The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

BigNose

Re: DISCUSSION THREAD/Gojoe canNEVER be trusted

Postby BigNose » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:05 pm UTC

DUNE
Spoiler:
Fremen, mason'd with mpolo

ZOO
Spoiler:
Scum gerbil with hidden NK ability

DEXTER
Spoiler:
Offset cop. I get someone else's cop. Targetter is now dead and the only target I got was Az as a role cop, not ability cop.

I think that
1 x Large (>20),
1 x Medium (12-20),
2 x Small (7-14)
and 1 x 21-day Turbo of any size
and 1 x Ultra-Turbo of 7 players and a max of 10 days.
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

Rather than limit how long each game can last, how about limiting how long they're allowed to be in signup?
Obviously large games might need 10 to 14 days, but one of these ultra minis might only require 1 day.

To me, that's half anarchy and half controlled.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:02 pm UTC

There need to be time caps. Or we get mediums going on for 3 months, larges for more than 4, and minis for more than 2. And not because there's lots of activity, but because no one is posting and the mods aren't forcing the game along when the players won't. This is what we used to have, it was bad.

I agree though that any system, including the current one, should have limits on the length of signups. For turbos I try to keep mine to 5 days or less, though I aim for 3 in games where I haven't put a self-imposed cap. I can understand larges going a bit longer, but I can't see any reason why any other game should ever need to be in signups for over a week. If it doesn't fill in that time, it should start with what it has or cancel.

Ultra minis are ideally the type of game that can start within the next 24 hours, or shorter.
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:06 pm UTC

But I think the time limits are down to the mod to control during the game, rather than being policed before it starts.

Of course, there need to be guidelines, but I think more flexibility would equal more games, which I think is good.

I'd rather play five 1-day games than one turbo mini. But that fits with my schedule better, I've started to realise that I'm here almost all the time M-F, but hardly at all during the weekends

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

Before the current system of time limits on the whole game (which is a maximum, not a suggestion or target). Mods weren't putting any time limits on their games.

The current system gives plenty of flexibility to mods to enforce time limits how they please. They can go for any number of options, including making a slightly smaller game than the cap allows for their size (or capping signups on the uncapped turbos).

But the other virtue, which wasn't present before the caps, is that players can make informed decisions. If you know you're going on vacation in 4 weeks, it really matters when each game will end. Same for managing multiple games so you're never in too many at once.

I don't get the flexibility=more games thing. Is there a current shortage of games? If so it's not because the queue slots aren't be used. It's because the queue restricts the number of slots. If lack of flexibility was the problem, we'd see mods not signing up for queue slots since they didn't want to mod with the caps. That's not the case though.
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

I meant more flexibility with the types of games which are on offer.

You're right about the time limits being maximums though, I hadn't considered that, as well as it being used for planning if you'll be available and such.

I have no real complaints about the current system and I certainly don't think I am in any position to say how it should be improved, but maybe there are tweaks like combining the turbo and turbo-mini queues and creating a new one for ultraminis which can help the forum looking forwards.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

CinC:
Spoiler:
So E_E has both quoted a PM and now requested a 'magic item' in public rather than via PM.
The mod is either playing and giving her a weird role, or she's up to something...

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

Dexter:
Spoiler:
Where'd everybody go? Also, what's VZ doing? I'm guessing he's my next target. GRONK!
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:07 pm UTC

CinC
Spoiler:
working theory: all of town are jesterbombs (perhaps except the king) and there is no NK and/or whoever is evil only gets a one-shot NK. My guess is they have to lead a lynch against the King.

If I keep claiming Kin, maybe I'll keep the King safe and get myself lynched?

