The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

wam

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby wam » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:43 pm UTC

Bayeisan

Spoiler:
My plan is to claim a watcher along the same lines as madges tracker if pushed. Ironically the one I actually visited is Just_me not kalira.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:59 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Madge wrote:I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post or not. I already complimented Misnomer in PM but I just want to say this game flavour and setup is beautiful and I feel privileged to be playing!

Yes! Looking like a dream Twitch Plays Pokémon game! My only regret is to not be playing, but, I should be specially useful if Anarchy wins, as I should be able to check the thread at least every half hour as long as I'm awake.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:14 am UTC

Twitch-a-twitch-a-twitch (TPP):
Spoiler:
I voted anarchy because (a) it lets us do more things, and (b) it means that mafia can't sneakily collaborate to let the actions benefit them, like making Red use Helix on a scum member. After all, if there are more town than scum, then I can only assume that letting each player take n actions means that there will be more actions taken by town than scum.

Oh, and btw, I'm ATV the Venomoth! Go town! My ability is solely to enable others' (or at least make them unblockable)!
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:42 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
I'm Burrito, scum lie-detector.
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:33 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
So, I'm BirdJesus. Well, not really. I'm part of the mafia, and have the ability to be confirmed by the mod as Bird Jesus in-thread. So, close enough, right?
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:48 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Role: Abby, town cop.
More as I figure out wth is going on.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:40 pm UTC

TPP

Spoiler:
I'm Air, the town roleblocker. Should be interesting, definitely. I'm really excited about this.
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:20 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Looks like it's Anarchy then - oh boy, this could be interesting. :P
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:28 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Yeah, gotta say that Democracy winning would have been a bummer :P

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:40 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
now that I've actually read through the thread...wow. Talk about experimental.

I think anarchy might be advantageous to scumteam. Letting everyone else kill each other with PC releases might be nice, but I'm concerned about how the chaos might backfire.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:09 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Why does eculc have two spoilers already?

SUSPICION
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:03 pm UTC

Bayesian

Spoiler:
Come on adam call the deadline before the kalira bandwagon gets any more traction as otherwise I will be doing a lot of explaining in the night chat as to why i lead a badwagon on a scummate.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:06 am UTC

Iliad
Spoiler:
FB was a gorram PGO?! Not happy!
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:12 am UTC

Suzaku wrote:Iliad
Spoiler:

Iliad
Spoiler:
Yeah, a one-shot PGO with one-shot death protection. (He's Achilles.) Sorry for the bad luck.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:15 am UTC

Iliad
Spoiler:
Surprised that Xenos actually flipped Mafia. Very nice catch USN! (I suspected it first, but I thought it'd have been something a townie could do.)

And if people suspect me for talking on this thread instead of posting on game thread:

I'M TOWN, YOU SEE? POSTING ONLY ON THIS THREAD ISN'T SCUMMY!

I'd probably go and babble about how I think Lataro is scum and how Adam looks bad for suspecting USN (who, I don't think there's a way in hell would have bused Xenos), and they're probably town. I'd also get attention to myself and risk getting lynched, as it happens. So, yup, letting others talk first.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:15 am UTC

mpolo wrote:
Suzaku wrote:Iliad
Spoiler:

Iliad
Spoiler:
Yeah, a one-shot PGO with one-shot death protection. (He's Achilles.) Sorry for the bad luck.

Still Iliad
Spoiler:
Serves me right for using my wife as an RNG :)
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:25 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Whoa! This is nerve wracking! Like, if I send a PM to the wrong person, or carry the wrong action or reveal something wrong in the game's flavor, I could ruin the whole game!

For the benefit of spectators, and, because I think this information should only be withheld from players, but not everyone else, I'll say the next action sent by wam, whatever it is, will take effect. So I'm all like "oh god, what will he send??"

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:26 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
2 observations so far...

1. I am VERY pleased that there's a decent split amongst the players over anarchy vs. democracy - was very anxious when designing the game that one system shouldn't be obviously better than the other. Of course, the net result is that both systems are probably equally unhelpful, but never mind :twisted:
2. While successful Red actions certainly have the potential to swing the game, I would personally say that they're something of a sideshow - if town wins, it'll most likely be down to good old-fashioned scum hunting and clever lynching rather than any of the gimmicks.

