Crossover Mafia | Game!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

BoomFrog

Re: Crossover Mafia | D5 | 10/26

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:17 pm UTC

#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:If he's still got vote limiter from Jim he can force a no lynch tomorrow. He shouldn't have vote limiter, Megaman absorbed powers after the lynch not after NKs or modkills.

Wait wtf.

Sorry I meant, he might have lied and kept JimBob's vote limiter. But he shouldn't have Znirks vote blocker or whatever it was called.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:17 pm UTC

#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:I'm sorry, I messed up bad this game :<

It's cool bro we all made mistakes.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:19 pm UTC

I also invite anyone to critique my own play as I am always willing to re-evaluate my game.

Evil George Washington

Re: Crossover Mafia | D4 | 10/16

Postby Evil George Washington » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:55 pm UTC

Night Plan Redux:

1. Red Ryu protects one of [Two players at your own discretion]
2. Plytho, Target anyone but Sabrar.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:55 pm UTC

I see you all want the suspense. :D
Good night!

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:57 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:I see you all want the suspense. :D

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:48 pm UTC

You've been waiting all game to do that to Sabrar haven't you... :lol:
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:48 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:You've been waiting all game to do that to Sabrar haven't you... :lol:

I feel I'm missing some context. :P

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:50 pm UTC

Oh wait you were talking to me. Lol

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:26 pm UTC

Votals 5.2
mpolo (5): LaserGuy, BoomFrog, EGW, #HBC | Red Ryu, Sabrar
BoomFrog (1): plytho
Not Voting (2): mpolo, Madge

mpolo, Miria (Guardian Legend), Town Bus Driver

has been lynched!

Day 5 ends! Night 5 begins! Please send me all actions by October 29, 2017 11:59:59 PM EST!

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Re: Crossover Mafia | End

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:05 pm UTC

LaserGuy, Arthas Menethil (Warcraft), Town Judging Miller

has been killed in the night!

plytho, Frisk (Undertale), Town Unconfirmed Masonist

has been endgamed!

Madge, Cloud (Final Fantasy VII), Town Half-Jester Tinkerer

has been endgamed!

EGW, Simea (Crystalis), Town Jack-of-all-Trades

has been endgamed!

The mafia faction of

Sabrar, Mega Man (Mega Man), Mafia Absorber

BoomFrog, Deckard Cain (Diablo), Mafia Role Cop

and

#HBC | Red Ryu, Mario (Mario Bros), Mafia Doctor

has emerged victorious! Mafia wins!

Maven89

Re: Crossover Mafia | Game!

Postby Maven89 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:29 pm UTC

Post night actions please!

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:53 pm UTC

RIP town
Peaceful Whale wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Spell it out for me.
I-T

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:58 pm UTC

Sabrar probably gets the MVP for scum there. At the end, EGW was starting to realize that Sabrar was fishy, but no idea if he would have convinced us in the end.

Thanks for the game, #HBC|YOLOSWAG!
Image <-- Evil experiment

LaserGuy

Re: Crossover Mafia | Game

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:58 pm UTC

GG mafia. You guys played extremely well.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:59 pm UTC

IIRC, this is also Sabrar's first ever win as mafia (on this site?), so congrats to him for that too :)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:01 pm UTC

As promised, here's what I wrote in GoJoe regarding Sabrar:

Emperor Sabrartine wrote:Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. It was *I* who allowed the town to lynch scum D1. My team were quite safe from your pitiful little band.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:05 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:16 pm UTC

Hi! Overswarm here, game creator. I didn't mod it but was able to read most sections of the game and will be giving some commentary in a future post. For now, a few things that did NOT make it into the game:

Things I removed
Mafia A:

Mario:
Hat Trick – You may use one hat each night in addition to your Protect ability.
• Invisible Cap
o You cannot be observed, tracked, or watched in any way during the Night phase. Any attempts to do so will fail. You will still trigger any events that would occur from visiting an individual and can still be affected by abilities.
• Metal Cap
o You cannot be NKilled this night. This includes any and all death-related events that would happen during the Night phase. Those who try to kill you will be only told that their kill failed.

Deckard Cain:
Could only use Identify once.

