The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

moody7277

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby moody7277 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:07 pm UTC

Cave

Spoiler:
Before I read the rest of the spoilers, I'm going to guess that that was not a vig, but something similar to what happened N1 wrt redirection, or in other words...

YOU'RE ALL BLIND AS BATS!! :lol: :lol:
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:26 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Cave

Spoiler:
Before I read the rest of the spoilers, I'm going to guess that that was not a vig, but something similar to what happened N1 wrt redirection, or in other words...

YOU'RE ALL BLIND AS BATS!! :lol: :lol:

Cave
Spoiler:
1) bats are not blind at all, most have pretty decent vision
2) not a vig, but an SK
3) yeah they are blind troglodytes, I foretell a mafia win on this one, if you had survived i'm sure you could have easily thrown someone else under the bus for that hammer vote
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:32 am UTC

Once Upon a Mafia
Spoiler:
Fucking hell. Well, that sucks, on so many levels. I think SirGabriel did a good job in catching it quickly and ending the day. I know I would have caught Ben’s Season 1 claim Monday morning, and it could have been ugly if everyone attacked him in thread.

From my player point of view, this is really disappointing because I wasn’t done yet. I was failing at building a strong case against dimochka, because I kept getting sidetracked by Ben’s inconsistencies. So just to cover all bases I had another post I was working on for about an hour Sunday night, with my analysis of Lawrencelot and Dr Ug. There were some small things that are bothering me about Lawrencelot, so I was working on a theory that Lawrencelot is Regina and Dr Ug is Other Scum (not on the same team as Regina). It wasn’t really getting anywhere which is why I didn’t post it Sunday night. I wanted to sleep on it and I knew I would have time Monday morning because I knew the people I’m playing with wouldn’t hammer. Maybe I wouldn't have posted it at all. I think I might be alive tomorrow. If dimochka is scum, he should target Lawrencelot, and either kill him or use up his one shot NK immunity. If Lawrencelot and Dr Ug are non-aligned scum, the one with the kill should target the other. I'm a poor NK target because I'm an easy lynch tomorrow.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:18 am UTC

Cave

Spoiler:
what's everyone talking about????? I'm confused.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:22 pm UTC

Cave (for sungura):
Spoiler:
I speculated about a WNS mechanic earlier on. Is (was) that a thing in the game?
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:03 pm UTC

Cave
Spoiler:
no, but I could've called it that
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:09 pm UTC

Cave
Spoiler:
madge is jumping around creating wine, and the mafia are running with it and will come out looking golden Inthe end. Smooth.

frogman

Postby frogman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:36 pm UTC

Cave

Spoiler:
Aww man, I am super sad about dying in this game. I was having a lot of fun with it. My win-condition was interesting and I feel like my playstyle is good for independents - I tend to strike people as scummy but not too scummy.

Amy, I hope that all of the stuff earlier in the game that was annoying you won't discourage you from modding more, because I think you run a really good game. This was certainly one of the best games of Mafia I've played.
yeah yeah yeah

frogman

Postby frogman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:52 pm UTC

I've been working on a game for the past month or so that I'd like to run if there is interest in it. The flavor is done in the same theme as the podcast Welcome to Night Vale, but without any actual references to the series, so that everyone will be flavorblind (which probably fits the style of Night Vale better than having anyone know what's going on). For those of you who don't know, Night Vale is a town where paranormal things are commonplace, and is described to listeners by a radio host with a distinctive style. The game is looking like it will be crazy, but not bastard - I wrote down a list of rules for myself of things to avoid which I can share with people via PM if they are curious.

I think I'd need at least 13 people to run the game, but I could probably balance for more or less. Let me know if you'd play!
yeah yeah yeah

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:56 pm UTC

I'm down!

I swear I won't pay attention to the "definitly not angels"
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:15 am UTC

cave
Spoiler:
well frog, I wanted you to win. I wish I had it as bastard so I could've just said nope no kill. Haha. You were soooooo close.

The annoying stuff is the modkilling. I hate doing it but I also won't be unfair to players to leave in inactives.

I might run a crazy game sometime. Pull out the old OOTD roles and say "you got one from here", or even make it a semi-PYP, select two roles you'd like and submit sort of thing.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:44 am UTC

Draculafia
Spoiler:
So, this should be fun. Here was I hoping for a nice simple role for my first game. And then I go and get this role: Count Orlock. I am an Usurper. I want to become the aristocratic undead leader in the area. I have a Dracula flavour cop - I can investigate one player each night to see if they are Dracula. My aim is to get him killed. Once that happens, I become the leader of the Undead. I'm guessing that means I essentially become scum at that point.

