The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

WilliamTheConqueror

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

TTP:
Spoiler:
....WHY DO I MANAGE TO FUCK EVERYTHING UP. Everyone's sending off weird signals and I'm not playing this well at all, even if I'm town. I'm absolute shit at analyzing things, especially stuff like this. Ugh, FOS will probably be on me the next day.
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:31 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Day end just before I can post...
Kinda surprised by the Adam lynch, but he was being a little strange towards the end of today.
But Adam can sometimes just be like that.

And I'm Drowzee The Keeper by the way.
I actually have a very boring power; passive roleblock on anyone targeting me. I'm told what actions I was targeted with too.
Of course, NKs will still work on me. :(

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:42 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Misnomer wrote:Seriously, what was with that boy today? So many of his attempted actions were ending in complete failure. Perhaps the voices in his head had voices in their heads?

Brilliant XD

This is the reason I'm not sending flavor :mrgreen:

Also, should co-mod more carefully, the role and alignment of Adam H being revealed immediately took me by surprise!

Game seemed a lot more fun with the 24 hour extension, but, bringing it on the last minute so people would not go lazy was a great idea!

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:41 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
wow, we actually got adam lynched? way to go scum team.

the one-shot cop returns a result of "ally" "enemy" or "other". I'm a bit concerned what "other" means (probably not aligned, but maybe something else too), but I'm going to use it and then reverse the result to deliver it to everyone else.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:34 pm UTC

TPP

Spoiler:
Lol, was I that much of a fanatic for democracy that the mods put me in the flavour text?! Not sure how I feel about this!

Gotta hope nobody pokedex's me because I'm going to look so scummy if I get pokedexed. I kind of freaked out a little when someone tried to pokedex me and had to re-compose my response to it about 4 times before I said something I thought sounded non-scummy.

With my one PC action I've deposited mpolo. Basically I figure that in anarchy as we are now they're not going to be able to withdraw him, and with someone trying to deposit him before the day end it's going to cause more wine than anything else.

I've never been SK before so I'm not sure how I'm playing. I just wanted to play like town, but I'm worried that since I seem so prominent I'm going to be copped tonight and then my jig will be up.

In any event, I think my fakeclaim is going to be useless - if I ever get pokedex'd I'm dead. I think I've got a better chance convincing people that Bill is not a scummy rolename. It really depends on the rolename/alignment that miller!mpolo flips, though.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:58 pm UTC

TPP:
Spoiler:
What the hell, Adam? :(
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:59 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:TPP:
Spoiler:
What the hell, Adam? :(

EBWOP, still TPP:
Spoiler:
I assume the plan was to get people to stay away from lynching you for one night, then revealing yourself to someone at night? Just a little too crazy to work, apparently.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:19 am UTC

iliad:

Spoiler:
It better be all scum voting for me. This is why I keep quitting, its no fun to be lynched for no/stupid reasons constantly. Less when everyone is being lurky.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:09 pm UTC

Bayesian:

Spoiler:
Damn. I so wanted to pull out one more day with it, if only to say I was found 99% guilty and managed not to get lynched. Also to likely draw investigations that will now probably go against mpolo. In order to seem more town, though, I had to do the whole "do it if it will expose something mafia" thing. I doubt it gets anyone off my wagon, but maybe if wam uses his power to obfuscate the lynchee's flip, we'll get luckier than we've gotten at any point up to this in this game and I might end up with a more townie flip?

This was an interesting idea for a game, though the math/statistics are/were difficult to wrap my head around. Also, the number of investigations per night is TOO DAMN HIGH! </meme> Up to five investigations in a night?! WHAT?! And that's not including whatever scum have to reveal/pretend to reveal, 'cause everybody else is revealing they got investigation results.