Megaman:
Weapon Reserve – Once during the game, you may use this ability during the Night. You will get one additional usage of whatever ability you have absorbed and it will not disappear until used. If it is a passive ability, it will be when it is triggered (e.g., bulletproof and you are shot) or used in any fashion (e.g., double voter and you cast a vote that is then worth two). If it is an active ability, it will be when it is used.

Mafia B:
Samus: No changes
Reaper: Less restrictions on Death Blossom, more information for "Know-it-all" mod confirmed stuff

Indie:

GLadOS - Ultrabomb ability killed people whether it was vote or ability.

Geralt:
Mutagen Extraction – This ability may only be used once. When used, the player who was lynched the previous day’s primary ability (the first in their role PM) will be granted to you. If it has a limited number of uses, you will have the same number they started with at the beginning of the game.

Town:

Removed role:
Dovakhin (Skyrim) [Town Self-Watcher]

Abilities:
Aura Whisper – This ability may only be used once. During the Night Phase, you may use this ability. You will receive the forum name (NOT role name) of any player that visited you during the Night Phase.
Last Hurrah – Upon your death, you may make one final post during the Night phase. You may not vote during this post.

This role was one of the first to go. It was a powerful tool for town, but had to be planned and was one-use. Not a fun role to receive and a big swing. Easy to remove.

Snake - Removed the ability Bug – On Night0 (pre-game), choose a player. The first time this player uses an active ability during the Night Phase, you will be notified.

Was meant to give town a tiny bit of extra information, important to get the ball rolling in a larger game. When the game size was reduced, so did this ability.

Removed Role:

Kratos [Raging Townie]
Abilities:
Targeted Rage – At the start of the game (N0), choose a player. You hate that player and want to kill that player.
Successful Kill – If you kill the player you previously targeted with Targeted Rage, either via a killing ability or hammer vote, you gain the following ability:
“Imposing Presence – You may not be targeted by any Night Action that is not considered a killing ability”
Unsuccessful Kill – If someone else kills the player you targeted with Targeted Rage, you gain the following ability:
“Kill – Each Night, you may choose to attempt to kill (name of player who killed your target)”

Note: You won’t be given the name of the person who killed the target, but it will still be sent to them.
Mod Note: Megaman gains no abilities from Kratos and is informed there is “nothing to gain” UNLESS Kratos gains one of the “Successful Kill” abilities, in which Megaman is granted that ability.

Kratos helped remove town's "control" in this version of the game. A townie that gains an ability when a certain player dies -- one who is basically randomly chosen -- is more prone to make a mistake. Psychologically, someone choosing the player (even with no information!) makes them more likely to feel their choice is justified, incentivizing Kratos to play poorly. As town lost some of the control given by a much larger town, so this was removed.

Removed Role:

Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil) [Town Bodyguard]
Abilities:
Bodyguard – Each Night, you must choose a player other than yourself. If they are targeted by a killing ability during the Night phase, the killing ability will target you instead. No other abilities change targets as a result of your Bodyguard ability. If you do not choose a player, you will die during the Night phase.
Flash Grenade – Once per game, you may use this ability during the Night phase. When used, any abilities other than this Flash Grenade that are affecting you or the player you are bodyguarding will not be used. This means one-use abilities from other players will not be “used up”.

This one was easy to remove. While it could lead to a good "big play" if town did things right or mafia did things wrong, its best utility was when town played poorly -- e.g., giving out all their role information to mafia. This, combined with the fact that it's a very passive style role, made it an easy removal.

Removed Role:

Master Chief (Halo) [Town One-shot Regenerative Bulletproof]
Abilities:
Plasma Shield (one shot bulletproof, regenerative)– You are immune to any killing ability. Once a killing ability or ability that is identified as a killing ability targets you successfully, this ability will be removed. You will be notified.
Regenerate – If a Day phase goes by without anyone voting for you at the end of the Day, you will regain your Plasma Shield ability if you had previously lost it.

There was more killing when this guy was in. As killing was altered, restricted, or removed, the odds of mafia being successful didn't need to be artificially lowered in this manner.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:00 pm UTC

Overswarm again.

