The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

frogman

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby frogman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:42 pm UTC

Welcome back!
yeah yeah yeah

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:53 pm UTC

Yayyyy! Cf is back!!!! (Hugs)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:55 pm UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:Hi Everyone! Feeling a tad nostalgic, figured I'd try my hand at playing again. :D

I was thinking of pulling the crazy list from the Modfather (OOTDs list) days and doing a PYP from it. Proper old fashioned crazy game.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:57 pm UTC

Oh hey crucialityfactor! I remember reading several games in which you played, good stuff!

Anyway, I don't get Morgan Freemafia, I guess I'd be interested in some thematic "Morgan Freemafia: Through the Wormhole" because how that is implemented sounds intriguing!

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:06 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Anyway, I don't get Morgan Freemafia.
see this game

And welcome back CF!
Where did my old signature go? :(

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:21 am UTC

Okay, thanks. Yeah Morgan Freemafia sounds like the most appealing option.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:59 am UTC

Draculafia

Spoiler:
What the hell??? I'm still alive. People are going to find me so suspicious now.

I am absolutely stunned and impressed that we did not have a town die and Dracula and SK are both dead, which to me seem on their face to be the most dangerous roles.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:16 am UTC

Draculafia:

Spoiler:
For those of you playing at home, some recap:

1. The Town has done extremely well. The SK and Dracula are both dead, and these were the most dangerous roles.

The SK was the only scum killing power. It was independent, although if the Mafia (which in this game is a Vampire Cult) recruited the SK, they would gain the killing power.

With the SK dead all killing power remains in the hands of the town (there's a vig) as well as the lynch. The Undead will have to win by deception and recruitment.

2. However, town is not completely out of the clear. One of their own was recruited to be a Vampire last night.

In addition, there's a surprise twist awaiting the town.

Count Orlok has usurped the position of Cult Recruiter from Dracula. They now lead the cult, which will continue to recruit.

Jimbob is Count Orlok.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:14 pm UTC

SDK wrote:Welcome back. FIve years since you last played, I see. Do you recognize anyone at all?

Wow, five years. I'm not sure if that is more or less than I thought. Certainly a lot has changed in the past 5 years to make it seem more distant.

I do see a good amount of familiar faces, plenty of new ones as well. Glad to see that this little community is still chugging along. :)

Sungura wrote:Yayyyy! Cf is back!!!! (Hugs)

Hi Amy! Great to see you again! How have you been?

moody7277 wrote:And another name from days of yore returns. Amy just finished modding a game, and there were a couple other oldsters here for the Hangafia game.

Yeah, I got a PM about that game I think. I guess it must have planted the seed in my head again. I was looking through some of the games since I've last been around and I see a good amount of people stop in from time to time. I guess you can probably add me to that list again. I'll at least play through the game I've signed up for and then see where that takes me.

Vytron wrote:Oh hey crucialityfactor! I remember reading several games in which you played, good stuff!

Haha, if you say so! I recall myself as being as subtle as a brick to the back of the head.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 pm UTC

Draculafia
Spoiler:
Ha! Killed by two players at the same time! Some vampire overlord I turned out to be. Go Misnomer, go!

jimbob, I guess I'll cheer for you too, but go to hell at the same time. :P
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:25 pm UTC

I'm ok. I responded to the invite but ended up leaving the game (as did another returnee) both of us not liking the bastardness of which we were not aware. It was debated and moved on. So I thought I would mod a game. I think this place has issues with lurkers horribly. The game I just ran basically won by lurker modkills. Three of them doing stuff in other threads but just dropped mine. So that's turned me off modding anymore. That's all I've done, otherwise I've been gone since around 2011/2012 myself.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:38 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:I'm ok. I responded to the invite but ended up leaving the game (as did another returnee) both of us not liking the bastardness of which we were not aware. It was debated and moved on. So I thought I would mod a game. I think this place has issues with lurkers horribly. The game I just ran basically won by lurker modkills. Three of them doing stuff in other threads but just dropped mine. So that's turned me off modding anymore. That's all I've done, otherwise I've been gone since around 2011/2012 myself.

