Some decent posts.

Dj has posted nothing of substance.

Carlington has posted decent content, and I agree with most of his stuff.

Bessie has quite a bit, although some of their questions seem a bit funny to me.

Sabrar has decent content, but i disagree with some analysis. BTW, I missed this the first time through: What is the prophet role you talked of?

adnapemit has a little content, but not much on reads, just asking questions

jimbob seems ok. Lots of content. Little light on scum hunting early, but gotten better.

Moody has a bit of content, but again it seems off. Posts a lot of fluff, and ends up with a safe vote on a lurker.

matt has literally nothing. their second post is the fluffiest piece of fluff that has ever fluffed

kalira has some content, which seems ok. I disagree with some of their speculation though.

emlightened is not as bad as I first though. Still not many reads from them. Votes for a lurker.

RoadieRich is a lurkymclurker. still more content than Dj.

My lurker vote would go to matt. They are the most active lurky out of the lurkers. The scummiest out of the rest would be SDK or moody.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:02 pm UTC

Kalira: Several long posts early on, but actually not a huge amount in them, with it mostly focusing on setup, and the likelihood of a kill power besides mafia. I'm not sure whether scum would focus quire so much on it. I wouldn't be surprised if she were to turn out to be anti-town with kill after all that. Slightly scummy due to low content and the ping of possible killer.

Matt: Low content (though not the lowest), which solely focuses on setup spec. Hasn't responded to my questions at all, nor has he posted anything about anybody else. Another person that I'm finding scummy (scum, scum everywhere!), but mostly due to lack of content.

moody: Not getting any scum vibes from him from my read through. I disagree with his conclusions re. the likelihood of only one killer (i.e. there might only be one, but it would be because only was submitted). Didn't speculate on the likelihood of traditional versus non-traditional. Interacting with several different players, and seems willing to discuss his reads. Probably town.

RoadieRich: covered before, and hasn't posted since then. I don't particularly like his accusation of emlightened, but that's about the only thing worth anything at this point from him. Scummy, again mostly due to lack of content at this stage.

SirGabriel: I thought I picked up a ping from this statement:
SirGabriel wrote:It depends largely on when the serial killer dies
which suggested to me that he knew something about the setup but on checking, he says he expects an SK to be present, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now on that one. Responded promptly to my comments, with a rather broad response, but given the nature of the question, I can't find fault with it. I don't agree with some of his conclusions in his reads post, but they do seem to be thought through. I like his prodding of SDK re. SDK's requests for content on specific players and most recently of bessie's read of me. Townie.

Posting this now, will do those remaining next.

I was about to put down a place-holder vote for Gopher, but see that he's posted before me with some reads. I don't have time to more than skim them, but they look ok, and his content is better than others. Instead I'll go with emlightened:

Vote emlightened

for lack of discussions of players and too much setup speculation. I may change this following my reads of the remaining players, but I doubt it.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:07 pm UTC

Should be online from now on, might go to bed before actual deadline.

@Gopher of Pern: Prophet

In general I don't like the 'I was just fishing for reactions' kinda posts/defenses, the same idea is behind the 'townies should never lie' unofficial rule. The reasoning is that scum can jst use this defense if/when one of their suggestions is shown to be erroneous and suspicion would fall upon them. They could say 'oh I was just trying to see who would agree with my terrible idea'. Therefore I find bessie's explanation behind her setup speculation a bit scummy and I will also have to watch SDK more carefully.

