Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Night 3 - Time to go, CEO

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Day 2 - Bâ Unbound

Postby ConMan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:28 am UTC

wam wrote:If moody flips town I will be having a close look at hari tomorrow.

This sounds about right to me. I am also swayed by Hari's arguments, but town!moody would just about seal the deal for scum!Hari for me right now. I might be feeling a bit paranoid (in the traditional sense) due to being so much under Hari's radar, but his analysis seems so finely tuned it does have the feel of a talented scum player pinning suspicion on someone.

wam wrote:On another note various players were ofnthepoaition through D2 that one if Bessie and I were scum. That seems to have.completely dropped off the radar. I would be interested in hearing the thought rocess behind that.

You make a good point. I am bad at social reads, but I have felt that bessie's posts since that possibility was raised have been pretty good, and feeling more like the confusion about results is genuinely due to something neither of you have control over. The "one of bessie and wam is scum" argument was always based on the assumption that whoever was town was claiming genuine results, so evidence to the contrary (and stronger arguments for someone else being the real scum) has pushed me away from that possibility.

I guess my scum reads are something like this (most to least scummy):
moody
Hari
bessie
wam

although it's more like "one of moody and Hari is probably scum, so even though Hari is looking kind of townie right now if moody is town then it's probably Hari, but if it's neither of them then I don't think it's wam so it would have to be bessie" (i.e. my list is more in order of who's most likely to be the remaining scum as opposed to how scummy I think the person is if I assume I don't know how many scum there are).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

bessie

Re: Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Day 3 - The Times They Are a-Changelin'

Postby bessie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:22 am UTC

I’ve been thinking about the setup and mechanics, a lot, and I don’t think there are any hidden auto targeting mechanics in this game, which I think would be reasonably bastard. This game was advertised as "very low" bastardry. Even without the autotargeting, I think that there might be a hidden mechanic with my and wam’s roles. It seems too odd that I would have his role name in my role flavor (and mine in his, he has revealed enough that I think he has my role name) unless there was a reason.

wam wrote: I wouldn't put it past the mods to have a scum mason I have seen it before, but it is unlikely.
I’m guessing that jimbob and Hari had some kind of confirmation that this was mason chat/confirmed town as opposed to neighbor chat/not confirmed (mafiascum link). Hari, I don’t have any experience playing with you, but I think it unlikely you would have made an error (irrelevant now because jimbob is dead and mod confirmed). And I don’t think jimbob would have breadcrumbed unless he was certain of Hari.

Hari Seldon wrote:What is puzzling, however, is why the Framer would kill the very player they framed.
Maybe because it would be puzzling? Mafia had no way of knowing if/who jimbob would target.

Hari Seldon wrote:Lastly, if Moody is a Mafia, it explains the LaserGuy kill. Moody believed that LaserGuy was an Indy (Link1, Link2, Link3). However, LaserGuy was very Townie and was not likely to be lynched, so an Indy LaserGuy was a threat to Mafia.
I don't I agree with this. I think mafia killed LaserGuy because they thought he was town, it makes more sense for mafia to kill town and try to get the indie lynched. I believe moody was just testing the waters to see if he could throw some suspicion on LaserGuy, and see where the new person stood on indies. This is not quite accurate:
moody7277 wrote:Maven was one of the people from the Smashboards site who participated in the big game that just finished. Their policy toward independently aligned roles was more aggressive than the typical xkcd response, especially wrt Madge.

Indies are often lynched on this site. In somitimi’s first game he claimed survivor and quickly learned his mistake.
adnapemit wrote:
somitomi wrote:Okay, let's not waste time: I am the Survivor.

Oh, good then if we are wrong it won't matter too much.
I'll feel bad if you are telling the truth and lose but it is also very likely a lie from scum.

Helpful game advice because Somi is still new: Always claim town even if you are an indie. Unless you are in a position where we have to lynch mafia or can bargain with mafia. Always claim town. I learned this the hard way.

moody7277 wrote:The result on jimbob of course doesn't say anything about wam. What I was hoping for was two townies and a 95% surety on a third (although given we have a cop, tracker, and watcher, I maybe should revise that downward). Given wam's cred upon Maven's flip and how townie jimbob was looking, I guess one of them being dead start of D3 should have been obvious.
Maybe I could believe this in a large complex bastard game, but how long did you think this game was going to last? Ok, just kidding. I wouldn’t believe you would be trying for town cop results even if this game was expected to go until D6. And I don’t believe we have an unrestricted sane cop, watcher, and tracker (see my setup spec in my first post).

wam wrote:Hari, given you were masons and according to a different post jimbob was your top town read can you explain the post below at the end of d2?
Hari Seldon wrote:Vote: Maven

Bessie, I have also been getting pings from JimBob. I believe that he should be reevaluated, especially if Maven flips Mafia. I have a partial case built up, which I will post toMorrow if I'm alive.
wam, he already covered it here.
Hari Seldon wrote: JimBob was my strongest town read. I was hoping that my last post would influence Scum to choose another target for their kill.
That post slightly influenced my decision to track jimbob instead of ConMan (I was flipping back and forth).

I reread the game and I believe Hari’s claim, independent of the bread crumbs (which can be faked). I believe his content is consistent with his claim. See this post from D1.
Hari Seldon wrote:Bessie, how were you able to predict Peaceful Whale's role? I asked you about Maven, because I believed that you were the most likely candidate for his partner at the time. Based on your response, I do not suspect that any longer.

It is possible that Bessie and Peaceful Whale have similar roles and perhaps have to kill each other in order to win the receptionist's heart.

