Unlikely Superheroes (Endgame)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 07, 2019 8:04 pm UTC

Is it bad that I have a town-read on Peaceful Whale right now? That like never happens.

Hi PW, glad you finally joined us! Btw wam is right in that claiming Miller D1 is the usually expected play, you can look at Wheel of Time 3 and Diablo for previous examples.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue May 07, 2019 8:41 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Try not to leak hints at your power unless you have a specific reason in mind why it is useful to do so. And yes, based on just the example in the OP, everyone probably has at least a token power. But I expect there is variance ranging from actual useful to more hindrance then help.
I didn't say I'm a miller too, or anything specific, but significant role downsides on a lot of people could affect setup spec.

If it is only me, then I'd have to figure out if I'm meant to die early as a promoted replacement, or if Laserguy and his hypothetical dice just hate me in particular.
If everybody has issues, then it is nothing to worry about, merely something to work around and build character with.

Sabrar

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Pregame)

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 07, 2019 9:33 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Confirm, along with a note of my not-really-playing-on-weekends.
Apparently the weekend has been extended...

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue May 07, 2019 10:35 pm UTC

I should have realised yesterday that I wouldn't get time to play today. I promise to try to rectify this more tomorrow.

I'm not going to speculate about the strength of the powers. Flavour seems to indicate that nobody is straight up amazing, but there is probably some exceptions.

8-3 is possible. It gives 2 mislynches to town, which is approximately my balance level. 7-3-1 would be possible, as would variations on that. I could imagine an indie role who wants to get fame somehow, after getting fed up being overlooked. That might fit with a serial killer variant or some kind of lynch leader ability. Aside from that, if there are any Indies, they'll almost certainly be something non-standard, I think. Being a survivor or traitor or similar in this game seems rather boring. Jester is possible, I guess.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue May 07, 2019 11:35 pm UTC

@BoomFrog: if you want just the most likely, 8-3 is probably it, as WoT3 was 11 people and felt like an uphill battle as scum with having a traitor. Of course, that was probably a fair bit higher power level of game, but if I wanted to make a balanced 11 person game for both sides, starting with 8-3 and adjusting abilities is where I'd start.

wam's claim sounds more like a compulsive commuter to me than an actual Miller with how he's described it.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed May 08, 2019 3:36 am UTC

Bah, this timezone sucks. And Freezeblade still hasn't said anything...

Sabrar, want to get into another hilariously pointless argument? :twisted:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 08, 2019 4:55 am UTC

You can't force something like that. Don't worry, it'll happen eventually.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed May 08, 2019 5:34 am UTC

Quick responses, I just got home and I’m tired.

Sabrar wrote:bessie's stubornness for doing conf-post analysis is well known
Well, you know, I wouldn’t want to be scum read for leaving it off the checklist.

Sabrar wrote:(as she's wont to do)
If I didn’t know that you were the non-confrontational type, I’d think you were trying to provoke me.

SuicideJunkie wrote:Ok, I'm not the only one, then.

I presume everybody has some power, even if it is just "common sense", but I have some doubts that there is anybody vanilla enough to not have downsides.
Rolefishing.

BoomFrog wrote:And we can only get so far talking about how great it is to be playing with BoomFrog again.
<3<3<3

BoomFrog wrote:Put some real thought into it. If you were going to bet on one specific setup, what would it be and why?
Ok. Setup is 8-3. Laserguy wanted 11 players, that’s why he added dimochka. Setup for Secret Santa 2017, which LaserGuy modded, was 8-2, and he may have thought that game was too town-sided, or perhaps he just didn’t want to use the same setup. Scum probably has daychat (implied by the short night) which is a pretty nice advantage, so they must have a significant disadvantage. Recent games with a traitor/ recruit/ supporter/ other half-mafia haven’t been all that successful, so I’m going to guess that the mafia team are all full mafia with chat from the beginning. My WAG is that one of the mafia members is lovers with a townie, and the townie doesn’t know about it. Mafia may or may not know who their lover is. This could be why the game start has been somewhat slow, they have a smaller lynch pool because they can’t kill the town lover (if they know who it is) without sacrificing one of their members, or if they don’t know who it is so they have a decent chance of losing a member by D2 anyway.

Was that specific enough for now? Or do you want my town setup spec too?

