Zenii's Minis - BiM: The Egg

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

SuperJedi224

Re: Zenii's Minis - BiM: The Egg

Postby SuperJedi224 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:56 am UTC

##Shoot wam with pistol
My youtube channel.

New avatar by adnapemit.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:01 pm UTC

@wam: you've ignored my question. "Do you need to be alive to win?"

Also, I'd like you to give me your stuff so I can see what it does and figure out how to break the game. I'd like to set things up so everyone gets their secondary win condition, and you two are both low enough hp that when one dies, if I made the wrong call I have the AP to kill the other one.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:12 pm UTC

No I don't.

And I'm a dwarf we don't give up our stuff!

There are game reasons I don't want to give any items away.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:19 pm UTC

Obviously you need to have the most stuff at the end. I get that. I'll give you enough valuable stuff that you meet that win condition before anyone dies.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:39 pm UTC

wam wrote:##attack Jedi with axe.

> SuperJedi takes 4 damage

SuperJedi224 wrote:##Shoot wam with pistol

> wam takes 1 damage

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:41 pm UTC

## attack Jedi with axe.

@boom going to level with you. For every negative value trade I make I lose 1 ap. So hence not wanting to give it away as I'm low now.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:52 pm UTC

wam wrote:## attack Jedi with axe.

@boom going to level with you. For every negative value trade I make I lose 1 ap. So hence not wanting to give it away as I'm low now.

>SuperJedi takes 4 damage

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:37 pm UTC

##attack Jedi with axe

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:47 pm UTC

wam wrote:##attack Jedi with axe

>SuperJedi takes 4 damage.
>Super Jedi has been defeated.

His final Status was:

Win conditions
1. Destroy the egg.

Stats

Hit Points: 0
Action Points: 20

Equipment & Abilities

Pistol
AP Cost: 0
Rounds: 2 Steel Rounds; 2 Strength each.
Value: 25
Description: A standard pistol.

Gold
Value: 100

Madge Staff
AP Cost (Attack): 1
AP Cost (Heal): 2
Strength: 1
Heal: 2
Value: 150
Description: 10x more resilient than the strongest of Mage staves. Takes out zenii armor in a single blow.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:54 pm UTC

## attack boom with axe

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:00 pm UTC

wam wrote:## attack boom with axe

>Boom takes 4 damage.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:27 pm UTC

## attack boom with axe

Repeat till he's dead

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 pm UTC

wam wrote:## attack boom with axe

Repeat till he's dead

> wam takes 12 damage.
> Boom takes 12 damage.
> Boom has been defeated.

>wam defeats his companions and escapes with the egg.

Roles:
Spoiler:
Skylar the Elf

Why did the high priestess have to send YOU on this assignment. Surely you're worth more than mucking around in the woods with these filthy creatures? Nevertheless, you shan't complaint. The journey was surely worth it. You'd trek a thousand times over just to gaze upon it, the egg... You had never seen such beauty. Not even your own reflection could compare to its elegance.

And now one of them has stolen it. Surely it was that greedy dwarf. He could barely keep his hands off when the three of you found it. Then again, you had noticed the human stealing glances every so often...

Whatever the case, you must protect the egg and its extravagance at all costs. You don't want to get your hands too dirty though. You have your own beauty to protect.

Win conditions
1. Defeat the egg thief.
2. Be the most beautiful living player -- i.e, have the highest amount of hit points -- at the end of the game.

Stats
Starting HP (Hit Points): 15
Starting AP (Action Points): 20

Equipment & Abilities:

Telepathy
AP Cost: 1
Description: Sends a telepathic message to another player. PM the mod with the message and to whom it is directed to.

Steel Dagger
AP Cost: 3
Strength: 2
Value: 10
Description: A standard dagger.

Mielikki's Bow
AP Cost: 5
Strength: 3 (per player)
Value: 500
Description: Deals damage to every other player.

Eye of Vicarin
Description: View the current HP of another player.

Reflective Amulet
AP Cost: 5
Value: 1000
Description: If attacked during the next action, will reflect the resulting damage upon the attacker.

Domkin the Dwarf

THOSE *******! YOU KNEW YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN IT WHEN YOU HAD THE CHANCE. DONT TOUCH IT, THEY SAID. IT WILL POSSESS YOUR SOUL, THEY SAID. LIARS! THESE TWO WERE GREEDIER THAN A MOUNTAIN OF DWARFS. FOR ALL YOU KNOW, THE TWO OF THEM ARE IN CAHOOTS. WELL, YOU WONT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT. IF YOU CAN'T HAVE THE EGG, NO ONE CAN.

Win conditions
1. Defeat the egg thief.
2. Be the wealthiest living player -- i.e, have the highest total value of items -- at the end of the game.

Stats
Starting HP (Hit Points): 20
Starting AP (Action Points): 10

Equipment & Abilities

Appraise
Description: Determine the value of a named item.

Steal
AP Cost: 8
Description: Steal a specified item from a specified player.

Flaming Axe of Aldragon
AP Cost: 3
Strength: 4
Value: 50
Description: Said to have been forged from dragon's breath. Pierces through steel and lesser armor.

Boom's Gambit
Description: Who know's what will happen.

Steel Armor
Value: 50

Gold
Value: 500

Dwarfian Law of Unequivalent Exchange
Description: Gain an AP every time you profit from a trade or gift, lose an AP every time you lose from a trade or gift.

Mike the Human

You're just a human, and an average one at that. You don't live hundreds of years or have any special powers. But what you do have is cunning, courage, and willpower. Oh, and guns. Lots of guns.