See also this post from D2.
Hari Seldon wrote: Peaceful Whale, I hope that you can forgive me. Your death will not be in vain.

ConMan wrote: Fair enough, and as I've already noted the chance of my ability doing anything at this point is Buckley's, so sure.
ConMan, I had to look this up and just wasted way too much time reading about Australian slang terms. :P

Rereading again, but most likely will vote for moody.

Hari Seldon

Re: Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Day 3 - The Times They Are a-Changelin'

Postby Hari Seldon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:55 am UTC

Unvote

I don't have time to respond to anything now. I will have time after work.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:07 am UTC

Votals:

ConMan - 1 - Moody

With 5 players alive, it is 3 to hammer.

Day 3 ends in 1 day, 22 hours.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:39 am UTC

bessie wrote:
Hari Seldon wrote:What is puzzling, however, is why the Framer would kill the very player they framed.
Maybe because it would be puzzling? Mafia had no way of knowing if/who jimbob would target.
Do you not think that other explanation I suggested is likely: that they targeted him with the ability and the kill so that they would not be seen targeting two different people?

bessie wrote:
Hari Seldon wrote:Lastly, if Moody is a Mafia, it explains the LaserGuy kill. Moody believed that LaserGuy was an Indy (Link1, Link2, Link3). However, LaserGuy was very Townie and was not likely to be lynched, so an Indy LaserGuy was a threat to Mafia.
I don't I agree with this. I think mafia killed LaserGuy because they thought he was town, it makes more sense for mafia to kill town and try to get the indie lynched. I believe moody was just testing the waters to see if he could throw some suspicion on LaserGuy, and see where the new person stood on indies. This is not quite accurate:
Yes, you are probably right. It is a minor point though, and it really added to the synergy of my post.

I suppose the only question to me has already been answered by Bessie. I would like to review ConMan one more time before I vote again. It is strange that he is positioning me as a Mafia leading a mislynch.

ConMan, is there a reason you are ignoring my and JimBob's Mason claim?
Moody, do you have an alternative theory that could explain Bessie's result? Also, do you believe that having a Town Tracker, Watcher, and Cop in this setup is balanced; and if so why?

wam

Postby wam » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:51 am UTC

Right so the plan.

For this to work both Bessie and I have to be town. It assumes a moody lynch but can be altered for a different lynch.

1) Bessie chooses one of hari/conman to track.
2) I watch Bessie.

If I die Bessie knows which one carried out the nk either by tracking to the target or by no result c9bdemming the other one.

If Bessie dies I see the nk.

If one of conman and hari dies we lynch the other one.

What are people's thoughts on It?
Come join us playing mafia signup here

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:29 pm UTC

Hari Seldon wrote:Moody, do you have an alternative theory that could explain Bessie's result? Also, do you believe that having a Town Tracker, Watcher, and Cop in this setup is balanced; and if so why?

- You mean other than the current theory of a scum power that's feeding bessie bad results? There's always the possibility that she is scum, although the joke is she's always town; the last time I can remember her being not-town was this game which was over three years ago. Knowing what it would look like if she were scum is therefore problematic; though I'm sure having an incomplete recall is also something you find unacceptable :roll: .

- As I said previously, town having all three of those would likely balance if scum had a GF and that framer role. Having all three plus whatever sort of kill-RB thing ConMan is claiming might be too much in town's favor for Sabrar's taste. Not that I'm an expert in balancing games.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:35 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote: although the joke is she's always town; the last time I can remember her being not-town was this game which was over three years ago. .

Having had a quick look at that game it was so out there I don't think we can read accross any tells. Also apparently I played that game and have completely forgotten it.

@besssie can you link to a normal game you were scum in?

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:14 pm UTC

ConMan, I have few more questions. What is your Mafia history? What about the case against Moody do you find convincing? On a scale of 1-10 how upset would you be if we lynched you? Could you explain how your flavor describes how paranoia causes you to roleblock?

Wam, we know that results are not reliable, so there a number of issues with that plan. It is as good as any that can be made given the circumstance, however.

Moody, do you see any inconsistencies in the case I made against you? Is there anything I brought up that you could find evidence against?

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:47 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@moody, I'm really not following your logic here (not helped by the links apparently not working). Assuming the points you link to correspond to the quotes that follow, it seems to me like you're accusing somitomi of backtracking on something he hadn't said yet - the quotes appear in the reverse order to somitomi's actual posts. What is he supposedly backtracking on? I'm really not seeing where somitomi is being inconsistent or unbelievable here.
Also Moody, you never explained this. You summed it down to agree to disagree, but that is not really fair. You quoted Somitomi's postings in reverse order and presented them as if they were in chronological order. Please try to explain your thought process behind this as deeply as you can.

(Link)

wam

Postby wam » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:16 pm UTC

@hari that is an issue. However I have been thinking it through.

If it is either you or conman who has been messing with Bessie s results I will see them visit her. If Bessie is lying it's no use anyway. But I doubt this as her claim d2 doesn't make sense.

If we don't lynch moody. We insist he targets Bessie. I can validate this and based on the claims so far he has to target her target.

Still lots of holes but should help.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:57 pm UTC

Given we are 1 day and 6 hours from deadline and I would rather a moody lynch.

vote moody

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:43 pm UTC

Hari Seldon wrote: Do you not think that other explanation I suggested is likely: that they targeted him with the ability and the kill so that they would not be seen targeting two different people?
Yes, thinking about it, your explanation is most likely. Keep it simple, less chance of contradicting yourself later.