My plan is to try to act a bit like a Survivor initially. I need to avoid the lynch and the night kill for now. My hope is that town lynch Dracula by chance, or that I find him. If I find him, I think announcing it to town should be enough to give me many townie points and get him lynched. If I can identify scum during the day, that'll make things easier. My biggest concern is if there's a mass claim...
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:01 pm UTC

Not sure if this has already been brought to your attention, but:

[url]I present to you, Mafia: The Movie![/url]
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

The URL was left empty, Angua.

username5243

Postby username5243 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:07 pm UTC

There's no link in the url...

Also I started a newbie-friendly game here, please join if interested...
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:11 pm UTC

EVERYONE IN CAVE GO PLAY THE GAME....NO POSTS ALL DAY, MOD IS BOREEEEEED....SAY SOMETHING!! :D

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:53 pm UTC

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:59 pm UTC

Cave

Spoiler:
Maybe I shouldn't be using this PM gambit. Stinks of playing the system rather than playing the game. But, it also seems to be working.

So, I have been trying to find clues and I have found two. The first was a cop - I used it on username (who may be modkilled now) and found out he was town. The second gives protection from all actions (including the lynch). So i have to decide who to use that on before the end of the day. So far I am not sure but am leaning towards myself.

Oh I am town by the way.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

frogman

Postby frogman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:04 am UTC

Deathless

Spoiler:
Someone - Echo, I think - posted earlier about how they always read patzer as townie. I think I understand why now: it's that goddamn adorable avatar! I can't assign any negative intentions to it or anyone associated with it. That's some next-level strategy there if it's intentional.
yeah yeah yeah

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:51 am UTC

Need two replacements for Draculafia. PM me and Dj if interested.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am UTC

Draculafia:
Spoiler:
Suzaku just clarified my role PM, which now makes a bit more sense. If I find Dracula, I instantly kill him (i.e. an unlimited use vig who only kills Dracula). Sadly, that means that I can't go and shout "Hey look they're Dracula" to give me town-cred, to get them lynched, but I could simply claim that part of my role, if I find him. My suspicions point to Madge with her multiple kills/multiple undead factions thought. I'm guessing that Dracula knows about me, potentially having a similar power to mine, and her suspicions would suggest that she knows a bit about the setup. Honestly, had I not been one of said extra undead factions, I'd never have considered the multiple undead factions a possibility in a relatively small game like this.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:35 pm UTC

Draculafia
Spoiler:
1. I'm town, Detective Cotford. My existence was hinted at in the first flavor post (the "Scotland Yard" bit), and I didn't feel it necessary to point out that I exist. And yes, I'm basically a cop.
2. Did Madge softclaim Doctor? I could be seeing things... I'll continue pushing on her just in case, but I actually think that she's town for now.
3. I'm guessing that there is only one Vampire (Dracula) and some kind of other undead faction. So basically a cult and an sk or two. Or something like that.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:02 pm UTC

Deathless
Spoiler:
Wow, so I think Sir and frogman are cultist/Alien, and if I become town I'll tell them about it.

I could only counter-claim Mason or Shrink, so I guess my optimal strategy was to early claim this Day, but, you know, if I claimed Cop I'd have committed suicide myself...

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:52 pm UTC

Cave
Spoiler:
lol wow. Just accept a doc claim, love it, when you already know there were more powerful protective roles. Modkill of towns or not, the only person who managed to kill a scum was the SK. Town deserves to loose at this point. I mean there are FOUR MASONS and they all know each other and have all game. But no one must be a traitor so they don't talk and won't work together.

Takeaway from this game people: don't assume there are traitors in your group because "numbers don't make sense", and don't blindly accept everything a player says to be true.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:42 pm UTC

Deathless

Spoiler:
I'm Shrinktacus! No, really, I'm the real Shrink.

I hope Vytron's the Alien. Good counterclaim for him. And I hope my plan to wipe out the cult and vanillaise the first zombie, so we know who to cure, makes sense.

I really like this setup. I think I have a good-ish sense of who's who; but we have limited powers to stop everyone, and have to run round putting out fires for it all to work out in town's favour.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

frogman

Postby frogman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:06 pm UTC

Deathless

Spoiler:
Yo I have no idea how I'm supposed to get out of this one. Posts that I've typed in and deleted:
Here's a claim: Alien. As far as I can tell, I'm certainly the least powerful non-town faction at the moment, and also now that I am claimed I lose nothing from a lynch.