Yeah, looking back at the last game I tried playing in, I think I flaked out because it just looked overwhelmingly complicated. That lurker issue sounds a lot like what we were dealing with back at the end of our peak. Very hard to deal with.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:30 pm UTC

Yeah it seems like it is coming off the revival peak as looking through when we all left it stagnated for a while then got reinvigorated a year or two ago. I think I there is enough to pull through the issue this time but I'm not sure I'm gonna stick around. Debating signing up for the game you did though just for old time sake ;)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Yeah it seems like it is coming off the revival peak as looking through when we all left it stagnated for a while then got reinvigorated a year or two ago. I think I there is enough to pull through the issue this time but I'm not sure I'm gonna stick around. Debating signing up for the game you did though just for old time sake ;)

B is still open if you wanted to do Betty the Bunny Wrangler. :D
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:15 am UTC

Draculafia
Spoiler:
I visited bessie at night, who is apparently human=town (I'm somewhat surprised). So I tried to hint at that in my message in case I get killed sometime soon.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:33 am UTC

Note this "lurking" has only been a problem in games with many players. Basically, you can, instead of getting 17 players and have 7 drop out, run a fine game with just 10 (something I couldn't say a few months ago, where we hit rock bottom and there was a point there wasn't any game running and none in sign ups...)

Draculafia
Spoiler:
Djehutynakht wrote:Making your way through the Castle, you look for the shadowy mass you pegged earlier as SDK. You have a feeling about him. He seems like he might be the one. But where is he?

Entering back into the main hall, you see the one you're looking for. You take out your long knife. Hunting has taught you the art of silent stalking. You get closer. You raise your weapon. And then with a flash of steel, you strike down...

Oh yes! Great immersing flavor, gotta love Djehutynakht's games :)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:47 am UTC

Deathless Mafia
Spoiler:
I think I've planted enough seeds to reach a zombie victory, so I really need to do this, Echo. If I out the zombies they will not bite me, and they'll still win. But I just had to drop it because Echo is truly not having fun because of this, and I'm sorry.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:57 am UTC

Draculafia:

Spoiler:
A little bit of a mystery for those playing at home:

I am occasionally prone to leaving game mechanic clues in spoilers. I did this today, and I'm wondering if anyone will figure it out.

To spot this clue for yourself, please reference:
1. The SDK-Jimbob-Misnomer Flavor PM (quoted below)
2. The Vytron Flavor PM (quoted below)
3. The Day 2 Draculafia Flavor (found in thread)

For answers, please see the second spoiler in this post.

SDK-Jimbob-Misnomer:
Count Dracula breathed in the smell of freshly spilled blood. How invigorating! What a perfect time to take his first victim. But who?

As the others stumbled around the castle, Dracula moved with adeptness. He had walked these halls for centuries and knew them all by heart, even when filled by thick fog. Who to pick... who to pick...

After some careful consideration, Dracula moved back into the main hall. There stood a lonely shadow. The perfect target.

Dracula moved in. They shouted, but the others would not hear. As Dracula cleared the mist, to his great pleasure he saw that he had come upon his original victim. Lucy Westenra. She had slipped through his grasp in London, but there was nobody to protect her now.

"Y..you..." she said in shaky voice. And then she made the mistake of looking him the eyes. Instantly she was transfixed, hypnotized by the Vampire Lord's gaze.

"Yes, my dear," Dracula said, with a swell of triumph. "We parted so suddenly last time, but don't worry. You will never leave me again. For all of eternity..."

And the vampire bared Lucy's neck, and without any hesitation his teeth were upon her. He drank with delight, the energy driving him on, until soon Lucy was without blood. He let her drop to the floor, pale and lifeless.

"Very good. Thank you Dracula. I will use her well".

Dracula spun around, surprised, horrified, and angry at the voice he heard. There behind him stood a shadow bathed in the mist.

"Who are you?" Dracula spat, flecks of bloody saliva coming forth from his mouth. "Identify yourself! What fool dares confront me!"

At once the mist around the stranger dissipated, and Dracula saw, to his horror, someone he recognized. From centuries ago. Another Count. From an area nearby. But here... How could it be..

