Diablo Mafia - Day 6 (The End)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

freezeblade

Re: Diablo Mafia - Day 2 (Bloody Morning)

Postby freezeblade » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:35 pm UTC

Looks to me like Sabar hard-core buddying with znirk, and convincing everyone to change over to a lurker lynch (safe lynch) to save a team-mate or someone they know they can use later. If we believe that Znirk is a survivor, who can align with town or scum to win, then Sabar's buddying looks a lot like hedging bets to court favor, for recruitment later (either in all but name, or though a game mechanic).

vote: Sabar
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:47 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Looks to me like Sabar hard-core buddying with znirk, and convincing everyone to change over to a lurker lynch (safe lynch)

Where do you see Sabrar convincing everyone? He was voting for Gopher of Pern before the bandwagon.

I was convinced by jimbobmacdoodle.
Laserguy was convinced by Sabrar, but only to prevent a tie.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:51 pm UTC

Sabrar did decide to save Znirk though. He could have broken the tie by voting for Znirk instead of JDU.
I just don't see how he was convincing everyone.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:17 pm UTC

sorry for the misspelling, btw.

vote: sabrar

He's the one who pointed out (10 mins after official totals, 30 mins before deadline) that JDU could still tie up the votes, begging for another vote. This allows him to both look townie (by seeming to discourage a possible no-lynch), as well as hedging bets to save Znirk (by making the gap between these votes wider).

If JustDanceUnlimited had showed up just in time to tie it, after lurking for the entire D1, they would likely be lynch target #1 today.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:24 pm UTC

I had started to suspect Sabrar toward nightfall, but not enough to vote him. Then I got on like 30 minutes after nightfall, so couldn't vote anything. I'm really not sure what I would have voted if I had had the chance.

I don't have any information from the night.
Image <-- Evil experiment

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:32 pm UTC

I'm just trying to parse JDU's role info. He was basically a cop, right? With an extra one-shot ability to reveal the number of kills that happened one night?

Really wish he would have decided to actually play.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:33 pm UTC

So I am fairly confident that there are hidden mechanics in th :twisted: e game. I got an unexpected piece of information last night, which confirms that Znirk is Red Vex and is a Survivor. I don't know why I got the info, but I'd guess that it's because I targeted him last night.

Just to be clear, my power isn't investigative, so unless the mod lied about my ability, I don't expect to get similar information on subsequent nights. I'm not ready to claim it just yet, but may do later.

I was kicking myself at the end of yesterday when I perhaps naively suggested Znirk should switch votes, and would feel even worse if I hadn't got last night's info, given JDU's reveal. At least I'm fairly confident now that he isn't a direct threat and there are better targets for a vote, hopefully.

I'm willing to let LaserGuy and Znirk pass on their votes for a townie, the former because of preventing no lynch and the latter because of self-defence. I'll need to look at the others bit more when I have more time.

@Znirk - did you get any useful info from last night's action?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:35 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:This allows him to both look townie
Or I could be simply Town not wanting a no-lynch, no? Also accusing others for going for a safe-lynch is rich from someone who conveniently didn't place a vote.
I went against conventional wisdom multiple times before, didn't really think that it would get me lynched. As I've explained before (regarding Znirk) scummy-looking players should not be allowed to live until the late-game, so I accept my lynch if that is the majority's decision. Hopefully my flip will clear Znirk and you won't make any more mislynches.
In case I want to claim indie in a future game please educate me about the difference between a day1, post1 Miller-claim and day1, post1 indie claim. I get that lynching the indie is 'safe' from Town's perspective, but why is one more believable than the other?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:37 pm UTC

Didn't get ninja-notice. So looks like I was right for once.

And I have no results to share.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:41 pm UTC

No idea why there's a devil glyph there...

JDU's second ability suggests that there are at least 2 killing roles out there. Will think of the implications some more.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:47 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:So I am fairly confident that there are hidden mechanics in th :twisted: e game. I got an unexpected piece of information last night, which confirms that Znirk is Red Vex and is a Survivor. I don't know why I got the info, but I'd guess that it's because I targeted him last night.