Hari Seldon wrote:Yes, you are probably right. It is a minor point though, and it really added to the synergy of my post.
Perhaps. In all fairness, moody hadn’t played in a while when he replaced in X-men Mafia. The forum meta isn’t strict about lynch all indies, and I think it’s recently getting more prevalent, as there have been several games of late where an indie made it to end and was kingmaker. I still get the feeling from the moody-Maven interaction re indies that this was testing for an indie accusation/lynch.

Hari Seldon wrote: I suppose the only question to me has already been answered by Bessie.
Sorry Hari and wam for answering a question directed at someone else. I try not to do that but I felt I had something to add, as Hari’s post influenced my night action target.

moody7277 wrote:- You mean other than the current theory of a scum power that's feeding bessie bad results? There's always the possibility that she is scum, although the joke is she's always town; the last time I can remember her being not-town was this game which was over three years ago. Knowing what it would look like if she were scum is therefore problematic; though I'm sure having an incomplete recall is also something you find unacceptable :roll: .
I was serial killer in that game and left the game with a win after three kills. And wam's right that was a complex setup (and I'm still impressed with mike-l for pulling it off, and with his first game as mod).

moody, your incomplete recall is probably not faulty memory, but because I don’t have very many games as non-town. Hari, welcome to the joke if you didn’t know it already. Wine, but I’m always town. I’m not only always town, I’m townie, even when I try to act scummy (see this post in Shakespeare III Mafia). I’m the towniest player in the game, even when I’m not playing. :P
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:Also this:
Madge wrote:Bessie has been assigned as a mentor for laserguy
That explains why I read you as so townie. Even when mentoring, bessie still looks super-townie :lol:

wam wrote:@besssie can you link to a normal game you were scum in?
Most recent is D4 of Crossover, but I was recruited N3 upon heury’s modkill, had no living partners, and knew there was a second scum team, so I would think that my play in that game would be very similar to my town play.
Wheel of Time – The Horn of Valere (next most recent game as non-town, almost two years ago).
2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku (replaced as mafia on D3).
Misnomer’s Smalltown PYP (first game as mafia).

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:01 pm UTC

Hari Seldon wrote:ConMan, I have few more questions. What is your Mafia history? What about the case against Moody do you find convincing? On a scale of 1-10 how upset would you be if we lynched you? Could you explain how your flavor describes how paranoia causes you to roleblock?

My mafia history is not particularly big - I've been around for a while, but I tend to only join games every so often. I started with a newbie game in which I was the casting vote on the final day and got it completely wrong, and since then I think I've been killed in the first 3 days in most games I've been in. In one case, I was day killed on the first day (Doctor Who mafia, at which point it got complicated).

I will answer the question about moody later when I have a little time to arrange my thoughts.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd be about a 6. Upset because I'm town so my lynch doesn't directly help us win the game, and because it means I played poorly enough to look scummy, but also knowing that I *have* looked scummy so to some extent it's my own fault and I would have to accept that. Adjust that down to a 5 if my lynch somehow leads to a town win, up to a 7 for a scum win.

I think that the Paranoid is actually a reference to the Paranoid Gun Owner role, who kills people who target them. Flavour-wise, my ability is basically that since I'm a ghost even when I'm killed there's enough of my paranormal energy floating around to bother my killer for one night (i.e. "Haunting").
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:32 am UTC

Thank you ConMan. I do not believe you answered this though:

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:12 am UTC

Is this an accurate summary of all our claims?

Hari (Human Love Interest) - became masons with jimbob after PW died but otherwise no known abilities
bessie (? Major Shareholder) - tracker, saw wam visit LG and maven N1, saw jimbob visit me N2
wam (Enamoured Ghoul Assistant) - watcher, saw Maven visit LG N1, saw no-one visit himself N2
ConMan (Paranoid Poltergeist) - passive roleblock when NK'ed, no other abilities
moody (Head of Inhuman Resources) - cop, got wam is town N1, jimbob is town N2

Separate to all of this, we have wam saying that he's got some kind of crush on the Major Shareholder, a role which bessie claims to be?

Bessie's tracker results still include false positives - if her claimed results are correct, then wam visited LaserGuy N1 (despite him saying he didn't) and jimbob visited me N2 (despite Hari claiming he couldn't have). These don't even make sense in the context of secret visiting actions, since wam should have (based on flavour) visited bessie, and jimbob still probably shouldn't have visited anyone. Hence, we have option A being "bessie is lying" (in which case we should lynch bessie and we win, and option B being "a scum ability swapped either bessie's target or her target's target each night" (in which case we should lynch whoever has that ability).

Looking at things, it seems like Hari and jimbob breadcrumbed enough that Hari's mason claim is correct, with a small amount of doubt involving the possibility of them being more "neighbours" (i.e. people with chat but hidden alignments) than "masons" (i.e. people with chat whose towniness is mutually confirmed). Which leaves either moody, wam or me to be the responsible party.

Wam's watcher claim gave us Maven at a point where I don't think it would have been necessary for scum to bus their partner. If I'd been seen targeting someone my claimed ability would be blown out of the water. So yes, it does kind of look like moody is the likely suspect, especially since his claimed cop results are relatively worthless.

I will probably not be on before deadline, so I think Hari's right. Lynch moody now, if he wasn't the last scum then we make use of whichever investigative information we may get overnight, and hopefully we'll have enough evidence to string up the scum. Unfortunately, in that instance I'm probably the most likely to survive to the next day (since I'm (a) revealed as a bad NK target, (b) probably not doing a great job scum hunting, (c) looking kind of scummy, (d) not an investigative role), which means I'll probably wind up with the casting vote :/ So, uh, please let us win this now?

