The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Re: DISCUSSION THREAD/Gojoe canNEVER be trusted

Postby Weeks » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

Whoa, I'd never realize Keeneal was meant as Keene Al. Always read it as keen-ee-all. -.-
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Krong

Postby Krong » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:26 pm UTC

Death Note Legacy:
Spoiler:
Doop dee doo, mieu told the truth, AMT told the truth. At this point I guess I just pick a target from one of them and find a reason to go after them.

Still not sure what to do about the media peoples like (I'm pretty sure) SDG. They keep claiming to be rather survivorish and haven't caused us any problems, so I guess I leave them be. Even though it might be possible to push for a lynch on SDG claiming that he lied about mpolo torturing him. Actually, scratch that, SDG was even accusing mpolo after that, so that might be a bit ridiculous.

Oh, and as for this whole "killing yourself is anti-town" argument, here's my response (which I couldn't make in thread for obvious reasons):

Getting yourself killed simply because you've made a mistake is anti-town, but that's not what happened in HP nor what I was suggesting in this game.

In HP, the town was suspicious that I was a culted/soon-to-be-culted vig. They believed it was in the town's best interests that I die, and I thought at the time that they were right. (Of course, this may have been mpolo leading the town, but the argument made sense to me for whatever reason. At the time I also believed that the cult was weak enough that getting recruited would make me less likely to win, so I was OK with dying at that point.

NOW, the fact that I was OK with dying and seemed obviously to be so in my posts was very persuasive evidence that I was town. Notice how suspicion on me (especially from mpolo) noticeably dropped off after I made that "giving up" self vote. It's kind of a cheap tactic, and one that I don't really plan to use again since I'm explaining it here and I doubt I could pull it off as scum, but it worked. The town went from wanting to lynch me to essentially letting me lead them on a lynch, a lynch which resulted in Brooklynxman's death. It made people feel slightly guilty for suspecting me. So though I did self-vote, I didn't give up -- I spent a heck of a lot of time looking for scum and seeking to persuade people about what I'd found. And I'd say that my self-vote (OK, mostly unintentionally) turned out to be a great pro-town strategy.

In this game, I was only going to give up my name if I'd been betrayed by mieu. If I'd "made a mistake" on mpolo, it would mean that mieu was lying to me and probably scum herself, so I'd just have straight up told the town at that point. I'd definitely explain this before giving out my name. Also, assuming there's scum with a night action and that the DN bearer can use it as much as they want, getting myself killed by Death Note is better for the town than getting killed by lynch, if I'm headed towards a lynch anyway. And I'd assume I would be, after getting a townie killed and trying to lead a new lynch.
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

DN:L
Spoiler:
I have decided I need an appropriately conspiratorial name to call myself via pm.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

I always read it as "Kee(Key)-neal(Like Meal)"
Flying_CookieTM

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

I doubled the n. Keen Neal.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Dark Loink

Postby Dark Loink » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

I always read it as Keen-eel.
...huh.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:39 am UTC

WaBaM
Spoiler:
The more I think about it, the more sure I am that the TTG is the town group. I really hope that it's true, because if it is, then it would be hilarious.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:37 am UTC

(SC) Turbo
Spoiler:
I wish I hadn't gotten so distracted this week, and I wish I were still alive. Lataro would have made a very interesting opponent.
Last edited by b.i.o on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:03 am UTC

Turbo Starcraft ('ey, start naming the turbo games something other than "turbo", we want to know when we can read these.):
Spoiler:
Yeah, I'm the only person to vote for scum. It's almost... oracular.
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

zerker2000

Postby zerker2000 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:18 am UTC

Turbo Starcraft Bastard:
Spoiler:
Is this my first spoiler? I think it is. Oh well, moving right along…
GENERATION -705 - 991i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
ImageDragon Thingie! Image

frogman

Postby frogman » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:20 am UTC

We have 3 spots remaining in Frogzombie, four if we want it to start before the 17th. Sign up, we have candy.
yeah yeah yeah

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:40 am UTC

Bastard Mafia
Spoiler:
dedalus wrote:EH might have just been dropping clues there - he definitely picked up on that pretty fast. I'm thinking I might just not be voting him today again...