Can you give a bit more detail about how you received this information (flavor-wise, at least)? Do you think that the source is trustworthy?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:26 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:So I am fairly confident that there are hidden mechanics in th :twisted: e game. I got an unexpected piece of information last night, which confirms that Znirk is Red Vex and is a Survivor. I don't know why I got the info, but I'd guess that it's because I targeted him last night.

Can you give a bit more detail about how you received this information (flavor-wise, at least)? Do you think that the source is trustworthy?
Apparently I had a conversation which convinced me that Red Vex was just looking to get out of town alive, or something to that effect. The way it's all phrased etc suggests it wasn't some kind of possible misinformation (e.g. It's not an anonymous message) and I'm fairly confident it wasn't something Znirk targeted me with.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:58 pm UTC

One negative - There are likely more than 2 killing powers out there.

One positive - only one town dead over night.

So either one or more kills were withheld, or were blocked. One is likely to be a Vig, as vig's are not likely to go guns blazing N1. Other could be conditional, or SK. Possibly even delayed.

Looking at the people who wanted to lynch JDU, my suspicions are mostly on plytho and Sabrar. plytho was 3rd on the wagon, and we all know scum is third. And Sabrar, well, I had my reasons from the previous day, and they haven't really changed.

Still suspicious of Carlington. They jumped on the Znirk bandwagon too easily.

Problem is there are too many people on 'easy' lynches - Znirk because of a dubious indie claim, and JDU for simply not being involved. At least most people voted...
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:10 pm UTC

SirGabriel has volunteered to replace ahippo; thank you, SirGabriel.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:57 pm UTC

Nothing to report. No time for a full post. The stuff with JDU's lynch was very odd. I'm not sure what to think yet.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 am UTC

I definitely did not expect to be the N1 target (not that I could have done anything about it, since there's a rule against self-targeting), but now I'm back, sort of.

I have no idea why ahippo chose to claim his character name.

I don't like how jimbob and freezeblade (and possibly also Madge, I'm not entirely sure how to interpret her last post) are getting so suspicious of everyone who voted for JDU. Just because he turned out to be a townie doesn't mean it was scummy to vote for the player who had absolutely no content all day. I think it's likely that at least one of the six players on that wagon is scum, but it's also likely that at least one of the seven living players who weren't on the wagon is scum.

Regarding Znirk's role, I see five possibilities: either (1) jimbob's information is accurate (Znirk is Survivor), or (2) jimbob was given misinformation by Znirk (Znirk is anti-town), or (3) jimbob was given misinformation by someone other than Znirk (either Znirk is scum or someone is spreading a lot of wine), or (4) jimbob is lying to protect Znirk (Znirk and jimbob are both scum), or (5) jimbob is lying to spread wine (jimbob is anti-town). 1 seems the most likely, and 4 seems very unlikely. 5 seems like a bad strategy, so I think we can rule it out. But at this point I can't rule out the possibility that either scum!Znirk or one of his teammates sent jimbob misinformation, or than SK!Znirk can convince anyone who targets him that he's a survivor.

Znirk, any idea why jimbob received that message?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:53 am UTC

Honestly, that message makes me rather more suspicious of Znirk than anything else.

The only thing that really makes sense to me if Znirk has some sort of ability that allows him to provide a report to anybody that targets him. Could be one shot or not, I suppose. That really doesn't seem like a power that would fit with a survivor though. For that matter, doesn't seem like a power that would fit with a tracker, either. It is also suspiciously convenient that this message would show up right after Znirk came within a vote of being lynched.

It's possible that scum!jimbob is trying to save scum!Znirk, but this seems like a very odd way to go about it. I suppose some third party could have an ability that leaves a message for anyone who targets Znirk, but this seems... kind of complicated.

