The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Minestrone

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Minestrone » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:17 pm UTC

Hangafia:
Spoiler:
Weirdly, reading spoilers didn't clarify much about this game, because, as Dr Ug said, everyone seems to be mostly open and honest about things that have been happening to them. Apparently Madge has my old role so I'm going to root for her.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:50 am UTC

Hangafia
Spoiler:
Hehe, this is two rooms and a boom the other way around:

In that game people had information that Madge wanted, and they didn't want her to know.

In this game Madge has information I want and she doesn't want me to know.

So tomorrow I'll attempt to get her lynched for this, hopefully it works because there's not much reason to lynch anyone.

Van

Postby Van » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:34 pm UTC

Hangafia:
Spoiler:
I wish I was mafia so I could NK Vytron. So many lies!
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:40 pm UTC

Hangafia:
Spoiler:
Yeah, so it really sucks if Madge uses her kill on me and that's the end of it.

Now revealing to Van that Madge isn't town and hoping for the best.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:08 am UTC

hangofia:
Spoiler:
So...I'm mafia, time to stir the pot. killing Vytron tonight. Then blackmail Madge into becoming buddies with me.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:40 am UTC

Hangafia:

Spoiler:
Told VZ my role yesterday, trusting he's town. Pretty sure I know who in the PM chain is definitely town, just not sure of which of the 10 possibilities are the 7 scum/SKs. Hopefully can narrow it down further tomorrow.
</rant>

frogman

Postby frogman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:01 pm UTC

Vanillafia:

Spoiler:
Vanilla town! Woop woop
yeah yeah yeah

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:13 pm UTC

Vanillafia:
Spoiler:
So one of my players nearly didn't have a role. Talk about vanilla.

I was finished sending the role PMs, 15 messages in my outbox. But wait, there's 16 players!

Check sent, none there. Who did I miss?!?

Sorted now. And mod notes didn't even need adjusting.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:00 pm UTC

Hangafia:

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure that my cop result means that SPACKlick is scum.

If he is an international cop (that would mean he didn't swap roles? Or there are more cops than the mason cops and me?) it doesn't really fit with the flavour, so since he is probably an international crime lord, sounds like he should be scum.
And you thought I was crazy...

frogman

Postby frogman » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:13 pm UTC

Hangafia:

Spoiler:
I need to find the tiger. The tiger's already dead, and I can't target dead players. I'm sure there's a reasonable way out of this, but it has me stumped currently.
yeah yeah yeah

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:24 pm UTC

Hangafia:
Spoiler:
Is a game, that exists, and I totally remember all of the things that are happening and why I was suspicious of Madge and Freezeblade, and why I was confident Wei and Van were town. Definitely

lynx

Postby lynx » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:22 pm UTC

I'm thinking of running a small chocolate semi-bastard game in which true-claiming will result in an immediate modkill. Any interest?

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

Hangafia
Spoiler:
So, Az would have been outed a day earlier if my role had not changed. He was my N1 target for the cop.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:27 pm UTC

Hey, I forgot this existed.

Vanillafia
Spoiler:
It's me, Djehutynakht, your resident Serial Killer!

Well... Bessie was right. Womp womp. I didn't have the same role-pm as the rest of you. Bessie caught me, though it doesn't seem to matter now. Sorry Bessie.

I was on the edge about posting that comment, as I had a feeling it would get me into trouble. But I survived.

Deciding what to do now. I may go for an SDK-style and withhold my SK kill to avoid knowledge that an SK exists. But if there's investigators out there (which I suspect now) it might be harder to pull that off

This whole "vanilla game" mumbo-jumbo is making it very hard to deduce power roles. Not sure if I should fake-claim and get the ball rolling there.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:59 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Then again, I don't recall having played with Roadie (I've been absent for a few months) and his adherence to xkcd style is unknown to me.

I've been away for longer than that, your first mafia game was more recent than my last post before Hangafia.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:26 pm UTC

lynx wrote:I'm thinking of running a small chocolate semi-bastard game in which true-claiming will result in an immediate modkill. Any interest?

No, there are better ways to handle true-claiming than immediate modkill. It was what ruined the first Ghost game for me, specifically because at that point Scum's win was inevitable, so instead of modkilling me the game should have been awarded to the ghosts.

Hangafia
Spoiler:
I'm glad I'm out of the game just because of those overly long nights... though, I won't be reading spoilers and am up for being a last-choice, emergency-zombie-replacement, because I'd rather replace someone than seeing them modkilled. But the information that I have might make it impossible, anyway.

