The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby ConMan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:58 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
Madge wrote:I had a dream last night that when we executed Maven, bessie started posting. We were like, "bessie! You're dead!" and she's like "NO! you executed Maven, not me!! MUA HA HA HA HA" - and apparently bessie had a role that allowed her to be replaced and then come back in when her replacement died.

It was a dream, it doesn't have to make sense
Thanks for the setup idea... :lol:

Likewise. If I ever do "The Mod *Still* Doesn't Know What He's Doing", then this would fit right in.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:03 pm UTC

heury's game is in sign-up thread btw :)

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:50 pm UTC

I did like how we were going to have two 13 player space themed minimal bastardry closed setup games with the same time settings right after one another.

Though they'll obviously be very different because of not having lights out for this one at least.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:20 pm UTC

I'm excited for Heury's game! I hope I get to play in it (ideally on D2, ideally as scum for a change... but be careful what you wish for)

also, I hope DJ comes back someday. I was doing some writing today (shameless plug for my novel which is now updating ~fortnightly link in sig), and I was thinking about how much fun it was to write the halloween game and to try and do DJ's wonderful halloween empire justice. I'd like to know what he thought. (And... you know, I hope he's OK).

so, DJ, come back and play Heury's game! Make everyone's dream come t rue!!!!!!!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:59 am UTC

Liri wrote:So uh I kinda ducked out after one game, but I definitely enjoyed it and I'll probably pop back for another
:D There’s a game in signups now!

heuristically_alone wrote:I think the sign up queue for mods should be modified, not that it is really used anyways but possibly because how it doesn't really sync with what we're doing. Currently it is set up such that it shows the next game in queue for each size/type of game, but since we never have more than one game at once anymore, it can be difficult at a glance to see which game is really next. Therefore I propose that it becomes a single list of games in queue and next to your game you put the size/type it is. In all, probably not a huge deal since we don't use it all that much.
This is a change that’s needed to happen for a long time, I don’t think we’ve had enough players to run multiple games for about two years. I still like the idea of running an actual newbie/vanilla game every 3-4 months, concurrently with and not instead of the regular games. Something newbies or casual players can play and not get overwhelmed by the IC heavy posters.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'll add WoT3 to the queue after you. I should have time to work on setup over the Easter period. Would anybody like to help me with it? I'm assuming Suzaku will. I suppose I should also check if people are happy to play another of my games.
I’ll comod if my work remains busy, but I would rather play if I can manage it. In retrospect, I think WoT2 was one of my best games, though at the time I thought it was one of my worst.

Zenii wrote:Is this common!? Before it started, I had a dream about the game as well. I was two days late posting and everyone was meta scum reading me for my lack of activity, but I didn't care cause I was a day vig and day vigged Madge.
Yes it's common, and it appears you are being absorbed into the collective :P . And it extends into other areas of our lives too. When my dog bit my hand during Secret Santa, Madge “accidentally” cut her hand a few days later. Coincidence??? Hmmm. :shock:

Zenii wrote:Also, bessie, going back to the nightmare thing: I remembered that I do have this dream of going into a final exam and coming to the realization that I haven't attended class all semester. I still have this dream occasionally, despite not having been in school for years... In terms of like horror though, some part of my brain always seems to be aware that I'm dreaming, so my dreams tend to be more like a VR experience. So fear-inducing situations like being in the middle of a zombie apocalypse or trapped in Jurassic Park are really exciting and fun to dream about. Until my recent nightmare, that exam dream was the closest to disturbing that I've felt.
I still have school-nightmares, usually about missing or failing something important too, and odd because they combine elements of being a student and a teacher at the same time. Maybe because I was often treated like a student. I looked younger than some of the students. Or maybe because it was a RL nightmare and I’m actually reliving a memory. Ahhhh, I would love if my nightmares were about zombie dinosaurs :D instead of like, work :| .

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:20 am UTC

bessie wrote:When my dog bit my hand during Secret Santa, Madge “accidentally” cut her hand a few days later. Coincidence??? Hmmm. :shock:

I still don't have full feeling back in that finger tip so I GUARANTEE you I did not "accidentally" cut my hand, it was a legit accident. And if your dog and "universal energy" or some crap like that is responsible, then you both have a lot to answer for :evil:
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:01 am UTC

I still don’t have full feeling back in my hand either, but you’re right, must be total coincidence, nothing to do with any kind of collective consciousness whatsoever. :oops:

Left hand?