I feel comfortable about my vote and don't plan to change it.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:21 pm UTC

EBWOP: On the note of RoadieRich, my opinion changed after sitting and thinking about his post a bit more, rather than the rushed post yesterday evening. I'd also read it in comparison to various other posts by other players, hence my new conclusion (plus another day without any more content from him causes him to slide in the negative direction).
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:46 pm UTC

Bessie: her first post with content looks pretty poor to me, with most of it made discussing the setup and irrelevant details before deciding not to like kalira or adnapemit for flavour discussion. As noted before, I get the feeling that she's tunnelling too much on kalira and emlightened. I really don't see the connection she sees. I also disagree with some of her reasons, such as the active lurky post linked to (there are far worse posts out there from other players, and probably kalira herself, though I haven't looked - why pick that one?). Prods SDK re. moody accusation without explanation, along with several other players. She strikes me as very aggressive, probably too much so to be town. In response to her comment as to why I accused her of tunnelling only after SDK mentioned it, it was because I didn't have time to do a re-read of everybody yesterday, so focused on those requested (i.e. you and RoadieRich). You also asked why I considered your opinion on emlightened's flavour analysis post as a big issue. It's because you said you considered FoSsing her for it. Interestingly, most of her reads more or less match my own. Probably town.

Sabrar: skimmed through his posts (there are too many to do a full read-through at the moment), and generally, I don't have any issues with him. He seems fairly typical Sabrar from what I can see, and hasn't gone after anyone in an odd manner as yet, which I've picked up on before from scum!Sabrar. He's interacting and questioning a number of players, and has posted justified reads on everyone. His most recent post re. the "fishing for reactions" on SDK seems a little odd, since SDK has a fairly well known meta of doing exactly that (both as scum and town). Not sure that bessie has that same meta, so that's probably more reasonable. Probably town.

SDK: his behaviour is more or less exactly as I remember him playing before, though possibly toned down slightly, in that he didn't directly target one specific player from early on. Given it's been a while since he's played, I can imagine his meta changing slightly. I like that he's prodding a range of players more than the singling someone out approach of the past. I dislike how he was encouraging people to hurry to make a decision apparently without making one himself. He was a bit slow in coming back with responses to questions but did eventually. Leaning town.

In response to SDK's questions: I was interested in why you gave a throw-away joke answer, in that you seemed to not be taking my question seriously. You might have been dismissing it for the wrong reason, and I was looking for some justification one way or the other, which you have now fairly provided. A poor response to my follow-up would have pushed you in the scummy direction, in my opinion. As is often the case with my questions, the actual answers weren't as important as the way people answered them.

I don't understand this comment:
SDK wrote:He also likes turkey, so that's a plus.
Unless I know you IRL (which I doubt), I'm pretty sure I never mentioned my (dis)like for turkey anywhere...

TOWN
Sabrar
SDK
SirGabriel
moody
Carlington
bessie
adnapemit
---
matt
Gopher of Pern
kalira
RoadieRich
emlightened
SCUM

Not even bothering putting DJ down. To be honest, I'm struggling with the town side of that list in placing relative ordering. I'll be around before going to bed in the next 45 minutes or so.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
matt96
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:55 pm UTC
Location: A suburb of Boston

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby matt96 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:55 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern
2 serious posts, a bit of questioning and responding, seems to be on the low end of expectations of number of scum and abnormal powers in the game, not really sure what people are reading as scummy(on review appears to be caused by failing to withdraw pressure vote after emlightened's response), although I am interested in hearing more from him tomorrow

Sabrar
Active as always, and although I don't like his reasoning for voting GoP, I wouldn't be as opposed if GoP doesn't show back up before deadline or if Sabrar himself does come back and finds something better before deadline.

jimbobmacdoodle
Claims a power that would be more useful as scum, but does seem to drive a good amount of page 2 discussion, town leaning for now.

moody7277
very early thoughts on other players, highest suspicion of set up including a SK, mistakenly thought Sabrar was tunneling on Jimbob, not sure why Carlington was given slightly town before he had any real contributions, possible scum.