"Orlok?!" Dracula shouted.

"That's right, yes," the Vampire grinned wickedly and nodded vigorously. In Death he was somewhat more sinister in appearance than Dracula, who had tried to refine his style so as to appear inconspicuous on the streets of London. His ears were large and pointed. His fangs prominent. His eyes were bulging and yet sunken into the face. He was thin and looked very much like a corpse.

"What are you doing here?" Dracula asked him, still surprised at his appearance.

"I've heard about your efforts, Dracula, and I'm interested in them," Orlok replied.

"Interested in them? You wish to swear your allegiance to me?" Dracula asked, his chest swelling.

Orlok laughed a wheezy, deranged laugh.

"Ah Dracula," he chuckled, "In death, still quite as arrogant and proud as you were in life. No, no. I do not wish to join you. There can only be one Lord of the Undead. No, I am here to kill you, Dracula".

With that, Orlok drew from behind him a long wooden stake, and with the power and speed of one of the Undead pieced it straight through Dracula's heart.

Dracula gasped. He looked down at the stake. Clutched it in his own two hands. He staggered a few steps backward.

"Thank you for the girl, Dracula," Orlok said, with one last look at his vanquished adversary. "I will use her well".

He looked down at body of Lucy Westenra lying down on the cold pavement. Although she appeared lifeless and pale, her eyelids began to flitter. Her canine teeth were now sharpened, appearing as fangs.

"Arise," Orlok commanded.

As if summoned, Lucy opened her eyes, and, though dazed for a moment, quickly rose to her feet and looked at Dracula. Her eyes, previously warm and kind, were now cruel and bloodshot.

"Who are you?" she asked.

"I am your new master," Orlok answered. "With your help, I shall ensure that the Undead win here tonight, and go forth into the world! But quick! People are coming! Act normal!"

With that, the two vampires blended into the crowd of living, waiting for them to discover the death of the old Count.

Vytron:
Making your way through the Castle, you look for the shadowy mass you pegged earlier as SDK. You have a feeling about him. He seems like he might be the one. But where is he?

Entering back into the main hall, you see the one you're looking for. You take out your long knife. Hunting has taught you the art of silent stalking. You get closer. You raise your weapon. And then with a flash of steel, you strike down...

Draculafia Spoiler #2:
Spoiler:
My clue:

1. In the SDK-Jimbob-Misnomer Flavor, I stated that Count Orlok (Jimbob) impaled Dracula with a stake.

2. In the Vytron Flavor, I stated that Quincey Morris (Vytron) slashed at Dracula with a knife (implying beheading).

3. In the public Day 2 flavor, I stated that Dracula was found both impaled and beheaded.

Vytron and Jimbob both performed hits on Dracula.

If Vytron, Jimbob, or Misnomer were to examine their own Flavor PM along with the Public PM, they should be able to infer that someone else besides them did something to Dracula.

Neither seems to have gotten it yet, though.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:33 pm UTC

Draculafia:
Spoiler:
Well that claim seems to have completely backfired annoyingly, despite being 100% truthful. I chose SDK for the reasons I detailed earlier. It was a rather lucky shot, and it turned up trumps. DJ even gave a nice lengthy flavour blurb to go with it, which I'm guessing might be hiding in one of his spoilers. Misnomer was recruited last night and is my only team mate. I am now the recruiter for the faction, and it doesn't look like it will get passed on any further, based on information from DJ, if I die. I don't know if Vytron is lying or not. There was nothing in the flavour blurb at night that suggested that anyone else tried to target SDK, so I might try to use that against him, based on what others say. Best case scenario is that someone claims to have role-blocked Vytron, though this is unlikely.

I have a few options that I can try out. 1) Continue to try and convince everyone of my towniness today, and hope that people back off me for the time being. 2) Claim Misnomer's character (Lucy) and hope they don't counterclaim. I suspect Misnomer would counter-claim, which would almost certainly result in my lynch, as if he doesn't and gets lynched, I quickly follow. 3) Go for being perceived as a jester. I'm trying to plant the seed in people's minds that there could be one. If I can convince people I am a jester by doing obviously scummy things, this could buy me some time. DJ has precedence for using one, though I don't know of any flavour justification for one at the moment. I could use 2) to pull this off. If Misnomer then counter-claims, it might give jester points to me (or scum points, depending on whether people think I might be a jester).