Yesternight I outed Madge as scum to Van, let's see how that goes...

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:29 pm UTC

vanillafia
Spoiler:
I don't know what vytron is talking about in his confirmation post either, but dj seemed to react poorly to the accusations so i suspect he's unlikely to be vt and probably not a PR. vytron is either vt or scum who knows town role pm. lynx is probably town, although something jumped out at me earlier and he might just be playing a good game. nolemonsplease is vt. spack is town, bessie is town.

we'll see how wrong i am!
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:14 am UTC

Vytron - getting you modkilled to test my word was entirely the point of my strategy, so you know, it's not a bug so much as a feature.

Hangafia

Spoiler:
Vytron, for the record - you WERE my target. And I always suspected you knew that *shakes fist*. Oh, I was the SK BTW.

For the other record - I didn't kill you. I killed our cult leader, and got culted myself (I am not sure if it's because I killed the leader or if it's because the leader had planned to cult me on the day I planned to kill them - either way, here I am.)

Current plan is to tell Freezeblade I killed Vytron and now have achieved my primary win, and get a secondary win if me and/or FB survive to the end and I still have one kill shot to use.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Van

Postby Van » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:47 am UTC

Hangafia:

Spoiler:
I'd say something like "This just got complicated" but it was already really absurd and now it is only moreso. It's interesting, though, how town is just murdering scum left and right, despite this being a pretty complex game. My gut feeling is town is going to win this by a longshot, especially since there are still 2-ish cops around.

So Madge kills Vytron, scum kills Az, and ... aren't we missing a kill? hm.

Vytron, don't take my spoiler-kvetching about you personally! I feel like you are devious in a way I am super envious of, but it is pesky being on the receiving end of it.
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:40 am UTC

Hangfia

Spoiler:
So now Van and Madge are on a team. Tomorrow night they will discover that they are now effectively a two person scum team, as Madge has a kill. If I'd survived the night, then we would have grabbed another person, and had something like 1/4 of the remaining players. More over, I was trying to grab active players that seemed to have good heads on their shoulders, which would have given us a disproportionate amount of control over public opinion. Sadly it was not to be.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:46 am UTC

RoadieRich wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:Then again, I don't recall having played with Roadie (I've been absent for a few months) and his adherence to xkcd style is unknown to me.

I've been away for longer than that, your first mafia game was more recent than my last post before Hangafia.

Ah. That makes total sense then. I can never tell who's new and who's simply been resurrected from the dark reaches of the interwebs.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:31 am UTC

Hangafia
Spoiler:
Well, poot. At least one of my mason group is scum. I think VH is still ok, and in fact I suspect he was the third of the new wolfpack. So, while I try to work out who I can trust (and cross my fingers that I somehow get pulled into a safer mason group), I'll go and try to compile some data to give me something *else* to accuse people with.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:25 am UTC

Vytron - getting you modkilled to test my word was entirely the point of my strategy, so you know, it's not a bug so much as a feature.

But future games changed the rule so that you wouldn't get modkilled anymore. And, anyway "modkilled" didn't seem to be the wanted effect, it was more like "if you say the word, you die", with the difference that you can still win with town, while you can't on a true modkill.

Hangafia
Spoiler:
Van wrote:This is all very weird. Overnight, Vytron and I continued to talk, and he seemed to have way more information than I think he should have. Honestly, I didn't really trust it, but he did say (paraphrased) that he knew some people had not changed roles, and Aaz was one of them. But then, Aaz dies and is revealed to be a cult leader with the role he claimed on D1. As EH said, I guess it makes sense for the cult leader to not swap roles, and this seems to confirm Vytron's accuracy, but... At the time, I was pretty much thinking he was a lyncher, but now he is dead and without any sort of lyncher-ness to him. I need to think about this.

WHAAAAAT????

I didn't mention Aaz at all! I said Aak, the guy that was modkilled for inactivity...

It seems Van confused Az (it doesn't even have 2 As) with Aak and all may conversations with her were useless :(

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:37 am UTC

Last time I played a "trueclaim" = modkill game the first poster posted

"I am scum aligned, I am Mafia Goon, I am Mafia Godfather, I am Mafia Bodyguard, I am a Serial Killer. If you don't say all of this in your first post, we lynch you" and the game pretty much ended there, even though it took a couple of hours to get through all the voting.

lynx

Postby lynx » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:25 am UTC

Hmm, fair enough. Some more thought is required. I actually remember now trying to get this to work some time last year. Cheers for the feedback!