Carlington
Relatively high estimates on Investigative/Protective roles in the game, not sure I like his vote on SDK, but it seems to be at least partially meta based, and I don't have the time to check up on that, so I'll lean town.

adnapemit
Good prodding and responding in the most recent posts, decently likely to be town

SirGabriel
I generally like what I see here, not sure why bessie would call him Indie other than more "fishing for reactions". Probable town

SDK
Certainly is trying to get things to happen, although that doesn't seem to tell me anything, but it seems to match up well enough with the last time I played with him to give him the benefit of the doubt, barely leaning town.

bessie
Seems to me like a second, yet somehow more provocative SDK. The only way I'd be able to tell if she is scum is through process of elimination, and I don't like that.

matt96
Myself, busy with finals through Saturday.

RoadieRich
One post, certainly not helpful to town, and looks to be the most likely lynch today, and I'm not opposed.

I was going through in player list order, but I seem to be almost out of time in case anyone want to respond, I'll cover Karlia and Emlightened when I find the time.

User avatar
emlightened
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere cosy.

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby emlightened » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:56 pm UTC

SDK wrote:Why did you choose not to respond to my call for votes? What did you think of me pointing fingers without basis? Who is scum?

My reason is that this is the first time I've had enough time to do a proper post since Monday, unfortunately.
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Instead I'll go with emlightened:

Vote emlightened

for lack of discussions of players and too much setup speculation. I may change this following my reads of the remaining players, but I doubt it.

And here I thought I was getting out of the habit (series of coincidences and bad timing) of only posting an anlysis after people are suspicious of me on D1. At least you've not gone to bed yet, I guess.


Analysis only up to page 2, because it's taking a while:

TOWN

bessie: Considers FoSsing emlightened and kralia for reading into flavour (and misreading?). Lots of questions and responses, suggests many indies. Suspects me and kalria working together, more comments and much consideration. Probably townie.

moody7277: setup spec assuming SK with backup, stats for dayend after questioning. First analysis but short, accuses Sabrar of tunneling with justification but doesn't push, notes bessie trying to be equally anti-karlia. Somewhat townie.

Sabrar: Starts to rolespec and considers SK, then considers game length. Suggests roadie & kalria scum, pinged by jimbob, invites being voted. Part analysis of players, but not town/scum. Reqursts mod-prod, responds to bessie. Slight town.

SirGabriel: setup spec and asks about role vs alignment, responds to jimbob, more rolespec. Decent ananlysis post and Question for SDK, but little other content. Slightly town.

adnapemit: Some spec on game length. She mentions judging alignment, questions bessie, mentions role ratios. She's not posted much, but doesn't seem lurky. Slight townie.

SDK: Responds to questions and lists scum picks, starts mentioning deadline times and tunnels a bit on scum picks, asks loads of questions. Slightly townie, but unsure.

jimbobmacdoodle: Considers communion role. Scum in few past games, is town apparently, rolespec, starts discussion. justifies and replies to own question. Justifies town claims throwaway, doesn't agree with bessie's suspicion, brief comment on scum strategy which would suggest self townie, so this is slightly pingy. Neutral.

Carlington: Some rolespec, suggests many investigative roles, some analysis but not much overall. Probably neutral.

matt96: Some setup spec, with comment on possibility for many indies. Not really much content, but some setup spec and complaining about D1. Neutral-slightly scummy.

Djehutynakht: No content.

Gopher of Pern: Active lurking (?) and votes emlightened, probably based on disagreeable rolespec. Neutral-slightly scummy.

RoadieRich: Self-votes/unvotes, comments on meta, thinks will die early, FoSses/accuses emlightened. Slightly scummy, besides the lurking.

kalira: Notes cop use for mafia, comments on flavour spec. mentions trouble on making discussion, rolespec, asks a couple of questions. Comments on jimbob's town claim. Somewhat active lurking. Slightly scummy.

SCUM


I find it quite annoying that most of my scum list are lurkers. I'll try to look a bit more in-depth in the next half hour.

Also, I've had about five or six ninjas, but they're not actually relevant to the post content.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby SDK » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:05 pm UTC

@jimbob
Sorry. Thought you mentioned that somewhere along the way, either in-game or by PM. Guess not.

