The Mafia with the Golden Gun (Day 007 End & Epilogue)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

SuicideJunkie

The Mafia with the Golden Gun (Day 007 End & Epilogue)

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:16 pm UTC

The Mafia with the Golden Gun
Spy vs Spy

Bookmarks and Countdown Clock:
Day 001(Done)
Evening 001 (Done)
Night 001 (Done)
Day 002 (Done)
Evening/Night 002 (Done)
Day 003 (Done)
Evening 003 (Done)
Night 003 (Done)
Day 004 (Done)
Evening/Night 004 (Done)
Day 005 (Done)
Evening/Night 005 (Done)
Day 006 (Done)
Day 007 / Epilogue

Spoilery Plot Summary (of actual game choices/events)

Rules:
Mod: SuicideJunkie
Speed: approx 4 day Days, 3 day split Nights.
Bastardry: Closed setup with transferrable powers (gadgets) and customized roles. Custom vote and night action mechanics.

Note: Reviewing the plot online may be of some utility, but it will go off the rails quickly with players involved.

Standard Rules:
Spoiler:
  1. Do not talk about the game outside of this thread, apart from in a properly labeled spoiler in the discussion thread.
  2. Please stay on topic at all times.
  3. Lurking is frowned upon; if you need to drop out, please let me know as soon as possible. If someone feels that another player isn't contributing to game play, please make me aware. Modkills will be handed out if replacement cannot be found without regard to balance.
  4. If you aren't part of this game, please do not post in the thread.
  5. Once it is nighttime, do not post in the thread.
  6. You may not quote the contents of any PM related to this game, but you can paraphrase.
  7. If you have been killed in game, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information. Or something along those lines, without giving out any information or hints to anyone still playing.
  8. You may not edit your posts unless explicitly told to do so by the mod (which is not in any way expected to happen).
  9. You cannot ruin the game for other players.
  10. You must play to achieve your win condition. If your win condition is inevitable/decided and the game has not ended yet, try to help your allies or foil your enemies.
  11. Please make an effort to include the mods on all PMs. Mistakes happen but make me aware if they do.
  12. All votes must be bolded and on a separate line. Unvotes are strongly preferred but not required. If I miss something, let me know.

Game Specific Rules (IMPORTANT: Please Read):
This game has three phases.
    1. Day phase: You may post in thread as normal, but be mindful of temporary post restrictions. It is Evening as soon as the mod posts a day-end post.
    2. (Evening) Travel phase: You may not post in thread. This is the travel phase of night; PM your actions to the moderator. Once all actions are in or the deadline has been reached, results will be returned and the Night phase will begin. (NOTE: Feel free to submit your plans before Evening technically starts to speed up the night processing! If there is a publically-announced event late in the day, please confirm your plans have not changed.)
    3. (Night) Espionage phase: You may not post in thread. This is the espionage phase of night; consider the results of travel, and PM your remaining actions to the mod. Once all actions are in or the deadline has been reached, results will be returned and the next Day phase will begin.
  1. Lynching is customized.
    1. There are hidden vote modifiers. Four votes to arrest is a reasonable expectation, but this will vary significantly.
    2. When a victim has enough votes, the mod will privately notify the appropriate player(s) that they have been arrested by the police.
    3. After an arrest, discussion may continue until the Evening phase normally begins.
    4. Arrested players may use their phone call to make one final post after being arrested.
    5. Arrested players also have the right to remain silent and may choose to not make a final statement.
  2. You may not use encryption systems in order to communicate privately or circumvent these rules. (Gadgets have been provided!)
  3. I will not lie to you or provide intentionally misleading information, but may choose not to answer questions.
  4. Please be mindful of any posting restrictions or other restrictions on your abilities. Failure to do so for optional restrictions will result in either a penalty to you or a bonus to your enemies, depending on the restriction. Non-optional restrictions will be clearly labelled.
  5. Roles will not be revealed on death. Instead, the player's safehouse is available for snooping and looting by anyone willing to do so during the night.
  6. MYLO/LYLO will NOT be announced. The game will continue until all players' victory conditions are achieved, failed, or inevitable.
  7. Players may self-target and/or target dead players! This is in fact recommended. Many gadgets are quite useful when installed in your own safehouse, and unoccupied safehouses are ripe for looting.
  8. You are still in the game until a mod informs you otherwise, even if voted off (see #2) or apparently killed (see gadgets). Please do not read spoilers until you are informed you may do so.
  9. Roles have been assigned via a set of fair dice rolls. Except for one case which will not impact the plot.
  10. Gadgets and equipment given to each role is a mix of some pre-assigned appropriate items, and a random distribution of the leftover generic gadgets. Gadgets which rolled to an invalid player were re-rolled.
  11. Some win conditions are more vague than others. Investigation and observation of your targets may be required.