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

CinC:
Spoiler:
RoadieRich, what's the setup here?

mister k

Postby mister k » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:17 pm UTC

dune

Spoiler:
lost. I don't really know whats going on here. Going to keep playing this like normal mafia.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

CinC (after reading spoilers):
Spoiler:
Awesome jester game is awesome. :D

*grabs popcorn*
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

Misnomer, I like your sig. A lot. :D

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

roband wrote:Misnomer, I like your sig. A lot. :D

Heh, I've been trying to think of the best way to actually play the role. Unless the game had hardly any players, the chances of being called out for lurking each day without getting lynched are slim. I think claiming the posting restriction on day 1 would make the most sense, but that's boring. Claiming voteless or acting like a jester might also work.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

Yeah, over the top vote hopping and looking to be lynched might do it :D

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

roband wrote:Yeah, over the top vote hopping and looking to be lynched might do it :D

It would have to be FoS hopping though - I can't vote until I'm accused of lurking! :P

Seriously though, we definitely need to have some sort of next-generation MetaMafia with all us newer players as roles in it. :D

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

CinC:
Spoiler:
Why am I trying to rigorously define a fake program in a fake programming language? XD The "Check" function is clearly defined in stdlibrary.roy and i do not need to edit. Man, I have been spending the exact wrong amount of time studying programming. Just long enough to be dangerous to myself, and not long enough to be able to do anything useful. ;D

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:15 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:
roband wrote:Yeah, over the top vote hopping and looking to be lynched might do it :D

It would have to be FoS hopping though - I can't vote until I'm accused of lurking! :P

Seriously though, we definitely need to have some sort of next-generation MetaMafia with all us newer players as roles in it. :D

It could be done as a kinda modified PtP game where who signs up influences the roles. For everyone that signs up, the mod makes a role based off their meta, and assigns it to another player. The role list would be the player list. That'd be a pretty interesting game, get on it!
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

I'd pity the person who gets me.
Posting a reply to almost every other post, about 50/50 on content and jokes, not making it to endgame. Funfunfun ;)

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:23 pm UTC

Or at least, that's how I see my meta.
Maybe also posting lots during the week, but not so much during weekends?

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

Sadly I don't have meta due to being absent for ages...I don't even know my IRC meta.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:Sadly I don't have meta due to being absent for ages...I don't even know my IRC meta.

This.

I think Dexter-mafia brought us both back. Though my current meta is probably something like:

"You are Existential_Elevator (Town)
You need to alternate between posting unhelpful analysis and things that are seemingly insane but that will make sense once people read your spoilers. In exchange, you can use a smoke bomb to distract people from lynching you (one-shot)"

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

Hmm...maybe:

You are Weeks. [Town]

You are a miller. You cannot claim miller.

You have a one-shot ability to claim a role and switch your avatar with it. If at least three players believe you, you gain a half-win.

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 pm UTC

I have been considering how to change Lostia to make it more applicable to those who are flavour deficient. How would those who have signed up already feel about the characters being mostly original, but influenced by the show, rather than actual characters from the show? This may make it easier for those without flavour knowledge (i.e. like Death Note Legacy, rather than Death Note).
Where did my old signature go? :(

jayhsu

Postby jayhsu » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

I'd be fine with whatever you choose. I'm sure it'll be really fun either way. There's a lot of ideas to go off on in Lost. Please just make the ending different from the show's. That was kind of disappointing (the flash-sideways ending).
-Jay

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:49 pm UTC

I like games that draw heavily from flavor, for the thrill of playing as our favorite characters. :D (I'm not sure I'll be playing this one, so I'm just giving my two cents...)

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:50 pm UTC

As one of the flavor-deficient who will probably sign up, I really do not care either way. In fact, it seems to me that an original setup might require *more* flavor research-- instead of looking up your character, you have to look up this Dharma crap and this machine thing and read through twelve theories on what the hell the Island even was and...

I kinda favor leaving it the way it is, in short, but it doesn't make much difference to me. :)

vector

Postby vector » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:59 pm UTC

Dr Ug wrote:I have been considering how to change Lostia to make it more applicable to those who are flavour deficient. How would those who have signed up already feel about the characters being mostly original, but influenced by the show, rather than actual characters from the show? This may make it easier for those without flavour knowledge (i.e. like Death Note Legacy, rather than Death Note).