The simplest solution, IMHO, is that Znirk somehow sent the message himself, in which case, I don't see any particular reason to trust it.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:03 am UTC

EBWOP: Actually, the idea that Znirk has both a falseclaim and an ability to passively direct attention away from him is REALLY suspicious to me. This seems like an awful lot of methods of diversion for somebody who wins by just staying out of the way.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:28 am UTC

Wow. So we lynched the cop, and scum managed to whack the doc? All I hope now is that Dimochka's end-of-day comment about townsfolk hoping to remain mentally intact isn't a pointer to recruiter-scum.

freezeblade wrote:I also have nothing to claim from last night. However, biiiiiig ole FOS on the people who jumped on the lynch of JustDanceUnlimited last minute, some without much explanation at all. I would like explanations from everyone who was on that bandwagon.

Not sure you're including me in this, but for the record and as explained at the time: As a survivor, if I will get lynched otherwise, then I want to and technically even have to make use of any bandwagon I can find, even if I'm sure the target is town (which was far from clear in this case anyway).

plytho wrote:@Znirk: Who did you target last night and what was your result?

Action failed, I could not track the target I had submitted (or any other target). The mod PM flavour as I read it suggests that I was roleblocked, or possibly that the interaction with Jimbobmacdoodle (see below) derailed my plans for the night: from the way it's described it seems unlikely that I failed because my target was jailed or similarly unavailable for tracking (although of course they may have been, in addition to my own issues). It's made clear that I wasn't able to even try to track; it's not the case that I did track and the target simply didn't go anywhere.

Given this no-result situation, I prefer not to give hints this early in the day on who I'm suspicious of. I'll give my N1 target a bit further into D2.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Apparently I had a conversation which convinced me that Red Vex was just looking to get out of town alive, or something to that effect. The way it's all phrased etc suggests it wasn't some kind of possible misinformation (e.g. It's not an anonymous message) and I'm fairly confident it wasn't something Znirk targeted me with.

I can confirm Jimbob's statement from my side: That conversation was with Red Vex herself, i.e. my character. (The "conversation at night" thing is a fictional conversation between characters - mere flavour framing the information. There's no night chat between players going on here.) I received the same mod PM (as in, we're both in the recipients list on one and the same message), and just as Jimbobmcdoodle suspects I had not targeted him, nor done anything else that could have caused an interaction with him, nor did I have any reason to expect anything of the sort. Since he claims that he targeted me, I guess this triggered one of those secret role aspects Dimochka has been threatening us with.

I can also confirm that it doesn't seem to be possible that this is false information fed by either of ourselves or any third party. The information is given in the form the mod/narrator stating facts, not in direct quotes from the conversation (which might be character lies), nor in potentially false messages delivered to the characters (as opposed to a PM delivered to the players).

One useful effect of this "conversation at night" message is that it not only confirms to Jimbob that I'm a survivor: it also explicitly tells me that Jimbob is not scum. Likely town as I read it, although that is not specified entirely clearly. In summary, the PM says (in 3rd person omniscient) that Jimbob's character couldn't sleep because he was worrying over the threat to the community from demons.

SirGabriel wrote:Znirk, any idea why jimbob received that message?

See above: My best guess is that my role has a hidden part to it which triggers this sort of scene with the first person to target me. But that guess is just a guess: I didn't expect this to happen, nor do I see any hints in that direction on rereading my role PM.

LaserGuy wrote:EBWOP: Actually, the idea that Znirk has both a falseclaim and an ability to passively direct attention away from him is REALLY suspicious to me. This seems like an awful lot of methods of diversion for somebody who wins by just staying out of the way.

Aaaaaand yet again: The false claim is a false claim about my character name and nothing else. It's nothing to do with my being a survivor, or a tracker. For all I can tell, it's pure flavour, intended to prevent me from claiming the Red Vex name when that character is know to have made some sort of pact with the demons.

Similarly, the idea that the night conversation thing was caused by a hidden part of my role is pure speculation. It might also be a hidden aspect of Jimbob's role rather than mine, or somebody else targeting us with a reveal-your-inner-selves-to-each-other spell, or something else entirely. So, in summary, uh ... chill?

Gnah. Sorry to hog the spotlight yet again here; but this time I very much blame Dimochka :)

It's now 20 past 2 am. Bed. I should have time for some actual content (i.e. other than about myself) within the next 12 hours.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:54 am UTC

Znirk wrote: I received the same mod PM (as in, we're both in the recipients list on one and the same message)

jimbob, can you confirm this?