General Game Notes

The game itself is about limited information and the dangers of conventional thinking. While this is one of the more conventional setups in terms of power style (Mafia A is direct and self-supportive, Mafia B is indirect and long-term planners, Indies are floaters, and Town is Day-centric), many conventional thoughts and actions will damage town drastically. Lynch all indies isn't necessarily good, mass claiming is dangerous as both mafia's profit from it -- even in low number situations, avoiding/punishing damaging or strange or unfriendly abilities cripples town, directing doctor helps town, helping pro-town abilities drastically helps all of mafia, and town making significant and public long-term plans just give mafia a leg up. Town has a distinct advantage in this setup against any individual group, but has to play well to beat ALL groups and has to do so consistently in the day phase. A strong mafia smooth-talker can control town all game because of how few NAs that really hurt mafia there are. If someone comes into this game with the mentality of "this worked in my last game, and..." they will lead their town to doom.

This must have been difficult for Marshy to mod with Rajam having to back out of co-mod and me not having time. :(

My notes included a checklist over 10 items long and a notifications checklist that was 18 items long!

A lot of the below is copy/pasted, sorry if there's any old info (like GLadOS used to grant triple voter status).

Role notes:

Independents
GLadOS and Geralt are “movers”. They push the game forward in tangible ways. Mafia will dislike their control, Town will dislike their actions, and it will start discussions that can be seen as interesting as a result. The standard "All Indies are Anti-Town!" philosophy can backfire horribly here as both Geralt and GLadOS are inherently anti-mafia by just existing and anti-town in their goals (statistically speaking), but the moment the cat is out of the bag town could direct both GLadOS and Geralt and there is very little mafia could do about it on their own. Town just can't trust 'em! That said, it would be painfully easy for mafia to turn town against the independents.

GLadOS being a public bomb that is mod confirmed makes the hammer vote something that no one wants, but Town can dictate. This effectively gives town a pseudo “second lynch” option and creates a sort of paper trail for them. It gives both mafia groups a chance to push away from themselves, creating yet another trail to look at – “so-and-so was mafia, but when the bomb was alive they requested Player A be the hammer, so Player A isn’t of their alignment” kind of deal. If town plays their cards right, they essentially get two lynch processes to observe every day for the price of one, similar to someone being given a random dayvig.

GLadOS’ double vote option that is not under her control basically puts a giant target on both the affected players. At first this will be a strongly anti-town measure and town will undoubtedly be wary of anyone with the ability to be a double voter, but GLadOS will inevitably have to start helping town by giving them the ability to lynch a person they are guilty of.

Geralt hunting random targets means that he either is starting lynches or pushing lynches already pushed, increasing momentum if his target is on the list. Geralt can be played incredibly passively with great success in this game.

Mafia A

A standard mafia group that starts off strong as a triad, but knock one peg down and they are suddenly much weaker. Mario prevents one of their Night Kills if he wants, but also inevitably has to protect town from their own kills if he doesn’t want to leave a literal paper trail. A gamble! If a mafioso is lynched and it shows "protected by dr. mario" 3 times, eyebrows will raise. Mafia A has a great weakness in that losing any of their members drastically cripples them, given how public Dr. Mario and Megaman are and how weak Deckard Cain is. This puts Mafia A in a very weak position as they have to plan every action, most of their opportunity is random (result of identify, megaman gain ability), and to be played effectively they can't bus until late game. If mafia A doesn't have a strong town game or get some really key kills early on, they lose. This mafia group starts out fairly strong but will invariably get weaker as the game continues and they lose their identify, mario has to explain himself (and/or be directed by town with a confirmation during NPhase!), and megman has to explain himself.

Deckard Cain’s identify lets mafia plan their targets carefully (and is a global, not targeting, ability as the mod himself is giving you the role PM -- you target no one -- making it far more useful), while Megaman pushes lynches and is their wildcard. They can get lucky off of a few lynches, but for the most part Megaman just gives a few new options... at the risk of having to explain yourself down the line.

Mafia B
An inverse group that actually grows stronger as the game goes on, but starts off weak. Reaper gets an early game killing ability, but it doesn’t help them all that much. The real help is his “gift from Sombra” ability – knowing the Aesim can disable GLadOS’ bomb effect and that there is a bus driver and that Snake is the reason for the “can’t vote” gives him an edge in town. He can either play the strong townie (while being immune to Night Kills) or play the “I have special information” card and just be like “this is the info I get, mod confirmed in role PM” and use that information to gain town's trust. This can lead him to town attempting to disable GLadOS or getting GLadOS to do town’s bidding, putting Reaper in town's good graces while not actually doing anything for town.

