MafiaScum round 2

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Gojoe

Re: MafiaScum round 2

Postby Gojoe » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

A new day had broken on the peaceful frontier community of xkcd Village; however, this day was not like any other. In the middle of the town, the bodies of the mayor and magistrate were found dead, killed in cold blood 2 competing mobs claimed credit for this. The Aldebaran and the Betelgeuse. Now lacking a proper and civilized form of justice, the people began to assemble in the square to get to the bottom of things and obtain revenge, by the noose if necessary.

It is now Daytime on the first day (just to get the game going quickly)
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

Oh my god! The mayor! Gorram mafia, how could they do such a thing!?! Did anyone see this happen?
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

and just to get things started. "Tell me Spsnow02, why shouldn't we suspect you of being part of the mafia?"
See Ya Space Cowboy...

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

LOL. SPsnow again? lets wait till a person posts to start accusing them (Col mustard)

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

i'm not accussing, i'm asking why we shouldn't suspect him. i'm just trying to get some info. which is always a good idea, as is never voting no lynching.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

I don't see why we shouldn't suspect ANYBODY. I'm on to you, AKAnotu.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

AKAnotu wrote:I don't see why we shouldn't suspect ANYBODY. I'm on to you, AKAnotu.

wait, did you just accuse yourself? or did you accuse me? is accuse even the word i'm looking for?
See Ya Space Cowboy...

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

Bulvox wrote:
AKAnotu wrote:I don't see why we shouldn't suspect ANYBODY. I'm on to you, AKAnotu.

wait, did you just accuse yourself? or did you accuse me? is accuse even the word i'm looking for?
I didn't accuse you. I was just pointing out that we know nothing about each other. And the ending was just a random attempt at humor.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

Well, technically, as AKAnotu said, everyone is a suspect right now. It doesn't really make sense to single out one person and ask why we shouldn't suspect him/her, especially since no actions have been taken thus far. Bulvox, you say you're just trying to get some info, but there is NO info to be gathered at this time, other than what we can infer from what people post.

Actually, your actions have made me slightly suspicious of you. They were the actions of a mafia member who is trying to throw people off the trail by pretending to be pro-town. Twice in one post, you mentioned what "good ideas" for the town would be: getting info, and never voting no lynching. I guess you could just be a conscientious townie, but it does strike me as a strategy that someone in the mafia would use to try to seem innocent.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

You guys do not need to type in itallic as i am only using that to be the narrators voice lol

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

Woah, Woah, Innocent before proven guilty, and I haven't done a thing yet, unlike your random accusation. Today's the first day and all we can go off today is suspicious behavior, and right not, you're at the top of my list.

Vote: Bulvox
Rawr!

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

Well, Bulvox technically didn't accuse you yet. I agree, though: his/her behavior has been suspicious so far. However, I don't think it's a good idea to officially accuse someone at this early stage. We should wait for more people to show up and participate.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

I'd say starting off with a random accusation is a perfectly normal thing to do, what with no actual information and all.
I'm going to bide my time a bit. See what discussion you guys get going.

Bf2flyby

Postby Bf2flyby » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

SPsnow02 wrote:Today's the first day and all we can go off today is suspicious behavior

une see wrote:Bulvox, you say you're just trying to get some info, but there is NO info to be gathered at this time,

Both 100% agreed, I'm going to have to back that up, Trying to just take someone down seems like Mafia behavior.
A townie would have a 8/18 of getting a mafia member randomly, and a 10/18 chance of getting a townsperson/doctor/cop.
A mafia member would have a 100% chance of getting an enemy because they know who their fellow mafia members are and everyone else is a townie or other mafia member.

That's suspicion enough for me.
I also cast my vote for Bulvox

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

une see wrote:Well, Bulvox technically didn't accuse you yet. I agree, though: his/her behavior has been suspicious so far. However, I don't think it's a good idea to officially accuse someone at this early stage. We should wait for more people to show up and participate.

Well, It's been more suspicious than what else we've seen so far, so I'm just putting my opinion out there for the moment, if someone else starts acting more suspicious I'll change it.
Rawr!

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:14 am UTC

In most cases voting no lynching is a terrible idea, but I have been thinking about it, and I think that if we are smart about this, we can lynch only mob until the doctor dies. My idea is this:

Day one: No lynch. We risk losing the cop and/ or the doctor to the mob, but we can't hang a good guy.

Day two: Only the cop says the results , and this is to say whether they are guilty or innocent.
There are three possible outcomes to this:

1. Only one person says anything and we believe that that person is the cop, and trust them to lead us in the lynching.
    2. Two people say they are the cop. One of them is a lying mobster. We have a 50% chance of guessing right. The doctor will guard the opposite cop than the one we trusted during the day, this way we are sure to be right at least once.
    3. Three people say that they are the cop, two of them are mob, one is not. This is more difficult, we will still have to wing it.

In either case two or case three we will uncover some mob and in all cases the doctor will know who to protect. (We are told who the people killed are right?)

