The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:20 pm UTC

Wheel of Time:
Spoiler:
I guess Chane is an Aes Sedai, crucialityfactor is her Warder and they might be secretly Lovers. I think Chane arrived at the same conclusion when she posted this after I posted the hidden mechanics thing with regards to mpolo's claim.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:48 pm UTC

Wheel of Time:
Spoiler:
Close, Sabrar. Actually, crucialityfactor is Chane's bodyguard (Warder), and Chane is Aes Sedai and a partial doctor. By claiming doctor now, scum would have an obvious target, but it's likely to be too obvious, in some ways... I will say no more so as not to spoil onlookers fun too much for now :P
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Chane

Postby Chane » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:00 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
Yeah, that's why I claimed. They might take the bait and try to kill me..

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:10 am UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
So my plan was to avoid dying N1, ask for the Doctor's protection before end of D2 and live to D3 when I can finally reveal myself and hopefully kill multiple scum. Now Chane is likely to die N1 unless her Warder is a Bodyguard and if she's our Doctor then that plan is screwed. Worse, if they continue to force the lynch then I will have to reveal early the 'Innocent Child' mechanic that allows her to prove being a Doctor.
Also I just might die N1 after that performance, especially if Snark is scum.
Edit: or scum might have a roleblock and then we're really f*cked.
Last edited by Sabrar on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:26 am UTC

Wheel of Time:
Spoiler:
I'm curious to see how Chane plans on "proving" that she is a doctor. There's no mechanic in her role specifically related to it.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:49 pm UTC

Wheel of Time:

Spoiler:
Feel like I'm not going to last to D2 at this point. Kind of frustrating because it's really out of my control. Really did not want to have to skirt around this issue so much so early on.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:48 am UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
I really hope Snark is scum as his tone is extremely irritating this game. Might be just his style to provoke reactions, still I'm against antagonizing fellow players even for noble purposes.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:20 pm UTC

Wheel of Time

Spoiler:
Ugh. I feel 100% just thrown under the bus for no reason.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:22 am UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
Seriously not enjoying this. Chane is a newbie to xkcd, and I think she might be newish to mafia. I don't like having to attack a new player, but I feel I have done all I could to help her out, to the point of looking suspicious myself, like I'm helping a scum partner. And I would have acted the same way regardless of my alignment.

If she turns out to be a super experienced player that fooled us all I will think it is quite funny though.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:56 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
My current guess is Diemo + Carlington for Mafia and one of {bessie, emlightened, Snark} as cult-leader (who I'm pretty sure exists based on private questions to mod) in decreasing order of likeliness.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:24 am UTC

It's a shame Mafia seems much less active these days, especially saying I missed the signups for WoT by like, 3 days! Such a long wait for the next one.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:32 am UTC

If you haven't read the spoilers yet you could sign up as a replacement.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:41 am UTC

I expect ConMan will be launching his Two Rooms and a Boom game after Mod Madness is over, if he can get enough sign-ups, so there should be something soon. Usually there's about two games going at once overall, so it's a little quieter than usual at the moment.

Also - what Sabrar said.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

emlightened

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion wool

Postby emlightened » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:40 pm UTC

And hence mod madness starts.

Wheel Of Time:
Spoiler:
(Just got back from tea. The apple pie was nice.)

I dodged a prison sentence. Well, considering my current objective is to escape prison (Padan Fain, Indie), I guess an extra sentence wouldn't mean much.

Now I need to come up with some sort of safe fakeclaim for night results. The safest is roleblocked, but its also the most suspicious, short of contradicting someone. It does mean that I can imply that we have a scum roleblocker, or that someone who I thought was scum roleblocked me to try to come up with a fake result, but I don't know how believable that is.

I guess its a case of a scummy roleblocked-claim vs a risky actual claim, in which case I either get lucky, or directly accuse my opponent of being scum and probably lose.

I'm fine with waiting for mod madness to end.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:47 pm UTC

Wheel of Time: (ok for emlightened only to read)
Spoiler:
Don't worry - flavour would have been different had you been lynched.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:49 pm UTC

Wheel Of Time:
Spoiler:
Aww, that means I'm not lynchproof. :P

(Note: I didn't think I was lynchproof anyway, but its nice to dream.)