Lynch me motherfuckers I'm not claiming

Actually it might be better if I get lynched? Because then the zombies have more time to spread. New plan: make a super stupid claim and try to get lynched. It was going to happen anyway and a healthy zombie team = less town = easier for me. I guess? Sure. Let's just run with it.
yeah yeah yeah

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:47 pm UTC

Cave
Spoiler:
Sooooo that was interesting. Madge was killed by a town vig kill. I'm not sure that was a smart play but it certainly throws everyone for a loop. I assume it is an attempt to keep the game in day mode, while find out information, and they just had no clue of the numbers they were dealing with. Still, I think I'd have gone for Ug. With Username awol, that kill probably gave it to the scum. They need a townie lynch and then they win by default. We have a one shot protector left, but still, assuming successful night kill the scum has it. At this point, it is just a matter of time, if the scum wins today, tonight, or if really unlucky, tomorrow. It depends on how they hedge their bets today. They could steam roll a town for lynch today with username gone, but I don't think they know that - they should be able to looking at the numbers but really the scum has been more lucky than smart this game so I'm not sure they will catch that. I would find it fun though if they do, and the four scum just all vote in order on someone, and wait for a townie to hammer. Actually, if they were quick, they could do it right now since there is a vote out on a townie as is. I hope they do...I'd kinda feel better about scum winning if they went out on such a strong LULZ ON YOU play.

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:01 pm UTC

Cave
Spoiler:
Ugh, beyond frustrated with my mason team this game. Definitely felt good to let that rant out there. Probably should have done it at the beginning of the Day rather than continue to hopeless wait for a reply to any of my thoughts from my team mates.

Gray Bat
A wonderful endangered bat, they love huddling together on cave walls. They have very specific needs and always hibernate together in very cold caves through the winter. Your desire for community and hibernation makes you the perfect Mason. Town. You are protected night 1 from all harmful actions. Nonrecruiting.

You are all four masons. Please CC me on chats. You may chat night and day both, to help keep game moving.

Seriously now we were all CCed on this Role PM, and it specifically says Mason. Town. and you are ALL FOUR MASONS. Where is there room to be a traitor unless there were outright lies in the role PM. Yet no one would trade ideas or work together. Madge didn't say anything until I prodded a bunch and only then to tell me I wasn't trusted. Username had maybe 1 PM in Mason chat and then went AWOL after Day1. Scum kill me now and win plz thnx.
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:34 am UTC

Cave (EH can read)
Spoiler:
CLAP. CLAP. CLAP. <3 I'm pissed about how this game has gone too.

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:36 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Cave (EH can read)
Spoiler:
CLAP. CLAP. CLAP. <3 I'm pissed about how this game has gone too.

Cave
Spoiler:
Sorry, you feel that way as well. Definitely could have been more active myself, was busy with life through most of day1, and it's hard when there is so much lurking and stuff going on, especially in your own team. Lurking is a plague that spreads, and it kills...

We should start the XKCDMafia Foundation for the Prevention of Lurking.

For what it's worth I like the setup. Would have been fun if anyone played.

I especially like daychat. I would have liked it more if my team used it more. Seriously, even if you think there is a traitor why not use the ability to talk in a small group to possibly root them out? Can that be bad. If there was one why weren't we all killed when we stopped talking, since scum would know all the masons?

Interesting role in the lynch prevention, especially with the role being revealed at days end rather than day start. Definitely can't wait to see how that worked. Was it 1 shot, x-shot, and did they have to use it before the lynch was final so as to mitigate being able to know whether or not you are saving a towny? Very cool.

Anyways, after Hangafia having people leave over the setup and go lurker, and vanilllamafia not being as vanilla a game as I thought I was getting into and this game having so many lurkers and modkilling I think I will be taking a break for my own sanity. If I end up in another game that falls apart I may loose it.

Maybe I'll spend some time twerking wizardry with aardvarki and run it in January since someone, Dimocka(sp?)? asked. It's awhile from now, but I think if we took the time to ran that and ran into this many lurkers I would be hunting down personal info and finding some of those people. So I get your feels.

*EDIT* Wait wait wait... I've checked twice now. does twerking twe a king auto change to twerking??? Yes, yes apparently it does. Since when?
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:12 am UTC

Cave (eh can read)
Spoiler:
yeah I had a great game set up. You'll love it when you read, I think. It sucks it didn't work out due to lurking and poor playing. Your rant in the thread made me laugh. My concluding post with the roll and action dump will probably end up rant-y too. Everyone was so super excited for The Great Sungura (Tm) to mod a game and then they lurk like crap and all this shit? Yeah. I remember why I left the mafia subfora a while ago. Between that crap and the meta on me as a player it wasn't fun anymore. I had this awesome idea so I wanted to give it a go. Just sad it didn't work out. Honestly even the scum are playing poorly and it's funny to watch the whole thing go kaboom at this point. I gotta get my shits and giggles somehow :p