I love you dedalus. Yes I am the oracle. Both my possible targets died night 1, and I got roleblocked night 2.
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

Starcraft/Bastard Turbo:
Spoiler:
Aww... well crap.... So I roleblocked the cop..... GREAT job so far this game.... :/ :oops:
And you thought I was crazy...

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

Spoiler:
It is so hard not to give away information. I have to play the EXACT opposite of town, being all secretive with new info I find out. ARGH!

Spoiler:

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:10 pm UTC

WaBaM
Spoiler:
Mega, for all of your Az-voting, I think you actually might be scum. WWS, I'm pretty sure you're scum. Az, you're definitely scum.

Are there really still 3 of you left?

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:29 am UTC

Spoiler:
Ugh. I need to keep this game stalled till anon pm's come online without people realizing it.

Sorry Stiggy, I need to use you.

Spoiler:

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:29 am UTC

DNL
Spoiler:
Argh! I want to get back to AMing and stuff again...
Flying_CookieTM

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:07 am UTC

Death Note:
Spoiler:
Az: <3 Thanks!

June 13, ????

It's been a bad week in the world of the living, alcohol spinning with any number of more natural chemicals in my veins-- such a spin of anger and paranoia and despair I dared not put any words of it to paper even here, under lock and password and encryption and key. Some things are better left forgotten.

Except I never forget.

It's happening again. I swore it would never happen again, but I keep blundering into it all the same. My old paradox: despite my low opinion of people in general, I keep overestimating individuals. Wouldn't you think a malevolent multinational corporation would have a better grasp on strategy? Is that really such an unrealistic expectation?

Oh, christ, I'm that guy again. I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect I'm that guy again-- the one person in the group who actually knows what's going on. You told me about it often, but I don't think you ever believed me when I said I understood. They killed the other torturer, for fuck's sake. The identities of every cop in our goddamn game and they pick him. Their mole, the police captain, the investigator, and they decide to waste their resources on my not-quite-teammate in some arcane attempt to save a doomed man.

This is why I have never been comforted by the feeling that I am the smartest one in the room. I hope to god I'm wrong, because this is the last problem I need.

If I'm really going to be a consultant, I am going to have to readjust the fuck out of my "consultant's fee".

(Not that my boss has any idea about that either. Do you know, I actually looked on NHN's site for any news that the real CEO had been murdered and someone's nephew stuffed haphazardly in his place? But I suppose he's doing the best he can.)

With that, and Mr. Sarsaparilla's failed atempts at saving himself (though I shouldn't blame him, the man's parents were clearly monsters), and this "J" nonsense, and the fact that my boss doesn't trust me even after all of this (though that would be a wise move on the part of anyone else in this "game")-- I think it's understandable, that I should be worried about my teammates' tactical aptitudes.

Mind you, I write this after the fact. There was a point, when DL told me about the second message, that I damn near threw my phone down and went to settle my accounts in blood. I do not like being played with, not ever. Especially not now. And the last couple of days... well.

Fortunately, I can tell when I shouldn't believe a word I say.

That is, by the way, 90% of the time.

But christ, of all the times to have employers like this. I've been rereading Kiyomi's messages, almost compulsively, searching for clues, for any other interpretations-- but more and more I believe that "never trust a shinigami" is pretty fucking unambiguous, if utterly insane. Dead of a heart attack, cell phone in her hand, said NHN-- thirty seconds to spare, and she wasn't the type, by then, who would waste them on anything but the pure, clear truth.

Thirty seconds, and I was the only person she had to send her last words to.

I, who sell all my secrets.

This is the kind of weekend I have had: I cried over that.