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:38 am UTC

Thank you SirGabriel for replacing.

Sabrar wrote: Hopefully my flip will clear Znirk and you won't make any more mislynches.
Isn’t this a little premature? You have like one vote.

SirGabriel wrote:Regarding Znirk's role, I see five possibilities: either (1) jimbob's information is accurate (Znirk is Survivor), or (2) jimbob was given misinformation by Znirk (Znirk is anti-town), or (3) jimbob was given misinformation by someone other than Znirk (either Znirk is scum or someone is spreading a lot of wine), or (4) jimbob is lying to protect Znirk (Znirk and jimbob are both scum), or (5) jimbob is lying to spread wine (jimbob is anti-town).
Or Znirk recruited jimbob and now they’re both cult. Convenient how they both claim to have a night interaction that clears the other. Maybe they don't have chat.

Carlington, do you have anything to claim, or are you going to lurk all day again?

I’ll try to get back to this tonight. My work is going to be unexpectedly busy this week.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:22 am UTC

The townsfolk spent the remainder of the morning examining Pepin's lifeless body looking for clues regarding who might have targeted him. It was all fruitless until Gillian came running back. "I stopped by Pepin's house to see if I could find anything, and I found his scheduler. Maybe it can help us out?"
Unfortunately, further inspection of the book yielded little to help find the murderer. However, it did point to one thing - Pepin had prepared a healing salve for someone named Madge last night.

I've been made aware of a potential issue that I didn't think of earlier. So for the sake of transparency, I wanted to make everyone aware that Pepin (SirGabriel's first iteration) targeted Madge on N1. Do what you wish with this information.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:07 am UTC

Znirk wrote:Action failed, I could not track the target I had submitted (or any other target). The mod PM flavour as I read it suggests that I was roleblocked, or possibly that the interaction with Jimbobmacdoodle (see below) derailed my plans for the night: from the way it's described it seems unlikely that I failed because my target was jailed or similarly unavailable for tracking (although of course they may have been, in addition to my own issues). It's made clear that I wasn't able to even try to track; it's not the case that I did track and the target simply didn't go anywhere.

So there's no way to verify your tracker ability then? Interesting.

Aaaaaand yet again: The false claim is a false claim about my character name and nothing else. It's nothing to do with my being a survivor, or a tracker. For all I can tell, it's pure flavour, intended to prevent me from claiming the Red Vex name when that character is know to have made some sort of pact with the demons.

Yeah, but your character determines your role and abilities, to some extent or other. SirGabriel turned out to be Pepin, who is the healer in Diablo, and is the doctor here. JDU was Cain the Elder, and their abilities were similar to Cain the Elder in Diablo and they fit the flavor of that NPC. The character from my role PM, likewise, has appropriate abilities for their flavor. Other people had expressed similar sentiments in D1. The fact that YOUR claims about your character does not seem to fit their flavor, I find very problematic. Likewise, the claim that your character "just wants to get out of town alive" would seem to contradict what you said was in your flavor text, namely that your character is "some sort of undead being out for personal revenge".

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: I don't know why I got the info, but I'd guess that it's because I targeted him last night.

Did this night interaction also block your ability? Or are you a roleblocker?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:49 am UTC

I'm here and reading, I have nothing to claim from last night. Posting on a phone isn't great from a pulling sources/analysis post so I'll put something more comprehensive down in about an hour once I'm home. And no, bessie, no plans to do any major lurking today. Your more aggressive self is only fun when I'm not on the receiving end :P
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:39 am UTC

Phone-post for now, details later.

@bessie: you're probably right about it being premature, I just got frustrated because of things. Apologies.

Gopher of Pern might be Jester.

If I had to make a wild guess I would say there is an even-night SK in the game.

LaserGuy looks scummier for pushing Znirk and role-fishing.

However Znirk claiming being blocked is interesting to say the least. Will definitely revisit this (but probably not today).