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:18 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:"I am scum aligned, I am Mafia Goon, I am Mafia Godfather, I am Mafia Bodyguard, I am a Serial Killer. If you don't say all of this in your first post, we lynch you" and the game pretty much ended there, even though it took a couple of hours to get through all the voting.

Wow, what a genius!

lynx

Postby lynx » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:13 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:"I am scum aligned, I am Mafia Goon, I am Mafia Godfather, I am Mafia Bodyguard, I am a Serial Killer. If you don't say all of this in your first post, we lynch you" and the game pretty much ended there, even though it took a couple of hours to get through all the voting.
Man, that guy would be so modkilled in my game.

lynx

Postby lynx » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:21 pm UTC

Vanillafia
Spoiler:
Man, there'd fucking better be a doctor in this game. I'm considering doing something intentionally scummy to draw away the NK because if the day ended now, I'd be toast. Stupid vanilla games. Oh yeah, I'm SK. Will be claiming VT or Town Vig, depending on flips. I will almost certainly withhold the kill until we catch some scums.

I think at least one of DJ and Vytron is probably scum. But I think that every time. Also possibly frogman / ajh.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:48 pm UTC

lynx wrote:

But, the guy's town and didn't claim town...

lynx

Postby lynx » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:52 pm UTC

Not my issue. Did I not say semi-bastard? And that guy deserved it anyway. :P

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:55 pm UTC

That'd definitively cross the line between semi-bastard and bastard :lol:

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:23 pm UTC

lynx wrote:

The board we were on, if you modkilled them and they flipped vanilla town, the rest of the players would have (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ rioted and you wouldn't be allowed to mod ever again. You can't hate the players for breaking a breakable set up.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:30 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:You can't hate the players for breaking a breakable set up.

This just gave me the idea for a setup with very subtle loopholes in the rules. You'd tell everyone it was a closed, non-bastard, standard game, but carefully fashion the rules to allow all sorts of specific abuses.

Of course, the issue with that is that most mafia rulesets here are copy/pasted from previous games, so they're all the same, and it wouldn't be difficult to spot discrepancies.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:47 pm UTC

Nice, I hadn't seen that emoticon before. I would probably add even more emphasis to writing in all caps.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:01 am UTC

Vanillafia:

Spoiler:
This was going well for me when suspicion whirled around me (scum would leave me alone at night--although I worry about a cop) but now frankly it's too much. I need to find out how to tone down the witch hunt.

Frankly what's going on in the game is ticking me off a bit (regardless of my role). This always happens to me on D1. If I talk, someone construes what I say as scummy and goes after me. If I don't talk, I'm accused of lurking, which is construed as scummy.

My Mafia meta is apparently being generally suspicious.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:04 am UTC

Welcome to my world.

The alternative is being Townie McTown and getting killed N1. I... would say more but then it'd probably spoil that game :P

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:21 am UTC

Hey. I almost forgot. It's that time of year again!

So, as has become custom, I plan on starting my yearly Halloween-flavored Mafia game in the next few weeks (trying to start early as previous incarnations have gotten us near Christmas).

As usual, mulling around the specific flavor, and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions they wanted to throw out.

My thoughts at the moment have been:

-Dracula / Vampire themed - I've been mulling over doing a Dracula mafia for some time now. It might be interesting. If canonically Dracula (and not just vampire-y), I might bring in some characters Bram Stoker wrote out of the novel, or just other random characters to make a full list.

-Another costume party with different rules (so basically last year's flavor)

-Murder Mystery (Trapped on an Island, Trapped on a train a la "Orient Express")

-Reverse flavor mafia (the "Mafia" are the "Good guys" and the Town are Monsters and such)

Suggestions welcome. Signups probably in a week or so.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:33 am UTC

Hangafia:
Spoiler:
I really hope that analysis holds up, because otherwise I may have to out my role a little earlier than anticipated.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:42 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:-Murder Mystery (Trapped on an Island, Trapped on a train a la "Orient Express")

I like this idea. Also, you already got two Ms, so you could overload it with more or something (e.g. Mythical Monsters Murder Mystery Mafia...)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:26 am UTC

Hangafia
Spoiler:
Oh, yay! VectorZero to the rescue! Here's hope Madge gets lynched before she kills her target :twisted:

Return to “Mafia”