You said of bessie, "She strikes me as very aggressive, probably too much so to be town", but then went on to say she's probably town. Is that just because you have a glut of scum reads that knocked her down the list, or is it just because her reads apparently mirror your own? If the latter, you seemed to have a specific problem with her kalira read, so... what's up with that?

I was also surprised to see you follow bessie onto emlightened after all that. You said yourself, "I don't find anything objectionable on what was posted" which is pretty much where I'm at. emlightened is basically a random lynch as far as I can tell.


@Gopher
You didn't cast a vote, but seemed to indicate it might go to matt or me if you had voted. Which of the two of us would you like to lynch (if those were the only options)?


PEDIT: Ha, everyone getting in before deadline! I like it.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
kalira
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby kalira » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:12 pm UTC

Spoiler for RL:
Spoiler:
Sorry, I meant to be on more last night and today, but I had to do something last night that I had forgotten about, and the vet was ugh today. Kitty had to be sedated and tested for things, so I've been in bed with her for a while just trying to be there until she felt 100% again.


Focusing first on stuff that directly mentions me because, well, time frame.

Bessie seems like she's tunneling on me a bit, as others have noticed. Bessie, that post you had down as active lurk/fluff was written because I happened to still be on when Sabrar responded to my earlier post, and I knew it was something I could respond to fairly quickly. I was trying to NOT write walls of text in every post this game. You didn't like that post, okay. I don't think that makes it fluff, just makes it a response to pretty much everything that had happened between when I posted my longer post and when I wrote it.

FWIW, I did remember reading the word poison in the opening flavor. It's a little weird that you're so suspicious of that post because I said "they died because of what they ate" rather than "it literally says poison in flavor."

SDK wrote:- adnapemit, why did you choose not to respond to my call for votes? What did you think of me pointing fingers without basis? Who is scum?


You asked me to answer these questions too. I didn't respond to your call for votes because I just literally wasn't here to do so. Obviously I don't like pointing of fingers without basis; on this forum, you can't really throw that sort of stuff out there and expect it to be accepted and run with, or not to be called on it. But to be honest, your comment about "any takers?" reminded me of some mafiascum games I read recently, where they throw stuff out like that especially early on and see where discussion goes from it (i.e., it's a deliberate attempt to start conversation). So I kind of just chalked it up to something like that. And if it wasn't a mafiascum-type comment, people were going to call you on it anyway.

As far as "who is scum?", I've said in pretty much every game that I've been in that I don't feel like I'm very good at picking out scum, especially on D1. Bessie is a little tunnely on me, but idk if that makes her scum or mistaken town -- honestly, more likely to put her down as town atm because she's had decent content other than that. I FOS'd Roadie early on because (I thought) he was the last one here and had nothing to say about anything previous. I really don't like that he hasn't come back since then, especially given people calling him out. (Actually, I'd almost say he's more likely to be town than scum given that, since lurking scum would likely come out and say something in the face of multiple people voting him). Dj has zero anything other than to check in at game start. But again, for both RR and Dj, lack of content could be either scum or town in nature. Basically I feel like I do most D1s -- insufficient data or just sheer speculation, and I unfortunately seem to be really good at convincing myself that either side of the town/anti-town equation for most people could be true.

I don't like laying down votes on D1 because I feel like I don't have enough conviction behind my thoughts. I skimmed through, and I think atm RR is up for lynch. I can't say I'm entirely opposed to it, given lack of content, but I kind of wish we were going after someone more based on their content rather than lack of it. (And yes, I know I'm equally to blame for that as anyone else.) I'll do a last minute skim and see if there's anyone I'm willing to put a vote on, but like I said, I'm not really opposed to RR's lynch, as his one post seemed a little off in addition to his having only the one post total.

