Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Day 3 - The Times They Are a-Changelin'

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Madge

Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Day 3 - The Times They Are a-Changelin'

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:51 am UTC

The Werewolf of Wall Street

Being a werewolf in a man's world comes with some benefits - and some horrible downsides. Wolfington Investments is a stock trading firm with a rather... unique set of board members. They have their own special skills that they use for their own ends - it's not technically insider trading if you use your vampire powers to glamour someone into telling you their trade secrets, or use your werewolf body to attend rival business meetings incognito, after all.

However, during the firm's famous halloween party, a group of sassy teen vampire hunters have sealed all the exits. Now it's only a matter of time to sniff out the intruders before they can expose not only your identities but the not-technically-insider-trading racket you are all complicit in.

• Mods: Madge, Sabrar
  • Size: 9
  • Speed: Day Phase lasts 5 days, with weekends counting as halftime. Night Phase 48 hours. Nights will end early if chatters are finished and all actions are received.
  • Bastardry: Very low; some roles may have hidden mechanics but the mods will not lie.

Standard Rules:

Posting rules:
    1. No posting in the game thread unless you are playing in it.
    2. No talking about this game except in the game thread or in an appropriately titled spoiler in the discussion thread
    3. No player may read discussion spoilers about this game until they are dead.
    4. No editing your posts. For any reason. At any time.
    5. Do not lurk! One post per real-life day is the recommended minimum. Consideration will be given for weekends.
    6. Players lurking excessively will be replaced or, if replacement is not possible, modkilled. See above.
    7. Any player who is modkilled for rule violations (not lurking) will automatically lose.
    8. You may post in thread during the day phase but not the night phase. It is night once a mod posts a day-end post (this will not be before the official deadline, but knowing Madge could be quite a bit after it), or a hammer vote is cast, in which case it is automatically night, whether or not a mod has made a day-end post. Note that this means you may not post content after a hammer vote.
    9. You may not play to lose, or act in a way that is clearly against your win condition.
    10. You may not use encryption systems in order to communicate privately or circumvent these rules.
    11. This is a game; it’s meant to be fun. Personal attacks or other offensive behaviour towards other players will not be tolerated.

Deadlines:
    1. In general, days will last for 5 days. Nights will last for 2 days, or until all night actions are finished. Weekends will count as half time.
    2. Adjustments will be made to accommodate holidays, or for other reasons if the mod deems it necessary.
    3. In-thread deadline announcements from the mod override these rules.
    4. Requests for extensions will be considered in exceptional circumstances only.
    5. Deadlines are 'soft', meaning that posting and voting may continue after the deadline until the mod calls night.
    6. Remember there is no talking after a hammer vote is cast.

Voting rules:
    1. Votes and questions for the mod must be posted in bold and on a new line, like this:
      Vote: Madge

You do NOT have to unvote to change votes, but it makes things easier and will be very much appreciated if you do. You can unvote in bold and on a new line, like this:
      Unvote (Madge)
      Vote: Sabrar
    2. When someone gains a majority of the votes, they are automatically executed and it becomes night, as above. Posting content after the hammer vote is not allowed, even if the hammer vote was accidental.
    3. If the deadline is reached and no player has been hammered, then the person with the most votes when the mod calls night will be executed.
    4. If the votals are tied, then the person who hit the tied number of votes first will be executed, unless all players are voting solely for the tied players, in which case there will be no execution.
    5. You can vote not to execute anyone by casting a vote for "NL" or “No Lynch” or "NE" or “No Execution”. “No Execution” will be treated exactly the same as any other player for determining votal results, except that "No Execution" always wins ties.

Death rules:
    1. You’re alive until you are hammered, or a mod declares that you're dead, by PM or in thread.
    2. Once you die, you may no longer post content in this thread. You may post death flavour or a ‘Bah! You killed me,’ post that reveals no information.

Private Message rules:
    1. You must include the mods in any PM you send related to this game.
    2. You can ask the mods questions by PM (at any time) if you'd rather not ask in thread.
    3. No PMing other players concerning this game unless your role specifically allows it.
    4. Any night actions must be sent by PM before the end of the night period. They can also be sent during the day prior if you would like. If sent as part of a factional chat, please indicate the action in bold on a new line, as with voting. If you don’t do this and we miss your action, tough.
    5. You can send backup actions but don't make the conditions too complicated.
    6. All chat is daychat.

Game Setup: This setup is closed.

