The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vieto

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Vieto » Wed May 16, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

Dang it, guys, I want to know what you guys are talking about my post about! :x

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed May 16, 2012 10:40 pm UTC

Zombies
Spoiler:
If JSO turns out to be the zombie, and I just revealed to him that I am the doctor, I am going to be pissed.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu May 17, 2012 12:30 am UTC

Gargoyles:
Spoiler:
For those keeping score (or people reading through spoilers after dying), at this point - halfway through N2, about 48 hours until deadline - here is a full list of the 'weird things' that are causing this whole mess:

-BoomFrog targeted CF as well as Mostlynormal.

That's it. That's the whole thing. (Frankly BF is the victim of bad luck here, as well - both mpolo and wam got a diceroll to see which visit they saw. mpolo could have seen him visiting Mostlynormal instead, and wam could have seen the visits from either careyhammer or flarpfreak, but such was not the divine will of random.org. If mpolo had seen him visiting Mostlynormal, I think this would be an open-and-shut wam lynch and a lot of puzzled expressions the next Night.)

As far as a full list of falsehoods going on so far (that I remember), it's also surprisingly few:
-BoomFrog has been telling the truth about his mason recruit, but lied about targeting CaptainFinglass - he did that as well.
-Snark is lying about being a compulsive busdriver, having it as a noncompulsive power instead.
-careyhammer did target CaptainFinglass, but technically isn't lying about being 'not a scum'.
-KrO2's cop results are false (he's Paranoid, and the only non-sane role in the game), but he seems to be suspicious of this and isn't claiming them in-thread in any event.

Honestly, I'm not sure whether to be pleased or frustrated at the amount of sanity quibbling in this game - I originally just put the sanity quote in the rules as a boilerplate, lifted from Werewolf because I like such general boilerplate rules, and only afterwards did I decide there were too many investigative roles and decided to make Talon paranoid. That said, I am pleased that the redirect is sowing confusion (that was literally its entire purpose), and that BF is using his mason recruit to good effect - I was expecting people to view the leader of a mason group as basically confirmed town, hence why I putt Matt Bluestone in the game as a mason with a 'deculter' flavor just to be sure that there'd be *someone* around to get suspicious.

I'm still pleased with myself for having Elisa Maza, the detective, in the game and *not* as a cop.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu May 17, 2012 1:13 am UTC

Elvish Pillager wrote:And we'd never be all online at the same time enough to collaborate properly! :D

Actually, shift-work can be pretty damn useful once the game actually starts. As long as you've got a system to figure out who is doing/has done what. Usually accomplished by copying every mod in on all the things...

...Mason groups in a five-mod game. Chriiiiiiist...

...Someone would have to be mason/mafia-chat monitoring mod, given the PM limits, unless you wanted to skip group chat or monitoring group chat altogether. That or take the communication off-site.

...Why am I devoting any thought to this? XD

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu May 17, 2012 2:58 am UTC

Mad Bomber
Spoiler:
Call me overconfident, but I give it like a 95% chance I'm going to win. The reason that people were targeting me yesterday was proved faulty twice over, since I was right about the time and lynx wasn't the bomb, so I wasn't pushing for anything. And I got really lucky that NU messed up. Snark will probably go with me, and hopefully cjquines or JSO hammers. If this doesn't happen, doom is probably in my future for being too aggressive, but I'm pretty sure if I was actually town and a scumtell that strong occurred, I would act the same way.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Mostlynormal

Postby Mostlynormal » Thu May 17, 2012 3:00 am UTC

Gargoyles:
Spoiler:
DBC, I just wanted to say that this game is awesome! :D This is just about the weirdest, most tangly N2 I've ever had.

It's also making me very paranoid. I've toyed several times with the idea that Boomfrog was scum ever since I noticed the recruit PM never explicitly confirmed his towniness. In some ways it would certainly explain a whole lot!

[username]

Postby [username] » Thu May 17, 2012 4:20 am UTC

Puella Magi Madoka:
Spoiler:
I'd like to take a minute to welcome wam to the Witches. We're gonna have a great time out there, buddy.

:twisted:
Duck.

cjdrum's the ghost: [username] but a host!
For the secrets of my old avatar, click here!