Oh, and miller doesn’t fit with my setup spec. FoS wam.

Sabrar wrote:Well, there is at least one situation where the power would actually be useful and you seem to be a good fit for that.
Hahahahaouch.

Hi Peaceful whale, good to have you back. Re miller, yes, it is somewhat standard play for a miller to claim D1, for reasons. But because it is customary, scum can fake claim it if they have a scummy meta. I don’t think we have a miller, so FoS everyone who has claimed or hinted they are a miller.

SuicideJunkie wrote: If it is only me, then I'd have to figure out if I'm meant to die early as a promoted replacement, or if Laserguy and his hypothetical dice just hate me in particular.
It wasn’t specifically stated in the rules, but the roles should have been randomized, unless this is at least a slightly bastard game (hmm, wasn’t in the sign ups). Well, let’s find out.

Were roles/alignments randomly assigned to players?

I often ask this privately or in thread on if it’s not in the OP. I had an unusually long town run a while ago and would draw some suspicion because of it...

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: nobody is straight up amazing
Except BoomFrog. <3<3<3

Sabrar wrote:You can't force something like that.
Interesting. I was pondering Vicarin’s content so far this game, and if I had to describe it in one word, “forced” would be on my short list.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed May 08, 2019 5:47 am UTC

That's definitely some setup spec right there I guess. Why are you so against the idea of a Miller existing beyond your rather detailed speculation?

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed May 08, 2019 5:55 am UTC

Also didn't think Sabrar's comment to BoomFrog was THAT much of a burn seeing as you need to be pretty skillful to get the game into the best case scenario for that power.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 08, 2019 6:04 am UTC

bessie wrote:If I didn’t know that you were the non-confrontational type, I’d think you were trying to provoke me.
Oh yeah, that's me. Totally non-confrontational.

bessie wrote:This could be why the game start has been somewhat slow, they have a smaller lynch pool because they can’t kill the town lover (if they know who it is) without sacrificing one of their members, or if they don’t know who it is so they have a decent chance of losing a member by D2 anyway.
How are the two things related? Do you think game is slow because scum haven't decided on who to bandwagon/nk (instead of just afk players)? I don't see the connection.

bessie wrote:Interesting. I was pondering Vicarin’s content so far this game, and if I had to describe it in one word, “forced” would be on my short list.
I didn't say his content was forced but what else would you call a direct request like that?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 08, 2019 6:20 am UTC

bessie wrote:Were roles/alignments randomly assigned to players?

Yes.

wam

Postby wam » Wed May 08, 2019 8:10 am UTC

@Bessie

Why no Miller?
Come join us playing mafia signup here

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 08, 2019 8:13 am UTC

My current feeling is that scum!wam would have claimed a straight up Miller, rather than his supposed weird version. However, I could very easily be wrong if wam decided to take things to the next level of thinking. I got an indie ping from his original claim, but upon reflection, I think that was just a response to the way he phrased the claim, which could equally well come from Town!wam. I'd like to know too why bessie thinks wam's Miller claim doesn't fit her setup spec (ninja'ed by wam).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 08, 2019 11:05 am UTC

Ok boys and girls, grace period is over. Time to contribute or face my wrath.

@bessie: why do you care so much pre-emptively about your image? What was the purpose of this line?
bessie wrote:I often ask this privately or in thread on if it’s not in the OP. I had an unusually long town run a while ago and would draw some suspicion because of it...

@BoomFrog: you usually have some early reads. Give me one town and one scum.

@dimochka: do you want to just claim indie now? Basically you're the only who speculated about multiple indies, anyone with a straight 8-3 spec will have a hard time selling an indie claim later. What indies would be in 7-2-1-1?

Request mod-prod on freezeblade
(I know it's not been 48 hours quite yet but that is impractical as a hard rule when game lasts less than a week and minimum expectation is a post every 24 hours)

wam

Postby wam » Wed May 08, 2019 11:35 am UTC

@sabrar

I know you didn't ask me but 1 scum boomfrog! Just a sense that he's worry more about appearance this game.

Dont have any town reads.

I have a theory about bessies setup spec but want to see her answers first.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed May 08, 2019 2:50 pm UTC

@Sabrar: Considering you haven't done it yet, mind sharing your setup spec?

