The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:33 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
That was awesome flavor from Misnomer, I'm glad eculc used his power! :)

Prediction: Xenomortis never sends a Red action, anarchistic actions get completely clogged.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:33 am UTC

Looking for a replacement for TPP - PM myself and Vytron if interested.

TPP
Spoiler:
Speaking of replacements, just_me has rather hilariously just inherited a role that required his previous role to die before the power could be used. :P
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

kalira

Postby kalira » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:38 pm UTC

TPP:

Spoiler:
Damn that B'Jesus thing was over the top... I think eculc is actually scum based on that, rather than town like it was expected to do. I have to play it close to the chest though, so I don't get NK'd or something. And the fact that Conman converted before the flash worked on him? Well, if eculc is scum, that may have just saved my win some. eculc flashes and gets enemy, reports such to the group, and Conman gets lynched... flips cult, and scum!eculc sails through the rest of the game.

Also, dammit Will, why'd you have to propose exactly my role?? I think I'm gonna have to try to convert him tonight. If I get found out as Flareon, I think fewer people would suspect Will of being cult because he was the first to kind of propose that full out.

Madge is also pinging me, but I'm likely to let her off today, maybe try to catch a little more suspicious stuff coming off her before I say anything to the group. I find it *very* odd nobody is calling her out for some of the things she said re: the whole eculc/conman thing.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:58 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
why isn't anyone mentioning me? it's like i don't exist. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing...
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

TPP:
Spoiler:
If Deimo gets lynched and flips town, I'm going to look SOOOOO bad. D: I really hope I'm right about this.

I've changed my mind about the roleblocking, though. Probably gonna target kalira or firesoul, they haven't posted much at all.
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:57 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
I suspect that's probably curtains for Madge, unless she can quickly come up with a way of making Bill sound townie (can release a player from the PC each night perhaps?)
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:35 pm UTC

TPP

Spoiler:
fuck you RNG or whatever else determined if I got pokedexed, THAT WAS THE WHOLE REASON I WAS CALLING FOR DEMOCRACY, so shitty little things like this couldn't happen to me. I really, really didn't want to claim but I think this one is pretty solid. (At least more solid than Lyncher). Probably because it's almost entirely true, except for the fact that I want to be the only one alive once this is all over.

For those playing along at home, this is KIND OF like my power, but instead of 1 action per night I get 1 action N1, 2 actions N2, and so on, so I can theoretically still do my evil SK stuff unmolested - but in practice I'm probably going to look pretty damn suspicious.

Oh, also, my deposit action doesn't protect anyone from the kill. HA.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:07 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
In the end, scum Conman and scum eculc have helped each other into looking Town/Independent, and it even looks like whenever one flips scum, everyone will assume the other is certain town, for some reason XD

And, I don't know what people are talking about with Democracy. There's a lot of failed actions, yes, but it looks like it will consistently get more actions done than Democracy.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:31 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
well, it looks like they fell for it. Sorry diemo, but you're gonna have to die tonight. Better you than me, I say. At least I'm confirmed town in the minds of most players.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:01 am UTC

So, there's a few games going on at the moment and I've got assessments coming up, but I had an idea for a game, and I'm not sure whether it's been done before or whether it would even work. I have a feeling it would rather heavily rely on the players not being dicks about it, and actually wanting to have a fun game instead of spoiling it. Having watched a few games play out here, I'm reasonably confident that the Mafia community here could handle it.

Basically, the idea is to have a game of whatever setup, but with the inclusion of a player/spectator role. These players would not have any alignment, nor any win condition - they would essentially be spectators, with the exception of the fact that they can post. To a spectator, I imagine that the game would essentially be a sandbox - they'd be able to sow discord and chaos and to muddy the waters, if they so chose, or they could choose to align themselves with one side or another. I've not decided whether or not they'd be allowed to open spoilers in this thread - I feel like that would just be poor form, though. If I were to mod it, it would be a largely vanilla setup, I imagine, as I'm not very knowledgeable about some of the more complex roles. Since spectators wouldn't have an alignment, it would probably be a game of 10-12 people (although I'd personally prefer about 15, so that we could have two or three spectators and a mafia/town split of 4/7 or 3/8 or maybe even 2/9 depending on power roles.) Does that sound like a good idea to anybody else, or is it actually just objectively terrible?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 pm UTC

If they can't read spoilers, they are essentially just survivors.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:40 pm UTC

They're not even survivors or jesters because they have no goals so they aren't even trying not to get lynched. I'm not sure who would be motivated to play or post as a spectator?