Samus Aran X is the lynchpin. While Reaper can do work as long as he isn’t lynched, there are a LOT of ways Reaper can get lynched. But Samus? Samus can die and get a townie who was previously confirmed / strongly suspected as town to turn into mafia unbeknownst to any. That’s big! Samus' role block and scan ability can be helpful and give Mafia B a huge advantage if town does the "I'll tell mafia all our abilities, because there's no way a group of coordinated anti-town members could use that information against us" thing.

Town

In general, town is all about traditional strong town plays with very little direct information. Like 90% of their game has to be playing the Day phase, but Town ability to control that Day phase is accelerated by quite a bit. This could be really bad for town by their own doing or really good if town has strong control. Lots of abilities give additional lynches, force people to stick to a lynch (instead of bandy about), they have a princess for an additional day phase, very day-heavy town.

Frisk
Frisk’s ability to talk with people outside of the game gives a “safe space” for his own little team. This allows them to plan privately when to use certain abilities and maybe even soft-claim beforehand. His “if I die, extra day phase” is a bit of an anti-randomizer for town and helps to prevent too many NKills from occurring other than the expected cluster of NKills on N2 or N3 due to vig/reaper/mafia/GLadOS. It also prevents either mafia side from making too secure a plan if they get lucky early on and puts some pressure on the indies.

Joel
Joel is a big ol’ lie detector. People like to switch their votes around and make muddy trails, but Joel makes everyone stick to their guns and keeps them honest. It’ll be REALLY easy for town to track. This is one of the stronger town abilities, as a common mafia tactic is to vote for player A and ask a pressing question, then switch to player B after being away for a while and listening to someone else's reasoned argument.... then later saying "I voted for A and pushed him here. Where did you do this?" when player A flips scum Days later. Joel also forces people to come to a verbal consensus and puts a spotlight on people who will just go against the flow and do their own thing.

Steve
Steve controlled by a bad player is someone who just jails someone for a long time. By a good player, Steve is a person who jails someone specific when they are suspected scum and keeps them there – maybe even with a gambit by falsely claiming that they’d be stuck after his death! Steve is basically the counter to someone claiming “I have such-and-such ability” and town not knowing what to do about it.

Cloud
Cloud is a very anti-town presence in that he has to gain votes to use his abilities, but if he can get town to trust him he gets a killing ability once the crowd has thinned some. His Role Restriction of “Guilt” is a huge negative for him and also puts him in a rough position with GLadOS in the game, meaning that his “Finishing Touch” is not to be used lightly. This role is balanced slightly on the weaker side, and has the unique attribute of being gaining strength in line line with how strong the town players themselves are. Weaker towns like to shut down at "odd" situations and try to play to what they know in a game of limited information, which basically makes Cloud a stump without guilt being triggered.

Twisted Fate
This guy is one of my favorite roles in the game. I’ve used it in prior games for both mafia and town, but it limits a lynch down to two players and two players only and really focuses town. If Twisted chooses the wrong two, it’s a lose/lose for town and puts him on the chopping block, but it creates a strong paper trail. This ability should typically be used when town is acting split the Day prior, or TFate really wants a certain someone dead (and chooses him and an obvious townie).

Snake
Snake is a negative force for town. The only mafia abilities that can affect him without killing him are Identify, Protect, Ice Beam, Scan, and Possess.. meaning it is more likely that town will target him with something.
Used properly though, Snake can claim his ability and use it to force people to confirm they have an active ability. While weakening town because it removes one of their votes for a day, it lets people be a bit more trusting I guess.

Arthas
A disrupting force, Arthas being a “True Miller” is a huge negative for town if he isn’t open about it quickly. His “Judgement Call” is a way to call that trust for town, but if he can gain that trust before using his ability it also grants Town a win/win in lylo by granting immunity to two players with a tie. While there is no "cop" in this game, Maiden, Cain, and Samus can all raise a red flag of "he's mafia!"
legtimiately and mafia can always claim cop if town does a mass claim and his only response is "oh, I'm Miller"... which is a hard sell.

Aesim
He could be self-serving and protect himself for three Nights, potentially do a lot by sending a secret message, but “Paralysis” is a one-of-a-kind ability that makes him shine. It makes Reaper vulnerable, GLadOS vulnerable, all sorts. The role is actually stronger claimed, as just the threat of bulletproof prevents Night Kills and he can confirm it with Telepathy. When claiming, a wise player would not mention the limitation of "three-time use" and just say something like "I can pick one".

