Unlikely Superheroes (Endgame)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 7)

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:20 pm UTC

That works too, though I would have appreciated if you at least reacted to my arguments.

wam

Postby wam » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:59 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:That works too, though I would have appreciated if you at least reacted to my arguments.

Sorry forgot to say I wouldn't have signal. Tbh your current arguments are coming across as desperate scum to me.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:10 pm UTC

And you're just dismissing my arguments without actually thinking about them.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:34 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:That works too, though I would have appreciated if you at least reacted to my arguments.

Well, here's the situation as I see it:

scum!Sabrar: we lynch you, game over.
scum!bessie: we lynch you, wam RBs bessie, we lynch bessie, game over
scum!wam: his role has absolutely zero to do with BF's role despite the mirror theme. besides the scum issue, he's been honest all game. I just don't see this possibility as being the case.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:45 pm UTC

I’ve read the entire thread again, because I have concerns about moody and wam, but I can only make a case against either of them if there are at least two non-town still alive. And in my read I kept going back to Sabrar. Most of my notes are from analyzing my own posts. I’m not going to post everything that is just repeating stuff I’ve already said, like our disagreement about targeting powers. Interestingly, it is the targeting aspect of my power that is probably the reason that I am not already lynched, see N2 results (freezeblade’s tracker result on me, shared with SuicideJunkie).

Something I found interesting in my reread was in my D2 detailed setup spec:
bessie wrote:bessie's detailed setup spec:

Apps of Destruction
Abilities: Day chat, factional one-shot night kill, cops as “something non human” to investigations.
App #1 Vicarin: Vote Thief
App #2 SuicideJunkie: Unblockable one-shot day kill
App #3 BoomFrog: Unrequited lover of bessie*

*Second choice is Sabrar. He’s scum reading both of us, but not strongly. Guess he doesn’t want wither of us lynched or night killed. But I’ll be sad if it’s Sabrar, I like the idea of BoomFrog dying of unrequited love for me me me.
I wasn’t thinking of Sabrar as BoomFrog’s partner until, well, D7, so I find this gut read interesting in retrospect.

There is one more thing that has been in my “still pondering” queue since D2. I picked this out when I first read it and added it to my notes, and every day I just push it down my list as something I’m not ready to address or discard yet, see here:
Sabrar wrote:From a strictly personal experience I believe so. I get depressed as scum when I think I'm on the wrong side of the balance, not so as Town.
Sabrar, when I click the second link in that quote, in my mind I can see your avatar change from a jpg to a gif and your tail starts wagging. I haven’t had that happen with your content in this game, I just see the static puppy image. I don't trust my meta or gut reads, so for the past month I just keep dismissing that quote, while wondering if I'm making the same mistake I made in WoT3. But I now have enough other concerns about you that a meta read won’t be the sole reason for my vote.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:04 pm UTC

bessie wrote:I haven’t had that happen with your content in this game, I just see the static puppy image.
The simple explanation for this is that I don't think Town is weak in this game.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:35 pm UTC

Since when? You said this on D1:
Sabrar wrote: initially I thought 3 scum with day-chat would be too strong given the lesser abilities and 9-2 is just lopsided the other way around

We’ve also had, per your own evaluation, a negative-utility scapegoat (though I have argued since the flip that used correctly it was a useful role). And two roles (somitomi and bessie) that are on the level of utility as the fruit vendor, in that they seem to have little purpose other than to target.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:38 pm UTC

I've changed my mind recently. I wasn't in the mood to admit it.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:40 pm UTC

Sabrar, I'm going to vote for you. Do you have anything else you want to leave with us in case the game doesn't end?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:45 pm UTC

Not really. I can't wrap my head around this game. If you're not scum then I think wam must be it but I don't see how. Or moody played an excellent game.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:56 pm UTC

I'm town.

Vote: Sabrar

https://youtu.be/50LOhILlLMQ

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:49 pm UTC

That was hammer. No more posting.

LaserGuy

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Endgame)

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:06 pm UTC

The diminished group of heroes drag another member of their group to the Mayor.

"Greetings Brother!" says Fervently Religious Man, "Have you heard the word?"

"The word is Moo!" replies the Mayor excitedly.

"Before you we have found one who has profaned the Divine Bovine! Although he claims to be a disciple of Moo, he has blasphemed the Holy Cow by committing violence against us!"