USN raises a good point though, you could have a mafia and promise them 3-4 people with the survivor or jester role during the sign up phase. I could see that turning out interesting.

~~~~~~~~

Also, while we're discussing setups, did anyone have any thoughts about the likely level of FUN associated with a setup I pondered about a few weeks ago:

Also, I got in my head the concept of a "polyamory" mafia. Everyone is given the name of their "partners". In, say, a 7/3 game, 7 people are linked together in a chain, and 3 people are linked together in another, smaller "mafia" chain. Object is to be the only chain left. So nobody knows if they're scum or town; they just the know the usernames of 1, 2 (or 3, if numbers allow) people who are guaranteed to have the same alignment as them. (possibly could incorporate mason chat somehow, but it would be limited to pairs). The big chain and the small chain each have a vig so nightkills can happen (or, possibly, each person submits a "vote" for nightkill, and the majority vote from the small chain gets NK'd). Not sure if this concept has been done before, if it's a good idea, or if it would be fun.

Diagram explaining the above:
Spoiler:
So you might have:

F
|
A-B-C-D
|
E

VS

X-Y-Z

A's PM reads: "you are aligned with B, E and F"
B's PM reads: "you are aligned with A and C"
D's PM reads: "you are aligned with C"
X's PM reads: "you are aligned with Y"
Y's PM reads: "you are aligned with X and Z"
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:If they can't read spoilers, they are essentially just survivors.
And if they can reveal spoilers, you are just encouraging people not to use the Gojoe thread.

Maybe something like USN's Hunger Games Mafia? Forums link

In terms of the chains, if there is a vote then you can use that to scumhunt, to find out who is on the smaller chain.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:42 pm UTC

Carlington: I think the idea would work if survivors knew the alignments of everyone else, so they can help town or scum, and scum can also pose as spectator, because nobody knows who are the spectators at game start. They also got to be careful, because they could still be lynched, getting out of the game (so, while they don't have a win condition, they'd basically lose if they're lynched.)

While this could unbalance the game in town's favor, if spectators want to help scum, town is screwed because besides having to lynch scum they have to lynch spectators just to they stop molesting.

The mod would try to hide who are the spectators, by having them prodded if they haven't posted in a while and such. But, probably to avoid destruction spectators should be lied to a bit, i.e. they are told some townie is mafia while some mafiosi is town, both false.

I like the concept of the role in general, a role that is just in the game to have fun, and they create their own fun. Games usually have a rule of "please don't ruin the game for other players", but a spectator wouldn't need to comply with this rule, as they are allowed to create their own win conditions and goals and apply them on the fly. The price is they can't win.

Heck, maybe you can allow a win condition for spectators as well, like, having a majority on the votes (at that point they can decide if town wins or mafia wins, so mafia/town would get second place after them) with the twist that, say, from a group of spectators 1, 2, and 3, 1 is told 2 isn't a spectator, 2 is told that 3 isn't spectator, and 3 is told 1 isn't spectator, so they can't coordinate well.

I also think either spectators should be allowed to have Daychat and Nightchat at all times, to increase their fun, or not at all, to differentiate them more from scum.

@Madge: Sorry, no idea, but from what I have seen, how fun something will be can't be gathered from looking at it in paper, some super-fun sounding ideas have turned out lame in practice, while others that seemed to have no future rocked out incredible. So my advice is try every idea that you have, you'll never know if you've hit upon an extraordinarily fun idea until you try it.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

Spectator role doesn't sound interesting to me. I did something in reverse once though: a player who could not post in the thread and nobody thought was in the game, but who could in fact influence the game. Or dead players who can still influence the game.

@Madge: What's preventing player A in your diagram from claiming and forcing a mass-claim?

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:37 pm UTC

Yeah, spectator seems like an opt-in role (say, on the sign up thread you tell people that if they want the spectator role they have to send a PM to the Mod about it, only those players are eligible. If no players send that PM, then, you get a normal game, but all players wonder if there's any spectator looming around :mrgreen: )

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:43 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:@Madge: What's preventing player A in your diagram from claiming and forcing a mass-claim?
Yes, this. I don't think there's a good deterrent from massclaiming. If you just set a posting restriction then the players will completely ignore the mechanic and just act like survivors.

The mafia needs to have a mechanic that is game-breaking if they can figure out the connections.

I suggest a role of Mafia Spy, who is told the rest of the scum team but is not told who his connections are with. e.g.

A-X-B-C
D-E

A is told he is aligned with X (false)
B is told he is aligned with X (false) and C
C is told he is aligned with B
D is told he is aligned with E
E is told he is aligned with D
X is told that D and E are scum.