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu May 17, 2012 5:43 am UTC

Puella Magi Madoka Mafia
Spoiler:
Picked an unfortunate time for a supposed shift in play style. Oh well. Hoped to live through the night to post that. Wonders if people noticed. Shrugs. Makes no difference.

Totally ate the parfait. What else was Vanilla Town supposed to do? Sounded impressive and tasty.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu May 17, 2012 7:11 am UTC

Deva wrote:Puella Magi Madoka Mafia
Spoiler:
Picked an unfortunate time for a supposed shift in play style. Oh well. Hoped to live through the night to post that. Wonders if people noticed. Shrugs. Makes no difference.

Totally ate the parfait. What else was Vanilla Town supposed to do? Sounded impressive and tasty.

Puella Magi Madoka Mafia
Spoiler:
Wait for me to win :twisted:

Deva overestimated the craziness of my game too much. The only thing crazy about it is being a cult in micro.

[username]

Postby [username] » Thu May 17, 2012 8:23 am UTC

Puella Magi Madoka:
Spoiler:
Hoping wam plays this well. If Adam H, Deva or greenlover votes... BAM. I hope.

It's good that everyone else seems to think that we're at 4-1; they may not be so careful with their votes because of that :twisted:

Maybe I'll start pushing horrible logic for the likelihood of a cult. Maybe that will work. I hope so.
Duck.

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Thu May 17, 2012 11:07 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:And we'd never be all online at the same time enough to collaborate properly! :D

Actually, shift-work can be pretty damn useful once the game actually starts. As long as you've got a system to figure out who is doing/has done what. Usually accomplished by copying every mod in on all the things...

Yeah, but we WOULD have to design the game first.

ameretrifle wrote:...Mason groups in a five-mod game. Chriiiiiiist...

...Someone would have to be mason/mafia-chat monitoring mod, given the PM limits, unless you wanted to skip group chat or monitoring group chat altogether. That or take the communication off-site.

Nah, you could just set up a temporary mod account that all five people have access to. That way everyone can CC just one mod account.

ameretrifle wrote:...Why am I devoting any thought to this? XD

Probably because you are awesome and badass.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu May 17, 2012 1:57 pm UTC

Mad Bomber Mafia (not a spoiler):

New User - try changing the time setting in your user control panel for daylight savings is in effect. The forums should give the right time for you then. (Referencing this post).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu May 17, 2012 2:03 pm UTC

puella madoka
Spoiler:
hrrmmmm... I was homura, town cop. I copped deva as innocent. But then I was culted by username. What to do, what to do? My first instinct is to claim deva is scum. If by chance a tracker/watcher corroborates, then all the better. And my claim is pretty believable, I copped deva when I was a town cop, so it's obviously something I would have done as a town cop... It's 3-2, and I'm pretty sure if we lynch deva then we win, BUT if I fail then it'll look like I'm protecting my scummate. And I have never played with Deva before; I don't know how good she'll be at counterclaiming. And if Deva is Madoka or Mami, then that claim probably looks townier than mine.

Hrrrrrmmmmmmmm...

EDIT: Going with option C: blatent lies! I think it's pretty good though. I don't think there's a roleblocker in the game, while if there were a NK faction there probably would be a roleblocker. And I suspect Deva is vanilla madoka, so I'm hoping there won't be a compelling argument against me.
-Adam

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu May 17, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

zombies
Spoiler:
Damn, t1mm is psychic. He's investigating the last scum after being first to vote on the other scum, all on very shaky D1 content.

N1 is paving the way for a claim-filled D2:
-paranoid cop sees that roband is mafia
-sane cop sees that roband is innocent
-sane mafia-cop sees that wam is mafia
-mafia turns Snark into zombie
-sane zombie-cop sees that Snark is zombie
-insane doctors turn each other into potential zombies
-vig withholds kill (like a good vig)

I would have preferred the zombie-cop to check mafia and mafia-cop to check zombies, but oh well. :P
-Adam

CaptainFinglass

Postby CaptainFinglass » Thu May 17, 2012 4:20 pm UTC

Gargoyles

Spoiler:
For the freakin love. I'm so confused :P I'm pretty sure wam is scum, and I think that US might be to. But mafia will probably try and kill me again tonight, and unless there is a doctor, I'm dead. Which is a shame.
Allons-y!

greenlover

Postby greenlover » Thu May 17, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

CaptainFinglass wrote:Gargoyles

Spoiler:
For the freakin love. I'm so confused :P I'm pretty sure wam is scum, and I think that US might be to. But mafia will probably try and kill me again tonight, and unless there is a doctor, I'm dead. Which is a shame.