"He is a most notorious villain!" cries the Ornithologist.

"Coo!" says the Pigeon.

"There is only one way to deal with those who sacrilege the Divine Bovine!" continues Fervently Religious Man, "He must be chased out of town by a herd of angry bulls!"

"Let it be so! The city is saved! Praise the Divine Bovine!" cries the Mayor.

Sabrar has been lynched. He was Yin, aligned with the Unlikely Supervillains. The Unlikely Supervillains have been eliminated.

Town wins!

wam was Fervently Religious man, aligned with Town.
bessie was the Ornithologist, aligned with Town.
moody was the Pigeon, aligned with Town.
Last edited by LaserGuy on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:10 pm UTC

Role PMs:

Sabrar:
Spoiler:
Yin
There is peace in balance. One must both preserve life, and take it away. To be charitable, one must first become a thief. To save a life, one must first take one away. There can be no heroism without suffering. Such things you strive for.

Powers: On odd nights, you are a reflexive doctor. Anyone who targets you will be protected from killing actions. In addition, you may not use the factional kill. On even nights, you have no powers, but have access to the factional night kill.

You are an Unlikely Supervillain with your partner BoomFrog and have daychat with them available in your QT here. You win when all opposing factions are defeated or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

wam:
Spoiler:
Fervently Religious Man:

When you get up each morning, you think on the wonder that is Moo. You praise Moo with each meal as you consume the milk of the Holy Cow. You are blessed by the Divine Bovine and must share it with EVERYONE. ALL THE TIME. When evil arises in the city of Mahtog, you boldly go out to face it, armed only with the fervor of Moo and a stack of tracts.

Powers:

Proselytise: Each night, target a player to proselytise. That player will be unable to take any action during the night because they are too busy speaking to you. At the end of the night, they will receive a message that they converted into the Church of Moo. You may not target current members of the Church. Members of the Church of Moo (including you) will return a result of "Member of the Church of Moo" to investigations of any sort, in addition to whatever information the power was supposed to provide. Being a member does not change win conditions of any player.

Evangelistic: If you are investigated by a cop, they will received "Member of the Church of Moo" as your alignment.

You are Town and win when all anti-Town factions are eliminated.

bessie:
Spoiler:
Ornithologist:

Supposedly there is a crime wave? Well, all of the smoke and sirens are certainly causing problems for the local Haemorhous purpureus population. You’ve counted three empty nests in the last week, and a fourth was taken over by a family of Haemorhous mexicanus. Quite a tragedy. Something must be done or the local birds will be all aflutter. And there’s only one person for the job...

Powers:
Identify Bird: Each night you may target a player. If that player is a bird, you identify the genus and species. Otherwise, you will receive a result of “not a bird”.

moody:
Spoiler:
The Pigeon

You’re a common pigeon, except that through a freak accident with an electrical wire, you’ve suddenly found yourself able to understand human speech. Can you do some good in the world? Oh, look, somebody dropped a hot dog!

Powers:

Nest: Travel to your nest for the night. While nesting, you are immune to night kills. This is a two-shot ability.

Carry messages: While you are alive, all chat within chat groups is day chat. If you are lynched or killed, chat will revert to night chat.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:15 pm UTC

Congrats Town, thanks LaserGuy for modding. Sorry BoomFrog.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:48 pm UTC

Amazing that Sabrar and BF were scum together and we won anyway. I guess BF not having much time was quite a handicap.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

wam

Postby wam » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:51 pm UTC

Moooo!!!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:07 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Congrats Town, thanks LaserGuy for modding. Sorry BoomFrog.

You played amazingly with a poor hand. If you'd had an every night NK you'd have won. I should be apologizing to you for playing so poorly D1.

Well done wam. You and PW nailed me to the wall D1. Your suspicions were 100% accurate.

Congrats moody for surviving through endgame as town.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:55 am UTC

Yay! Party in Block C!
BYOStraightjacket

That was a great rollercoaster ride of hope with Sabrar's gambit despite being so far behind.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:39 am UTC

Good game everyone!

Game notes tomorrow, I've been out most of the day and night.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:01 am UTC

Good game all, and thanks for modding, LaserGuy as always!

Apologies for getting a bit grouchy towards the end of D6. Turns out that tired mafia playing and arguing with scum isn't a good combo...