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed May 08, 2019 3:03 pm UTC

Also going to be pretty sad if we don't get more content from dimochka, SuicideJunkie, Freezeblade, and Peaceful Whale before I wake up.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 08, 2019 3:45 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:@BoomFrog: you usually have some early reads. Give me one town and one scum.

Why are you prodding me? I've significantly contributed towards generating real discussion. -1 point for Sabrar.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 08, 2019 3:54 pm UTC

wam wrote:I know you didn't ask me but 1 scum boomfrog! Just a sense that he's worry more about appearance this game.

Ha! That is a good read. +1 point for sincere scum hunting.

I declare wam town. @Bessie, please explain your disbelief in Millers.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 08, 2019 4:00 pm UTC

Wam
SuicideJunkie
Peaceful Whale
jimbobmacdoodle
Freezeblade
moody7277
Bessie
dimochka
Sabrar
Vicarin

Reasons provided upon request if you've made a TtoS list as well.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 08, 2019 4:11 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Request mod-prod on freezeblade

freezeblade has been gently nudged.

Current votals:

wam (2): Sabrar, Peaceful Whale
Peaceful Whale (1): moody
SuicideJunkie (1): jimbobmacdoodle
jimbobmacdoodle (1): SuicideJunkie
BoomFrog (2): Vicarin, BoomFrog
Sabrar (1): wam

Not voting: bessie, dimochka, freezeblade

Deadline in 5 days

freezeblade

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Pregame)

Postby freezeblade » Wed May 08, 2019 4:30 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
freezeblade wrote:Confirm, along with a note of my not-really-playing-on-weekends.
Apparently the weekend has been extended...

Extended, more like my "D1 sucks" refrain.

Although the psudo miller claim is interesting. My guess is that they just can't be investigated, null on the T-S scale though, as I'm guessing there'll be lots of odd powers on both sides.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 08, 2019 7:06 pm UTC

Vicarin wrote:@Sabrar: Considering you haven't done it yet, mind sharing your setup spec?
You can probably infer some of it from this but initially I thought 3 scum with day-chat would be too strong given the lesser abilities and 9-2 is just lopsided the other way around. Generally there aren't 2 indies, leaving 8-2-1. Now I've had pretty much no success in the past guessing at mod intention and wam made a very good point about 8-3 being the only immutable setup that requires 11 players so it's definitely possible. However dimochka was added 3 days later than jimbob and SuicideJunkie so it could be the case that LaserGuy originally had a 10-player setup and expanded it to 11 with e.g. an indie he found to be interesting. Given he had Secret Santa as 8-2 (and scum won that so I don't believe he would think it was town-sided) I still find 8-2-1 to be possible. It's either that or 8-3. 7-3-1 seems very weak for town (unless the indie is completely town-friendly e.g. Guardian Angel as was in Dark Tower).

BoomFrog wrote:Why are you prodding me? I've significantly contributed towards generating real discussion.
Doesn't feel that way. Up until that point you had 4 posts, the first was a 'gambit' that generated no reaction, the second is useful in asking people explaining themselves instead of being lazy, the third is just generic advice to a newbie and the fourth is fluff. I think you can do better.

@freezeblade: we know the refrain. That doesn't mean you can get by with posting nothing useful every 2 days.

wam

Postby wam » Wed May 08, 2019 7:20 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
wam wrote:I know you didn't ask me but 1 scum boomfrog! Just a sense that he's worry more about appearance this game.

This seems like an odd response to me but cant work out if its ai.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Wed May 08, 2019 7:21 pm UTC

@Sabrar @Vic,
how do you feel about boom frog having you two as most scummy?

@Boomfroggy, I'd say its a little to early to be making full scum lists. So I assume your's isn't. I am guessing its manly a "gut feeling" deal. But can you answer why you've chosen those three as most scummy? Dimochka hasn't said much. What has she said that pings you as scummy.

dang... I need a scum list to ask you questions...

weeeeeellllllllll
:twisted:
Town

Wam
SuicideJunkie
Peaceful Whale
jimbobmacdoodle
Freezeblade
moody7277
Bessie
dimochka
Saber
Vicar

Scum

:P for the same reasons as Boomfroags invisible ones until further notice.a\
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Wed May 08, 2019 7:28 pm UTC

wam wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:

This seems like an odd response to me but cant work out if its ai.

well, it says to me that he can't disprove what you said, so he's giving you towny points because if you were scum you'd tend not to make such hard accusations. Honestly I think towny's reaction would be to fight against it, after all every suspicion against a towny means that they would get lynched, and thats the worst thing that could happen to a towny. If one is scummy, scum tales are bad, but they can't disprove it or fight against it as much because when put under pressure they'll be revealed to be more and more scummy. After all they are scum. In fact if they draw attention to themselves they might get investigated or something like that and turn up as scum.