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:38 am UTC

Fourth finger of my left hand.

This is a quick picture I snapped at the doctor's office: https://i.imgur.com/39o0RLk.jpg

(note the obvious bandage on my finger, but the cut on the webbing between my thumb and forefinger too)

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:51 pm UTC

Dang that's a sexy hand.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:37 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Fourth finger of my left hand.
I knew it I knew it I knew it. :P

I don't have any pictures of the blood gushing, but you can see the scar on my thumb. It alternates between numb and sore if I rub it against something wrong.
Spoiler:
deadly injury.jpg
deadly injury.jpg (71.86 KiB) Viewed 1515 times

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:37 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Dang that's a sexy hand.

pls do not objectify me :lol:

and bessie I love your nails!!!!!! It reminds me that my nails are currently unadorned and i should do something about it (i usually put those jamberry stickers on them - yeah i know it's a pyramid scheme but they're a good product).

wam

Postby wam » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 am UTC

Come on people sign up for heurys game !
Come join us playing mafia signup here

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:49 pm UTC

I want to but I need my brain for other things the coming weeks and once I'm playing mafia my brain has trouble thinking about anything else.
he him his

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:15 pm UTC

Is anybody else going to sign up? We only have 6 + Madge so far, which isn't great...
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:07 pm UTC

I will humbly play all the remaining roles myself

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:12 pm UTC

Granted :lol:

Alien Warfare

alien warfare.jpg

Humans are no longer alone in the Milky Way galaxy. Are these unwelcome visitors going for a hostile takeover or is there a chance at diplomatic peace? Now accepting any volunteers in all fields of expertise whether it be espionage, politics, or balloon animal art. We have a lot worth fighting for and we won't give up easily, but will it be enough?
- Federation of Intergalatic Sapiens

• Mods: heuristically_alone
  • Size: Preferred 13
  • Speed: 5 IRL-day days, 2 IRL-day nights
  • Setup: Closed
  • Bastardry: Minimal (may contain hidden role elements and/or unexpected interactions - mod will not lie)
  • Start Date:TBA, Probably a couple days after finishing sign ups. If we need to accommodate to anyone, let me know

Sign-up Instructions:
To play, quote this post, add your name to the list below.

Players:
  1. Sabrar
  2. wam
  3. LaserGuy
  4. jimbobmacdoodle (only skill is balloon animal art, I'm afraid)
  5. Vicarin
  6. Maven89 (I might need a replacement at some point)
  7. Maven89
  8. Maven89
  9. Maven89
  10. Maven89
  11. Maven89
  12. Maven89
  13. Zenii

Replacements:
  1. Madge (bump me to sign ups if you need, but bump other replacements first)
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:29 pm UTC

Are you ready to be tested and pushed farther than you thought possible? Looking for humans to enlist and find the aliens hidden among us before a violent takeover! But can you even truat your friends? Find out by aigning up for Alien Warfare Mafia today!
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:12 am UTC

I think the bastardry should be a bit higher than minimal if over half the roles are played by one person :lol:

Also can probably slot Madge in first, to reduce Maven's workload.

At least this gives plenty of time to design the setup.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:08 am UTC

No, I need to be available to replace maven if required :lol:

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:58 am UTC

Up for replacing 7 roles simultaneously then?

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:26 am UTC

Madge wrote:and bessie I love your nails!!!!!! It reminds me that my nails are currently unadorned and i should do something about it (i usually put those jamberry stickers on them - yeah i know it's a pyramid scheme but they're a good product).
And what are these mysterious jamberry stickers of which you speak?????