Yeah, please leave it the way it is. If I wanted Lost but with original characters, I'd go read self-insert fanfiction.

[sorry if that's a little harsh. Today is a very bad day]
Come visit the Bay12 Mafia subforum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

Dexter:
Spoiler:
Oh DEAR. VZ just fake claimed the COMPLETE wrong role :(
haha

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

I think this'd be my meta.

"You are Not A Raptor [???]

You have the power to send the game into chaos, or at least completely confuse people as to what you're doing. Unusually, there is about a 1/3 chance of that power working the way you want it to. Nobody will know what the fuck to think about it, regardless."
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:57 pm UTC

Not A Raptor wrote:I think this'd be my meta.

"You are Not A Raptor, you are scum [???]

You have the power to send the game into chaos, or at least completely confuse people as to what you're doing. Unusually, there is about a 1/3 chance of that power working the way you want it to. Nobody will know what the fuck to think about it, regardless."

Fixed it for ya.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:00 am UTC

Dexter:
Spoiler:
Case closed.

(I don't think I did a good job and would not be surprised if something turned awry in the last minute. And...shame I can't put VZ to death. Also, I'm going to be turned in to the FBI. Crap.)

roband

Postby roband » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:03 am UTC

Dexter:
Spoiler:
VZ gave up, falling on his sword with grace. I guess this'll be a quicklynch now with a win for town tonight, assuming Weeks is on the ball and scum don't think to target Dexter.
Not sure why they wouldn't at least try though.

Might seem to be a lost cause though.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:09 am UTC

Dexter:
Spoiler:
Meh. With the scum count at 2/9 and us both under suspicion, with so many named characters practically confirmed, it would've had to be a damn impressive falseclaim to pull out a win.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:27 am UTC

CinC:
Spoiler:
Lataro wrote:HOLY CRAP THERE IS A ROBOT CHASING ME! WHY OH GOD IS A ROBOT CHASING ME?!

AH ha ha ha ha ha ha totally worth it right the heck there. <3

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:37 am UTC

CinC:
Spoiler:
ameretrifle wrote:
Lataro wrote:HOLY CRAP THERE IS A ROBOT CHASING ME! WHY OH GOD IS A ROBOT CHASING ME?!

AH ha ha ha ha ha ha totally worth it right the heck there. <3

Lataro has the option of running away, or letting it investigate him. If it investigates him, it will beep once quietly, and loudly twice. If he runs away, it'll go on to the next target on the list. I've yet to figure out what happens if the loop passes outside the bounds of the target array. Can't be too mean (it was written by someone who wouldn't think to incorporate bound checking), but I think it needs to do something, should everyone run away... Suggestions are welcome.

Also, corrupting the requested "magical artefacts" is a huge amount of fun. What is an evil jester going to do with a one-shot "Make someone unlynchable"? :twisted: , or the poor guy who gets a double tracker/watcher if they manage not to say anything comprehendible for the rest of the day...
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:20 am UTC

Zoo Mafia
Spoiler:
Aaaargh! Rage! Town just got massacred with that trough invention. And I didn't get my invention results in time to warn them. :-/

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:21 am UTC

zoo:
Spoiler:
I could kiss Martin right now. Though I wish my esteemed colleagues had gone for the trough, they may need to be thrown under the bus. This... is going better than expected.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:33 am UTC

Alice:
Spoiler:
This rampant claiming is going to turn into a problem. I do hope the mod has put in mechanisms for dealing with that, not going to be any fun if claiming decides the outcome of the game :/
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

mister k

Postby mister k » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:54 am UTC

Alice

Spoiler:
oh hi mass claim. Thats now 5 claimed town, with me dead! Its not terribly useful, considering THERES A RECRUIT!
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

Return to “Mafia”