The best thing (I think) for scum to do is to redirect towny attention and fire. Which is what boom frog is doing here.

Towny thing to do is fight against accusations because you *are* town. They're wrong. You don't want to die, and its fine if someone scans you, because they'll get town. You don't need to care so much about if somethings you do look scummy, you can blather on and on.

I agree with wam, and boom's response has made me even more suspicious of boom frog.

I think its too early for anything at this point, but as votes are flying I mine as well join in.:P

Vote BoomFrog
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:31 pm UTC

Aside from a slight OMGUS from her FoSing me over the joke vote, bessie has reverted to typical behavior so I'm reading her as solidly town.

My theory about wam's miller claim seems to track with what I'm inferring jimbob's idea about it is (scum!wam wants to counter his scummy meta by claiming miller), however I think jimbob's corollary to it is valid which would mean it's more likely than not wam is town.

I'm also getting a middling town read on Sabrar. BTW, that joke about Madge stuck in my head waaaaaay longer than it should have.

That PW town->scum list is making me cross-eyed. The fact he has himself third on the list alone is funky beyond belief. Rest of the post makes me hopefull he's pulling it out of his butt.

More traditional reads list in a while.

3. Bc4
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed May 08, 2019 8:09 pm UTC

On consideration, my two cents is that merely not getting a cop result doesn't seem worthy of a Miller-lite claim. It would have been simpler to just leave it and get seen as roleblocked or something.
It probably has to be true, since it sounds easily verified. Unless it is a trap, and the investigator won't make it out alive. That could technically be true, since the cop wouldn't get a result if they're dead?

We probably shouldn't get too distracted by it, and lose sight of the bigger pictures.

Vicarin:
Oh no. / I've said too much. / I haven't said enough.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 08, 2019 8:14 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:@Sabrar @Vic,
how do you feel about boom frog having you two as most scummy?
BoomFrog consistently reads me wrong in the early game. If he's Town he'll see his error sooner or later.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed May 08, 2019 9:05 pm UTC

I am also in the 7-3-1 Camp, with the indie being town-aligned, or with a power that more benefit a townie-play rather than a scummy-play.

With 7-3-1 however I wouldn't expect there to be a scum day-chat, as that gives much more advantage in coordination.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 08, 2019 10:28 pm UTC

I should know better than to make promises about posting more content the next day, apparently. It's after 11pm, and I've only just gotten around to checking in properly again. Maybe tomorrow might be better?

Skimming through the thread from the beginning for things that particularly stood out to me:
1) Vicarin's push for a gambit is unhelpful. It's unclear if his vote was serious though, and is probably just RVS? @Vicarin - please confirm.
2) SuicideJunkie's response to my vote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:Hey! Past results are not indicative of future performance. It is highly unlikely to be a murderhobo 100% of the time.

I'm town in exactly half the games I've played, so I suppose my meta is bad, but that's no reason to vote me unless you're scum yourself.

vote jimbobmacdoodle
Who says it had anything to do with your meta? I'm sure there are others who see things the way I do here.
3) dimochka's post here:
dimochka wrote:Other thoughts to be added soon but waiting for the rest of y'all to post. Missing wam, peaceful whale (post d1 start), and freezeblade.
Why wait?
4) Vicarin's response to dimochka's post:
Vicarin wrote:@dimochka: that's probably next most likely, but then we get into balancing issues for multiple 1 person factions.
What are some of the issues that you are imagining?
5) Sabrar's response to SuicideJunkie's response to my vote:
Sabrar wrote:SuicideJunkie's reaction to a random vote is too defensive, FoS there.
Who said anything about random? And if it was random, why do you feel that it was a defensive response and not an equally random response to the supposed random vote?
6)
SuicideJunkie wrote:Ok, I'm not the only one, then.
My first reading of this was that you were claiming to be a pseudo-miller. If you are a Miller you should have claimed it outright by now.
7) BoomFrog, why are the powers only the second most interesting thing? Did I miss a reference in my skimming? Who are you still waiting on before explaining your setup spec?
8) PeacefulWhale, why do you think wam was more likely to be scum than town based on his miller claim?
9) Vicarin is rolefishing:
Vicarin wrote:wam's claim sounds more like a compulsive commuter to me than an actual Miller with how he's described it.