Unofficial votals:

SDK (1) - Carlington
Carlington (1) - Matt
RoadieRich (3) - SDK, SirG, moody
Dj (1) - em
GoP (1) - Sabrar
em (1) - jimbob
kalira (1) - bessie

all the ninjas.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

User avatar
Gopher of Pern
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:23 pm UTC

I didn't put down a vote because I knew I'd be here before deadline, and I saw matt was posting.

Also, I have no idea what the votals are atm.

Out of the two of you, I would prefer matt, simply because you will drive more discussion if you are town.

Time to put my money down

Vote: matt

Their post didn't inspire me with much confidence.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

User avatar
emlightened
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere cosy.

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby emlightened » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:32 pm UTC

Onto page 3, I guess.

Carlington's request for bessie to respond with why she's accusing him seem like a bit of an overreaction, and is possibly trying to throw suspicion back on her, with some back-and-forth about the accusation following. This is then followed by a list of reads, which seems unobjectionable, so I think I'm going for neutral/townie.

Sabrar doesn't have much new, aside from an analysis and comments and justifications against bessie, but I think I'm confident enough in him to put him as probably town.

bessie seems to be quite back-and-forth, with most of her recent content being between individual players and again suggestive of many non-town/scum. I don't quite see Kalria's writing talent anywhere, though I'm guessing that's from elsewhere? Not got a problem with fishing for answers; probably town.

adnapemit is still not posting much, so I think I'll say she's lurky. No new content, but probably neutral.

More soon.

PS: I hope it's not like last year's game, where over half the scum lurked for over half the game.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:33 pm UTC

Getting tired so will go to bed after this post:
SDK wrote:@jimbob
You said of bessie, "She strikes me as very aggressive, probably too much so to be town", but then went on to say she's probably town. Is that just because you have a glut of scum reads that knocked her down the list, or is it just because her reads apparently mirror your own? If the latter, you seemed to have a specific problem with her kalira read, so... what's up with that?
Sorry, that should have been "too much so to be SCUM". At this stage of the game, I'm not convinced that a scum player wants to stand out so much by going after specific players as aggressively.
SDK wrote:I was also surprised to see you follow bessie onto emlightened after all that. You said yourself, "I don't find anything objectionable on what was posted" which is pretty much where I'm at. emlightened is basically a random lynch as far as I can tell.
The main issue I had with emlightened is that she had posted quite a lot, but (ignoring her most recent post) had posted basically entirely on setup speculation. What she had posted wasn't bad per se, it's more what she hadn't posted.

Urrghh... I hate having to re-evaluate my vote this late on in a day, in both RL days and Game Days.

And... just as I'm composing this post, a third of my scummy reads posts a wall of analysis. Great.

On matt's reads, nothing stands out to me as a problem. Will look at in more detail on D2 probably.

Quickly scanning through emlightened's post - she has kalira as scummiest (if I've interpreted her list correctly), but is still voting for lurking-DJ. Odd. Also most of her "reads" are just a summary of posts with a conclusion on the end, with very little actually explaining the conclusion. I'm not going to see a response before going to bed, but emlightened, if you're reading this, would you mind explaining a little bit more why you have who you have as scummiest players?

Kalira's post has a lot of words, but actually doesn't say much (I know, pot calling kettle etc). I don't like how most of it is making excuses though (bad scumdar D1, don't like voting D1 etc).

I need to make a decision. Although I have roadierich as high up on the scum list, I'm not a fan of D1 lurker lynches if there are other people with equally objectionable content, because they may suddenly come out of the woodwork (see matt, kalira...) once they have more time. Ultimately, I think my reasons for the vote on emlightened are still somewhat justified - even if she couldn't have posted a full reads lists, surely she could have posted at least a few comments on the current goings on, given she'd made other posts. Given a lack of a clear alternative, I'm going to leave it there.

Ninja'ed again, but I really don't have the energy for any more updating of reads.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Madge » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:48 pm UTC

Day one ends in 10 minutes, and then we will go into night for 24 hours, or until everyone's action has been received - whichever comes first.