Vote moody
pollywog wrote:

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:13 am UTC

Hari Seldon wrote:Thank you ConMan. I do not believe you answered this though:

Sorry, there was no particular reason other than not having enough mental capacity to cover it at the time, and also because I didn't see many flaws in it as I've addressed above.
pollywog wrote:

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:25 am UTC

Votals:

ConMan - 1 - Moody
Moody - 2 - wam, ConMan

With 5 players alive, it is 3 to hammer.

Day 3 ends in 15 hours.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:02 pm UTC

Last post before deadline. I am happy with a moody lynch would like hari and Bessie to vote of stare votes at least before deadline.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:52 pm UTC

bessie – Enamored Vampire Shareholder
ConMan – Paranoid Poltergeist
Hari Seldon – Human Love Interest
jimbobmacdoodle – Vampire Love Interest
LaserGuy – Mummy Unjester
Maven89 – Changeling Teen Hacker
moody7277 – Head of Inhuman Resources
Peaceful Whale – Werewolf Love Interest
wam – Enamored Ghoul Assistant

ConMan wrote: Bessie's tracker results still include false positives - if her claimed results are correct, then wam visited LaserGuy N1 (despite him saying he didn't) and jimbob visited me N2 (despite Hari claiming he couldn't have).
ConMan, wam confirmed he visited LaserGuy on N1. He denied visiting Maven N1.

I’m good with lynching moody.

I’ll be leaving in about an hour and probably won’t be available to post. Hari, do you have any further questions?

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:21 pm UTC

I will hammer in a little while.

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:28 pm UTC

I would have liked to hear Moody's responses, but it does not matter. The only doubt I have about the Framer theory is that Wam was seen visiting Maven. It is curious that Mafia would have chosen Maven as the visited and not LaserGuy, the player that was killed.

One line of thinking I had was that auto visiting is indeed a hidden mechanic of the game and that each character (or a number of them) are indeed assigned to visit another character. This would mean that Mafia has a Bus Driver and they swapped Bessie and Maven N1 and Me and ConMan N2. This follows from the relationship between Wam and Bessie's characters and Mine and JimBob's characters. If there was auto visiting, then certainly it would be between these related roles.

If the above is the case, then ConMan is the primary suspect. There have been three occasions where I had the impression that ConMan had more knowledge about the situation than the rest of us:

1) Link

ConMan wrote:So which of these do I actually find scummy? I'm not sure. I still feel that bessie's results are inaccurate due to an external factor, but I'm not convinced as to what that is and they do serve to make the whole situation tricky. I'd love to know what jimbob was doing visiting me, too (presumably trying to get some kind of information).

This was before I had revealed JimBob was vanilla, so there was not a reason for anyone else to think that Bessie's N2 result was inaccurate. When Bessie asked ConMan about this, he explained that he was speculating that her N2 result may be inaccurate because her N1 result was inaccurate. This is reasonable, but still a little suspicious because Maven's flip has the vibe of the sort of manipulation role we were speculating about. ConMan made this point about Maven's role, so it is strange that he would still suspect that Bessie's N2 result was inaccurate.

2) Link

ConMan wrote:This seems a bit convoluted, but it's an explanation which does match up with my feelings on some of the players involved.

There could be hidden mechanics whereby certain roles just automatically "visit" certain other roles, but if that was the case then why wouldn't Maven have used that as an argument for his innocence? If wam is just out-and-out lying, then it's a bold move on his part - he would have to assume that trading off Maven's death in exchange for his own was worthwhile, and I don't see the Mafia team being big enough for that sacrifice to be valuable. A wam/Maven scum team would still make for a bold move, since (1) it involves quick bussing to try to get a wrongly confirmed town, (2) it doesn't explain bessie's result particularly well (Surely they would have arranged for Maven to actually perform the kill so that wam's "tracker" result is legitimate).
This is so peculiar. ConMan's explanation as to what he meant does not really explain his wording here. The logic of this statement is that if Maven used the concept of auto visiting as a defense, then auto visiting must exist. Why would Maven's use of the concept make it more likely to exist? This comment leads me to suspect that ConMan was viewing the situation from a knowledgeable stand point. If he and Maven were either aware that auto visiting existed or had figured it out because of Bessie's results, then from his point of view it would make sense.

3) Link
ConMan wrote:
moody7277 wrote:
wam wrote:The only possibility I can see is from the flavour I was given. I am apparently in love with the major shareholder and need to visit him regularly. I got a heavy lovers vibe from it and did double check at the beginning of the game I wasn't a lover.

Madge wrote:Jimbobmacdoodle was murdered in the night. He was a Vampire Love Interest, aligned with town.

Emphasis mine. Basically, jimbob's flip verifies flavor elements that wam was talking about in his quoted post, which I think makes your confusion on what I'm talking about a little weird since you went through some of the same chain of reasoning in more detail than me, bringing PW into it as well.

Except that bessie claims that she's the major shareholder, and her watcher results showed wam visiting Maven and LaserGuy, not her. So we have an almost-explanation, that doesn't quite make sense (unless we have multiple major shareholders, of course). As someone who is just a random member of the board, I find it surprising that I would possibly be jimbob's crush, but perhaps that's just the way it panned out (I dunno, maybe the love interests were picked randomly).
I also thought it strange that ConMan came to the idea here that JimBob had autovisited him rather than intentionally visited him. If he is aware that auto visiting exists, as is implicated by point 2, I can see why he would come to this idea. Again, this was before I had revealed anything about JimBob.