Minsc & Boo
A character who lives by his posts. His “hidden message” with boo that lets him get no-context mafia declarations is a neat addition to a Journal role. He could do nothing all game or be a treasure trove of info. This also allows a player to play a bit more erratically. He could basically scream "YOU. ARE. SCUM." to someone to gauge reactions and then in his journal write "He is not scum. I <3 him.", which lets him do all sorts of fun stuff.

Ryu Hayabusa
A soft-vig, Ryu can be a strong town force who acts as a vig if Night Kills target him. Given that Ryu can choose incorrectly and target townies at random with stronger abilities, he has to be careful... depending on a player's playstyle, they either need to be really quiet until endgame where the odds are more in their favor or they need to be a boisterous townie and soak up NKills towards who they think should die. There's always at least one or two inactives/bad townies.

Agent 47
A balanced vig role. The fact that he is “guilty” means he has to choose his targets carefully. Also one of the only things that tells Mario to protect his teammates -- incriminating them -- so a big thorn in Mafia A's side.

Miria
A chaotic force in the game, is really only pro-town if she is on the ball for sure. If she uses her ability willy-nilly with no reason, she will paint herself as mafia and only be a disruption.

Maiden in Black
The only investigative role in the game, which is pretty strong. Has the downside of being super vulnerable to Samus-Aran X targeting her “chosen one” or town wondering if this is just mafia with a mason ability, given that Frisk exists.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:05 pm UTC

Congrats to the mafia team, but I can't believe town let Sabar slide the entire game! That dude was begging for a closer analysis since Day 1. I kept pretty up to date with the game but I don't remember anyone pushing him at all. Dude just slid by. At least they made Boomfrog scramble. Mafia overall did a great job

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:09 pm UTC

Yeah, we almost got BoomFrog, and Red was under pressure, but Sabrar, never (except the aforementioned late game push from EGW).
Image <-- Evil experiment

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:11 pm UTC

GG dudes. I tried. I think my biggest mistake was letting Boom go. At the end I was getting lazy and burnt out. Shout outs later, it was a very fun game and well played by all.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:23 pm UTC

Shout outs later, I want everyone to give shout outs. :)

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:23 pm UTC

Quick thoughts re: setup...

Interesting that virtually none of the town roles were played the way that they were intended, and many of the roles that were considered quite weak in play (bessie/Joel and jimbob/Twisted) were considered strong by the mods. Mods also anticipated more active roles for the indies, who ended up killing each other in D2 without really having a strong presence otherwise.

I kind of feel like dropping the setup from a 24 player game to a 20 player game by removing 4 townies maybe left us a little shorthanded, especially as two of those townies very strong PRs. Might have been better to remove the indies instead, or make those roles town, or at least buff a few of the weaker or outright anti-town roles to compensate.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:24 pm UTC

Overswarm again.

A few brief player thoughts:

Mafia B

Jeeze. Sorry about your luck.

Mafia A

MVP Sabrar[b/]

Sabrar basically won this game on D1 and coasted from there. Literally nothing town did the entire game brought even the hint of a threat towards Mafia. This is about as complete a victory as I've seen, reminds me a lot of a mafia game I played on Smashboards where I was mafia with Red Ryu, actually. Fire Emblem I think? Ryu may remember. :3

Very good job Sabrar, well played. How no one really held your feet to the fire or did any sort of Night play on you all game is beyond me.

[b]Boomfrog

You played well, sorry your role is overall weak and not too direct. I thought for sure at one point you were going to end up being a fall guy in your "Red Ryu vs. Boomfrog" play but you were covered in grease the whole time and just moved where you wanted. Well done.

Red Ryu

Hi buddy! Good job! You played the Doc well. I wish that there had been a vig longer to stress you out! Your mafia play was passive, but very good.

Indies

Both indies kinda faltered here. Indies are hard to play, but guys -- Keep Your Cool. GLadOS was a hard role to play, but even claiming can be done the right way. It's never in an indie's best interests to explode.