Player List:
    1. LaserGuy murdered N1, independent (WINNER)
    2. moody7277
    3. wam
    4. jimbobmacdoodle murdered N2, town
    5. Hari Seldon
    6. bessie
    7. somitomi ConMan
    8. Peaceful Whale executed D1, town
    9. Maven89 executed D2, scum
Last edited by Madge on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:00 am UTC, edited 7 times in total.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Madge

Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Day 1 - Let's Get This Party Started

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:30 am UTC

“Welcome, everyone, to our fourth annual Halloween party! I hope you are all enjoying the festivities and libations.” The CEO announced from behind a lectern.

A pale face gave a coy smile and sipped on a glass of dark red liquid.

“I know it’s not as grand as last year’s festivities, but we’re trying out a new event planning company.” The CEO continued. “They’ve done really well considering the short notice, again, I apologise that we had to hold it a week late, but you wouldn’t believe how hard it is to book a hotel ballroom on Halloween.”

A character with bushy eyebrows nodded in apparent agreement, stuffing a meatball into their mouth.

“Anyway, thank you everyone for your hard work this year. We’ve made record profits and our forecasts are always on point. Our short-selling department in particular is on fire - though not literally, of course.”

Some polite murmurs of laughter from the crowd, and a few pallid faces glowered silently.

“I want to name some people in particular to thank them for their contributions to this -”

There was a sudden flickering of the lights. The CEO gave a polite chuckle.

“I’m sorry, must be an electrical fault. Anyway, as I was saying, there are a few people whose names I want to put onto the plaque above the reception desk for their contributions to the organisation. The first of those names is -”

Again, the lights flickered, and fizzled, and went dark.

“What’s happening?” Someone murmured.

“I told you not to hire that useless events company! Couldn’t even book us a decent hotel!” Another cried out.

The lights flickered back on, and right in front of the crowd was a grisly sight indeed: a human body was pinned onto the front of the lectern by an oaken stake. Dark blood seeped slowly out of the wound, and the victim’s face had an inhuman quality to it: sunken, black eyes stared blankly at the ceiling. It was a most unholy sight indeed.

Then the lights went off again, and a voice came over the speakers. It was electronically distorted and unrecognisable as human or beast.

“We’ve got you surrounded, you horrible creatures. All the exits are under our control. Let this first shot be a warning to the rest of you to turn yourselves in. Humanity will reign supreme!”

The lights returned, and the dead body was gone, as was the poor unfortunate vampire who had once lived in it.

The remaining partygoers eyed each other suspiciously. There had to be traitors amongst them, for the murder to have been committed so quickly. Who could they be?

Mod note: to prevent a misunderstanding, “town” in this game are evil supernatural beasties who are manipulating the stock market, and “scum” are those who are trying to take them down to save humanity from monsters and/or bring balance back to the stock market. That said, species should not be taken to mean anything: there may be multiple of some species, none of others, and any species could just as easily be town or scum. The flavour text is for entertainment purposes only and should not be taken to be indicative of alignment: that said, I wrote it with full knowledge of alignments so feel free to obsess over clues or red herrings I may have put into it, consciously or subconsciously.

All role PMs have been sent out. Notify me ASAP via PM if you did not receive yours or you are confused about what yours means.

It is now Day 1. 9 players alive, 5 players for majority vote.

Deadline in just over 6 days.

You may now start posting!
Last edited by Madge on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Madge

Re: Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Day 1 - Let's Get This Party Started!

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:23 am UTC

There are no mechanics that change alignment or win conditions, nothing that does spoiler reading, no "listening" roles, no lying by the mods, and any of the usual stuff that would be considered bastardy.

If in doubt, please ask, but you can pretty safely assume there's no funny business going on.

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Day 1 - Let's Get This Party Started!

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:07 am UTC

My, my. How inconsiderate of these petty humans causing all this disruption to our little social gathering. Poor Alfred getting staked like that. It must be such a painful way to go. I would hate it to happen to me.

Vote somitomi

for quite clearly being scum.

Setup spec: 7-2 or 6-2-1. No more scum than 2, unless one has some kind of ulterior motive. If 7-2, I expect town to have somewhat weaker abilities in the main (exceptions may be present), though I expect that's pretty obvious.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

wam

Postby wam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:11 am UTC

vote jimbob

For heavy sarcasm. Also how do you know he was called Alfred.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:17 am UTC

Oh my, I thought deaths in mafia only occured after the start of the game. What an unsettling turn of events.
Vote: wam
For taking my OMGUS-vote on jimbob.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:26 pm UTC

Hunters*, at our Halloween party (it's more likely than you think)? How rude of them to disrupt our well earned festivities.

Vote: Hari Seldon

for having such an obviously human name.