Current Votals:

Carlington (1) - Matt96
RoadieRich (3) - SDK, SirG, moody
Emlightened (1) - jimbob
Djehutynakht (1) - emlightened
GoP (1) - Sabrar
SDK (1) - Carlington
Kalira (1) - Bessie
Matt (1) - GoP
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
emlightened
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere cosy.

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby emlightened » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:59 pm UTC

SirGabriel just comments on liking recent content and asks a question. Just to clarify, your list is pretty much the same as last time, right? Slightly town.

Moody pops in to say that kalria's not scummy, and votes Roadie; something more would have been nicer. Slightly townie.

SDK justifies his read on Roadie and then comes out with a full analysis, following up on asking jimbob about why he voted emlightened. Sticking with slightly townie.

Gopher of Pern seems mainly to have listed content levels, and complain about hiding behind text-walls, without actually judging anybody as town or scum. Don't really like the lack of content, but a bit more understandible now. Still, it seems like an excuse for lurking, so moderately scummy.

matt's analysis doesn't seem helpful, and I'm not really confident in anything else he's done. Moderately scummy.

kalria's post ahs lots of content, which is mainly replies, but seems in-depth and well-thought out. Between scummy and neutral.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm not going to see a response before going to bed, but emlightened, if you're reading this, would you mind explaining a little bit more why you have who you have as scummiest players?
For the list up there, it's a combination of lurking and not really finding anyone else scummy, unfortunately. I didn't vote at the time because I wanted to go more in-depth and vote here.

Vote: Gopher of Pern
For lurking, not providing helpful content, and making excuses to lurk.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

User avatar
matt96
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:55 pm UTC
Location: A suburb of Boston

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby matt96 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:03 am UTC

Vote: RoadieRich
just to avoid last minute vote rigging shenanigans

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:52 am UTC

Final Votals:

RoadieRich (4) - SDK, SirG, moody. Matt96
Emlightened (1) - jimbob
GoP (2) - Sabrar, emlightened
SDK (1) - Carlington
Kalira (1) - Bessie
Matt (1) - GoP

Roadie Rich has been lynched. Please get your night actions in in the next 24 hours. Flavour will follow in a few hours.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:18 am UTC

Kylie Xenakis-King showed her parents' prone bodies to her husband, Gary Clarke-Dyer (Gazza to his mates). They quickly phoned 000, and the ambos came rolling in, sirens blazing.

Gazza herded the kids to the back yard to see if they could find any reindeer footprints (eventually, they would, after Gazza snuck behind their marri tree with a stick and quickly scratched some in whilst the kids were otherwise occupied).

Meanwhile, Kylie watched as her parents were rushed into the ambulance on stretchers; the ambos said that they'd be right, but from the grim looks they gave, Kylie wasn't so sure.

With a sigh, she went to the fridge and started rustling together the bits and bobs needed to put together a good morning tea spread. After all, it
was Christmas morning, and they were going to meet some of their friends for a quick glass of champers (hey, if there's ever a day for drinking at 10am, it's Chrissie!) a fruit and cheese plate (with quandong jam), and, of course, a spread including honey joys, white christmas and chocolate crackles and hopefully Kylie's friend Shazza's famous mini pavs!!!!

She got all the things together, grabbed a couple of bottles of Pasito, and then went to the back yard to fetch the rest of her family.

She was shocked by what she found; Uncle Dazza was sitting on the bench, swiping left and right on Tinder, whilst Gazza was left to supervise all the kids by himself. It was not going well; a couple of the littlest were happily oohing and aahing at the "reindeer footprints" that Gazza had found, but even the most attentive father could not watch the Brady-Bunch sized group of brothers, sisters, and cousins that had descended on the back yard during the chaos.