Town

A few general rules for town:

1. Don't massclaim unless you have something to figure out or have a plan.

The only person -- the ONLY ONE -- in the entire game that did the massclaim right was FrozenFlame. "Hey guys, I can deflect attacks, but only every other night. BTW I'm vulnerable tonight, woe is me." was an awesome play. Everyone else either didn't hide info, or did and later was like "oh yeah, also here's this info that sounds bad in a poor context".

2. Just because you find a thread doesn't mean you have to follow it. Basically the entire game either Sabrar or Boomfrog was like "Hey guys, what about (thing)?" and town all turned and walked that direction like lemmings.

3. When you need someone to call 911, pick someone. Don't say "someone call 911!" because you might not get anyone calling or 10 people calling.

Every time town tried to plan anything it was basically bungled, and it was because town was only doing one thing at a time. If you need to make a plan, like, say, who to die via a bomb hammer, you need a single individual to dictate what happens in what order. You can debate the ending, but one townie saying "next Zyth votes. Then EGW." and following it up with "if they don't follow along, we vote them tomorrow" gives you power. Hard body crew!

4. When you find a partner, work together.

So many townies found someone and were like "yep, town". And then continued to treat them like everyone else or not listen to them. If you think someone is town, vote together. If you're right, you have what is called a "voting bloc". This gives your entire group drastic power and influence.

Bessie

You should have used your ability. It's very very pro-town -- not anti-town. It also would have been a thorn in Sabrar's side because he wouldn't have been able to do his "I'll lean back in my chair and pontificate, but not lead a charge or shoot a gun" habit.

Evil George Washington

You've improved a lot, but you gotta learn how to finish a thread. You would travel down a path and either be unable or unwilling to pull the trigger. If you ask everyone questions and don't have a plan, you don't get anything out of it. You need a plan, an end goal, the moment you ask a question.

Frozen Flame

You played well, not counting your inactivity. Clearly the most experienced with mafia in general as town, wish you had a bigger role. Watching your posts felt like watching a dog walker with 12 dogs.

LaserGuy

No real commetns overall, but you played fairly well and consistently.

Plytho

I really liked your play as town. You were one of the stronger players, although you should have picked your partners and made a voting bloc rather than sitting back. Your death would have benefited town, so being a passive player hurt town. There was one less lynch that town could control this game as a result!

Zyth

Calm down! This isn't Smashboards, most of the people here won't know how to deal with that kind of aggression in any positive way. Less egos here.

Maven

I'm sorry you died so early. :(

Peaceful Whale

Keep playing! This was a hard game to play and you had a unique role.

That's all I have for comments. Thanks for playing the game, it was fun watching people try to figure it out.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:26 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Quick thoughts re: setup...

Interesting that virtually none of the town roles were played the way that they were intended, and many of the roles that were considered quite weak in play (bessie/Joel and jimbob/Twisted) were considered strong by the mods. Mods also anticipated more active roles for the indies, who ended up killing each other in D2 without really having a strong presence otherwise.

I kind of feel like dropping the setup from a 24 player game to a 20 player game by removing 4 townies maybe left us a little shorthanded, especially as two of those townies very strong PRs. Might have been better to remove the indies instead, or make those roles town, or at least buff a few of the weaker or outright anti-town roles to compensate.

Possibly, but removing the indies would have been worse for town than removing the townies. I also weakened Mafia A a decent bit after the townies were removed. While the indies aren't town, they win with town and are +2 "can't be killed" roles that can soak up mafia NKills.

-OS

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:30 pm UTC

YOLO here.

WHEW! It's over! Longest mafia game here ever, yeah? Gotta say, glad to be done with this. A looot of IRL stuff made it difficult for me to keep on top of things in a timely manner. When y'all saw me post the flips, usually it was between classes or at the end of a busy day. This was the worst time for me to undertake this, I'd need a lot more time if I modded another game of this complexity. I'd probably mod something simpler instead.

That said, thank you OS for letting me run the game. I wish I had more time to do a better job, but shit happens and things went well enough. I was impressed by your creativity in the roles and theory.

Great job by the scum team. Ruy, this has got to be your best game ever, well done. Sabrar was unquestioned for most of the game. BoomFrog was SO scummy. It was outrageous. It was good though, you need those scummy players who can/will stick their necks out to make big plays.

Bessie, you really got the short end of the stick with that recruitment, lol. I loved seeing everyone react to that flip.