Sample Town role PM:
Spoiler:
You are the average MI6 operative Joe Smith, a loyal agent of MI6 currently under cover with the alias SuicideJunkie.

During the current crisis, all available agents have been activated, and MI6 has reassigned you from head of tea management at HQ to shadowing and providing assistance to their top agent 007. While not the most skilled agent, you have been well equipped as Q spared no expense for this crisis.

Special:
  • Your spy-agency-grade tea preparation skills allow you to instantly identify and safely handle any edible gadgets you come across.
  • Killing another MI6 agent is grounds for immediate termination.
  • You may perform 5 action points each day/night.

Win Conditions:
  • All threats to MI6 are neutralized.
  • Deliver a stockpile of Tea to at least half of the MI6 agents in the field.

Your safehouse is equipped with:
  • Two unmarked delivery vans (Travel costs 2, can carry large or unlimited items)
  • An effectively unlimited supply of Irish Breakfast Tea.

Additionally, you have a collection of useful spy gadgets in your possession:
  • MI6 Level-T clearance (grants access through security systems)
  • Scent tracker - you are unaffected by stealth and evasion when tracking anyone to whom you have delivered tea.
  • Silenced Pistol (One use) - You may attack another player, or defend yourself in a shootout. Optional: Remove silencer to louden your action.
  • Water-activated flashbang teabag (one-shot, automatic escape from a shootout)

Game Phase Details
Day:
  • Each player starts D1 with 5 max action points.
  • Action points are restored to maximum at dawn, and may go up or down from there.
  • "Bonus" action points may be saved up between days and spent any time.
  • You may preemptively take applicable night actions which apply to your own safehouse during the day for half cost (total cost rounded up).

Travel/Pursuit (Evening) Action:
Choose One:
  • Stay Home(0 ap)
  • Visit a Player (Specify if using a vehicle, otherwise 2ap for Public Transit)
    • You may spend more than the base amount to try to evade trackers.
  • Follow a player (Requires vehicle, see vehicle for cost)
    • You may spend more than the base amount to try to track evaders. Ties are successful.
    • Specify a fallback destination in case you are unable to track.

Espionage/Sabotage (Night) Action:
Choose a prioritized list of actions to spend your remaining points on. (1ap each by default):
  • Attack a player at your location (0ap cost if you tracked them here, requires weapon)
  • Bypass/avoid a known gadget, trap or security system.
  • Snoop for clues and gadgets.
  • Use a known gadget. (See gadget for details; generally, activate the ability manually, or plant the gadget somewhere for future ability use)
  • Steal a gadget. (Specify a known item or category, otherwise random)
  • Stakeout/Watch the safehouse
Note: If an alarm is set off by you or another intruder, further night actions will be abandoned before the police arrive.

You will then return to your own safehouse before dawn.

Player List:

1. wam
  2. Sabrar
  3. moody7277
  4. Mark_Cangila
  5. Freezeblade
  6. somitomi
  7. plytho
  8. Bessie

Role List:
  • -=REDACTED=-
Last edited by SuicideJunkie on Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 pm UTC, edited 28 times in total.

SuicideJunkie

Re: The Mafia with the Golden Gun (D1)

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:41 pm UTC

Role PMs have all been sent out.
Please confirm when you have received them.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:49 pm UTC

Confirm.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:54 pm UTC

Confirmed, HQ
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:59 pm UTC

Confirm.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:16 pm UTC

Confirm
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

wam

Postby wam » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:17 pm UTC

Confirm
Come join us playing mafia signup here

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:20 am UTC

Confirm.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:30 am UTC

Confirm
—◯-◯ FG Discord

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:43 pm UTC

It looks like we're just waiting on Mark_Cangila, but it hasn't been a day yet.
I've had some good clarification questions asked. Now's an ideal time to chip in if you have any questions about your abilities and gadgets.