*googles* .... Aaahhhh…<3 :D

OooOooOoo I wonder if my manicurist would be insulted if I asked her to put these on me. :D Hey Madge do they damage the real nail? I need to be picky about products because if I have any issues it takes like five months for it to grow out. Hmm, it looks like these stickers are designed to be cut in half, with the pattern on both ends, all the models have short nails :shock: ... That’s not going to work for me, from studying the pictures and video it looks like I would need the entire sticker…and I’m suspicious that these aren’t really designed for long nails anyway, I can’t find one image on the internet of someone with long nails using these… :(

plytho wrote:I want to but I need my brain for other things the coming weeks and once I'm playing mafia my brain has trouble thinking about anything else.
+1, QFT, dude you read my mind, etc. These are my thoughts exactly (Madge, are you reading this, plytho and I are having the SAME THOUGHTS. Coincidence???). Even if I limit myself to one hour of playing time per day I’m thinking about the game and can’t concentrate fully on anything else. I kinda need to concentrate on keeping my job and I’m not even sure why as I seem to be sabotaging it at the same time, at the management review meeting last week I told the president of the company to quit allowing the complainers to disregard the procedures and even the engineering department needs to fill out the fucking checklists :shock: . And even if I limit myself to playing one hour a day it’s really not enough, for reference, I usually put in about two hours a night when I’m playing, sometimes add morning time, and even more on weekends. I would need to drastically change my playstyle and every time I do something different I get read as scum for it. So I really can’t play right now but I might anyway but only if Madge plays. :P

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:41 pm UTC

Short on players these days, eh? I'll be looking to sign up for a game in a month or so. It's been too long! How's everybody doing!?
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:30 pm UTC

bessie wrote:I would need to drastically change my playstyle and every time I do something different I get read as scum for it. So I really can’t play right now but I might anyway but only if Madge plays. :P

What's wrong with being read as scum? :P

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 pm UTC

Speaking of concurrent games... For a little while now I've been thinking about a setup that's extremely low impact in terms of time commitment. Setup would be dayless--no lynches, no voting, basically no posting in the thread, actually--where you primarily use powers to figure things out and limited private messaging to communicate (what I have right now is each player would have an entitlement somewhere around 100 words per night phase (48 or 72 hours, I guess), which would need to be divided among whomever they wanted to send a note to). I was thinking of running this concurrently to one of the upcoming games to give the dead players something to do. No guarantees of balance or pretty much anything else.

Anyone interested in trying something like this?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:18 pm UTC

I'd be interested.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:35 pm UTC

Yeah, I think I could manage that.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 pm UTC

Count me, Zen

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:59 pm UTC

Sounds interesting, I'd be up for it.

Guessing that you'd have to be harsh on anyone trying to subvert the spirit of the word limit rule.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:35 am UTC

bessie wrote:
Madge wrote:and bessie I love your nails!!!!!! It reminds me that my nails are currently unadorned and i should do something about it (i usually put those jamberry stickers on them - yeah i know it's a pyramid scheme but they're a good product).
And what are these mysterious jamberry stickers of which you speak?????

*googles* .... Aaahhhh…<3 :D

OooOooOoo I wonder if my manicurist would be insulted if I asked her to put these on me. :D Hey Madge do they damage the real nail? I need to be picky about products because if I have any issues it takes like five months for it to grow out. Hmm, it looks like these stickers are designed to be cut in half, with the pattern on both ends, all the models have short nails :shock: ... That’s not going to work for me, from studying the pictures and video it looks like I would need the entire sticker…and I’m suspicious that these aren’t really designed for long nails anyway, I can’t find one image on the internet of someone with long nails using these… :(

Those are your natural nails???? :shock: I assumed they had to be acrylics of some sort!!! That's amazing.

They *say* they don't damage your nails, but they totally do. At least, mine tend to break - but that said, I've not grown my nails out without jamberry on them and I started trying to grow my nails when I started using jamberry, and my less used nails tend to get reasonably long by regular human standards (not by Bessie amazing long nail standards of course) before they break.