I don't know what happened night 2 -- night 1 it's clear Vytron/Suzaku got jailed which saved him. Target for night 2 didn't have anything that screamed "protect me" about him, though, and yet, no NK again. Ugh... I just don't know what went wrong this game. I wonder how differently it might have gone had I been able to post more. I gotta apologize to my scummates for that. Oh well, I'll be scum again some other day and actually be able to post. :)
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:28 pm UTC

TPP:

Spoiler:
I am The False Prophet, Flareon. Cult leader. Have a safeclaim of Lord Helix, but I'm not sure if I should use that, since Madge has proposed Lord Helix might be a traitor in this game -- which is weird... IGMEOY for that, Madge. Anyway, have attempted to convert ConMan to become a Devotee of Dome tonight. With any luck, I'll have someone to talk to tomorrow night. :)

New User

Postby New User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:16 pm UTC

Bayesian
Spoiler:
It seems every time I make a spoiler in this thread, it's explaining to the audience that I think I know what's going on in the game. But then almost immediately after, what I thought I knew is revealed to me to be false. Look at the spoiler I made earlier where I thought Suzaku was a scum roleblocker. Now that he has claimed that he is a proxy cop and that he targeted Madge, I think that makes sense. So that means Suzaku is... less scummy than before.

I just don't know what's going on in this game. Like pretty much every game.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:41 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Oh well, sorry Madge, if you are reading this, you're dead (well, obviously...)

Turns out you played townie very well. Too well as mafia is plotting your demise because you looked the most townie! They'll be greatly surprised when you flip SK. I wonder if you survived N1 :o

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:07 pm UTC

illiad
Spoiler:
Hm. methinks that Vytron is my Patroclus. that would explain why he's agreeing with me so much, perhaps he was told who I was from the beginning. He could be the indie survivor with a twist, he only wins if I survive, or if he dies before I do, which would be flavored correctly
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:11 pm UTC

Bayesian

Spoiler:
As things are turning out in this game, it seems to be pretty heavily weighted against scum. I can only hope that my vote for kalira puts some distance in there, or that my "townie result" on New User (and real townie result on BigNose for that matter) makes them look a little bad.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:14 pm UTC

Bayesian:
Spoiler:
Scum had their kills blocked by the jailkeeper on N1 and the doctor on N2. What's funny is the doctor thought he was a vig for N2, so he really wanted the scum NK target dead, but he saved him instead.

I think it's balanced fine, scum is just getting unlucky with the night actions.
-Adam

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:54 pm UTC

TTP
Spoiler:
Wait, what did I miss? How did just_me die? o_o

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:58 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:TTP
Spoiler:
Wait, what did I miss? How did just_me die? o_o

TPP
Spoiler:
Wam vig killed him - just as well really, otherwise we'd have had a kill-less night...
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:10 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Bayesian:
Spoiler:
Scum had their kills blocked by the jailkeeper on N1 and the doctor on N2. What's funny is the doctor thought he was a vig for N2, so he really wanted the scum NK target dead, but he saved him instead.

I think it's balanced fine, scum is just getting unlucky with the night actions.

Still Bayesian:

Spoiler:
It's not so much the blocked kills. That's par for the course. It's that two of three scum members have scummy results on them because of the incredibly large number of cops (4 a day, and we have yet to have one that came out "wrong" by random chance). Ultimately we got very unlucky with the random numbers there, but I would be suprised if the last one didn't get randomly copped out as well. Maybe the RNG will work for us that one time.
Image <-- Evil experiment

New User

Postby New User » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:56 pm UTC

Bayesian
Spoiler:
Targeting Madge again. The only person I saw visiting her N2 was Suzaku, and he claimed to be a proxy reverse cop. So her claim of being roleblocked might be faked... could she be scum? Then again, I should have also seen myself visit her N2 but didn't. So it might just be this random number thing.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:07 pm UTC

Bayesian
Spoiler:
mpolo wrote:
Adam H wrote:Bayesian:

I think it's balanced fine, scum is just getting unlucky with the night actions

Still Bayesian:

It's not so much the blocked kills. That's par for the course. It's that two of three scum members have scummy results on them because of the incredibly large number of cops (4 a day, and we have yet to have one that came out "wrong" by random chance). Ultimately we got very unlucky with the random numbers there, but I would be suprised if the last one didn't get randomly copped out as well. Maybe the RNG will work for us that one time.