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:59 pm UTC

Wheel of Time (emlightened may read):
Spoiler:
Does it mean that? :P
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:16 pm UTC

Wheel of Time (@jimbob):
Spoiler:
I still think that as soon as night-actions are confirmed to be final you should inform the dead player(s) and not wait for D2 to start.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:11 am UTC

All i heard was "neverending chocolate chips" this sounds like the best idea ever!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:03 am UTC

So, at the risk of activating something, it looks like the mod madness might already be over?? Everything is looking normal, or is this the calm before the storm?

In any event, I've been wanting to try running a survivor ORG on this forum, but I'd pretty much want to know I had a good chance at getting at least 14, preferably 16-20 players. Do you think I'll have a chance at that?

Preliminary game rules:
  • Players start out in two even "tribes" and can only communicate with other tribe members (will be done in spoilers)
  • Every cycle, one person is voted out of one of the tribes until somewhere between 8-13 people are left, at which point they all merge into one tribe. Vote-outs continue until 3 people are remaining, and the last 7 or 9 voted out players will be in a jury and vote for one of the three finalists.
  • Every cycle, the tribes compete in a competition for 'immunity'. It will be something that requires a small amount of effort and I'll try to vary it. Some will be objective things like getting a high score at a flash game, others will be subjective like writing a short (100 word per person) story or producing an artwork. The tribe that wins is not the tribe that has to vote out one of their players
  • These competitions for immunity will continue when everyone is merged into one tribe; only this time only one person will win, who can still cast a vote but cannot be voted on
  • Private communication will be allowed in a fashion; mechanically I will probably give each tribe 3 sub-locations, so there might be BlueTribe-WaterWell, BlueTribe-Shelter, and BlueTribe-Beach and players have to announce when they're leaving one (unless someone has a better idea? I want people to be able to talk secretly, I don't want their privacy to be guaranteed; I'd probably allow a person 'arriving' in a new area to read the last post from that area). I'd also like to only allow people to read each spoiler once, so they can't go back over what's been said after they've gone over it once, I feel like it would encourage communication but I'm not sure if that would be really cool or go down really poorly?
  • There will be twists from the show thrown in to keep things interesting, of course. Maybe even something that the show hasn't done yet??

Anyway, on the TV show people typically form alliances, there's backstabbing, etc, it's all very fun. The prize on the show is $1 million, but I guess for a forum game we'd have to go without prizes.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:53 am UTC

I think getting 16-20 people might be a bit optimistic
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:24 am UTC

Madge, I'd be interested. Also, I think that the Madness is now over (see the global announcement thread).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:32 pm UTC

Yeah, but I am full of unbridled optimism. I might post on a survivor-related subreddit to see if I can fill some slots. I really wouldn't want to run it with less than 12 people, though, as part of the fun is watching the alignments switch around as people scramble.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:07 am UTC

I might be up for that, Madge, but it'll depend on when it starts and when/if ConMan's Two Rooms a Boom and a Bang gets going, as I wouldn't want to be learning two new games at once.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:47 am UTC

Hello all,

Yeah. It's been a bit of a mafia quiet-patch for me at the moment.

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:16 pm UTC

Wheel of Time:
Spoiler:
I love dying N1 as town. Means I'm doing something right.

I did get NK'd by anti-town right? No weird PGO or vig?

Believed mpolo and emlightened in their claims correctly. Trusted Sabrar correctly eventually. Forget who I pointed as scum and games not over so I don't know who scum is yet, but probably was fairly accurate there too.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:54 pm UTC

Wheel of Time @Snark:
Spoiler:
Read the second spoiler if you want to see what happened overnight.