Amusingly the things pointed out so far as my scumminess are likely null tells for me: I think I genuinely would have said the "Yay, go town" thing if I were town, with two scum deaths. Also, my lack of committal is genuinely how I am in real life. Guess I'll need to be more conscious of those regardless of my role in the future.

If I don't manage to dig myself out of this hole, I suspect a town win could follow quite quickly. Misnomer would be left on his own to get everyone else lynched (or hopefully killed by Vytron), with no kill powers. No easy task!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:01 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Yeah it seems like it is coming off the revival peak as looking through when we all left it stagnated for a while then got reinvigorated a year or two ago. I think I there is enough to pull through the issue this time but I'm not sure I'm gonna stick around. Debating signing up for the game you did though just for old time sake ;)

Well if you do decide to play that would be quite awesome. But don't feel forced of course. :)

frogman

Postby frogman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:16 am UTC

Deathless

Spoiler:
I actually wouldn't have minded if patzer engineered a town win excluding me. But excluding Vytron? How rude! That including with the fact that there actually is a major flaw with the plan makes this easily exploitable. Let's hope they don't notice what it is. A patzer lynch would also be acceptable.
yeah yeah yeah

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:28 am UTC

Deathless
Spoiler:
Things get better as we move along, I just dream that this goes on and on and we wake up to see Day 42 or something :mrgreen:

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:47 pm UTC

Draculafia:
Spoiler:
Looks like I'm going to struggle to get out of this one. Annoyingly, I'd probably have been absolutely fine if both Vytron and I hadn't picked the same target (assuming of course that Vytron is being truthful) on N1. If I'd not found SDK, but Vytron had, I could be happily sneaking under the radar. I really didn't expect another claim like that. Grrr...

Meanwhile, I'm quite pleased with my completely fake claim. It has elements of truth in it (my power, my aim being to kill Dracula etc), so would have been perfect, had I thought about it earlier. I know my claim has some holes in it. I'm just hoping it's enough to help me survive to the night. If I can manage that, and scum don't get killed by Vytron, and I don't get jailed by moody, and my recruit target doesn't get jailed or doctored, scum might still stand a chance. Of course, I highly expect to get tracked by freezeblade, so the way I see it, I could try recruiting him, but thinking about the possible ways things could go wrong make my head hurt. I know that I was fairly townie on some people's lists, so I'm crossing my fingers I haven't made things worse.

I was slightly worried that dimochka had a character from outside mpolo's list, and therefore potentially have my claimed character, as the only other novel characters seemed to be dead long before this time setting. I can't see myself being able to rid myself of Dimochka's vote, and I'm concerned that bessie will choose me as well, if there isn't a good alternative. Looks like my cult buddy is in the firing line as well, which leads me to suspect that he will bus me hard when he gets back, to try and push distraction away from himself. It's kind of annoying that SDK recruited who he did. Lucy already comes with a pile of scum points, even if she had started out as town.

So, here's hoping that I come to the game over the next couple of days and find people have voted someone else, and it's all good.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:17 am UTC

Draculafia@Madge
Spoiler:
Madge wrote:I remember saying in mason chat on here that I am sorry I had to go because I had to go on a second date and got some encouraging words from people, and HE WAS THE GUY)

Hey, I remember that as well. I really really enjoyed that game!
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:39 am UTC

Draculafia
Spoiler:
Damn it DJ, no comment on my question about cop recruit? really? why do I have a feeling that you're just messing with my head...

I'm going to keep this to myself for now, else i have a feeling that it'll get me lynched too. if our lynch is incorrect, then i'll reveal at beginning of D3 (and say I got the response late) and hope we didn't lose yet. I just really don't think bessie was converted...

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:54 am UTC

Deathless
Spoiler:
Is this happening for real? The players can decide to have "everyone wins but Vytron"?