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:14 pm UTC

But, we come back to this:

Hari Seldon wrote: When JimBob and Peaceful Whale asked the Hosts if their flavor was relevant, they received a response that indicated that it was. Wam, on the other hand, received the opposite answer, even after rephrasing his question. If Wam is not lying, then it is unlikely then that his flavor represents a hidden mechanic in the same way that the Love Interests' flavor did. Therefore, it is very unlikely that he has an auto targeting ability. So, either Bessie is lying about her result or Wam was framed.

The simplest explanation is that Bessie fabricated her results, but her response to that accusation has been very towny. Moody's explanation for his Night action, on the other hand, has been unsatisfactory, and he does not appear interested in responding to me despite having veiwed multiple times. So, without further ado,

Vote: Moody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPF3vj2r9jE

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:56 pm UTC

That link is a bit more awesome than I deserve. GG

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Madge

Re: Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Night 3 - Time to go, CEO

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:38 pm UTC

With the Vice President just murdered, it was only a matter of time before people started looking towards the CEO for answers.

“You’re the CEO, shouldn’t you be, you know, leading? Rather than letting the whole organisation descend into anarchy?” Asked an irate ghoul.

“Now, now, you guys all know that I’m a lot more… vulnerable than most of the rest of you.”

“We also know you’re a crook!” Shouted a majority shareholder. “But you were meant to be OUR crook.”

“I am your crook! Look! I’ve been going through the private HR files on my phone, and I’ve worked out that your ghoul and… well, and the poor Vice President there… they’re both not human sympathisers.”

“I can’t believe you! You idiot! Of course my trusted vampire lover who has been keeping me alive for centuries knows I’m no traitor, and we already know the dead VP couldn’t have been working against us, because he’s, well, DEAD. Are you really that stupid?” The ghoul screamed.

The receptionist, who had been quietly sobbing since the Vice President was found dead, stood up straight, eyes full of steely resolve. “Ever since I started working here, I knew there was something off about the CEO. No sultry pale skin, no sexy mountains of body hair… I didn’t come to a firm called Wolfington Investments to work for a dirty, rotten human!”

The CEO’s eyes grew wide. “But you’re human!”

“Oh come on, you and I both know it’s only a matter of time before I get turned into a vampire or…” The receptionist gestured to the glowing form floating nearby. “... or a freaking ghost, or something. But nothing could turn me into a stupid worm like you!”

“But… we thought that once we took control, you’d realise…”

The poltergeist grinned, Cheshire-like. “I know about taking control, you stupid twit. Did you really think we wouldn't figure you out? Just because you’re the CEO, doesn’t mean we can’t take you.”

“No! Reconsider, everyone. Forget about the fact that you’re monsters, you’re committing crimes! The stock market was not meant to be a plaything for the supernatural.”

The majority shareholder grinned and approached the CEO, speaking in a voice as smooth as silk. “Ah, but that’s where you’re wrong. It is our play thing, and it looks like our party is going to have a new toy.” The vampire’s head nestled in the CEO’s neck, and started drinking. The ghoul stood nearby, eyeing the onlookers suspiciously, lest they attack.

“And when our majority shareholder has finished taking their cut, I’ll take mine.” The poltergeist grinned, and the knives flew off the banquet tables and started floating menacingly around the CEO and the feeding vampire.

The receptionist looked at the scene, with dead bodies, shocked onlookers, and blood and viscera scattered around. Taking a step forward, standing next to the poltergeist, the receptionist smiled and asked a question to the glowing ghost:

“....so, are you single?”

Moody has been executed by the group vote. He was a Reformed Framer, aligned with scum.

Scum have all been eliminated - town wins!

The End!

Thanks everyone for playing, it was so much fun to write this flavour, I hope you all enjoyed it! And a big thankyou for Sabrar for his help with the setup.

I will post all the role PMs and privately sent flavour very soon, and explain the hidden mechanics.
Last edited by Madge on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:14 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:43 pm UTC

Good game guys! Good result to come home too!

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:45 pm UTC

Setup

The theme Sabrar came up with was "as your side starts losing, you get stronger"

Scum had a framer and a mason-finder, and when one died the other got a one-shot use of the other one's ability (meaning the remaining scum could and did use all 3 abilities (framer, mason-finder, NK) in one night)

The paranoid poltergeist role came because I told Sabrar I like PGOs and want one, he suggested a "paranoid roleblock owner" who roleblocks whoever kills them.

Town had a paired role and a trio.

The pair was the vampire shareholder and the ghoul; when one died, the other would be given a one-shot use of the other's power (so kind of like an inversion of the usual lovers trope: instead of being so sad at being alone, they are so ANGRY that someone killed their love that they need REVENGE - I got the idea from two uniques in the roguelike Crawl who do this)

The trio were the love interests (Vampire, Werewolf, Human: a classic triad). If one died, the other two became masons. (Either because the love triangle was resolved, or the vampire and werewolf decide to team up to avenge their mutual love interest)

Unjester was an indie I found on the mafiascum wiki, hadn't seen before, and Sabrar liked it as it was protown. I chose a mummy for the unjester in honour of DJ, who traditionally ran our halloween games and gave them amazing flavour (with far more spookiness than this one!)

Scum and unjester were all told there was no doc or cop. It would have been interesting if one had claimed while the other was alive.

Other fun facts:

Unless I screwed up, none of the characters have a gender.

I have been experimenting with replacing the word "lynch" with "execution", I don't think it detracts from the game.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 pm UTC

Good job Town! I'm really impressed how well you guys were able to reason (correctly) through some very challenging night results without a single misstep.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 pm UTC

Role PMs:

Spoiler:
Enamored Vampire Shareholder
Being a thousand years old would make anyone rich: you made your money in antiques and “inheriting” a property empire, but now you’re trying to be a multi-billionaire and becoming a majority shareholder in Wolfington Investments, along with its associated seat on the board, seemed like an expedient way to do it.