Now if X finds out his connections, he can claim to be connected with a member of the scum team as well as his real connections. That results in the scum team realizing that they are scum and X is their scummate. Therefore claiming is a bad idea, because it results in the scum team uniting. Also, perhaps X can kill his connections if he figures out who they are.
-Adam

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:11 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Least interactive scum chat I have ever been a part of. Damn.

I guess I'm taking the lead on this one. It would've been nice for diemo to say *something* N1, and also nice for us to have actually used the kill, since no-one submitted it in time. At least now I know that I'll probably have to submit all the actions.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Yeah, sorry that I was so quiet last night. I had society awards on, which turned into no internet for 2-3 days, which left me saying nothing at tnight.

All in all, I played this game pretty badly. Sorry guys.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:15 pm UTC

TPP

Spoiler:
OK, I have worked it out.

Firstly: I am pretty sure I am going to lose. I am pretty sure I am going to be killed very soon, because I've claimed a doctor power, and scum likes to kill people like me.

But I had a discussion with my Cynical Mafia Boyfriend(tm) and he helped me get my thoughts about the game together (and was very, very impressed about the democracy/anarchy mechanic, so another kudos to our fine mods).

Anyway, my short term goal is to get EVERYONE onto the PC except me. By my estimation, everyone will be on the PC N4 or N5, and then I will do a mass release before they start thinking the PC is a dangerous place to be.

I am hoping scum can also interfere with the PC (Diemo was campaigning for towny people to be put in the PC with his dying breath). If anyone gets suspicious, I will play dumb and say I only get one PC action a day and I don't know what's with the others. If that doesn't work, I will claim my true power and also my fake win condition:

I am a collector and I want to have a big collection. My goal is to have everyone in the PC, and I win when that happens. Thus, I am independent.

With CMB's help, I've worked out that my biggest threat (apart from being NK'd, which I think is imminent tbh) is being copped. Unfortunately I don't see any way around this whatsoever. My one hope is that I come up as "other" to cop actions; my other hope is that if I am "enemy" to all, the person who cops me is scum, sees me flip "enemy", and so reports me as "ally" thinking I'm town.

The other issue is someone dying on the night I put them in the PC, and the flavour revealing that. I can try and squirm around the flavour depending on how damning it is; perhaps it's just implying that I wish I put the victim in the PC rather than that the victim was killed whilst in the PC. In my claim post I tried to make it ambiguous, that I protect from "a" kill, but now I've gone and used the word "doctor" to refer to myself so who the heck knows.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:37 pm UTC

Twitch Plays Pokemafia
Spoiler:
Death PC Finished.png
Left to right: Red (L), Bill (Light), and Flareon (Ryuk).

Alternate Text1: Red – Do you know Flareons love Macintoshes?
Alternate Text2: Is Red's color blue now?

Does not regret grafting a Higurashi expression onto Bill.

Considered Pigeot as either Light or Ryuk.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:53 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Kalira shows off their impressive deductive abilities in PMs by basically having found out that eculc and Madge are scum. Hints at the possibility that Madge is SK, which is true. I know I should be neutral but I hope cult wins the game, they don't get many chances to do so in games around here...

Will avoid commenting on Deva's art so I don't look like a creepy fanboy.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
I'll be a little surprised not to be dead today, but if I am not, I should have a cop result on wam and xeno (one from flash, one from my normal cop ability). Didn't really help that I copped just_me N1, but at least I knew that there was no bastardry from that PoV as my result was "ally".

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:01 pm UTC

TPP:
Spoiler:
I blocked kalira last night, just because she was acting kind of weird. On the other hand, I might've died. I think I know too much, especially with Deimo dying and coming up scum. The other scumteam might go after me D:

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:29 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Still waiting on firesoul31 to send an action in, however slim the possibility, so have to wait til the deadline. Interesting night however - in short, madge is dead (though I may immediately draft her as another zombie replacement) and - in what has to be the mental image of the game so far - the False Prophet, riding atop ATV, has overcome Air's attempts to block him, instead managing to convert him to the cause of Dome. :D

Also, can't remember if I've said this already but deva your art is awesome :)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:05 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Misnomer wrote:(though I may immediately draft her as another zombie replacement)

Yes! Make her replace mpolo before she reads spoilers from this thread or it'll be too late!

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:35 pm UTC

TPP

Spoiler:
I almost started reading the spoilers, but I only read Vytron's most recent one quoting Misnomer about me being a zombie replacement - if so, sign me up :), I will abstain.