Indeed, poor little Richo - he was always the weirdest of the group of kids - he'd been cornered by a few of his cousins, who had accused him of swapping the labels on their pressies! Kylie rocked up just in time to see the shoving begin, and with that Richo was on the ground, covered in dirt, and bawling his little eyes out. She rushed up to him, picked him up, and started trying to calm her nephew down.

One of Kylie's kids immediately started dobbing: "Muuuuum! Richo swapped the tags on our toys! He said that he got the Power Ranger AND the Transformer! But I know Santa wouldn't do that because that's not FAIR!"

Kylie was, of course, shocked by this revelation. "But didn't santa bring YOU a Power Ranger, and bring your sister a Transformer, too?"

The kid shook his head. Kylie's eyes darkened.

"Richo! That's not what Christmas is about!" She scolded. "DAZZA!" She shouted for Richo's Dad to come; he grunted, picked himself up off the chair, and went to see what all the commotion was about.

"Your son has been stealing his cousin's toys again, Daz. Why don't you stay here with him and teach him the value of family?" She said darkly, as he absent-mindedly continued swiping on his app.

And with that, Kylie rounded up the rest of the family and everyone headed off to the beach. Everyone, that is, except for poor little Richo, who would have to spend Christmas alone in the house...


RoadieRich has been lynched. He was a surfer dude and a member of the mafia.

Role PM:
Spoiler:
Role Name - Surfer Dude

Role Description -
So, dude, like you totally flew all the way down from Cali to catch some gnarly waves. You heard that Aussies are into that Foster's beer, so you bought a couple of six-packs; enough to share cause you're a mellow dude. It'll probably take you and your new bro all night to finish it off, after all those are some totally righteous cans that beer comes in. Plus, they might totally have a killer hangover afterwards!

Role Mechanics - You are a Roleblocker. In addition, once per game you can choose to give someone so much to drink they end up so hungover that they are unable to vote the next day.


Night is being processed so night actions cannot be changed.

(This is why there's a role reveal at the day end post. Normally the lynched player's role will be revealed on the following morning, but the flavour reads better this way and since the night actions are already locked it doesn't make a difference to gameplay.)

Those who need them will be getting their night result PMs hopefully soon.

Hopefully I will be able to finish the day start flavour soon too!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:51 am UTC

And so, the families piled into their various cars and went towards the beach, four kids squeezed into the back seat in two of the cars.

Ten short minutes later, they piled out into the already-bustling beach car park. Kylie breathed a sigh of relief; everyone had made it there in one piece. The kids hadn't started any more fights, and most importantly of all they had cold champagne and she could see Shazza's portable marquee already set up. Before long, the adults were sitting on their fold-out chairs, enjoying their champers and watching as the kids built sandcastles. They spoke of the faint dread of the political discussions they would have to avoid during their various upcoming Christmas lunches - can you
believe that one politician's stance on how an onion is best enjoyed? (i.e. raw, with its skin on) - though no sooner had Gazza opined on what crazy person would eat a raw onion with its skin on than he and Kylie found out that Shazza was a dyed-in-the-wool raw-skin-on onion connoisseur. Things were a little awkward for rest of the morning.

Fortunately, something happened to distract Gazza and Shazza from that horrible political debate - a few of the kids went up to them and, after having a couple of chocolate crackles, mentioned that two of their siblings had wandered off with kids from another family, saying that the
other family sounded like they were having a BETTER christmas lunch, that their Dad had given them a hoverboard and who wants to go to stupid old Grandma's for Christmas lunch anyway?

Try as they might, Gazza, Shazza and Kylie couldn't find two of the children anywhere.

Kylie smiled a grim smile; suddenly, peoples' thoughts on the proper way to consume vegetables no longer seemed to matter. Gazza patted her on the back encouragingly and said the kids would show up.

Besides, time was running short - it was time to head to lunch!


Kalira has died during the night. She was a gremlin in a santa hat, aligned with mafia.

SirGabriel has died during the night. He was a White Boomer, aligned with town.

Role PMs:
Spoiler:
Role Name - Gremlin in a Santa hat.