Bummer.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:14 am UTC

Draculafia

Spoiler:
Bleh this has not gone well - the woe is me post is a shameless effort to survive through sympathy and ideally flush out some more town role details. Failing that, I'm hoping the failure of the game to end following my lynch will at least muddle town's night actions a bit. If Arthur has a lover tie with me that would be fun too, though i suspect it's a one way thing.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:28 pm UTC

Draculafia:
Spoiler:
*shoves Misnomer under a bus* Sorry Misnomer, but I can't see any way of persuading everyone to lynch someone other than one of us two. I tried, but nobody bit on moody or Dimochka. I'm more important than you so goodbye! I was looking forward to having night chat with someone but oh well. There's always next night (if people don't decide to lynch me tomorrow - or worse still today instead of you).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:44 pm UTC

Draculafia

Spoiler:
So, now to decide which of Vytron or jimbob to jail tonight. I think jimbob would be the more attractive choice given he's a know independent. If everything is as people say it is, that was potentially 4 kills floating around N1 in a 11-player game. That's a hella lot of kills, which should percolate into the argument that some people are making that two kill blockers are too much.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:12 pm UTC

Smalltown Werewolf:
Spoiler:
Oh dear God what have I started... :shock:
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

frogman

Postby frogman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:32 pm UTC

Deathless

Spoiler:
Honestly fuck this game
yeah yeah yeah

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:43 pm UTC

Smalltown Werewolf
Spoiler:
Misnomer wrote:Oh dear God what have I started... :shock:

A twenty-six player, two month (approximately) online Mafia game with werewolves, aliens, zombie, vegetarianism, and romance.

Bets on six replacements, also.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:41 pm UTC

Smalltown

Spoiler:
oh my god it's started i'm so excited!!1
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:57 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
For all the spectators, I'm sure you're wondering just what my secret role is. Well, unless it's in Misnomer's spoiler, too bad because I'm not telling! (But it's a role of legend, I will say that.)
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:09 am UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
Plain ol' town over here. Excited and scared at the same time at the magnitude of this game.

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:20 am UTC

Smalltown

Spoiler:
Gah! I was hoping not to be scum. This is going to be stressful. We didn't get any of the extra kills, but we swept most of the weaker investigative roles, so expect a lot of wine. I'm not sure what to do with my power except save myself from a lynch, but I would probably just get lynched the next day.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:01 am UTC

Smalltown:

Spoiler:
I'm a hesitant Jester.

I'm actually kind of sad about that. This seems like a really awesome game, and it kinda sucks having to try to remove myself from it as soon as possible (after D1, of course).

However, Jestering really is a fine art. You have to get it juuuuuust right.

I seem to be doing a good idea getting people against me. Need to take it gently though. Don't push them too much. Just enough to set up tomorrow.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:18 am UTC

Matrix6 Redux Take 2
Spoiler:
Well I've learnt my lesson, don't assist top scum suspects in interrogating others (ok maybe just don't let SDK interrogate Echo). I didn't expect Echo to go crazy at some small scum accusations. If she hadn't been so certain that the only way to prove she was town was to vote for her then maybe I wouldn't have voted her. I almost changed my vote when SDK had "certain proof"... but I'm stubborn.
Why did all the town player have to look so scummy...
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:25 am UTC

Smalltown

Spoiler:
I've been trying to come up with some cool way to use my power, rather than just ducking a lynch. It's a shame I'm not an alien. If I were an alien and survived to D5 without using my power, I could win the game early by basically becoming invulnerable for a day and night. As it is, I'm just a werewolf. But if we're still dealing with an alien on the loose on D5 (and I'm not dead or powerless), I plan to point out to everyone that I'm not taking advantage of this, which should prove that I'm not an alien and narrow the field.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:58 am UTC

Smalltown

Spoiler:
For those following at home: I'm Lovers with patzer (Luna).
This is very frustrating. First, in a game with all kind of interesting abilities I get none initially. Okay, it just means that nobody will target me and I should survive the first few days, right? No, now I have to worry about getting killed second-hand...

Return to “Mafia”