That said, you CAN put them on your toes... I don't have any star wars ones (they aren't licensed in Australia), but "pedi packs" are pretty cheap on ebay - you could look into that if you want star wars toenails?

here's my prettiest manicure photo: https://imgur.com/a/bCdvU

bessie wrote:So I really can’t play right now but I might anyway but only if Madge plays

What does my presence have to do with it???? *honoured regardless*

I think I know why i'm so scummy then - I play maybe 15 minutes a day, a lot of it broken up. I like that we can all exist at these extremes and all have fun even if you lot vote me off too much now... you will LEARN that i don't roll scum (i think it's because replacements are less likely to be needed for scum roles as scum is more fun than VT - deva, do you have stats on this?), and then i'll roll scum and all of a sudden everyone will get scared of me again like i got scared of USN and i'll be the D2 sacrifice every time for a while more :lol:

----

love the idea of the dayless game. it sounds like my ideal game!!!!

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:06 am UTC

Madge wrote:(i think it's because replacements are less likely to be needed for scum roles as scum is more fun than VT - deva, do you have stats on this?)

Grabbed only the ten most recent games. (Takes a while to ascertain alignments. Scoured some games for replacement information too.) Listed data below, in case of inaccuracies. Treated modkills as a replacement.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

Game Town Town.Rep Mafia Mafia.Rep Ind Ind.Rep
1           Stellaris Mafia    9        0     3         0   1       0
2           Newbie New Year    9        1     3         1   0       0
3         Secret Santa 2017    8        2     2         0   0       0
4           Crossover Mafia   13        2     6         1   2       1
5   Werewolf of Wall Street    6        1     2         0   1       0
6        Refrigerator Mafia    6        0     3         0   0       0
7               X-Men Mafia    6        1     2         1   1       0
8  Bin Chicken Newbie Mafia    7        0     2         1   0       0
9     Shakespeare Mafia III    9        1     6         0   1       1
10             Diablo Mafia    9        2     3         0   3       0

Town replacements: 10/82 (0.122)
Mafia replacements: 4/32 (0.125)
Independent replacements: 2/9 (0.222)
Total: 16/123 (0.130)

Ended quite close, assuming correct data. Blames the high independent number on low sample size. (Applies somewhat to the others too, though.)

Useful note: Required an average of one replacement for about every 7.7 players.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:23 am UTC

Fancy that! It seems it's the opposite of what I assumed. So huh.

Thank you for the stats Deva, I feel so fortunate we have someone who seems to always be watching and willing to provide stats on short notice.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:11 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Anyone interested in trying something like this?

I'm kind of interested although it seems like something for the more inexperience challenged.
—◯-◯

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm UTC

nah, don't be afraid! you'll pick it up! one of my first games was a really complicated game where the moderator was trying to kill everyone as well (... actually something like that sounds pretty fun).

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:05 pm UTC

If there isn't going to be enough people available for a game, maybe we just run a small game gamr for now? Or Laserguy's game.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:22 pm UTC

My setup is 9 players. I can put in signups I guess.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:14 pm UTC

What does "dayless" mean exactly?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:35 pm UTC

No Day phase, obviously :P
In seriousness, it will work roughly like this:

Night starts. If you're Town, you will have a night action or two available to you. You will also be able to send messages to other players, up a prescribed limit, but there is no regular chat in the thread. Messages are processed simultaneously at the end of the night. Then night actions happen, people die, flips are revealed, results are in. Then night starts again. No voting, no lynching.

For mafia, it will basically work the same as a normal night phase as far as they are concerned, except that they will also be able to send and receive messages.

The concept for dayless is inspired by this one at Mafiascum, so that's probably worth a look if you're curious to get a sense of how it might work in practice.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:44 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Messages are processed simultaneously at the end of the night.

Wait, so any communication between players is only processed once a night? You won't get any messages from anyone until N2 begins?

I'm assuming that the mafia will still have a quicktopic or something to talk in at least.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:01 am UTC

Yes, generally any messages sent on N1 will not be received till N2. Mafia will have a shared quicktopic, yes.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:59 am UTC

@LaserGuy - can I make one suggestion, so that the spectators can have fun too? Each night, everybody posts exactly once in a game thread, a spoiler containing all the messages they want to send (and maybe actions too?). Any labels should be inside the spoiler. Editing of these posts would be allowed until deadline, to allow players chance to revise their thinking as they go. At night end, you would collect up the final state of these posts to send out to people via PM. It's similar to what happened in Two Rooms and a Bang. Obviously players may only read their own spoilers.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Return to “Mafia”