Yeah, a few things:
1) not only are the cop results untrustworthy, three of them are third party cops so that's an additional layer of untrustworthiness because town doesn't know where they are coming from.
2) You knew from the beginning that there were (probably) multiple third party cop results, and all three of you could have flooded town with fake claims from the beginning.
3) The town cops are picking their targets correctly.
4) Also, you tried to kill and block the Tracker and Watcher last night and those are turning out to be probably the weakest two roles in the game. So many false positives... :)

I expected this many results by Day 3 and I like it. This was supposed to be sort of like a dethy. I did not expect the doctors to be successful. If you had two successful kills, it would have been 4 vs 3 yesterday and Madge wouldn't have gotten the 99% scum result on kalira.
-Adam

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:26 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
uhh...I think I fucked up. I thought the day ended at 6:00 EST, not 5. um...I hope that message I sent doesn't cause a problem, misnomer and vytron.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Oh, thanks, I thought I had read all PMs, but apparently skipped some. Whoa, the only kill, by a vig XD - wonder if when wam is going to be lynched, he'll claim to have vigkilled the first night, that never works when false claiming, will it work when it's the truth?

Still hilarious that the SK's kill would fail while the Mafia kill was not sent! But eculc did send his cop action, I reckon if he didn't have to send 2 actions he'd have only sent the kill, so, by flashing eculc, ConMan was saving the life of Madge, unknowingly (a townie saving the like of an SK!) :mrgreen:

Note - lol, wrote this message several hours ago, just noticed I just hit preview but never sent it!

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:27 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Oh hey, I've been culted! I have to say, probably not a great choice there. Although, if our goal is to switch to democracy and have someone survive to the end of the game, then at least we're likely to hit the first target soon enough just by getting enough pro-anarchists to die. Pity that the flash cop apparently worked *after* the culting, otherwise I'd have a pretty nice alibi going on.
pollywog wrote:

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:34 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Haha, no it didn't, you just were copped by mafia XD

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:23 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
We didn't get our kill submitted in time, and eculc is being honest about his result. My lie-detect tonight was useless - I didn't ask enough questions earlier.
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:17 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Don't know how the Pokédex was supposed to work, apparently, I just needed to quote firesoul's action and say ATV (how boring), or posting some "firesoul used the pokedex on Conman and got ATV" flavor would have worked. Opted for mentioning associated tropes with the character, and an actual picture. Hopefully people won't get confused because I didn't mention it was used on Conman.

Eculc is playing his cop result very well, what with getting people to want to lynch a towny. (But Conman was converted to cult, so it's even more important to get rid of the competition.)

Also, yeah, I know ATV is not actually a Dragonslayer, because TPP takes place in an alternate continuity where Lance died, so ATV couldn't slay Dragonite. Heh, let's say ATV was born with that nickname because of some legend that happened to be fulfilled on the TPP alternate continuity :mrgreen:

mpolo wrote:@MODS: Just for the sake of argument, is a Pokedex command on a dead character even theoretically possible? I don't see a rule one way or the other.

Sorry, no idea (replying here seems as useful as replying in the actual thread, as I'm not providing any info other than Vytron doesn't know either D: )

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:38 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Gee, I hope this is right, thought the clarification was required as the confusion could be my fault.

Maybe I should have stayed quiet for more chaos, but this would have been evident if more Pokédex actions were sent.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:58 pm UTC

TPP@Vytron:
Spoiler:
Pokedex was done absolutely fine, don't worry. The image was as nice touch!
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

TPP@Misnomer
Spoiler:
Phew, thanks! It turns out it was just mpolo confusing Conman with just_me, that was relieving!

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:03 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
I keep forgetting what's happened.
Makes it very difficult to contribute anything.

kalira

Postby kalira » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:51 pm UTC

TPP:

Spoiler:
Well, shit. That Pokedex thing looks like it's gonna be a problem for me if I ever get dexed. If things like "The False Prophet" show up in my pokedex, there's like no way for me to try to convince them I'm town. I'm glad ConMan got dexed as they're still not sure cult exists. Buys us a little time.