Gargoyles (CF cannot read)
Spoiler:
I'm not really following this game, so I don't have anything to say. But this is simply too good to resist responding to. ;)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu May 17, 2012 5:13 pm UTC

greenlover wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'm not really following this game, so I don't have anything to say. But this is simply too good to resist responding to. ;)

Gargoyles (CF can't read)
Spoiler:
That is so mean ;)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu May 17, 2012 5:23 pm UTC

Gargoyles:
Spoiler:
I think after the game's over, I'll go back and edit in a full list of Day actions into each Nightfall post, under a spoiler. It should make it more interesting for re-reading later! (Also some modnotes/thoughts.)

Also, you guys are cruel ;)
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

lynx

Postby lynx » Thu May 17, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:zombies
Spoiler:
Damn, t1mm is psychic. He's investigating the last scum after being first to vote on the other scum, all on very shaky D1 content.

N1 is paving the way for a claim-filled D2:
-paranoid cop sees that roband is mafia
-sane cop sees that roband is innocent
-sane mafia-cop sees that wam is mafia
-mafia turns Snark into zombie
-sane zombie-cop sees that Snark is zombie
-insane doctors turn each other into potential zombies
-vig withholds kill (like a good vig)

I would have preferred the zombie-cop to check mafia and mafia-cop to check zombies, but oh well. :P

Zombies
Spoiler:
Sounds like quite a game. How can a doctor be insane by the way, and what's a potential zombie?

Also on a side note, almost half the posts in Mad Bomber have been made D3. It's certainly heating up!

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu May 17, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

Mad Bomber
Spoiler:
I guess this is what I get for being overconfident. I don't think I'm a goner yet, though.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

New User

Postby New User » Thu May 17, 2012 6:22 pm UTC

Mad Bomber
Spoiler:
Consistent with the flavour text, BoomFrog should have called this game Saw.

fshfood

Postby fshfood » Thu May 17, 2012 7:18 pm UTC

Zombies

Spoiler:
I think I made a mistake on who to role cop. If I was thinking last night, I should have investigated JSO and saved roband for tonight. But, if I am sane, I got a good result and am less suspicious of roband.

greenlover

Postby greenlover » Thu May 17, 2012 7:47 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
greenlover wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That is so mean ;)

Spoiler:
Precisely. >:)

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu May 17, 2012 7:57 pm UTC

Puella Magi Madoka Mafia
Spoiler:
Drew a new picture. Copied nothing this time, other than a dash of The World Ends With You's style with Noise. Lacks the visuals of a copied piece, naturally. Appears nothing like Madoka's witch form, either. Applied some creative license.
Witch Madoka.png
Poor teddy bear. And Sayaka.

Has been avoiding a Sayaka piece. Found a good base. Cannot match Saber's pose, though.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu May 17, 2012 8:00 pm UTC

greenlover wrote:
Angua wrote:
greenlover wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That is so mean ;)

Spoiler:
Precisely. >:)

Gargoyles (CF can read):
Spoiler:
I agree with greenlover.
-Adam

roband

Postby roband » Thu May 17, 2012 8:01 pm UTC

Such a bastard.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu May 17, 2012 8:18 pm UTC

Yeah that was pretty awesome of me. :D

Zombies:
Spoiler:
Poor, poor, poor Matt and Wam. I feel terrible. But it's also pretty hilarious. Maybe one day they'll last through D2 as a scum team. :lol:

Also, I chuckled at roband calling me a bastard.
-Adam

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu May 17, 2012 8:28 pm UTC

Very general spoiler that relates to all of my games and isn't really a spoiler
Spoiler:
Defending other people is usually a scumtell right? Because I am usually inclined to defend someone's reasoning if I understand what they are trying to say and someone is attacking them. I've exercised a decent amount of self-control so far, but I also feel like I should be getting what I think out there at the same time. What do I do?

roband

Postby roband » Thu May 17, 2012 8:51 pm UTC

So if it's not a spoiler, can I read it?