*in a "saving people, hunting things, the family business" sense.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:54 pm UTC

Vote Bessie

Who is obviously town again. :roll:
Curse her townie meta!!!

(This is a joke Vote)

(If Bessie is actually scum, I take full credit for her lynch, if she is lynched)
Peaceful Whale wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Spell it out for me.
I-T

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:40 pm UTC

SDK is now mentoring Peaceful Whale

wam

Postby wam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:24 pm UTC

unvote

Vote peaceful whale

Sdk is a name I remeber and can't be trusted!

can you give us more details on what mentoring covers?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:26 pm UTC

Vote somitomi

For having a post that sounds a little too similar to jimbob's. Probably scum together.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:39 pm UTC

wam wrote:Sdk is a name I remeber and can't be trusted!

My thoughts exactly. I figure that when it comes to claims, he'll say he's an unlynchable vig who upon being NKed makes town win automatically while secretly being the midnight slasher what slashes at midnight (not that I expect there to be a SK).
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:52 pm UTC

unvote

Vote moody

He is aperently a know it all again, for he just perfectly practically word for word recited my role name!!!

(Joking again FYI)
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:53 pm UTC

Sup guys, I have a quick question about the rules. In Crossover, it was mentioned that this site normally shows flips the day after? So if we lynch someone day 1, we don't get their flip until the start of day 2. Is this correct?

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:53 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:unvote

Vote moody

He is aperently a know it all again, for he just perfectly, word for word, recited my role name!!!

(Joking again FYI)

Fixed
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

Maven89 wrote:Sup guys, I have a quick question about the rules. In Crossover, it was mentioned that this site normally shows flips the day after? So if we lynch someone day 1, we don't get their flip until the start of day 2. Is this correct?

Don't quote me on this, but I think yes. I don't think nights are going to take too long though, since all private chats are daychats.
LaserGuy wrote:For having a post that sounds a little too similar to jimbob's. Probably scum together.

moody's post also sonds like mine
*x-files music*
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:18 pm UTC

Maven89 wrote:So if we lynch someone day 1, we don't get their flip until the start of day 2. Is this correct?
Correct.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:21 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
Maven89 wrote:Sup guys, I have a quick question about the rules. In Crossover, it was mentioned that this site normally shows flips the day after? So if we lynch someone day 1, we don't get their flip until the start of day 2. Is this correct?

Don't quote me on this, but I think yes. I don't think nights are going to take too long though, since all private chats are daychats.

According to rules, nights are 48 hours. Interesting that you noticed the part about chats but not about nights.

@Maven, yes, flip from lynch is usually revealed at end of night. Also note that y we don't need a majority vote to lynch... whomever has the most votes gets lynched.

wam

Postby wam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:54 pm UTC

I had also missed the all chats are daychats in the opening post, so supciouns at somi for that one. Mild suspciouns but they are there!

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:08 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:According to rules, nights are 48 hours. Interesting that you noticed the part about chats but not about nights.

Uh-oh, me and my lousy short-term memory.
Also, what did I just say about quoting me on that? :P
wam wrote:I had also missed the all chats are daychats in the opening post, so supciouns at somi for that one. Mild suspciouns but they are there!

You missed that, I missed how long nights are. That's a draw so far.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:27 pm UTC

Welcome to the mafia forum Hari Seldon! Do you have any experience playing mafia? Also please let us know your preferred pronouns.

Initial setup spec (work in progress):
6 town – cop (with TBD restriction), doctor, tracker or watcher, 1-shot bulletproof townie, backup or bodyguard, and innocent child, two of which are masons
2 mafia - roleblocker, 1-shot strongman
1 independent that can win independently or with any faction

Peaceful Whale wrote:Vote Bessie

Who is obviously town again. :roll:
Curse her townie meta!!!
If I am town, why would you vote for me? FoS Peaceful Whale.

Madge wrote:SDK is now mentoring Peaceful Whale
Double FoS Peaceful Whale.

somitomi wrote:I don't think nights are going to take too long though, since all private chats are daychats.
FoS Somitimi.

wam wrote:I had also missed the all chats are daychats in the opening post, so supciouns at somi for that one. Mild suspciouns but they are there!
If is it suspicious to you that Somitomi missed something in the opening post, then why wouldn’t it be suspicious that you also missed something? FoS wam.

wam

Postby wam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:29 pm UTC

@ Bessie as people with chat are more likely to notice that restriction!

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:38 pm UTC

What does FoS stand for?
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:46 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:What does FoS stand for?