10) Still deciding what to make of PeacefulWhale blatantly copying BoomFrog's Town to Scum list. My instinct is to say something like scum!PW knows that copying the list is an obviously scummy move, so scum clearly wouldn't do that, so he does it. Not sure if any of that makes sense though...
11) I need to look at PW's BoomFrog analysis some more. At first glance, it doesn't sound terrible.

That's it. I need to go and get ready for bed. I've skimmed quite a bit, so some of the above may be outdated, or based on missed points.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed May 08, 2019 11:10 pm UTC

Yay, posts! Except for dimochka :x.

@PW: well, it's BoomFrog, who knows why he's put me as scummy. I'll try to get my TtoS out in an hour or so so I can ask him and know how offended I should be :P.

Also somewhat doubt he'll be cooperative with your plan, but nice try.

@jimbob: yeah, that was just RVS.

Unvote: BoomFrog

With regards to balancing issues, it's the usual problem with multiple killing factions (especially an SK) that one of the kills getting eliminated early results in a drastically different game to all the kills surviving for a bit. Doubly so if there's a vig as well.

@SJ: not enough, you're speculating about something that's already received a ton of speculation and not doing much else. Do some reads. Here's an incentive:

Vote: SuicideJunkie

@peopleWhoDontBelieveInDaychat: what do you think of the 24 hour nights?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 09, 2019 12:42 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:I'm also getting a middling town read on Sabrar.
Why?
That PW town->scum list is making me cross-eyed.
He copied my list in order to qualify for my requirement of having a list before questioning me.

@PW: That doesn't work. I want a list that you can back up with reasons if asked.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 09, 2019 12:52 am UTC

freezeblade wrote:I am also in the 7-3-1 Camp, with the indie being town-aligned, or with a power that more benefit a townie-play rather than a scummy-play.

With 7-3-1 however I wouldn't expect there to be a scum day-chat, as that gives much more advantage in coordination.
As pointed out by Vic. Day chat is basically a given considering the short nights. Unless you think the Mafia have no chat, which is possible this game, but quite cruel of LaserGuy if true.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu May 09, 2019 12:58 am UTC

Let's see...

Town
moody7277
bessie
jimbobmacdoodle
BoomFrog
wam
Sabrar
Peaceful Whale
Freezeblade
dimochka
SuicideJunkie
Scum

Think quite a lot of people are being rather scummy atm , I only really like what my top 3 are putting out. Maybe BoomFrog as well.

Sooo BoomFrog why am I so damn scummy? Enquiring minds want to know!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 09, 2019 1:03 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:7) BoomFrog, why are the powers only the second most interesting thing? Did I miss a reference in my skimming? Who are you still waiting on before explaining your setup spec?

In the interest of not wasting your limited time I'll explain. Just a joke for Bessie about the most interesting thing being myself.

Setup 8-3 was based on the 11 players. 2 mislynches exactly. Since town peers are so terrible I'd guess scum's are as well, maybe some compulsive powers that benefit town, or 2 mafia need to work together to use the nk. Although the idea of no mafia chat is intriguing.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 09, 2019 1:07 am UTC

@Vic: As Bessie said. Your content is forced. You twice tried to provoke people into generating useless noise and you haven't tried to generate useful content. Why am I so high on your list? You know I am capable of this level of content as scum. High volume != Town.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu May 09, 2019 1:16 am UTC

You're at least driving the conversation in useful directions, rather than being the nth person to comment on wam's Miller claim. Your volume of content isn't terribly indicative, sure, but that's not what I was using to read you.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu May 09, 2019 1:21 am UTC

Also rather surprised that you're assuming all our PRs are terrible.

Return to “Mafia”