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 am UTC

I can confirm that Znirk was in the same PM recipients list, so knows what he said he knows about me. I didn't notice this previously, but I now see very little way this would be misinformation. About the only way I can think of it being so is if a scum (presumably) player can give two people false information about each other, and I'm not sure that even fits with the PM wording either.

I am not a roleblocker. Am currently waiting on a response to a mod question about the interaction last night, but assuming that I get no further info from the response, I will claim my active ability to hopefully clarify things a little (or not as the case may be...).

Am arriving at work now. Will look at things more later.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:04 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:

So either one or more kills were withheld, or were blocked. One is likely to be a Vig, as vig's are not likely to go guns blazing N1. Other could be conditional, or SK. Possibly even delayed.

This jumps out at me immediately on reading the thread thus far today - how in the world do you figure that there's likely two NKs from one NK taking place N1? What info do you have to base that off?

Also, I've seen a couple of remarks (although passing ones) about my voting without a heavy justification. I'd like explain that nice and early as well - yesterday, as some of you noticed, I was mad inactive. I didn't have much time to devote to heavy analysis, and ended up struggling and rushing to get analysis done by deadline. As such, the scummiest thing that stood out to me yesterday was Znirk's claims, which didn't make any sense to me at all. I smelt a rat, and so voted accordingly.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:16 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:plytho was 3rd on the wagon, and we all know scum is third.
No, we don't. I'm tired of ranting again and again every single time this nonsense comes up. If you're making such generalized statements at least have the decency to check the game immediately preceding this one. Look at the D1 votals of WoT2 where the voting happened quite similarly to this one. You will see that you yourself were the third on bessie's wagon, later matt96 was the third on lurker!Diemo's wagon and neither of you were scum. You declared previously that you're unwilling to look at previous games to learn about your fellow players, but now you're bringing up unsubstantiated 'facts' that should rely on past experience.
Together with your earlier posts I just don't see how you intend us to take you seriously and that's why I'm inclined to believe that you're a Jester.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:33 am UTC

Real life issue: My mother died last night, not totally unexpected, as she has been fighting cancer for years, but still a fairly sudden series of worsenings of her conditions. Which means that my mind is not really in this. I will try to limp along, but if you had someone to replace, that might be preferable.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:50 am UTC

@mpolo: my condolences

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:02 am UTC

Mpolo, I'm very sorry for your loss.

LaserGuy wrote:Likewise, the claim that your character "just wants to get out of town alive" would seem to contradict what you said was in your flavor text, namely that your character is "some sort of undead being out for personal revenge".

Quick post before closer look: Sorry, I phrased this confusingly / left out some crucial bits because my focus at the time was on pointing out the existence of mod-provided false claims. The full story is that Red Vex made a demonic pact to come back to the land of the living and avenge her own death, but found that her killer had already died in a booze-fueled accident. I am dead yet still around because I wanted revenge, but it turns out I don't actually have any revengery to do.

Or, if you're trying to get at the other inconsistency: Yes, the mod PM from last night does talk about my wanting to get out of town "in a living state"*. Presumably, then, undead and not yet re-killed is alive enough for colloquial purposes.

*see general rule 6 about paraphrasing and never quoting PMs. The mod did actually use that word though.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:20 am UTC

Carlington wrote:
Gopher of Pern wrote:

This jumps out at me immediately on reading the thread thus far today - how in the world do you figure that there's likely two NKs from one NK taking place N1? What info do you have to base that off?

See JDU's ability.

Sabrar wrote:
Gopher of Pern wrote:plytho was 3rd on the wagon, and we all know scum is third.
No, we don't. I'm tired of ranting again and again every single time this nonsense comes up. If you're making such generalized statements at least have the decency to check the game immediately preceding this one. Look at the D1 votals of WoT2 where the voting happened quite similarly to this one. You will see that you yourself were the third on bessie's wagon, later matt96 was the third on lurker!Diemo's wagon and neither of you were scum. You declared previously that you're unwilling to look at previous games to learn about your fellow players, but now you're bringing up unsubstantiated 'facts' that should rely on past experience.
Together with your earlier posts I just don't see how you intend us to take you seriously and that's why I'm inclined to believe that you're a Jester.