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:23 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Cave (eh can read)
Spoiler:
yeah I had a great game set up. You'll love it when you read, I think. It sucks it didn't work out due to lurking and poor playing. Your rant in the thread made me laugh. My concluding post with the roll and action dump will probably end up rant-y too. Everyone was so super excited for The Great Sungura (Tm) to mod a game and then they lurk like crap and all this shit? Yeah. I remember why I left the mafia subfora a while ago. Between that crap and the meta on me as a player it wasn't fun anymore. I had this awesome idea so I wanted to give it a go. Just sad it didn't work out. Honestly even the scum are playing poorly and it's funny to watch the whole thing go kaboom at this point. I gotta get my shits and giggles somehow :p

Cave
Spoiler:
Can't wait. Message me if you ever decide to mod again. I'd give it another shot for that. Glad you at least enjoyed my rant. Better to go out in a blaze of glory than to let it all quietly end or something.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:04 am UTC

Cave Mafia (May be read now by ElectricHaze only)
Spoiler:
ElectricHaze wrote:*EDIT* Wait wait wait... I've checked twice now. does twerking twe a king auto change to twerking??? Yes, yes apparently it does. Since when?

Moderator Madness 2014.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:45 am UTC

Cave

Spoiler:
Re: Matrix6 Redux Take 2 - D1
Unread postby username5243 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:46 am UTC

*taps foot*

Where is everybody? We've got mafia to lynch!

A: In Cave Mafia wondering why my teammate has abandoned me.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:29 pm UTC

Cavemafia
Spoiler:
Vytron in Cavemafia wrote:I always dream of the day in which we get a game where there's a Serial Killer that can kill at day publicly

There was! Community Paintball Wars!! I was the SK, with a public daykill! Great times
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:34 pm UTC

Cave
Spoiler:
and lots of my games have day actions rather than night. I've had plenty of day vigs. Day is more interesting. There are / were a LOT of day actions in this game, just either 1) people never reported into the thread or 2) they didn't use them at all or 3) used them at night.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:46 pm UTC

Cave
Spoiler:
oh get on with it already! Seriously half the mafia have already practically claimed they are mafia and here is a hint - the quietest one is the one with power - so lynch them and the town could win. Otherwise just get the day over with because your probably a mafia win overnight.

frogman

Postby frogman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:57 pm UTC

Deathless

Spoiler:
patzer wrote:
frogman wrote:That was pretty impressive! Was it just a gut feeling?

Sort of.

Thinking back to then, I think a few things inspired my gut feeling:
you were being helpful to town and seemed honest, but on the other hand were posting very little and seemed like you were trying to blend in with the crowd,

Also, I think you had posted in the Gojoe about twenty minutes after making a relatively contentless post in this thread. That's a fairly large length of time, and implies a sizeable post inside the Gojoe spoiler- if you were town, why would you have posted all of that there and not here?
And I've noticed in the past that non-town roles seem to make most of the posts in the Gojoe. (Or, at least, significantly more than would proportionally be expected) (though obviously some players post much more in the Gojoe than others regardless of role)

Interestingly, both of these seem to be null tells. I'm never very talkative in my games because I'm pretty bad at Mafia, and the Gojoe thread spoiler wasn't even related to my role (and like two sentences long).

Also, I should start posting in this thread more regardless of role to throw off any possible tells.
yeah yeah yeah

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:49 pm UTC

Deathless

Spoiler:
Seriously, I really am the Shrink.

Hope I'm not being too strong in my arguments; I believe in everyone having fun and enjoying themselves, somewhere underneath my desire to win. I worry I'm being a teeny bit aggressive in some of my arguments; not that they're hostile or hurtful, just pretty strong and backing people straight into corners that are difficult to talk themselves out of. Like the strategy for taking out the cult leader; whoever that actually was probably didn't have much fun (unless the alien redirected the masonic recruitment, in which case, we're in for all kinds of fun). Similarly with Vytron, the "deal with both of us" strategy is massively difficult to argue against and turn back into a popularity contest without subsequently losing that contest, and I've dropped it straight on him with no wriggle room.

Oh well. Maybe worth a meta discussion after the game.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:51 pm UTC

Cave:
Spoiler:
I find it amusing after ranting about lurking and inactivity in this game that currently the modkills are the thing giving us a fighting chance in this situation.

With all the modkills we end up in an endgame situation with 3 mostly confirmed town, and the daykill even though it took out town basically confirms suzaku town since mpolo hasn't counter-claimed and was my choice as the other possible vig. So if my read on Diemo is correct everyone else should be scum. Do we in fact have a chance? It is almost certainly a very very slim one, but for the first time I believe it could be there.

Return to “Mafia”