Day 3-??: Keep killing mobsters. Hope for the best.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:17 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:Day two: Only the cop says the results , and this is to say whether they are guilty or innocent.
There are three possible outcomes to this:

1. Only one person says anything and we believe that that person is the cop, and trust them to lead us in the lynching.
2. Two people say they are the cop. One of them is a lying mobster. We have a 50% chance of guessing right. The doctor will guard the opposite cop than the one we trusted during the day, this way we are sure to be right at least once.
3. Three people say that they are the cop, two of them are mob, one is not. This is more difficult, we will still have to wing it.

That's possible, But remember, we have 2 different Mafia's, each with 4 members, so we could have any number of cops.
Rawr!

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:18 am UTC

I think that's actually a pretty good idea there.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:24 am UTC

Actually, After thinking a few minutes-

Potential number of cops:

One Cop - 8/15 chance of him choosing a mafia to investigate: 53%
Two Cops- We know one of them is a mafia member: 50%
Three Cops- We know two of them are mafia members: 67%
Four Cops- We know three of them are mafia members: 75%

So, actually, the more fake cops we get, the higher a chance of getting a mafia member
Rawr!

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:26 am UTC

SPsnow02 wrote:That's possible, But remember, we have 2 different Mafia's, each with 4 members, so we could have any number of cops.

No. No we can't We have the number of police that we were told at the beginning (one). There would not be extra, secret roles that are not special in some way.

If you don't think that my idea is good, argue against it logically, don't say something ridiculous or people will begin to suspect you.
Last edited by Azrael001 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Random passerby goes into the post office and is very annoyed by the complete lack of service in this town. Sheesh, headline said mayor and magistrate dead not postal workers on strike. *rings bell a few hundred more times*

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:31 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:
SPsnow02 wrote:That's possible, But remember, we have 2 different Mafia's, each with 4 members, so we could have any number of cops.

No. No we can't We have the number of police that we were told at the beginning (one). There would not be extra, secret roles that are not special in some way.

If you don't think that my idea is good, argue against it logically, don't say something ridiculous or people will begin to suspect you.

That's not what I meant, I was saying there are 8 mafia member this game, so there could be any number of them claiming to be "Cop"

Besides, I changed my mind two posts ago after thinking about it some more, Its in their benefit to not have people claim to be cop when they aren't.
Rawr!

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:34 am UTC

Actually, we'll have an even BETTER chance if we lynch someone today. Unless we lynch the cop.

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:36 am UTC

Wait a min. that makes no sense because we're choosing from cops....

Vote: No Lynch

Bf2flyby

Postby Bf2flyby » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:37 am UTC

AKAnotu wrote:Actually, we'll have an even BETTER chance if we lynch someone today. Unless we lynch the cop.

Agreed, and it'll give us an idea tomorrow just incase the cop investigates a townie tonight.

I'll stick by my vote of Bulvox, he's seemed the most suspicious today, and that's all we can go off of.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:51 am UTC

Actually, No Lynch is ALWAYS a bad Idea, In the morning we're going to have two townspeople dead, and its more likely than not that the cop will choose to investigate a townsperson and we won't have any new data. I'm leaving my vote with Bulvox.
Rawr!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:57 am UTC

And I'm still trying to get this damn letter mailed. Sheesh, no wonder you people are so eager to kill around here.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:58 am UTC

Well, yeah. No lynch = bad. Every pirate knows that.
However, I'm still not going to vote yet until it's been a while longer, and maybe there's a bit bore conversation to examine.

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:06 am UTC

Well, we're at a tricky point.
If you vote no-lynch, its gonna make you look like a mafite.
Then again, if you vote for someone with no evidence, it also makes you look like a mafite.

I think I'll roll with Rodan for the meantime.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:12 am UTC

SPsnow02 wrote:Actually, No Lynch is ALWAYS a bad Idea, In the morning we're going to have two townspeople dead, and its more likely than not that the cop will choose to investigate a townsperson and we won't have any new data. I'm leaving my vote with Bulvox.

That's true; I almost forgot there are two mafia groups in this game. That means that the cop and the doctor could both die tonight.

Actually, let's list the pairs that can die tonight (and this is not including the doctor's one potential save):
Cop/Doctor: worst possible combination for the town
Cop/Townie: still bad
Doctor/Townie: still bad
Townie/Townie: not as bad
Mafia/Townie: better
Mafia/Mafia: best combination for the town

I don't know. I guess Azrael's system sounds good, but I feel like relying solely on the investigations of the cop is risky. Since Azrael has unveiled his idea to all of us, that means if we use it, the mafia will know we are using it, and it will become less effective. No mafia will say they are the cop now, since it is surefire death to them. If a mafia claims to be the cop, and the legitimate cop is lynched that day, we all find out the cop's role the next day, and we know the mafia was lying, so we will lynch that mafia. Also, I don't get your logic about the doctor guarding the cop we didn't trust during the day because that cop will have been lynched already.