You’ve got expensive taste, so you’re always followed by your faithful assistant-slash-lover. Little does anyone know that they’re a human ghoul that you’ve been keeping alive for centuries with regular meals of your blood. Truthfully, you don’t know what you’d do without your Enamored Ghoul Assistant to help cater to your every whim.

Being as aged as you are, you love a good gossip and so you are great at following people around to see if you can find out any of their secrets. Perhaps that will be useful now that vampire hunters have unexpectedly taken control of the yearly Halloween Party?

Power: Tracker: You may target a player to be tracked, thus discovering who that player targeted.

Alignment: You are town.

Win Condition: You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.

Enamored Ghoul Assistant
You were never one for attention, but you did always want to live the high life. That’s why your relationship with the vampire who is a majority shareholder at Wolfington Investments is so special: not only are you madly in love, but you’re kept alive by regular meals of their blood and get to benefit from a huge bankroll that is concerned about nothing but your happiness.

Your regular meals of blood mean you don’t require any sleep and can focus for hours. You often spend your free time standing in the hallway, watching the comings and goings. Perhaps that habit will be useful now that vampire hunters have unexpectedly taken control of the yearly Halloween Party?

Power: Watcher: You may target a player to be watched, thus discovering who targeted that player.

Win Condition: You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.

Vampire Love Interest
You’ve got it all: a pale complexion, an all-black wardrobe, and you’re the Vice President of Wolfington Investments. Your special abilities are multitude: not only are you a master of stealth, but you have a way to be very persuasive when you want to be. You’ve been able to have everything you’ve ever wanted, except for the firm’s new receptionist. From the moment your eyes first met, you knew that you wanted to win their heart; unfortunately, it seems that the Chief Financial Officer also has eyes for the young receptionist. You want nothing more than to win the receptionist over; perhaps you’ll find an opportunity amid all the drama?

Power: None.

Werewolf Love Interest
You’ve got it all: rugged good looks, a surprising amount of body hair, and you’re the Chief Financial Officer of Wolfington Investments. Your verve and vigor has made you top dog, and you stand above the rest of the pack. You can turn into a wolf whenever you like, giving you keen hearing that you can use to spy on rival companies and the ability to walk unimpeded through a surprising number of places. The only thing you've wanted and haven't gotten is the love of the attractive human who you hired as your receptionist, who you knew you needed to be with ever since you first smelled their intoxicating odor; unfortunately, it seems that the Vice President also has eyes for the young receptionist. You want nothing more than to win the receptionist over; perhaps you’ll find an opportunity amid all the drama?

Human Love Interest
You thought you were taking a simple reception job at Wolfington Investments, but nothing could be further from the truth. From the sexy, enigmatic Vice President who is very particular about shutters being securely closed in all meeting rooms to the ruggedly attractive Chief Financial Officer who is always eating very rare steaks: this place is full of HEART THROBS. You are madly in love with both of them, but you have no idea how you could possibly choose. You figured that during the annual Halloween party something extra romantic would happen to help you make your decision, but that’s when a group of teens took over the building. You look from the CFO to the VP and you wonder if you could possibly come to a decision; perhaps you’ll find an opportunity amid all the drama?

Power: None

Paranoid Poltergeist
You may be just another member of the Wolfington Investments board of directors, but you get results: whenever a CEO of a company whose stock you want to short is about to give an important address, you start haunting their mansion. Knives fly, lights flicker, and the powerful CEO is a quivering wreck for days. Their stock falls and you are laughing all the way to the bank!

Although you are already dead, any skilled vampire hunter knows how to dissipate you for the final time. However, you will be able to maintain a feeble link with the outside world just long enough to haunt the poor soul who killed you for one final, horrible night.

Power: Haunting: If you are night killed, the player who killed you will be roleblocked the following Night.

Mummy Unjester
You were once an ancient egyptian priest awaiting your final judgement, until the staff at Wolfington Investments performed a black magic ritual to animate your shambling, bandaged corpse. They’ve been forcing you to participate in arcane prophecy rituals ever since, and you’ve had enough. The recent incursion of hunters and the deaths that will no doubt come along with them have given you renewed hope. If you are killed while the moon is up, your patron deity Khonsu will allow you to pass peacefully into the Fields of Reeds. Unfortunately, being executed during daylight allows Ra’s attention to be focused upon you, and he will surely send you to be judged by Osiris. After all the unethical things the staff at Wolfington have forced you to do, you do not want to risk that.

Alignment: You are independent.

Win Condition: You win when you are killed during the night phase. You lose if you die by any other means or are alive when the game is finished.

Extra information: This setup does not have a cop or doctor. The town win condition is “You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.”

Reformed Framer
You have to be a crook to get ahead in the world, which you know better than anyone. It’s also a dog-eat-dog world. That’s why, after doing your time, you decided to go straight and climbed the corporate later until you became the CEO of Wolfington Investments. After a few years you started noticing things were not as they seemed: some employees were awfully pale, and the forecasts of the prediction team seemed to be eerily accurate.

You ended up looking through the deep web where you met up with some plucky teen vampire hunters and, well, the rest is history! You’ve helped engineer the yearly Halloween party to be the perfect opportunity for those hunters to stage their attack, and you plan to do everything you can to help them. You and your co-conspirator have a variety of backup plans and dead man’s switches, so even if one of you is incapacitated, the other should be able to finish the job.

You’re surrounded by supernatural foes who are trying to find the hunters in their midst, but your previous life of crime means you’re no stranger to compromising investigations. You might be able to throw them off the scent.