EGW and Zyth, I dug seeing you guys post so much. Gave me that ol' DGames vibe, sorry things didn't go better. EGW, I feel like you needed a sidekick to help you out there later in the game, someone to help push your ideas through. Maybe we'll pull alley oops and dunk on fools sometime.

Maven, nice play, didn't you almost kill BoomFrog? You did great, your shot didn't go through because you got killed. I know in most action resolutions your shot goes through anyway, but it was different here.

Jimbob, you consistently had some of the best reads in the game. Shame you were suspected so much, you could have really helped town with your accuracy. Frozen, you had some moments of solid reads but it looked like it was difficult to make a play what with the suspicion towards ya.

That's all I remember. I skimmed most of the game. Just like if I was playing.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:35 pm UTC

Yeah deff needed a side kick and someone that could trust me but by that time I lost the trust lol. Deff let's alley oop sometime bro. I was going crazy at times.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:56 pm UTC

GG scum, mvp Sabrar.

I misinterpreted my secondary ability as a possible last straw when it wasn't. I hope scum freaked out about it for a bit.

My secondary was that if I'm killed the next night phase is skipped, which doesn't help if scum control the vote.

Despite the loss the game ending now was ideal for me as I'm currently in between flights at the start of a three week holiday.

I really liked my role it was tricky and clearly I didn't get the best use out of it. If only we'd trusted each other :D

It was doubly tricky because I had to balance gaining chatmates (and the right ones) with drawing a possible night kill. I expected scum to NK me if we were all town but perhaps our disagreements were too obvious in thread.

I really enjoyed the game. Great initiative to bring our communities together, YOLOSWAG. Thanks for the set up Overswarm. You guys did a great job.

I'm happy my final reads were correct (even if it didn't help).
he him his

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:03 pm UTC

I attempted to kill Zynth because I found his defense of Gamma so awful that it had to have ulterior motives. He also pretended he didn't know it was Soup when that should have been obvious to every dgamer. I could tell he would have supporters so lynching him would be difficult. I still wish my kill had gone through :P

Also Zynth is a dude

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:07 pm UTC

Maven89 wrote:I attempted to kill Zynth because I found his defense of Gamma so awful that it had to have ulterior motives. He also pretended he didn't know it was Soup when that should have been obvious to every dgamer. I could tell he would have supporters so lynching him would be difficult. I still wish my kill had gone through :P

Also Zynth is a dude

Zen wrote:I'm a guy, but I like when people refer to me as she, because it makes me feel pretty.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:20 pm UTC

Maven89

Solid play. You noticed things I noticed before I even noticed them, I just skimmed your wall. I was at work but when I was able to re-read thoroughly I was like damn. It was good playing with you dude.

Red Ryu

Good play. I was ready to lynch you D3 but was confused why both you and Boom had those conflicting results. I had Boom in my laser sights but I simply could not pull the trigger. Laser had me thinking Boom was town and letting me mislynch him haha. Whoops.

Gamma Emerald

Nice try bro, caught you once again but sadly you were indy lol.

Spak

My bad for mislynching you, just felt like you were staying behind on purpose. I would suggest you catch up and don't even converse while doing so. Finish your catch up, and be fully read up before even joining conversation. You went a week without posting which was a bit much. I can understand you were busy though, maybe you underestimated how big this would be. It's my fault for pulling the trigger on town.

Frozenflame

My bad once again. I realize I have been a huge help to mafia, I feel bad I went your way instead of Boom.

heuristically_alone

Sorry if life got busy, can't say anything else.

BoomFrog

Good play. Was hoping you were town though. :P How did you feel when I switched your wagon?

Sabrar

I tried getting you at points but otherwise, good play too. Again as I said, we should hydra some time. I'm going to take a break for now though.

Peaceful Whale

I think you should try to be a bit more tight lipped if you are a cop. At least, if you do gambit, don't say 'I have a way of clearing someone!' Anyway, it was like your third game so I think you'll do fine in the future.

Bessie

I'm assuming you were town up to a certain point. It was good to have you as an ally until that point. I'm glad you were nk'd but it was unlucky for you haha.

Dark Horse

I guess you weren't able play. Sorry for harping on you.