It's hard to say whether this game was balanced or not. If we hadn't hit both scum factions on D1 and D2, the game could have looked completely different, and easily led to a scum faction winning.

Overall, I give myself about a 7 out of 10. I was right on Vicarin and BoomFrog prior to any results were made known, I was right in my logic about Yin's style of a ability, and I got the logic on Sabrar right early D5 before overcomplicating things and doubting myself from then on! I'm however very disappointed in myself for missing the fact that dimochka didn't bus drive freezeblade N2 until after he'd died. I could have nailed all four scum had I not missed that! On the plus side, Sabrar did our work for us :lol:

Thank you bessie, wam and moody for carrying the game home, despite mine and Sabrar's efforts to put doubts in your minds. Thank you to the replacements for keeping the game moving without a modkill. Plytho, you did a great job of making yourself look like Town. Somitomi too early on - you might have been fine had we not already partially started PoE-ing by that point. Peaceful Whale, please keep playing - you are a very good player behind that youthful exterior! SuicideJunkie, your ability and result turned out to be surprisingly useful, just make sure to claim negative utility aspects that affect the lynch or investigative roles upfront at the start of the game. Freezeblade, your N1 result almost single handedly won town the game, I think; even in death your ability proved useful! Dimochka, I never suspected you as scum really, and like I said, I don't know how I missed the implications of your N2 action. Sabrar, you did a good job of placing doubts in my mind on D6, but you were always going to struggle by that point with the PoE evidence against you. BoomFrog, your claim almost convinced me despite all the evidence! Vicarin, you should stop getting lynched D1 :lol: thanks for playing though!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 am UTC

Thanks for modding laser!

Glad we didn't let boom talk his way out of that one.

When I read my role pm I was convinced I was going to be lynched for being a cult leader.

Sabrar you were stuck at the end there it was a hard hand to be dealt.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:42 am UTC

@wam, you got away with it by successfully blocking BoomFrog, recruiting him, and then his flip showing no sign of a win-con change. Had anything else happened, I suspect you might have been up the creek without a paddle in fairly short order.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:51 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Good game all, and thanks for modding, LaserGuy as always!

Apologies for getting a bit grouchy towards the end of D6. Turns out that tired mafia playing and arguing with scum isn't a good combo...

It's hard to say whether this game was balanced or not. If we hadn't hit both scum factions on D1 and D2, the game could have looked completely different, and easily led to a scum faction winning.

Overall, I give myself about a 7 out of 10. I was right on Vicarin and BoomFrog prior to any results were made known, I was right in my logic about Yin's style of a ability, and I got the logic on Sabrar right early D5 before overcomplicating things and doubting myself from then on! I'm however very disappointed in myself for missing the fact that dimochka didn't bus drive freezeblade N2 until after he'd died. I could have nailed all four scum had I not missed that! On the plus side, Sabrar did our work for us :lol:

Thank you bessie, wam and moody for carrying the game home, despite mine and Sabrar's efforts to put doubts in your minds. Thank you to the replacements for keeping the game moving without a modkill. Plytho, you did a great job of making yourself look like Town. Somitomi too early on - you might have been fine had we not already partially started PoE-ing by that point. Peaceful Whale, please keep playing - you are a very good player behind that youthful exterior! SuicideJunkie, your ability and result turned out to be surprisingly useful, just make sure to claim negative utility aspects that affect the lynch or investigative roles upfront at the start of the game. Freezeblade, your N1 result almost single handedly won town the game, I think; even in death your ability proved useful! Dimochka, I never suspected you as scum really, and like I said, I don't know how I missed the implications of your N2 action. Sabrar, you did a good job of placing doubts in my mind on D6, but you were always going to struggle by that point with the PoE evidence against you. BoomFrog, your claim almost convinced me despite all the evidence! Vicarin, you should stop getting lynched D1 :lol: thanks for playing though!

Honestly I got lazy with my target N2 because I tried to target you forgetting I can't target the same person twice, and then just picked a relatively random target when I was told than I cannot. My fault.

Fun game everyone, thanks! I'm going to wait and see how busy my work is going to get because I just finished the big thing I was working on at work, but it might get pretty hectic again and I don't want to have my activity drop similarly in a future game. All I know right now is that I have one week of relaxation.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:46 pm UTC

Thanks for playing everyone!