General Notes:
- Item Mods can be installed or removed from another item as an action. They do nothing on their own, but can be mixed and matched to improve your gear. If an item is stolen, the mods attached to it come along for free.
- You can only steal things you can plausibly carry. More difficult items may need vehicles or tools and will be noted when you find them.
Edit to add:
- Dropping things you don't want is free, but the item in question will not be hidden, armed or activated. Gifting things this way still requires travel to the location.

Mark_Cangila wrote:<Ping>

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:31 pm UTC

Oh no I forgot to check this sorry. Confirm

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:03 pm UTC

Day 1 Dawns
While some come to Bangkok for business and some for pleasure, there is always plenty of action and excitement to go around in the big city. February has the best weather of the year, and tourists are flocking to the area.
Today brings a rush of a different kind of tourist; the kind more interested in the people than the sights, and the kind not much concerned with your desire for privacy. Spies from around the world have found their way here, ostensibly for a multitude of reasons, and events are building towards a showdown.
These days, while the weather is nice, your new neighbours decidedly are not.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 pm UTC

My, oh my. What an interesting setup.

Could there be spoiler-reading or listening abilities?

What exactly does Stakeout do?

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:My, oh my. What an interesting setup.
I'm definitely going to need to read it soon :D

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:33 pm UTC

There is no spoiler-reading at all. That's OOC stuff.
There are no listening abilities inherent to a character, but this is a spy game and spy gadgets are going to spy in various ways. Snooping your own safehouse is a legitimate action to consider.
Stakeout is just a fancy name for watching (ie: see who visits at night)

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:49 pm UTC

Thanks Sabrar.
I hope you all like the setup. It has consumed me for the last two months or so, and I had to keep mowing down the weedy ideas that got too crazy.
(EG: Your safehouses are NOT actually plotted out on google maps in this final version)

wam

Postby wam » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:54 pm UTC

Yeah I have read the rules twice and I'm not sure.

Also based on rule 2 a I would suggest we don't rvs in this game!

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:56 pm UTC

Why do you think I didn't immediately vote for you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

wam

Postby wam » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:11 pm UTC

Because the mafia gods wouldn't make me scum that many times in a row. :twisted:

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:15 pm UTC

...They wouldn't?
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:33 pm UTC

Lots of bells and whistles to play with. Getting down to fundamentals, seven seems like it would be an awkward number of players to balance for. 5-2 gets you to LYLO with one mislynch, while 6-1 seems a bit lonely for scum.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:41 am UTC

I don't know if the typical wisdom about balancing numbers can be applied to this setup, which appears to be not only power-heavy, but also with varying forms of non-traditional mechanisms, which could easily throw our concepts of "balance" for a loop.

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:10 am UTC

I'm thinking 5-2 could work. Powers might counteract the lynch. I'm also thinking that independents are gonna be common. I think town aligned indies are gonna be the most common. There might also be a king of some sort. In the movie Bond was a special target.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:19 am UTC

Confirmation post analysis: All acceptable.
Setup spec: Not yet.

Sabrar: Why didn’t you ask your setup questions during the confirmation phase in thread, or by sending the mod a pm before the game started? There were 23 hours between the opening post and your first post, and it is unlike you to wait to ask when you have something on your mind. Or did you want to be seen asking questions in thread?

FoS Sabrar.

plytho wrote:
By the time you see this, you will have had two days. So what do you think now that you’ve read it?

Sabrar wrote:Why do you think I didn't immediately vote for you? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is it because wam is your scum partner?

wam wrote:Because the mafia gods wouldn't make me scum that many times in a row. :twisted:
freezeblade might have something to say about this comment. Oh look, he did!

moody7277 wrote:Lots of bells and whistles to play with. Getting down to fundamentals, seven seems like it would be an awkward number of players to balance for. 5-2 gets you to LYLO with one mislynch, while 6-1 seems a bit lonely for scum.
Perhaps it’s not balanced for seven.

FoS freezeblade.