Well, if you think I'm a jester, it won't get me lynched! :)

But seriously, it's called applying pressure. I like to see how people react to what I say. Sometimes it's effective, sometimes it's not. It rarely is on day 1 (see last game with bessie). But it can be more effective later on (see last game with yourself, although I should have followed through then.) It also happens that yourself and plytho had what I feel the least plausible reasons for voting for JDU.

My point about going through previous games was more a practical one. I don't think reading through games that are over, and that I did not participate in, to be a fruitful use of my time. One can easily get the wrong misconceptions. Plus, I have played with most of the people here on and off over the years.

I'm not understanding what you mean by my earlier posts. You seem to like attacking me.

I do agree that laserguy seems scummier for pushing Znirk. If Znirk is a survivor, we can basically ignore them, until we have information otherwise. But we seem to be focused on them again. So a big FOS on SirGabriel and LaserGuy for harping on about it.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:36 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:But seriously, it's called applying pressure. I like to see how people react to what I say. Sometimes it's effective, sometimes it's not.
We had the same conversation in Secret Santa (with both of us Town) and my opinion hasn't changed, Town should not be lying (or offering false reads in this case) just to apply pressure.
Gopher of Pern wrote:It also happens that yourself and plytho had what I feel the least plausible reasons for voting for JDU.
My vote was to break a tie because NL is bad for us. You call this implausible? Are we playing the same game?
Gopher of Pern wrote:I'm not understanding what you mean by my earlier posts.
Mentioning to vote freezeblade because of bad RNG, not reading the rules and suspecting Griswold because of Diablo 2, introducing WINE for unknown reasons.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:40 am UTC

I have nothing to claim from last night.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:The way it's all phrased etc suggests it wasn't some kind of possible misinformation (e.g. It's not an anonymous message) and I'm fairly confident it wasn't something Znirk targeted me with.
Why are you so confident?

bessie wrote:
SirGabriel wrote:Regarding Znirk's role, I see five possibilities: either (1) jimbob's information is accurate (Znirk is Survivor), or (2) jimbob was given misinformation by Znirk (Znirk is anti-town), or (3) jimbob was given misinformation by someone other than Znirk (either Znirk is scum or someone is spreading a lot of wine), or (4) jimbob is lying to protect Znirk (Znirk and jimbob are both scum), or (5) jimbob is lying to spread wine (jimbob is anti-town).
Or Znirk recruited jimbob and now they’re both cult.
Unless someone claims to have cause the conversation between jimbob and Znirk I think it's possible that Znirk could have recruited or is controlling jimbob. If it was a hidden ability of Znirk's then it is odd it reveals Znirk's character. Znirk could have targeted jimbob or it could be a defensive ability which made jimbob have to protect Znirk. It could also be jimbob's ability that might have affected Znirk also making them dependent on each other.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:41 am UTC

My thought-process regarding JDU's kill-counting power: This is an ability that should be used N1 right away as it's very unlikely that any scum with kill will hold back. So given normal proceedings we should know by D2 whether SK is in the game. That seems very useful so what could have been the logic behind the inclusion of this ability and why was it added to the Cop role specifically which is already one of the strongest ones in the game? Flavor-wise I think anybody could have discovered that scroll so it would have made more sense in my opinion to give it to a weaker role such as Watcher.
Therefore I would expect some 'bastardry' going on with it, not necessarily that it gives an incorrect result, rather that it would be misleading in some way. This could potentially make us doubt the Cop's claimed results in the future when this other information was 'proven' to be incorrect. That might lead to a more interesting game (or at least that's what I envision dimochka was hoping when he created the role).
My best guess would be the above mentioned even-night SK, with possibly another type of action on odd-nights (to provide false-claim).
The above relies heavily on guessing the mod's intention, something which I have a very poor track record with. However I don't think this will influence my reads too much (at least for now) so there's no harm in trying.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:45 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
Gopher of Pern wrote:But seriously, it's called applying pressure. I like to see how people react to what I say. Sometimes it's effective, sometimes it's not.
We had the same conversation in Secret Santa (with both of us Town) and my opinion hasn't changed, Town should not be lying (or offering false reads in this case) just to apply pressure.
Gopher of Pern wrote:It also happens that yourself and plytho had what I feel the least plausible reasons for voting for JDU.
My vote was to break a tie because NL is bad for us. You call this implausible? Are we playing the same game?
Gopher of Pern wrote:I'm not understanding what you mean by my earlier posts.
Mentioning to vote freezeblade because of bad RNG, not reading the rules and suspecting Griswold because of Diablo 2, introducing WINE for unknown reasons.