I'm actually kind of hoping eculc is scum/indy now. If we can get him lynched and he flips scum, I think it will make ConMan look a lot better to townies. If he flips town, though...

Just gotta hope ConMan doesn't get killed today/tonight though, or cult will be revealed. He does seem like a likely target for NK, though, so hoping either they won't NK him 'cause they think someone will protect him, or someone actually will protect him. Have to make sure I convert successfully tonight, though, just in case.

Politically we seem to be heading toward democracy, which is great for me. My win condition is for the game to end in Democracy, with at least one Devotee of Dome still alive. Recruiting powers pass to the most senior disciple if I am killed.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:06 pm UTC

TPP

Spoiler:
oh, wonderful. I'm getting bandwagon-ed for reporting my result. way to go, town. jeez.

I think later today will be my wonderful reveal.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:13 pm UTC

eculc wrote:TPP

Spoiler:
oh, wonderful. I'm getting bandwagon-ed for reporting my result. way to go, town. jeez.

I think later today will be my wonderful reveal.
TPP
Spoiler:
Ah, I should probably get round to writing the flavour for that then... :P

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:56 pm UTC

TPP

Spoiler:
oh boy, I sure do hope I'm right about the False Prophet thing. If I am, then I could get major brownie points for the speculah, but if I'm not, then I'll get pinned as scum and lynched, leaving the town without a roleblocker and another townie. :/

I'm thinking about roleblocking kalira tonight, or maybe eculc if he's not lynched by the end of the day.
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

Just a note

House moving is going on so internet acess may be spotty.

Also I am going to be completely offline for all 4 of the easter weekend days. (with a small possibilty of access on easter monday), I hope this doesn;t cause any issues in games I am playing in.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:38 pm UTC

Bayesian:
Spoiler:
OK, I'm never putting a doctor in a game again. :P
-Adam

wam

Postby wam » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:47 pm UTC

Bayesian

Spoiler:
ARRRRRGGGG can we not kill anyone....

So we got 8 left 2 scum.

so they lynch kalira today which will leave me at 1/6....

So if I get a kill in, thats 1-5 so I need to get a double mislynch and have both kills actually go through.

if we had got all three kills in we would be a 2-3..... damn it.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:11 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
yeah, I'll claim. take your damn votes off me people, I'll roleclaim and get as close to confirmed town as I fucking can.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:49 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Damn, eculc. That's one heck of a bomb to drop. And now I get to backtrack like crazy to cover my behind.

Meanwhile, Diemo. "so that's 7/1/4, right?" You mean ... you know there are 4 people on the mafia team? Holy scumtell, batman!
pollywog wrote:

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:09 am UTC

TPP

Spoiler:
Someone called me towniest. I love that. I really hope nobody tries to rolecop me or namecop me. I'm going to have a hell of a time justifying my rolename. I've got mixed feelings about the success of my push for democracy; on one hand it means that Town CAN namecop me if they think I'm looking dodgy. On the other hand, it means they probably won't try to namecop me and will instead use other, juicier powers.

Thought for a claim: I have been given Red as a falseclaim but I can't think of a sensible power to go with it (the PC one is scummy as hell). I could claim to be Bill, a lyncher for Red; I want to release Red from the PC to punish him for releasing so many of his pokemon, which is a peversion of what I intended my PC system to do. I'm wary, though, that coming out as a lyncher will kill my chances but I feel an indy claim may be the best for me. Probably not a good claim, all in all, but I'll let it marinate for a little while. But at least it means that the person who IS Red won't freak out and try and get me killed, because there is no Red.

Bayesian Mafia

Spoiler:
Everything seems to be going well. I'm more suspicous of BigNose than I used to be though, but given his reverse rolecop power he's probably going to get more results out there. I tracked Cemper and it seems he self-targeted, whatever THAT proves.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Return to “Mafia”