FoS Mark_Cangila.

bessie’s standard Woof-Grrr based on no content whatsoever:

Woof
bessie
somitomi
Sabrar
plytho
BoomFrog
Mark_Cangila
moody7277
freezeblade
wam
Grrr

Which...looks reasonable for now.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 am UTC

Here's the countdown to Evening001

Votals:
None

EDIT: Timezone math is harder than it looks.
Last edited by SuicideJunkie on Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:12 am UTC

That’s a pretty short deadline. There’s less than two days, and somitomi’s still lurking. If we don’t have time to talk enough and catch scum by analyzing content, I suggest we follow my standard list and just lynch wam. Unless everyone would rather lynch Sabrar.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:28 am UTC

bessie wrote:Sabrar: Why didn’t you ask your setup questions during the confirmation phase in thread, or by sending the mod a pm before the game started? There were 23 hours between the opening post and your first post, and it is unlike you to wait to ask when you have something on your mind. Or did you want to be seen asking questions in thread?
I asked some private questions in pm. I asked questions that would benefit others as well publicly. If there were spoiler-reading roles then my question would have the potential of influencing actual game-result which is unacceptable during confirm phase.

More when I'm at work. Agree with deadline being short (but I also enjoy not having to wait so long for game to progress).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:12 am UTC

wam wrote:Yeah I have read the rules twice and I'm not sure.
What are you not sure about? Why not ask?

moody is not indie. Mark might be one.

bessie's opening is pretty standard, town until further notice.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:56 am UTC

The best strategies! Can't really ask the mod that one!!

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:25 am UTC

bessie wrote:
plytho wrote:
By the time you see this, you will have had two days. So what do you think now that you’ve read it?
I think I'm going to need to do a thorough check of ap cost vs action value.
bessie wrote:Perhaps it’s not balanced for seven.
What do you mean?
Sabrar wrote:moody is not indie.
Why not?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:22 am UTC

His setup-spec is too natural to be coming from someone knowing it's wrong.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:31 pm UTC

A number of gadget use mechanics were more clear in my head than on paper.
Also, I confused myself with the timezone and it isn't quite what I intended. It should be the middle of the weekend, and I've fixed the countdown.

For reference, Evening orders fill-in-the-brackets:
Pursue (player/nobody), using (vehicle/public transit).
Visit (player/self)'s safehouse if pursuit fails.
Spend (X) on evasion/tracking.
(Use/don't use) (travel option X)

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:15 pm UTC

I disagree, Sabrar. It's very easy to seem natural when you have time to type it and re read it. Naturalness is NAI for me on things like setup spec.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:46 pm UTC

Sure, we can disagree on that. So what else will you use when hunting scum? Who do you think is most suspicious right now?

wam

Postby wam » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:50 pm UTC

Being called sabrar?

On a more serious note given the mechanics etc I am wondering if a NL is more practical than normal. Still not sure if it's a good idea.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:19 pm UTC

With an unknown setup I'm against NL.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:40 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Lots of bells and whistles to play with. Getting down to fundamentals, seven seems like it would be an awkward number of players to balance for. 5-2 gets you to LYLO with one mislynch, while 6-1 seems a bit lonely for scum.

I think bessie already pointed this out, but there are 8 players in the game. I'm inclined to agree with freezeblade though, the usual rules of thumb regarding balance don't necessarily work with this many available actions.
bessie wrote:Woof
bessie
somitomi
Sabrar
plytho
BoomFrog
Mark_Cangila
moody7277
freezeblade
wam
Grrr

How did my confirmation post earn me second place on the prestigious Woof-Grrr list?
Mark_Cangila wrote:I disagree, Sabrar. It's very easy to seem natural when you have time to type it and re read it. Naturalness is NAI for me on things like setup spec.

Why would indie!moody avoid mentioning indies though? Sooner or later someone will and they're not so rare that uttering "there might be an indie" automatically earns you a suspected indie badge.
wam wrote:On a more serious note given the mechanics etc I am wondering if a NL is more practical than normal. Still not sure if it's a good idea.

Why would it be? (genuinely asking, no sarcasm intended)
—◯-◯ FG Discord

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:11 pm UTC

wam wrote:Being called sabrar?

On a more serious note given the mechanics etc I am wondering if a NL is more practical than normal. Still not sure if it's a good idea.

I'm very against NL on day 1, and FOS on wam for even floating the idea in passing.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:27 pm UTC

Was going to make a snarky remark about lurking players leading me to believe there were seven players instead of eight, but it's closer to one of SJ's GoJoe comments leading me to link the number of players to the series's iconic number. Regarding the issue of balance, with the least assumption that the bad guys and good guys getting goodies each in their due, you can still use more vanilla assumptions as to the setup, which given the corrected player list would give 6-2 or 5-2-1.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:30 pm UTC

Hey moody, why didn't you comment on the NL?

Return to “Mafia”