Role Description -
You were once a cute and fluffy furball but now you are an ugly green monster, since you found some biscuits that someone had left out for Santa after they had gone to bed. It's not all bad news for you, ‘tis the season to be merry and you have found a new Santa hat which looks grouse on! Now you will spread festive mischief and mayhem to whoever you meet.

Role Mechanics - Each night you may target one player and redirect any actions they take to another randomly selected player. If your target doesn’t target anyone, then they will be killed by your attempts to enact a festive prank upon them.


Spoiler:
Role Name - White Boomer

Role Description -
♩♩♫"Six white boomers, snow white boomers,
Racing Santa Claus through the blazing sun..."♫♩♫
In preparation for his Australian run, Santa has got you a gig covering night shifts for a local bus route ("Neville's gone off on long service, so we need a ring-in").
But the days are stinking bloody hot this summer, and the nights are no better. You don't always feel like shuttling bogans around, and your species has a reputation for being avid boxers, so some nights you chuck a sickie so you can go join in on the local underground fighting ring. You've got a perfect streak of knock-outs going, and you're pretty sure they've all been against other fighters...or at least most of them.


Mechanics - Each night, you can target two players and they will be switched so that any power targeted at one will affect the other, and vice versa. If you choose not to do this, you can instead target one player to rend dizzy from a punch in the head, causing any action they used to be targeted at random.


It is now Day 2. There are 11 players alive; 6 to lynch.

Day 2 ends in about five days.
Last edited by Madge on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Sabrar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:03 am UTC

I'm sure Madge is rejoiced by the N1 results as dealing with multiple redirectors and roleblocker can be quite the pain.

I'm glad that RoadieRich turned out to be scum, though I prefer to have the mods take care of the lurkers so we might not need to 'waste' a lynch on them. With SirGabriel being Town there is a good chance that RR wasn't bussed at all, though I'm not discarding that possibility just yet.

In other news unless the Mafia kill was redirected to kalira (by SirGabriel or a third redirector) there is indeed at least another killing power in the game.

@Madge: if days generally last 4 days with weekend counting half, shouldn't the deadline be one day earlier? That way we could maybe squeeze in D3 before Christmas as well.

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Carlington » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:13 am UTC

Alright, I guess I've learned that policies like Lynch All Lurkers exist for a reason - they work! I think we can assume kalira's death not to have been due to scum (unless there are multiple redirectors floating around), but in any case we know there is at least one non-mafia-aligned NK power in the game.

What are everyone's thoughts about where the other scum vote/s would have ended up? Looking at the final vote distribution, I think it's by no means a given that the remaining scum were on RR's wagon with so many other places to hide. I think it's more likely that scum would be on one of the single-vote wagons. I'm also noting that the only player with no vote down not otherwise accounted for was adnapemit. (DJ is covered enough by RL for the moment, imo)

So I'm eyeballing adnapemit, jimbob, bessie, and GoP on the basis of votes, and potentially also emlightened for her last minute vote on GoP, as I could buy that being a late attempt to lure another vote and defensively tie the votals.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:15 am UTC

Sorry again guys that I've been inactive. Really busy (and honestly, I kinda hate D1) but I hope to be back and active soon.


On that note though--2 mafia are dead. Which seems like a very good start.

I assume there's a Serial Killer judging by the extra death, and that they maybe got Kalira? I suppose a vig (1-shot) is also possible? Or maybe a defensive role. No idea.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - A Very Aussie Christmas

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:36 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
@Madge: if days generally last 4 days with weekend counting half, shouldn't the deadline be one day earlier? That way we could maybe squeeze in D3 before Christmas as well.


Whoops, I miscounted! If people don't object to it, I'm happy to do a day earlier.

Because having an earlier deadline is always "better", I will change the deadline to be 5 days from the day start post, and if people want the one day extension we'll grant it.

I will go edit the post now!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 74 guests