It keeps coming back to me, the darkened bar, the whiskey I never actually drank, the cigar smoke of the old drunk at the other corner, "Hey Jude" on the jukebox as you wondered why the hell I put up with you. You don't know the half of it, you didn't know the half of it, but even if I'd told you you'd never have believed me, nor even remembered the next day. I relied so much on that fact, sometimes. More than I should have. This is the kind of weekend I have had: I keep going over all the things I know damned well I was right never to say, that I know would never have made any difference, that I know would only have hurt me in the end-- I keep finding new ways it was all my fault when I know damn well that is the one thing that was never under my control.

Or maybe that's the lie I tell myself so I can sleep at night.

But all of that is nonsense, all of it's a waste of time. Monday's coming, and it's back to work.

And I am very good at my job.

--AT

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:10 am UTC

DNL
Spoiler:
What if I am going about this all wrong?

sdg could be playing me, bio could be us. I need to renact my plan to take down bio.

See, I am starting to think sdg is both a mole.....and town. His actions seem indicative of someone who wants town to win, and while that is all good and well, we want to win as well. I pinned him as the vig in 1959. Should I trust my instinct now. And if I am right, I may be alone.

Fuck me.

New course of action: I trust no one. All information is kept private unless I deem it needed be otherwise. sdg doesn't need to know amt is probably justice, or that I am going to promise DL life by fucking Stig White's reports.

Shit. I am paranoid.

Spoiler:

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:25 am UTC

Halfass new cop-hat avatar is halfass. Also, "half" no longer looks like a word to me.

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:31 am UTC

I can't tell if I'm just using the wrong perspective, but if I'm not, that is one BIG hat...
Flying_CookieTM

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:07 am UTC

If anyone wants to cop hat this image
Spoiler:

I'll make i my avatar.

Yes, cop hat darth vader. ;) And yes, the image needs to be shrunk, I'll do it if you don't wanna.

Spoiler:

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:27 am UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:If anyone wants to cop hat this image
Spoiler:

I'll make i my avatar.

Yes, cop hat darth vader. ;) And yes, the image needs to be shrunk, I'll do it if you don't wanna.

Try this.
Spoiler:
darth-vader.jpg
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:44 am UTC

If we're taking requests for cop hat images, I'd be obliged if someone would put a hat on this:

Here's the full size to work with:
Spoiler:

Unfortunately, my Blümchen picture has no room on the top of the head for a hat.

And _infina_, that looks a little too much like a "Jude" star. :wink:
Spoiler:
Darth-Vader-Jude.jpg
Darth-Vader-Jude.jpg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

First they came for Darth Vader, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Sith Lord...
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

zerker2000

Postby zerker2000 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:57 am UTC

Vox Imperatoris wrote:And _infina_, that looks a little too much like a "Jude" star. :wink:
[img]

First they came for Darth Vader, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Sith Lord...
Nonono:
"THEY CAME FIRST for the Jedi,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jedi.
THEN THEY CAME for the Ewoks,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't an Ewok.
THEN THEY CAME for the Sith Lords,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Sith Lord.
THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time it was obvious Lucas was up to no good."
GENERATION -705 - 991i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

zerker2000

Postby zerker2000 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:11 am UTC

EBWOP: [/nitpick]

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:07 am UTC

zerker2000 wrote:THEN THEY CAME for the Ewoks,

Well, if you spoke up when they came for the Ewoks, then there would be something wrong with you.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:11 am UTC

Vox Imperatoris wrote:
zerker2000 wrote:THEN THEY CAME for the Ewoks,

Well, if you spoke up when they came for the Ewoks, then there would be something wrong with you.

Of course. You have to speak down.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:52 am UTC

Diablo II
Spoiler:
Yee ha!
I is scum.
Even better, I is the GodFather.
Push for a night cop on me, then settle back.
Just got to avoid that D1 lynch.
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:33 pm UTC

WaBaM
Spoiler:
If Az actually gets away from this I'm going to be very annoyed. HE IS SO OBVIOUSLY NOT TOWN.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

Paranoia:
Spoiler:
Aww, I was really hoping to get a nice game of hot potato going with that mine. I mean, I fully expected to die eventually, but I wanted to see it thrown around a bit first!