Mankind's industrial vigor has created weaponry that no other race thought possible. It is the lust for enterprise that has kept man prosperous in world of magical beings. That is why you had to take it, the egg. The elves would have stored it away in some temple to be doted upon. The dwarfs would have hoarded it away with all of their other gaudy treasures. But you will use it. To build and create. To protect and destroy... You wont allow it to be locked away -- its power unharnessed.

Win conditions
1. Defeat your companions.

Stats
Starting HP (Hit Points): 15
Starting AP (Action Points): 10

Equipment & Abilities

Pistol
Rounds: 6 Steel Rounds; 2 Strength each.
Value: 25
Description: A standard pistol.

Semi-Automatic Crossbow
Rounds: 2 Sappy Arrows (Prevents a player from using an action until another player uses an action)
Value: 40
Description: This ain't your grandpa's crossbow.

Diamond Dagger
AP Cost: 20
Strength: 10
Description: A rare blade.

Madge Staff
AP Cost (Attack): 1
AP Cost (Heal): 2
Heal: 2
Value: 150
Description: 10x more resilient than the strongest of Mage staves. Takes out zenii armor in a single blow.

The Egg
Value: 1,000,000
Description: Absorbs the souls of defeated enemies. For each soul acquired, grants the wielder 100 AP.

Gold

Fake Win Conditions:
1. Defeat the Egg thief.
2. Be the most productive living player -- i.e, have the highest amount of action points -- at the end of the game.

Quicktopics:

Skylar
Domkin
Mike

Domkin alignment change:
Spoiler:
Some time with the egg has caused you to come to your senses. You realize now that the egg is all that matters: there is nothing that will ever be more valuable. You must escape with the egg at all costs.

Your Win Condition has changed:
1. Defeat your companions.

Mike alignment change:
Spoiler:
Some time without the egg has caused you to come to your senses. You realize now that the egg is evil: it draws upon one's base desires, causing them to do unspeakable things. The egg must be destroyed.

Your Win Condition has changed:
1. Destroy the egg.

Bugs:

Domkin was way OP. 20 Def + Armor + 3ap/4str weapon made her very hard to defeat. Furthermore, there was no counter to the steal ability, other than the original egg possessor coming out and revealing what had happened.

Skylar was under powered. Domkin was intended to have the advantage of defense, Mike the advantage or attack, and Skylar the advantage of action. The Reflective Amulet was too restrictive though as it prevented the user from doing anything else while activated.

As Vic pointed out, Madge staff is particularly powerful because of a potential multi-attack.

I didn't anticipate just how strong 1 str defensive armor would be. Madge staff was originally going to be able to break all armor, but in a three person game I felt that would make the armor moot even if it was a 1 shot. Thinking about it now, I could have simply made armor-breaking a third Madge staff ability with a high AP cost.

Domkin's Unequivalent Exchange ability was also exploitable as all he had to do was have people give him gold.

Concepts:

So normally in Bad idea Mafia, most town members are given a gun and have full ability to kill a player at any time. As a three person game, however, I wanted to balance it between individual efficacy and majority rule. Ideally, players had to play cooperatively in order to kill just as in standard mafia. Boom seemed to be the only player with the desire to work together, however, and I think that hindered the game. Even with wam's overpowered defense and HP, it was still possible for Boom and Jedi to win had they coordinated actions. They just needed two strikes with the Diamond Dagger.

Another aspect of cooperation was the secondary win conditions. With these, I was aiming for sort of Settlers of Catan meets RPG meets Mafia. Ideally, you had to work together and make trades to achieve your second condition. Each player had something another needed and each player had something the another envied.

Skylar had high AP, envied by Mike
Domkin had high HP, envied by Skylar
Mike had high value, envied by Domkin

Mike had Madge staff, needed by Skylar
Domkin had Boom's Gambit, needed by Mike
Skylar & Mike had valuable items, needed by Domkin

If Domkin chose the route of defeating the egg thief, she would still need to trade in order to have the highest value.
However, she could also simply become the egg thief and gain the highest value that way.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:43 am UTC

Well, I'm going to call that a moral victory since I was right about who was scum but just couldn't figure out how to kill them even with two people working together. The win with the dimond dagger would have taken an astounding level of coordination and trust to have actually figured out that was what we needed to do and do it before wam figures out he only needs to execute one person. And we can't heal or use reflection or we won't have the energy to use the dagger twice.

Also, annoyed that the Madge staff keep it's description dispite not breaking armor anymore.

That said, the game was delightful. I've toyed with RPGish roles for mafia and the idea of multiple small day actions works better then I expected it to. I also loved the meta flavor names. I'll think about running something like this in the future.

Thank you for the game Zenii.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:48 am UTC

This was amazing and was awesome to watch, thank you so much for running it Zenii, like I said in the gojoe thread it was a lovely little interlude!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:00 am UTC

Glad you enjoyed!

@boom: to clarify, Madge staff is effective against Zenii armor. Zenii armor just wasn't in the game.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:08 am UTC

I should have gotten four uses of the reflective amulet I think. I got ap for wam final attacks on super Jedi and his attacks on me.

Still if we played it out Wam could have figured his way around the amulet.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:24 am UTC

I applied 4, no? Reason why it was 12 damage on wam was cause of the -1 each hit from armor.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:44 am UTC

The axe says it goes through armor.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:48 am UTC

Oh true. Reflective Amulet absorbs & rebounds the same strength that was used against it (like in magical beam form). It doesn't take on the attributes of the weapon used against it.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:34 am UTC

Great game Zen thanks for running it. I did wonder when I stole the egg whether no one had originally stolen it!

Sorry boom but I was just trying to work out who had the egg so I could steal it!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:09 pm UTC

We could have won together you greedy dwarf!

Return to “Mafia”