Power: Framer: You can target one player each night and name another player. If an investigative ability is used on the targeted player, the second player’s name will appear in the results. (The second player you name does not count as being targeted by you).

Alignment: You are mafia with XXXX and may chat with them at any time.

Faction power: You may kill one player per night. Please inform the mods via PM of your target and who you nominate to carry out the kill. If you do not nominate someone to carry out the kill, the person who submitted the kill will be assumed to carry it out.

Win Condition: You win if at least one member of your group is alive and all other players are dead (or if nothing can prevent the same).

Extra information: This setup does not have a cop or doctor. The town win condition is “You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.”

Changeling Teen Hacker
As a fairy swapped at birth for a human baby, people would be forgiven for thinking you were trouble. But that’s not your fault, you never asked your biological parents to swap you with an innocent child, after all! You grew up loved and cared for by wonderful people - humans, all of them - and came to realise that humanity doesn’t deserve to be preyed upon by supernatural creatures.

You started out with what you thought was a simple summer job doing tech support, but quickly realised that it was just crawling with non-humans of all stripes who were taking advantage of the innocents. So you put together a rag-tag team of teens and together you are going to rid the world of the supernatural menace, starting with the famous Wall Street brokerage company Wolfington Investments.

You just know that if you destroy all the beasts that work for Wolfington Investments, and their human sympathisers, it will be enough to break the masquerade and the world will finally be able to work together to rid itself of the supernatural menace once and for all. So you and your team are working together to vanquish the lot of them during the company’s Halloween party. You’ll be able to help a lot just by being one of their contacts on the inside; plus, your access to the IT systems means that it’s hard for people to hide their business from you. You and your co-conspirator have a variety of backup plans and dead man’s switches, so even if one of you is incapacitated, the other should be able to finish the job.

Power: Mason Finder: You can target one player each night to learn whether they are currently in a Mason chat.

Alignment: You are mafia with XXXX and may chat with them at any time.

Faction power: You may kill one player per night. Please inform the mods via PM of your target and who you nominate to carry out the kill. If you do not nominate someone to carry out the kill, the person who submitted the kill will be assumed to carry it out.

Win Condition: You win if at least one member of your group is alive and all other players are dead (or if nothing can prevent the same).

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:50 pm UTC

Night 1 Flavour - "you are now masons"

Spoiler:
Oh my goodness! That was horrible, seeing the Chief Financial Officer getting turned into a frog - GROSS - and then squished. Also, the part with transforming into a wolf was pretty horrible, too - but there was something awfully sensual about those strong paws and all that fur… The Receptionist tries to snap out of it. It looks like the decision they were procrastinating for so long has finally been made. Time to find out what the Vice President has to offer!

Meanwhile, the Vice President grins; it wasn’t the best way for this to have happened, but the competition over the Receptionist’s heart is finally over. Time to enjoy their uncomplicated romance for a little while, at least until everyone starts accusing each other of murder again.

The Receptionist is young enough to have mastered the art of texting undetected, while the Vice President is a stealthy creature of the night. They immediately grab their phones and start texting back and forth. After the declarations of undying love are over, they can start working out how to get out of this so that way the Vice President can remain in a position of power and the Receptionist can live a life of luxury in their mansion rather than answering phones for a pittance.

Following the death of the Chief Financial Officer, you are now masons. You may chat at any time, including tonight.

You are both town.

You are NOT lovers.

Please include the mods in all communications and let the mods know if/when you are happy to end your chat and begin Day 2 early.

Day 2 Flavour, Maven finds out jimbob is a mason

Spoiler:
Oh em gee, this is so exciting! Your plan is working perfectly. Who knew your internship at Wolfington Investments would be so instrumental in bringing those horrible supernatural creatures to justice?

Using your mobile phone and your faerie stealth, you telnet into Jimbob’s phone to sniff out any packets that are being sent to people within the room. And zoinks! You’ve found some. Of course, in line with the IT security features you helped implement, they’re encrypted, so you’re not sure what they’re saying or to whom. But you know something’s going on!

Jimbob is currently in a mason chat.

Day 2 flavour, wam finds that Maven targeted LaserGuy
Spoiler:
Okay, keeping watch on someone in pitch darkness amid all the confusion is VERY, VERY different to watching the comings and goings in a hotel, but if you stand really, really close to LaserGuy you can listen for what’s happening with your heightened Ghoul senses.

You hear one set of footsteps approaching, and then leaving.

But you recognise that gait. There’s only one person it could possibly be!

Maven89 visited LaserGuy

Day 2 flavour, tell bessie that wam targeted both Maven and LaserGuy
Spoiler:
As a vampire, you’re a master of stealth, and you can watch people from afar with your superhuman eyesight or up close by turning into a cloud of mist. You decide to go for the second option, and float behind wam who is running from place to place in the short, frenetic period of darkness.

My, my. It seems that Wam has a very full dance card tonight…

Wam visited Maven89 and LaserGuy

Night 2 flavour - moody now has one shot hacker

Spoiler:
It turns out your hacker friend had a dead man’s switch; you receive an email on your phone shortly after the lights go out, and it reads:

I wasn’t expecting to survive through this, I’m not human anyway, it’s your battle to fight. But if I’m gone, I can’t help you anymore, so I’ve got a gift for you. If you open the attachment, you’ll see a script I wrote. The way it works is complicated, but it’ll tell you if people are texting each other on the down low - they might be colluding against us. Unfortunately, the firewall I set up uses deep learning to patch security flaws on the fly, so it’ll only work once, so use it widely. (Hey, I can’t help that I’m awesome at my job, can I?)