Also, very glad that the Strength typo got picked up early! Had anyone actually tried to use it, I think I would have had to leave it as a vig, which could have led to an absolute bloodbath of a game (though of course, it may still be a bloodbath anyway...) :wink:
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:11 pm UTC

Iliad
Spoiler:
It appears I was accosted before I could investigate Lataro. I may have been roleblocked. It could have something to do with Lataro. Idk. I hate not getting results. :x
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:13 pm UTC

Iliad

Spoiler:
So with me being the only Trojan left, it looks like time to hand over the sword to Aeneas and see how many Greeks I can take with me to the underworld.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:43 pm UTC

Iliad
Spoiler:
unfortunately i didnt pay attention to the deadline and didn't submit any actions last night (to add someone to my mason chat). And since DJ died, I've got no one to talk with.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:09 am UTC

illad:

Spoiler:
Double gamble.

I don't know for a fact that USN is town, it just seems very likely given the number of deaths last night, and the fact that I jailkept her.

Also, total made up role, sounds like a good one to put in the bank for another game though. The idea of a cop picking a target, and the results being sent to another player would be a great way of getting cop results out early without putting the cop on the spot.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:17 am UTC

TPP (twitch plays pokemafia)

Spoiler:
Just realised I haven't posted, nobody's posted, so I made a post (and then an extra additional post about politics)

I'm wondering why there's so little activity - we'll see what happens, I suppose.

Incidentally, I'm Bill. I'm a misunderstood tragic character who has been enslaved by the computer to release all the pokemon. So in other words I'm a serial killer who is able to use the PC at night. I've never played SK before so I'm not entirely sure how to go about it - I'm just pretending I'm Town, going to play like Town except for my night actions, and if I'm given a choice of who to kill I will use random.org because I don't want to risk my choices of target implicating me.

My safeclaim is Red, which is kind of annoying because it's a hard character to come up with a convincing fake power for; however, I guess I can just use my real power and claim to be using it for good. Heck, I'm half considering "using it for good" one night.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:21 am UTC

Iliad
Spoiler:
Given Lataro's claim I see two options.

1. The person who knocked me out was a type of modified roleblocker who reverses the action taken. I copped Lataro, he targeted me, I get no results and Lataro gets an accurate cop result on me.

2. Lataro was the one who knocked me out, has some sort of investigation role, and revealed me as town to give himself townie points.

Basically if it was anybody other than Lataro, I would assume the first option. Lataro's too good for this game to be straightforward though.

Also, I don't know how much of this I should reveal. I am a cop with no results. It's not exactly wise to out myself for no reason. I could lie and say I have a one-shot, or maybe a series of one-shots, however I don't know which is worse, claiming cop or JOAT, and has anybody ever believed a one-shot claim when the game wasn't riddled with one-shots? Sigh. I don't know what to do yet, but I have to say something.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:19 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Hmmm, I wonder - has Madge deliberately posted misinformation about how democracy mode works, or is it a genuine misunderstanding? In any case, I shan't address it myself unless a player asks for mod clarification.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:11 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Anarchy is indeed going to look very bad if wam never sends a red action :O

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:38 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Thinking the low activity of the game because it started on a weekend is an exceptional circumstance and extension should be granted. I remember Scooby Mafia being hurt because of this. Strict Turbo limits were put in place when another mod was waiting in the queue for their Turbo to start, but this isn't currently the case, so mods have no need to force the game into the 21 days limit.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:53 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:TPP
Spoiler:
Thinking the low activity of the game because it started on a weekend is an exceptional circumstance and extension should be granted. I remember Scooby Mafia being hurt because of this. Strict Turbo limits were put in place when another mod was waiting in the queue for their Turbo to start, but this isn't currently the case, so mods have no need to force the game into the 21 days limit.
TPP
Spoiler:
I may well grant an extension, but I don't want to do it just yet - and I certainly don't want to make it seem likely. Firstly, I think if I grant an extension now it makes it more likely that we'll remain at our current slow pace - I suspect the urgency of a more imminent deadline will speed things up a little.

Secondly, I thought wam's reasons for an extension were just a little rubbish tbh! :P posting may have been low, true, but they have a whole raft of political votes, Red actions, rolespec and several role hints to go on already - if anything, I'd say they have more information than players usually have ahead of a D1 lynch!

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:05 am UTC

I've decided, Mafia willing, that if all goes according to plan the World Powers Mafia should show itself sometime after Easter.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:03 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
I'm an old softy at heart really. :wink:

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:41 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Yay for Christmas ghosts!