Znirk (traveling and semi-offline the last week of September)

Same for you, guess you were really busy. I did like your opening post haha.

jimbobmacdoodle (there will be a few periods in the September/October time when my activity will be very low, but I should still be able to handle a game)

I really didn't want your lynch going through. Although I do think your analysis was wasted by your D3 follow up. What i mean is, you put all this effort into doing reads, and then next day you ask questions about Madge without really doing anything with it. Might have helped if you pushed your top reads a bit more that day, like voting them.

moody7277

Nice try with that wine haha. I can understand why Sabrar was pushing you like he was town, it was because you were both un-aligned but still both scum.

plytho

Sorry to see that we could not trust each other. Either way Bessie or Boom would make our chat have one scum either way. I guess you were right on that one detail on Boom, I feel maybe you should have tried harder to convince me into it though. I feel if we both went our ways and shared that, we could probably get Boom > Sabrar. Maybe anyway.

Madge

Sorry for the yelling, but what I said was true and also just so I could seem more townie in case you were faking as scum. I do not mean any personal insult though. I can see that Ryu was possibly just egging you on as scum so you could be de-motivated. I wasn't the one trying to call you 'slot' the whole time. Not that it matters to me, I use it for everyone equally. But if you ask, I don't have a reason to ignore your request.

SirGabriel

I don't think you should have given up like that dude. That's all I really have to say, thanks for playing though.

mpolo

Sorry I let you be mislynched. I don't think I would have convinced anyone to go to Sabrar or Ryu. I realize most of town were the ones who did not trust me, and Madge was not really involved so it was actually not the most synchronized town by then.

#HBC | Zyth

Sorry to see you go by the time you did. Good though, I was about to scum read you if you stayed. I was off and on with you. I really do wish you would have pushed Ryu harder though, I would have gone that way if you had. I really wish we had a better partnership this game. Sorry it's partly my fault though. I am constantly working and I actually just forgot to reply to you, I didn't mean to ignore you (or anyone else for that matter).

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:21 pm UTC

Maven89 wrote:I attempted to kill Zynth because I found his defense of Gamma so awful that it had to have ulterior motives. He also pretended he didn't know it was Soup when that should have been obvious to every dgamer. I could tell he would have supporters so lynching him would be difficult. I still wish my kill had gone through :P

Also Zynth is a dude

Lol. Yeah I noticed that. I didn't think anything of it because I remember Ryker acting like I was someone else in our previous game and he was town hahaha.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:22 pm UTC

Just so OverSwarm knows, I did keep my 'three time use' part hidden. This is my ability usage:

N1 Barrier
N2 No action
N3 I forgot lol
N4 Telepathy
N5 Barrier

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:23 pm UTC

I thought there was another actual cop, which is why I didn’t fill out claim. I was hoping to draw the night though, which I did. (Bessie was worried about being killed).

Here’s our chat log:
https://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/gPYiDFaUPhtv
Peaceful Whale wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Spell it out for me.
I-T

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:25 pm UTC

I'm kind of glad the game is over. I was already playing badly and going every where that wasn't scum. I regret not pulling the trigger on Boom.

Now I'm going to use this time to Play Mario Odyssey. I'll reflect on my play and would love for Marshy to critique my play.

I'm also going to try to focus more on learning Piano and composing music.

I really really need a break from mafia since i"m constantly working, and want to focus on de-stressing.

It was very fun playing with you all, you guys should play with us on Smash boards.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:31 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:
Evil George Washington

You've improved a lot, but you gotta learn how to finish a thread. You would travel down a path and either be unable or unwilling to pull the trigger. If you ask everyone questions and don't have a plan, you don't get anything out of it. You need a plan, an end goal, the moment you ask a question.

Overswarm, I'm not sure what plan I should have that isn't getting reads and then following up on those reads. Can you give an example? There were times that I was unwilling to pull the trigger (like on Boom) because I didn't just want to keep going in a linear direction, if I was wrong. I was worried about being wrong. I guess I was wrong either way.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:33 pm UTC

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:37 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Sabrar basically won this game on D1 and coasted from there. Literally nothing town did the entire game brought even the hint of a threat towards Mafia. This is about as complete a victory as I've seen, reminds me a lot of a mafia game I played on Smashboards where I was mafia with Red Ryu, actually. Fire Emblem I think? Ryu may remember. :3

That was my third game ever, yes I remember. You mislynched me there. :P I remember Zen being lynched in that game too. I replaced in for Glyph.

Return to “Mafia”