I knew I was gonna die either from being Bill or being Doctor. I was hoping not releasing anyone until the very end would keep some suspicion from me and my fake win condition would seem reasonable.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:40 pm UTC

TPP (Madge may read)
Spoiler:
Re: zombie replacement - that was my plan right until the last minute, but I realised you had certain knowledge (in the form of your falseclaim) that would not otherwise be known to a replacement player.

It's a pity though, because I would have liked you to continue to play if possible.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:45 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:TPP (Madge may read)
Spoiler:
Re: zombie replacement - that was my plan right until the last minute, but I realised you had certain knowledge (in the form of your falseclaim) that would not otherwise be known to a replacement player.

It's a pity though, because I would have liked you to continue to play if possible.

TPP

Spoiler:
So would I!! I'm happy for my falseclaim to be publically revealed or otherwise worked around if you can swing it. I will resist the siren song of the spoilers for a little while longer.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:49 pm UTC

Madge wrote:
Spoiler:

TPP

Spoiler:
So would I!! I'm happy for my falseclaim to be publically revealed or otherwise worked around if you can swing it. I will resist the siren song of the spoilers for a little while longer.
TPP (Madge may read)
Spoiler:
The question I need to consider is whether revealing your falseclaim undermines any other player's chances - I'd need to think carefully about this one. If you're willing to hold off from spoiler reading then I shall certainly consider the option though.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:54 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The question I need to consider is whether revealing your falseclaim undermines any other player's chances - I'd need to think carefully about this one. If you're willing to hold off from spoiler reading then I shall certainly consider the option though.

TPP

Spoiler:
No problem. Like I said, I've really enjoyed this game, so I'm happy to hold off for the off-chance that both a replacement is needed and I'm able to do it :)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:56 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
What if Madge had used her falseclaim about being Red when she was alive? That would have caused the [Redacted] part to have been obvious on death. So now Madge can't replace in because she didn't use her false claim?

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:16 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
See? Democracy is proving a lot less fruitful than Anarchy, why isn't anybody pointing that out? XD

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:52 pm UTC

TPP:

Spoiler:
I'm kind of afraid if I roleclaim that I'll get killed. I mean, it's not a super powerful role, but it can definitely throw some wrenches in plans. sigh.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:34 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
if i'm right about cult but wam was recruited into it, then we are so screwed...

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:10 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Bleh, this lack of activity angers me. :evil:

An extension it is...

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:44 am UTC

TPP:
Spoiler:
OK, time to weave a little tale. I was going to just outright claim my ability, and truthfully say that I targeted eculc N1 to ensure his cop went through, but then I realised it raises the question "So why didn't you help dimochka N2, then maybe we could have confirmed eculc's alignment?". But WTC gives me the perfect out, if he plays along, and hopefully he realises that as a fellow cult member that's what I'm trying to get him to do. I'm going to say I did target dimochka, but since WTC roleblocked me it didn't work, and so dimochka's cop was blocked by eculc's ability. Then I say I will help the cop get through this time, but since WTC is in the cult anyway we don't even have to worry about that.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:27 am UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Misnomer wrote:Bleh, this lack of activity angers me. :evil:

An extension it is...

It saddens me! :( Thanks for applying an extension, the extra 24 hours are appreciated.

I'm still removing my game from mod queue until activity picks up again.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:30 pm UTC

TPP
Spoiler:
Lots of cult paranoia going around.
I hate sudden changes in win conditions mid-game with no prior warning/knowledge.
I've been tempted to raegquaat the past couple of times (although I never have).

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:33 pm UTC

TPP

Spoiler:
Ugh. It is going to be harder to win this as cult than I thought. Everyone's role PM has been copied and pasted in the thread as is (sans safeclaim). I think this means when one of cult is finally killed, the whole "You win if Democracy is in effect" bit will be revealed as well. Considering it takes far fewer people to enact Anarchy, I think this means we're screwed.

Dammit mods, you made it really difficult for cult to win just by that alone. :/ The transferring conversion powers are a boon, but I'm not sure we can win at this point. 3 cult, and I think 5 town and 2 scum at this point. The second that thing about democracy is revealed, anyone who stays on democracy is going to be marked for death. I can only hope that I can manage to convert dim tonight -- having a vigkill on our side would make it easier to kill off townies so they can't kill us. I just don't know if he's convertible or not. Damn.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

Return to “Mafia”