There’s a .jar file attached to the email.

You have been given a one-shot mason finder ability.

You can use this in addition to your role power and your factional kill (i.e. you can perform all three actions in one night)

Day 3 - Bessie sees that jimbob visits conman

Spoiler:
You decide that turning into a mist two power outages in a row might make people start asking questions, so you simply use your vampiric stealth to stalk your target. In all the confusion you find yourself starting to wonder whether they’re edible.

Your target is on the move! The gaggle of partygoers seems to part for them, until they reach another person dressed in last season’s shoes. You wouldn’t be caught dead wearing something so out of date. But you know who would…

Jimbob visited Conman in the night.

Day 3 - Wam sees nobody visited him
Spoiler:
You’ve got to look out for number one, and that’s you! Once the lights go out you run into a corner, sit in a chair, and stare, practically daring someone to approach you.

Alas, you sit through the chaotic darkness alone.

Nobody visited Wam in the night.

Day 3 - Moody finds that bessie is not a mason
Spoiler:
Okay, is this how that thing works? You never were good with technology after all that time in the poke. You click on the file in your phone’s email client, type in the name (very carefully), and lime green code appears on the black screen. You don’t know what to look for at first, but then you find it:

isUsing.Phone() = false;

Bessie is not currently in a mason chat.

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:28 am UTC

That was a really fun setup. Great hosting Madge and Sabrar, thank you for running it. Madge, your ability to write interesting flavor so quickly is breathtaking.

I am sorry that my deception influenced your Night action, Bessie. I made my post on a whim, hoping to save the Vice President and his beautiful body, but it certainly backfired. I usually try not to be deceptive as a Town and that is why.

It was really fun playing with all of you. I will certainly return in the future!

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:44 am UTC

Penn Jillette said "you can do anything as long as it's not what you're actually meant to be doing" - having jobs to apply for and exams to study for means that writing flavour is the perfect procrastination tool! :)

I very much appreciate the compliment, the day start/end flavour would take about 30 minutes apiece to do, but it's peanuts compared with what it takes to play, so you know :)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:07 am UTC

Actually, bessie only thought she saw wam go to Maven and jimbob see ConMan. I think it's a little funny that both of my actions ended up messing with her, and she was still only mildly suspicious.

Wherever he was playing before, Hari's got chops. I was already planning what my D4 opening post would have been (for the record, it would have been "The pitch has dropped, the black swan has been found, bessie is scum.") until his post here, at which point I went "well, shit". The reason I never got back to you on your points is that you had me dead to rights.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:17 am UTC

Town played very well, I'm upset I was so innactive day 1, some real life job issues stopped me from going at it, by the time I was ready to commit I was already caught. Either way, town would have won this game.

Gotta say though, Watcher is a much more powerful role than the mods seemed to give it credit for. I'd argue that it's more powerful than a tracker, it's almost always easier to target the night kill than it is to target the person doing the kill.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:33 am UTC

Great job Town!

Maven89 wrote:Gotta say though, Watcher is a much more powerful role than the mods seemed to give it credit for. I'd argue that it's more powerful than a tracker, it's almost always easier to target the night kill than it is to target the person doing the kill.
Normally I would disagree (obviously). Tracker always gives you back some result - even if negative - and scum should rarely go for the most obvious Watcher/Doc target anyway. However I might not have updated my thinking to take into account the size of the game, with fewer players Watcher indeed becomes more powerful.
On another note people really don't believe VT claims around here even if true (Fridge Mafia is a good example for that). You could have gotten wam mislynched D2 if not for that.

wam

Postby wam » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:12 pm UTC

Great game thanks for running it. I did enjoy the variations on normal roles. There was a point I was worried town would lynch me then maven then Bessie!

Also Bessie you can't view all meta challenges as scummy! One of these days you will be scum.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:50 pm UTC

Also wam, I'm not sure if you read through all the spoilers, but the reason you and jimbob got different answers about the importance of flavour is because you asked different questions: jimbob asked along the lines of "is the flavour just flavour or does it mean something?" and I replied it wasn't just flavour. You straight out asked if you were a Lover, and I truthfully told you that you weren't.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:36 pm UTC

Thanks for running the game Madge & Sabrar. I really enjoyed the flavour, and the setup.

I liked the setup. It looks like my death was guaranteed once Maven targeted me N1. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had we not lynched Peaceful Whale on D1, and Maven had gotten a false result that night. As it was, it looks like things worked out anyway.

Good job Hari for working it out, and thank you for being a solid mason buddy. I'm glad that we placed those breadcrumbs in the end, given how suspicions looked at you around your claim.

Apologies to Peaceful Whale. I imagine you've read the spoilers with my reasons for lynching you, despite being pretty sure of your townieness by the end of the day, a) I couldn't be 100% certain that you were town, and b) I was close to 100% certain that I'd gain some kind of ability with your death.

Well done to the rest of town for figuring things out as a whole.

Maven, I think Sabrar hit the nail on the head. You might have gotten away with it had you claimed a non-vanilla role, especially with bessie claiming as she did. But, obviously you can't be blamed for not knowing the forum meta.

Moody, you did a good job early on. Hari and I had you as the towniest read during D2. Maybe next time!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:35 pm UTC

Wow, good job with the setup, I wish I didn't disqualify myself so early :oops: Although I probably would've got rather confused by the end. Who am I kidding, I actually got confused...
Congratulations town and sorry ConMan for leaving you with such a mess.
—◯-◯

wam

Postby wam » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:31 pm UTC

Madge I did see that and I should have realised once I got no to the lovers that there was more too it. Rather than just assuming it was only flavour

Return to “Mafia”