Finger of Supsicion. But how could you not know this already?
FoS Peaceful Whale for trying to look like a newbie :P

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:01 pm UTC

That is super ambiguous, at least IGMEON makes sense...
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

wam

Postby wam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:08 pm UTC

I agree with the 6/2/1 spec it makes sense to me. Imagine scum have some powers to offset being at a slight disadvantage.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:14 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Initial setup spec (work in progress):
6 town – cop (with TBD restriction), doctor, tracker or watcher, 1-shot bulletproof townie, backup or bodyguard, and innocent child, two of which are masons

This seems extremely detailed for the lack of information we have. Some of those roles are common enough, but why are you assuming the bulletproof dynamic, innocent child, or backup?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:00 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Welcome to the mafia forum Hari Seldon! Do you have any experience playing mafia? Also please let us know your preferred pronouns.

Initial setup spec (work in progress):

Why do you think 6-2-1 instead of 7-2?

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:45 pm UTC

wam wrote:@ Bessie as people with chat are more likely to notice that restriction!
Thank you for pointing out a second time that you didn’t know all chats are day chat!

Maven89 wrote: This seems extremely detailed for the lack of information we have. Some of those roles are common enough, but why are you assuming the bulletproof dynamic, innocent child, or backup?
It is typical for me to discuss the setup, a lot (see X-Men), and to present my setup speculation early in the game, sometimes quite detailed (Shakespeare), often in my first post (Refrigerator, Diablo, The Dark Tower, Wheel of Time II).

Note that I did very little setup spec the first two days of Crossover mafia, and was heavily FoS’d because it was so atypical of my meta.

Why bodyguard/backup? With 9 players there are probably at most two investigative type roles (in my spec, cop and watcher/tracker). The backup would ensure that if both investigative roles were killed before D2 (lynch and NK) then town would get at least one investigation. Why innocent child? This is me gaming the game. Sabrar brings up innocent child in a lot of games so I’m speculating that he included a role of this type.

LaserGuy wrote:Why do you think 6-2-1 instead of 7-2?
Again, this is me gaming the game. I think 6-2-1 might appeal to Madge. So LaserGuy, what’s your setup spec?

wam

Postby wam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:54 pm UTC

@ bessier

Now i re read it it makes sense, I didn't explain myself properly. What I was saying was that spotting the day chat only thing was suspicious as it is what someone with chat would spot, not missing the night length.

nothing has really stood out for me so far!

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:00 pm UTC

bessie wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:Why do you think 6-2-1 instead of 7-2?
Again, this is me gaming the game. I think 6-2-1 might appeal to Madge. So LaserGuy, what’s your setup spec?

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't 7-2. Sabrar tends to believe town needs two mislynches for a balanced setup. I remember he was quite vexed in Fridge mafia about town having one (among other things).

I'll reserve judgment about roles for now.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:28 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:According to rules, nights are 48 hours. Interesting that you noticed the part about chats but not about nights.

Uh-oh, me and my lousy short-term memory.
Also, what did I just say about quoting me on that? :P

What does memory have to do with it? You said you thought the nights would be short because there is daychat.

My vote is now serious.

wam wrote:I had also missed the all chats are daychats in the opening post, so supciouns at somi for that one.

Third game in a row where somebody has done the "I'm obvtown because I didn't know scum have daychat thing". Interesting.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:45 pm UTC

In all my games scum has had day chat, though the no night chat is interesting.
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:53 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:What does memory have to do with it? You said you thought the nights would be short because there is daychat.

I didn't remember the length of the night phase was fixed, therefore I (erroreously) assumed night phase ends as soon as all actions are submitted. Possibly because that was the case in another game I played quite recently, where night was practically nonexistent as a result.
Peaceful Whale wrote:In all my games scum has had day chat, though the no night chat is interesting.

I was under the impression that night-chat was the "default", at least the newbie game had nightchat IIRC.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:In all my games scum has had day chat, though the no night chat is interesting.

And day chat I suppose
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:

And day chat I suppose

Meant night chat I’m an idiot
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

wam

Postby wam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:54 pm UTC

When I used to play day chat was very rare!

Laser and somi interaction is coming off town v town to me.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 pm UTC

Just wait until Bessie starts tunneling. :mrgreen:
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:20 pm UTC

I was under the impression that Night chat was a given and that "all chat is Day chat" indicates that any roles that could chat outside of the thread would, in addition to the Night, be able to chat during the Day. The rules also imply that the Night phase can end early if all actions are sent in before the deadline.

Host, could you clarify the above?

Peaceful Whale, did your mentoring begin before or after your opening post?

Thank you for the welcome Bessie. I do have experience playing mafia. I prefer male pronouns.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:34 pm UTC

After, SDK has yet to contact me though
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

Return to “Mafia”