Wheel of Time @Snark (part 2):
Spoiler:
Sorry, you did actually get affected by an anti-town mechanic, but not killed by it. In fact, multiple abilities affected you:
1) You targeted kalira.
2) You were targeted by bessie (scum) who has a redirection power and redirected to Carlington, Matrim Cauthon (town).
3) Mat's ability is a random ability: each time he is targeted by an ability, there is a chance that the user will get spotted, or that he will kill the user (the latter is a 1 in 6 chance). Unfortunately, he got the kill on you.
4) Had you not been redirected or killed, you'd have got a Town result. Unfortunately, it would also have been wrong, as kalira is a godfather!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:00 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Wheel of Time @Snark (part 2):
Spoiler:
Sorry, you did actually get affected by an anti-town mechanic, but not killed by it. In fact, multiple abilities affected you:
1) You targeted kalira.
2) You were targeted by bessie (scum) who has a redirection power and redirected to Carlington, Matrim Cauthon (town).
3) Mat's ability is a random ability: each time he is targeted by an ability, there is a chance that the user will get spotted, or that he will kill the user (the latter is a 1 in 6 chance). Unfortunately, he got the kill on you.
4) Had you not been redirected or killed, you'd have got a Town result. Unfortunately, it would also have been wrong, as kalira is a godfather!
Wheel of Time:
Spoiler:
Copping scum still feels great even if it wouldn't have theoretically worked out well for me. Random ability getting me is annoying, but whatever. I'm chalking this game up to a personal win for me. Went a little too hard on Chane but their actions made them mostly deserve it. Thanks for the game jimbob.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:49 pm UTC

Wheel of Time:
Spoiler:
Never considered a PGO in a 10 player game but it makes more sense then an SK. Also means that the possibility of cult is still open. I don't like that crucialityfactor claimed Watcher when Diemo had the same power. emlightened is definitely Independent (scum would have tried harder to save their partner), probably Survivor as she claims. My problem is that false-claims given to scum usually are designed to be believable on their own, so Watcher/Tracker doesn't really work as they rely on guessing correctly. Assuming Chane can prove herself (and with noone else claiming Doctor this seems likely) basically leaves bessie and kalira as scum-team.
Should I claim Bulletproof for N2 or ask Chane for protection? Decisions, decisions...

Edit: With jimbob's clarification here's my current guess for the setup:

Snark - Cop
Sabrar - Vigilante
Diemo - Tracker
mpolo - Jailer

Chane - Doctor
crucialityfactor - Watcher

emlightened - cult leader (with possible Tracker)
kalira - scum
Carlington - PGO
bessie - scum

I'm not sure of the cult thing because of reasons stated above (but with no cult we would have a 7-2-1 setup which I think is unfair for scum). Also Carlington could be false-claiming PGO (but then we would need an SK which seems unlikely).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:55 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
Huh. I guess if there's any character in the game who would be unrecruitable then it would be me (although I don't think Cult can recruit scum, so having 3 unrecruitable characters makes their job very hard). Also I just realized that giving Tracker to the cult leader as safe-claim is a good move as s/he can always ask about their target's night-target (assuming they have chat of course). Still having 2 of the same is suspicious either way...
kalira didn't claim anything as suspected, so I'm confident I called the setup right. We need to lynch emlightened today for sure.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:42 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
Alright, I haven't put any spoilers in here yet for this game, but I'm bored now waiting so here you go.
I'm Matrim Cauthon, Town, and I have the the ruby dagger imbued with the poison of Shadar Logoth. If I am targeted with anything, 1 in 6 chance that it succeeds with no other effects, 2 in 6 it succeeds but I am told who targeted me, 2 in 6 it fails and I am told who targeted me, and 1 in 6 it fails and I kill the user of the action (it's left unspecified whether I am told who targeted me, but I assume not).

Oh actually I've just realised, the death flavour and the dagger flavour don't match, it may not have been my kill which means that there is another kill around, probably an SK. Shitballs.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:15 am UTC

Wheel of Time:
Spoiler:
That was emlightening.

Sorry.