Special thanks to everyone who replaced in or filled in the numbers so that I could run this setup.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:24 pm UTC

Thanks all for the kind words.

bessie wrote:Sabrar, when I click the second link in that quote, in my mind I can see your avatar change from a jpg to a gif and your tail starts wagging. I haven’t had that happen with your content in this game, I just see the static puppy image.
This has got to be my favorite read ever, so true and appropriate. I grinned ear to ear while reading it.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:35 am UTC

Thank you everyone for playing, and especially to those that replaced, and helped keep the game going! Brief shout outs in rough order of disappearance:

Vicarin- I’m still not sure what happened toward the end of D1, but I’m glad I wasn’t around to argue against your lynch. :P (And can you share the scum chat link? It’s ok if you and dimochka don’t want to, no explanation required, I’ll just assume it was because of all the mean things you said about me me me.)

BoomFrog- RL time constraints, no gambit, doesn’t matter, a game with BoomFrog is still magic. Unfortunately there was no recovering from the multi-hit of cop/non-tracker and roleblock on N1, even for the Ultimate Human Genius.

Hmmm, should I be annoyed with this?
BoomFrog wrote:It doesn't have to make sense of no one notices the flaw. It only has to cause enough confusion for wiggle room. Moody won't see that flaw and Bessie probably won't either.
Boooooooo. :(

freezeblade- Played your role exactly right, I’m just disappointed RL got in the way for you, sign up for more games!

SuicideJunkie- I like your style. I think it unfortunate that you may have interpreted some of the aspects of your role more negatively than you should have, and your N2 result was crucial to figuring out the game in the end.

Peaceful Whale- You had a very good D1, that’s why I went after you for more content. You’re going to be a great player you just need to play more often!

somitomi- Sorry about that, I already had a scum read on Peaceful Whale, and you are such a consistent and good player and I can’t tell your scum game from your town game, which is why I was pushing on you so hard.

dimochka- I was so excited to see you on the player list, you think you’re rusty, but I think you’re still magic. I’m looking forward to playing with you again, or playing one of your spectacular “complete mess of characters” games sometime.

plytho- Not enough time, we didn’t even have an epic argument! If you didn’t die I think you may have been able to win this. Or maybe not, jimbob would have probably caught you on D5.

jimbobmacdoodle- Like usual you see it all, you were just a little too late this time. I was going to self vote on D6 but you reset the votes before I had a chance, and you being lynched instead of me ended up right for town, because of the N2 results.
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Thought I'd let people know why I'm so often struggling for time currently: I got engaged last week! So lots of talking with my future wife and discussing weddings means mafia time is at a premium!
Thank you for sharing this most wonderful news with us, you’ve earned the happy bessie pic of approval.
Spoiler:
happy bessie.jpg
happy bessie.jpg (62.23 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Sabrar- I may have gone for indie-wam on D7 if you could have come up with something that fit the night results. Interesting that you read me incorrectly, and not just by thinking I was an App for most of the game.
Sabrar in Scumchat #42 wrote: - I have the feeling that bessie trusts me for now (which could change due to my screw-up). She has a blind-spot for you. She is more likely to target me than any other player whatever her role (and that's a fact, not imo).
Hahaha, one-third of this quote is wrong, and for a second time. I’m BoomFrog’s biggest fangirl, but my blind spot is the same one I had in WoT3 (paranoid android, read the shout outs, you’ll figure it out).

wam- I had my doubts up until the very end. Good call blocking Sabrar instead of me on N6 and winning the game for town.

moody7277- Hmmm, meta flip in progress? No one seemed to find you scummy, except for me and scum.
plytho wrote:Also, I was a little disappointed nobody played moody.
+1, QFT, etc, moody is definitely a superhero and not just in this game. :)

Some game notes:

I think this was a great game, flavor and setup. Thank you so much; I had been looking forward to playing and was not disappointed.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4456928#p4456928
LaserGuy wrote:Well, I think part of it is a reflection of the fact that this game also basically had 3-4 people in it who would really have rather replaced and may not have had as much time to commit as they would have really liked. We don't really have the numbers to run big games anymore. Maybe longer day phases, especially in the first few days, would help? Mafiascum has 2 week day phases, though that can really drag out as the game progresses and there's fewer people around (especially since unlike as MS, people here almost never hammer even when there's no reason not to). Also means that games can be a huge commitment which a lot of people aren't keen on. I don't know that there's a good option.
For the most part, player participation levels were ok. By the time wam got busy, he was “confirmed” anyway so his content wasn’t as important, similar with freezeblade. We used to have long day phases of two weeks, extensions common, but players were only expected to post minimum once every two days so if you look at some old games the content level was actually a lot lower. The forum meta has changed and we have more heavy posters, so the casual posters seem lurky in comparison. I like the shorter days (5-6 RL days) and keeping nights as short as possible, and minimum one solid post a day from each player should be reasonable to keep things moving. Also, I think a good target is for a game to finish in 4-5 weeks, especially since we only have one game running at a time.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4458512#p4458512
LaserGuy wrote:I hope bessie isn't too upset with her role at the end of this. She more than anyone else probably would take that role and run with it. She did correctly reason above that her role is basically a glorified visitor at least.

Probably for the best she didn't get the bird result on moody though.
I think you missed by not giving moody his full Linnaean taxonomy, while telling me in my role that I would receive it. Under different circumstances (like if I had actually received a result on moody N2, or if I hadn’t been on my way to work on D5) I probably would have attacked moody for not having that information (believing he should have it per Rule #6), guessing that he didn’t have it because he was a rolecop (which in retrospect would have been another level of enjoyment for me so my loss really I guess :P ). Other than that, I think this was a great role, but probably not for the reasons you intended. The first two scum flips being non-human put me in a great position to build on what I had already hinted at and false soft-claim. Also, I don’t think every role has to be strong, or even a power role. And everyone doesn’t have to be equal. There’s also freedom in having an expendable role, unfortunately I’ve never been good at intentionally drawing the night kill and failed at it again in this game.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4464410#p4464410
LaserGuy wrote:I'm kind of shocked at how powerful (or at least effectively used) wam's ability ended up being. I expected that one to be quite negative utility given the connotations. Maybe I should have made him an indie who wins if all surviving players are MOO :D
This role was so moo, I moo’d my mooin' head off. :lol: I think this role was strong because even though wam could only use it once per player, it was an every night town roleblock. Also, I don’t see being loud as negative utility for town. Townies (in theory) don’t have any reason to lie, and being loud confirms them in the inevitable mass claim.

freezeblade’s role was the best though, I absolutely love it, but again perhaps stronger than intended because of the double result for the cop option (alignment + target didn’t move).

Suicide Junkie’s role was also extremely useful, but alas, no one realized the implications except me until the end (but no one else’s power got a result like “your target is not a bird”).

That's all I have for now, more later if I think of anything else. Thanks again everyone, I look forward to playing with all of you again soon.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:33 am UTC

Thanks for modding, LaserGuy, it was an interesting setup. I don't think I've seen a game with such variation in power levels before, but maybe I'm just a noob.
bessie wrote:somitomi- Sorry about that, I already had a scum read on Peaceful Whale, and you are such a consistent and good player and I can’t tell your scum game from your town game, which is why I was pushing on you so hard.

Thanks, that's flattering. I do think I was scummier than usual, particularly on D4. Jimbob posted a buddy analysis on D4 that even I thought made a lot of sense...
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:52 pm UTC

bessie wrote:dimochka- I was so excited to see you on the player list, you think you’re rusty, but I think you’re still magic. I’m looking forward to playing with you again, or playing one of your spectacular “complete mess of characters” games sometime.

Thanks :) always really enjoy playing with you too. I probably do have time to run a "complete mess" game as long as I get someone to co-mod (you're not allowed, you have to play!), so I'll see when we are lacking games and throw something in. I'll ask for theme suggestions in Gojoe.

Re: Scum chat - I'm fine to share, but I'll wait for Vicarin to opine.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:20 am UTC

Kind of glad that town eventually managed to nail Sabrar to the wall :P.

@bessie: https://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/fAaDFGspxXCi is the other scum chat. And I was glad that you saw through the flaw that BoomFrog was talking about :D.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:45 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Hmmm, should I be annoyed with this?
BoomFrog wrote:It doesn't have to make sense of no one notices the flaw. It only has to cause enough confusion for wiggle room. Moody won't see that flaw and Bessie probably won't either.
Boooooooo. :(

Yes. Sorry for doubting you. <3
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Return to “Mafia”