Anyway, really worried about the viability of Anarchy, seems a single player can clog up the whole process, so Democracy can get a lot more done in the same time (at least 3 times as much, in this case). But let's see how Democracy goes, tomorrow...

Bayesian
Spoiler:
Whoa, can't believe I quit because one of the lynches was random, without noticing, until now that... everything is random! All the results that people get from other people depend of a random number, and it's there on the rules:

If the player is scum, X=Sqrt(rand())
If the player is town, X=1-Sqrt(rand())
where rand() is a random number between 0 and 1

And the game runs on that. Now my complain looks as silly as complaining there's a jester in a game called Jokers of Mafia XD

wam

Postby wam » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:28 am UTC

Bayesian

Spoiler:
Adam sorry if I have backed you into a corner here.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:26 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Oh god, and it happened! When sending the PM to Madge, somehow, the message history of how I PM'd WilliamTheConqueror got at the bottom o_O - must be more careful when sending PMs (doesn't matter because she knows WilliamTheConqueror wasn't lying about the 9 townies remaining, but she would have known anyway - she still can see how WilliamTheConqueror asked if he was allowed to reveal that info, which Madge wasn't meant to see).

Anyway, Conman is next, Anarchy is quickly catching up, I wonder if I'll have to eat some of my words later (but, eh, at least the people changing their votes for Democracy would have to eat them too.)

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:35 pm UTC

Iliad

Spoiler:
I investigated Adam last night and received a cryptic prophecy, from which I was able to determine his role. So I guess that extra year as an undergrad so I could double major in astrophysics and classical civilization wasn't a total waste.

I think freezeblade is Achilles and is town. It would fit with the flavor as to why he can't vote for the Achaean night kill (Achilles is not participating in the war because of a disagreement with Agamemnon). And he mentioned he might be able to vote later in the game (maybe if Patroklus dies?). I would rather lynch someone else but I'm not sure who yet.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:10 am UTC

Twitch Plays Pokemafia
Spoiler:
Conmoth Complete PNG.png

Feels significantly prouder of Venomoth than Pikachu.

May or may not produce additional pictures. Depends on inspiration and difficulty. Expects few to none based on avatars. Will not draw Pokémon flashing each other.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

New User

Postby New User » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:53 am UTC

Bayesian
Spoiler:
Wrong again about moody. Maybe. I lack confidence in my ability hunt scum, because I am so often wrong.

Now I think the scum team is mpolo, Kalira, and Suzaku. Maybe cemper93. I watched Madge and saw Suzaku with an 81% of having visited Madge during N2. Since Madge claims to have been roleblocked, that would make Suzaku a scum roleblocker. Now I need to think of a way to bait Suzaku into admitting something without revealing too much myself. If I just come right out and claim my results, he could falseclaim anything believable if he's scum. He could even just say that he didn't visit Madge at all, and my random numbers were the real culprit. But someone must have visited Madge besides myself, if she was indeed roleblocked. And Suzaku is the only one I have a result for.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:16 am UTC

Twitch Plays Pokemafia (@Deva)
Spoiler:
That's beautiful!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:39 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
So, I have a one-shot cop. Who to use it on?

kalira

Postby kalira » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:02 pm UTC

Bayesian:

Spoiler:
REALLY, ADAM?? God, this is my first game as scum, and it really feels like it sucks for us. As I said in game, I prob wouldn't have signed up for this if I'd known about the work trip earlier, because not having time to post is not really something town accepts as an excuse.

However, there are so many investigative powers that the slightest of infractions gets you investigated, and I don't know what the RNG is doing right now other than killing me. Seriously, though... in actuality, I got a 9% scum probability on Madge last night. She's already had a 4%. And she got a 99% against me? ARGHHHHHHHHHH! These numbers cannot be reality, man!

(Side note: I'm not really angry at you, Adam, unless you're actually screwing around with the numbers, in which case I will hold a fiery grudge against you for a while. This is just damn frustrating, and we haven't even been able to make a NK yet. What is that even about??)
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:08 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Ah, the old town-pretending-to-be-jester-to-get-out-of-the-mislynch gambit. I'm not sure it's ever been tried. Well, there's a first time for everything! :D

Edit: *Shrug*
Last edited by Adam H on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-Adam

Return to “Mafia”