Again, town should do what they can to win the game. I believe that includes lying.

I said least plausible, not implausible. And you were already suspicious to me, hence why you're on my watch list.

I can't have a little fun? Freezeblade was never very serious. I read the rules, but other things were mentioned from D2 (although, at the time, I did not realize they were in D1 as well.) I also introduced WINE to give scum pause.

It's like you don't listen to me.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:I do agree that laserguy seems scummier for pushing Znirk. If Znirk is a survivor, we can basically ignore them, until we have information otherwise. But we seem to be focused on them again. So a big FOS on SirGabriel and LaserGuy for harping on about it.

And an FOS on you for taking jimbob's claim for granted. It's possible that their interaction is exactly what it claims to be, but it's also possible, as bessie pointed out, that Znirk is the cult leader who recruited jimbob.

Znirk

Re: Diablo Mafia - Day 1 (Tristram Awakens)

Postby Znirk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:59 am UTC

Unstructured thoughts about a few people:

ahippo: maybe just roleplaying, but there's some WTF particularly in the early posts of Day 1.

Laserguy and Sabrar: LG does a partial read (viewtopic.php?f=53&t=121853&start=40#p4159066) with some summary of what people specifically said, and in the middle of that there's just a blunt and dry "Sabrar: Lots of content and discussion, including a bit of scum hunting. Leaning townie." Could just be that nothing in particular about Sabrar seemed worth mentioning, but it feels like it could be scum talking about scum, trying to slip a "this person is townie" nudge under the radar in the larger pile of more elaborate reads.
Full disclosure and warning, though: I got some pings off Sabrar late on Day 1 for being quite active in the "let's lynch a townie instead of the likely indie" crowd (he was my failed tracking target for the night), so maybe I'm just having tunnel vision on him now. Also, LG's read happened quite early on D1, which ... might, on reflection, actually be a good time to proactively defend a teammate? IDK. Anyway, laserguy backs off a bit later in the day.

More tunnelry on Sabrar: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=121853&start=80#p4159454 implies that he immediately buys for certain that I am not scum. Does he know I am not, because he has the full list of scum members?

Madge: Explicitly refuses to commit to anything on Day 1. But I think that's just what she does, and pretty much what I did in this game for that matter.

Gopher: slight ping for "just disliking" early claims, when these may limit the search space for the scumhunters. But otherwise feels OK.

Sir Gabriel: Wants to lynch me, but seems to make a lot of sense generally.

Adnapemit: I voted to lynch her yesterday, but I'm not really seeing it any more. Reconsider later with more information.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:10 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Thank you SirGabriel for replacing.

Concur.

bessie wrote:[...]Or Znirk recruited jimbob and now they’re both cult. Convenient how they both claim to have a night interaction that clears the other. Maybe they don't have chat.

Does this sort of thing generally warrant a response? Any case: I can't recruit anyone (and don't think Jimbob recruited me), and we aren't a faction. It is indeed very convenient (and presumably accounted for in the game balancing); and you're correct that we do not have night chat.

Sabrar

Re: Diablo Mafia - Day 1 (Tristram Awakens)

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:26 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:More tunnelry on Sabrar: http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=53 ... 0#p4159454 implies that he immediately buys for certain that I am not scum. Does he know I am not, because he has the full list of scum members?
If you read back this is what I've been trying to explain all week (evidently with no success). To me there is no real difference between a first post Miller claim and a first post indie claim, I find it very unlikely that any could be coming from scum. Obviously others disagree with me and I would love to learn why.

Return to “Mafia”