I don't really understand how your system will help us. Can someone explain it to me?

jakeyizle

Postby jakeyizle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:20 am UTC

The only problem with Azrael001's plan is that we will very likely lose our cop. If 3 or more people claim to be the cop, and we lynch a mafia member, then the doctor won't know who to protect. But on the upside, if the cop does get killed by a mafia, the doctor will then know that the person he protected wasn't the cop, and was therefore a mafia member. In that situation, it'd be best for the doctor to try and not just say "I'm the doctor, blah blah blah..."

Day 1 might decide the rest of the game....
"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
Robert Pirsig

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:21 am UTC

Okay, wait. I think I get it now. The people claiming to be cops aren't lynched; the people they suspect are mafia are. Is that right?

But I still don't think it's the optimal system. As I said before, no mafia are going to pretend to be cop because they know if we lynch the person they said was mafia, and we find out that person was not mafia, then the cop-pretender will be lynched. So only one person, the actual cop, will speak up, and the cop may or may not investigate correctly. What do we do if the cop investigated someone, and he/she was innocent? We're back to square one, except now we know for sure that one person is innocent. We still have to lynch someone, though, because the mafia kill two people per night, one of whom may very well be the doctor. And once the doctor is dead, the cop is dead because everyone knows what role he/she has.

Question about the game: What happens if the two separate mafia groups target the same person to be killed?

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:26 am UTC

une see wrote:Question about the game: What happens if the two separate mafia groups target the same person to be killed?

Answer about the game: Then he dies. Only one death.

Lol so i guess Jahoclave is playing the role of various NPC.

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:31 am UTC

The only problem with Azrael001's plan is that we will very likely lose our cop. If 3 or more people claim to be the cop, and we lynch a mafia member, then the doctor won't know who to protect. But on the upside, if the cop does get killed by a mafia, the doctor will then know that the person he protected wasn't the cop, and was therefore a mafia member. In that situation, it'd be best for the doctor to try and not just say "I'm the doctor, blah blah blah..."

Day 1 might decide the rest of the game....

or the doc will be smart enough to protect them...

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:32 am UTC

Also, I'm going the way of Rodan and Tigion
unvote: no lynch

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:51 am UTC

Um...well, we can't all sit around not voting and waiting for other people to talk.

We're going to have to decide: either we go for Azrael's system (which I am still not sure about, by the way), or we lynch somebody we think is most suspicious, even though we currently have nothing to go on besides post content. Right now, only two people have voted, and they have both voted for Bulvox. It doesn't help us at all for people to not contribute to the discussion because they feel they might be lynched for voting one way or the other, or even just for talking.

And yes, I am fully aware that I have not voted yet, but that is because I don't want to vote no lynch, and I don't want to vote for Bulvox just because.

Sledgehmr

Postby Sledgehmr » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:56 am UTC

I'm hesitant to jump on the Bulbox train at this point. I don't think Bulbox's initial statement reflects anything but a vast unfamiliarity with the game. Why would a Mafia member start the game of with accusing someone who hasn't said a word? At that point the only suspicious person would be them and the town would jump on them (which is exactly what happen). If he's a skilled Mafia player he wouldn't have made that post. If he's a skilled Townie he wouldn't have made that post. So the only thing that could've led him to do that would be he just doesn't know how to play.

The way he phrased his first post, since clearly SPsnow has nothing to explain, just shows he wants the game to start. Given that he's a new player, there's a 10/18 chance that Bulbox is a bad townie and a 8/10 chance he's a bad mafia. So a random lynching is more likely to hurt than help us (unless I'm missing something here?). Azrael seems to have a good idea, on the first day only two things can determine who gets lynched, an inexperienced player who draws suspicion accidentally, or a random vote where the odds are we end up hurt ourselves.

So while Bulbox might seem as good as anyone to lynch, I'm not voting for him yet. I think it makes more sense to talk it out and someone will probably act suspicious.

Bf2flyby

Postby Bf2flyby » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:04 am UTC

Well, The idea is, It would be of GREAT benefit to a mafia member to accuse someone randomly, and bad for a townie.

If a townie accuses someone randomly, they have no Idea who is who, so they have a 8/17 chance of getting a mafia member, or a 9/17 chance of getting a good guy, which is losing odds.

If a mafia member accuses someone randomly, they know who's in their gang, so they have a 14/14 chance of getting someone from the other gang or a townie/doctor/cop.

That's just suspicious to me.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:05 am UTC

I say we go with Azrael's plan. Plans are nice and tasty.
Meanwhile, I'd like to lynch Jahoclave, but he's not playing, and I still really don't have any idea who to trust and who not to trust, so I'm still not voting.
I was going to use a random number generator to decide for me, but first it chose me, and on the second try it chose Azrael, who I do kinda trust.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Why can't we go with both plans? Lynch someone tonight, and then, if the cop just investigates a townie and can only say "Blah is innocent" We'll still have stuff to go off of. Also, we can still lynch tonight, and listen to what the cop says tomorrow.
Rawr!

Return to “Mafia”