I'm gonna guess you're asking for some kind of advice, if so, I wouldn't give any advice which I thought might influence a game we were in together anyway :)

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 pm UTC

Yes, you can read it. I tend to joke-spoiler sometimes.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu May 17, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

All Games...EVER:
Spoiler:
:P
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

@US: if you pull the same thing often enough people will learn to accept it. Look at Lataro, he can basically pull whatever and be good with it, and I can roughly get away with any vote with any backup, and greenlover can get away with not posting ever. Play your style, defend your style, and if it's effective, people will accept it.

[username]

Postby [username] » Thu May 17, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

Puella Magi Madoka:
Spoiler:
wam is being a bit too obviously distanced from me, IMO. I hope he comes to his senses when Deva starts getting some votes.
Duck.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 17, 2012 11:53 pm UTC

New User wrote:Mad Bomber
Spoiler:
Consistent with the flavour text, BoomFrog should have called this game Saw.

Mad Bomber
Spoiler:
I almost did, but I've never actually seen one of the saw movies so I didn't want to give people false expectations.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

wam

Postby wam » Fri May 18, 2012 12:25 am UTC

zombies

Spoiler:
Argh why does this come up when I'm going away forthree days and I have spent the evening in the pub. I also reckon Im screwed, which is doubly annoying as I was 50/50 between killing snark and tim. Also Snark survived which makes me think he is either the zombie and bullet proof or the mafia doctor got him (probably the 2nd).
Come join us playing mafia signup here

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri May 18, 2012 5:10 am UTC

Shadowrun
Spoiler:
There's a bit of a problem for the mafia now but they could still win. The problem is that town has bigger guns they they do. The good news for them is the fire elemental is now unleased.

The interesting part is that I don't think Adam H knows 100% who the last mafia is, and Kro2 certainly does not. I have no idea how this is going to end.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

flarpfreak
Location: Next to a salty body of water, no, it's not the ocean

Postby flarpfreak » Fri May 18, 2012 5:31 am UTC

Shadowrun
Spoiler:
Oh me yarm I was completely right for once, the only for the town kill comes from me, I am so in shock that my NK on Snark actually worked, and that he was actually scum. I can tell that quite a few people were out a NKing last night too though.
Wait, what?

fshfood

Postby fshfood » Fri May 18, 2012 5:54 am UTC

Shadowrun

Spoiler:
AAARRRRGGGGHH!!!! Why oh why didn't we protect Snark? If we did, I think we would have won. Now we have 2 drones that are independent? And 3 others that are who knows what. I would assume one of them killed snark, unless it was newuser. Now what?

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri May 18, 2012 6:51 am UTC

Shadowrun:
Spoiler:
Wow, somebody didn't like me...used my stimpatch, giving me 5 health (6 if one of the attacks was magic), and still bit the dust <_< My best guess is that I got shot by a pistol (2 damage) and eculc's HAND OF FIERY WRATH (3 after 1 resistance)? feelsbadman.jpg

Wonder how differently this game would have gone if I'd mason'ed New User N1...ah well. I do feel better about myself for the fact I would have been putting my vote on Snark if they hadn't hammered without me, though.

I had a *lot* of fun powers that never really got used, but such is life.

Oh, and...

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri May 18, 2012 7:09 am UTC

Shadowrun
Spoiler:
You actually got hit by the Rat Shaman's overcast powerbolt and Snark's pistol shot. It exactly killed you after healing. New User (mage who had healing) or the Street Samurai had the power to save you if they had know to use it on you. Eculc and New User actually decided to take out Adam H but drones are immune to magic. (That and spirits are immune to physical damage were two of the biggest pieces of flavor information that I probably should have put in the OP but I didn't want to reveal that drones and spirits were in the game.)

Glad you had fun. I'm already brainstorming about Shadowrun Mafia II, but I think my brain needs a rest for a little while first.

Return to “Mafia”