So, emlightened wants the dagger, which all but confirms her as Padan Fain, and tells me she's after me tonight to get it. bessie was able to glean information from Snark's role name, so I think that she's Rand al-Thor, the Dragon Reborn. Snark, of course, was Perrin.
I don't think Sabrar really was the person em needed to find last night. I think that if he was, he'd have enough information to have put this together by now, which is why I think bessie is Rand. So bessie is town, emlightened is maybe not mafia but SK and has the potential to become terribly dangerous to town. But how do I get all of this out there without jeopardising any townies? Am I even sure enough about it to try?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:05 am UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
So I went ahead and soft-claimed Bulletproof because Chane might be mod-killed and this seemed like the best place to do it. I really do not want to set up a tradition where Town!me dies N2 every single game without having a chance to use their ability. Funny thing: if emlightened is SK then it might be truth anyway (if it wasn't one-time only of course). It would make sense in a way as an Innocent Child that can only come out D3 might need some kind of protection before that.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:20 am UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
I'm less sure than I was about bessie being Rand. If Sabrar really was who emlightened had to find, then that makes him Rand, because Fain would be looking for Mat, Rand, and Perrin, but I'm Mat and Perrin's dead. If emlightened is going to get another night action in, I can't reveal that I have the dagger. Based on flavour, emlightened stealing the dagger from me can't be good for me and can only be bad for town.
I'm trying to breadcrumb that I'm Mat as well - Mat's a trickster and a gambler and known for being able to swing chance his way, so references to April Fool's Day and to making bets/rolling the dice seem like decent clues to leave. I hope kalira isn't scum, because I suspect she'll be the first to pick them up with her knowledge of flavour.
With seven left, I have that emlightened is indie, I'm town, and either Sabrar or bessie is town. Then there are two scum in {Chane, kalira, cf, (Sabrar|bessie)}. If there are three scum instead, town lose.
I might dump all of this before the day ends. I can't work our whether that's going to be good or bad for town overall.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:08 pm UTC

Replacement urgently needed for Wheel of Time. If interested, please PM myself and Suzaku.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:53 pm UTC

Did you contact 3fj? He signed up as a replacement in the other thread.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:06 pm UTC

Has anyone done a Secret Hitler game? I think it'd be extremely well suited to playing on the fora, but alas, search is INOP here, so I can't find out how I usually would.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:29 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Did you contact 3fj? He signed up as a replacement in the other thread.

Yes, but didn't get a response (well we did, but only to apologise for not being around and then he didn't respond to my follow up).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:23 am UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
So we mislynched, scum killed the claimed Cop, Jailer died either because of SK (unlikely) or stupid random chance which I hate in a Mafia game, our Doctor is MIA and probably will be mod-killed and now there's an assassin after me who probably already knows my identity. Just great...

Both bessie and kalira had the chance to counterclaim Doctor and didn't, therefore fmpov Chane + crucialityfactor are confirmed Town.

Only chance of winning is to convince the others to lynch Madge (which from IRL perspective is an extremely unkind thing to do :( ), hope scum kills the Watcher as safe-choice (Carlington is risky, Chane will be mod-killed and I claimed Bulletproof), daykill one of them and lynch the other. For this to work Carlington's claim must be true and if scum sees through my bluff and kills me then we're lost. Unfortunately if they think it through they can easily deduce my identity and realize that I must be a Vigilante, so they might target me anyways.

OTOH 2 scum + Assassin + SK is very unlikely, so is giving scum an ability that would potentially kill those who are investigating him, so Carlington is most likely Town.

PS: having the Innocent Child mechanic makes much more sense now if there's an assassin who needs to target specific roles. So I assume Chane has the dagger and is also Innocent Child on D2. Okay, I'm fully convinced about the setup now.

PPS: revealing the setup would 100% work if Chane wouldn't be mod-killed as even if I die tonight numerical advantage would still be in Town's favor. Assuming of course scum didn't receive additional kills or vote-manipulation powers, but that is unlikely. More probable is Godfather + Roleblocker.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:04 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
New strategy: reveal the setup, let Madge live and possibly kill me (but if she really needs the dagger first then I might live anyway), lynch 1 scum today and 1 tomorrow. That way Town should win. Will probably do it tomorrow, hopefully after the others post tonight.

PS: getting 4 votes will be tricky, need to convince every non-scum. Hopefully it will makes as much sense to them as it does to me.

Return to “Mafia”