Dark Loink

Postby Dark Loink » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:00 pm UTC

I was trying to find out how to put a cop hat on my avatar-it didn't really work. Then I thought back to irc.
That pretty much settled it.

DNL:
Spoiler:
First off, I really need to post in here soon, and second...need to look at some player, some random player... :| perhaps tonight, No, this probably didn't need to be spoilered.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

WaBaM
Spoiler:
If Az IS town (I don't think he is, but could be wrong), I have two ways I could play this. The first way would be to just lie about the result, and then claim that it's a paranoid lie detector in the morning. Alternately, I could bus another member of the TTG, and then we could recruit Az (who would be a confirmed townie)...but I don't know how our recruit works. If it isn't an every night thing, or if the recruiter ends up dead, that would be problematic.

I'll just hope that he is, in fact, lying.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:33 pm UTC

Vox Imperatoris wrote:If we're taking requests for cop hat images, I'd be obliged if someone would put a hat on this:

Here's the full size to work with:
Spoiler:

Unfortunately, my Blümchen picture has no room on the top of the head for a hat.

And _infina_, that looks a little too much like a "Jude" star. :wink:
Spoiler:
The attachment Darth-Vader-Jude.jpg is no longer available

I did it in MS Paint, as that is the only program for image editing on this computer, and it was the closest to a sheriff's star. See image below:
Spoiler:
sheriff_star.jpg
sheriff_star.jpg (7.27 KiB) Viewed 4099 times
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

Newbie/1959/Any game I'm ever in with Aardvarki forever: (Aardvarki can never read)

Spoiler:
So you think I'm scummy when I'm town, and think I'm townie when I'm scum. I really hope you keep that up in all the games we play in together, haha.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:I did it in MS Paint, as that is the only program for image editing on this computer, and it was the closest to a sheriff's star. See image below:

I mainly wanted an excuse to put a yellow Star of David on Darth Vader. :P

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:39 pm UTC

Diablo II
Spoiler:
I love playing the GF. We have 2 Townies as top scum, indeed I am the only scum with a vote on, but I don't suspect that will come to anything.

DiscMafia
Spoiler:
Having given the Vote and PM to Vieto and BXM as a hopeful support later in the game, BXM is 'forced' to blab about receiving them, so I lose 50% of my potential support. Day 3 means that I will have to use Vieto and Cynical Idealist.

PS If I have to claim, I will claim my role as MvL, but limit it to enabling PM's only. It has some small power and as the Postman, I should be believed and hope that Vieto and C_I provide support. Let's hope scum 'forget' or 'lose' BXM's claims.
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

Hospital Mafia:
Spoiler:
Am I wrong in thinking that this verges on bastard moddery?

Vox Imperatoris wrote:Wait, why is my role as revealed in the thread different from the role you gave to me?

Flying_Cookie wrote:Your night action actually killed people instead of investigating them.

I don't like it.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

Silknor, just for the heck of it, I made you a transparent version of your cop hat, if you want it:
Silknor Cop Hat.png
Silknor Cop Hat.png (4.43 KiB) Viewed 4037 times

(The box is put there by the forum; it's not in the picture.)

Rhyme

Postby Rhyme » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

Discmafia:
Spoiler:
Argh. I think I have the whole portal thing figured out, and have a guess as to who is scum because of it, but I can't tell anyone because it isn't worth losing all the power roles pointed to, especially as I'm included in said list and will bring another power role down with me. If I'm too obvious about randomly suspecting who I suspect and the scum figure it out (assuming I'm right, at least, which could well not be true), that would be bad. What to do, what to do...
Also, I hope there are no spoiler readers in this game, I strongly dislike that sort of role. Makes people (or at least me) less willing to post spoilers, or more likely to post misleading ones, which makes the game less fun for the people who die or are watching. Most annoying.

Return to “Mafia”