The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Zenii

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Zenii » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:37 am UTC

Hmm.

Yes.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:43 am UTC

Yea! If there are any lurkers who would like to play their first game, don't let this opportunity pass! This should be a great game for newbies; there are only 7 slots so the content probably won't be out of control as it was in Newbie New Year Mafia. But you need to sign up now before the game fills up!

wam

Postby wam » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:44 am UTC

I am happy to drop.to replacements for newbies to have a slot.

Yeah the setup I have for chaos mafia needs 13+ so will keep that on hold till we have more players.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 am UTC

Same as wam, happy to drop to replacements (or mentor if Zen allows it) to make space if there are any newbies that would like to play.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:48 am UTC

Zenii wrote:Hmm.

Yes.

Good to know, since I already signed up.
—◯-◯

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:23 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:

Yes.

You aren't a newbie though. 8-)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:56 pm UTC

Zenii wrote:
somitomi wrote:

Yes.

You aren't a newbie though. 8-)

You flatter me
—◯-◯

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 am UTC

It's true I was going to say the same thing. I think bin chicken was your first game like a year ago?
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:42 am UTC

Attention lurkers! Since Sabrar is going to break my heart and go on vacation instead of playing Zen's game :( , there's space for one more lucky player! This is your last opportunity to play which *should* be a fairly easygoing game before we force Madge to play. Newbies, if you are thinking about playing you really should sign up. I'm not sure of the scope of heury's game, but I suspect jimbob's and wam's games won't be as newbie friendly (I think WoT2 was the most complicated setup I've ever played).

If we have a couple more people that want to play, my offer still stands to drop to replacements or mentor a terrified newbie. :P

somitomi wrote:

Yes.

Yeah right. I haven't considered you a newbie since at least Newbie New Year Mafia, where you impressively not only stood up to a bessietunnel, you fired back. :D

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:56 am UTC

yeah guys... PLEASE don't force me to play.

I already know what'll happen if I do:

- I'll whinge about D1
- Bessie will tunnel me for reads
- I will refuse to provide reads and end up claiming my role by drip feed
- If I am not voted off D1, scum will kill me N1 because of my awesome power
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:58 am UTC

bessie wrote:Since Sabrar is going to break my heart and go on vacation instead of playing Zen's game :(
D'aww. I knew you wouldn't like it... :cry:

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:37 am UTC

Yes.
So I decided to add an element to the game and spent the past couple of days balancing around it. So it's not quite as minimal as it was before (though I still have that version if preferred). That being said, I'm fully confident that if a newb newb does decide to join, they wont have anymore difficulty picking it up than a normal game; especially since people on xkcd tend to be of the intellectual type.

I will put up the game thread sometime tonight, most likely, that will give more details.

Edit: Ninjad by Maven hamma

wam

Postby wam » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 am UTC

Bessie. I would say my chaos mafia is fine for newbies as my goal is that no one has a clue what's going on. So it's a level playing field :twisted:

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:38 am UTC

Madge wrote:It's true I was going to say the same thing. I think bin chicken was your first game like a year ago?

Damn, was that really so long ago? I was about to say I can still count all the games I've played on one hand and realised this is no longer true... :shock:
bessie wrote:Yeah right. I haven't considered you a newbie since at least Newbie New Year Mafia, where you impressively not only stood up to a bessietunnel, you fired back. :D

I don't remember doing anything impressive, but thanks.
—◯-◯

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:55 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
bessie wrote:Since Sabrar is going to break my heart and go on vacation instead of playing Zen's game :(
D'aww. I knew you wouldn't like it... :cry:
Yeah and don't forget if you skip three games in a row I automatically need to reevaluate your current position as my favorite. :P And Sabrar, don't you ever sleep?

wam wrote:Bessie. I would say my chaos mafia is fine for newbies as my goal is that no one has a clue what's going on. So it's a level playing field :twisted:
So normal game for me. :D

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Yeah and don't forget if you skip three games in a row I automatically need to reevaluate your current position as my favorite. :P
I can't let that happen, can I? :D
bessie wrote:And Sabrar, don't you ever sleep?
My insomnia is acting up again. :(

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:23 am UTC

Yo guys. I forgot my password and only have it saved on my phone lol. I have no idea what's been going on here since I hosted a game last year but apparently Zen is here now.

I can only recommend you guys lynch him D1 every game for the good of the site.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:11 am UTC

Sorry the the game hasn't gone up yal, been a bit busy. It will 100% be up by tomorrow.

Yolo! Hey, what's u—

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:I can only recommend you guys lynch him D1 every game for the good of the site.

Executive Order: Light's Out

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:52 am UTC

Zenii wrote:Executive Order: Light's Out

Noone's gona believe you're town this time.

VOTE: Zenii
—◯-◯

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 am UTC

Yeah, I think I promised this in case of ever having similar shenanigans again

Vote: Zenii

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:48 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Yo guys. I forgot my password and only have it saved on my phone lol. I have no idea what's been going on here since I hosted a game last year but apparently Zen is here now.

I can only recommend you guys lynch him D1 every game for the good of the site.

You can’t just accuse someone of being scum without proof. Do you have some analysis to share? I think you’re just trying to take Zen away from us, and I’m not going to let him get away so easily. :D YOLO, why don’t you sign up for Alien Warfare Mafia? It’s in signups now and we’re hoping to run it in a couple weeks. Then you can vote for Zen yourself. :P

But seriously YOLO, the site registration issues we were having last summer should all be solved, and you should be able to reset your password without any problems. If you do have any issues, you can try contacting SecondTalon, he’s the moderator that helped us out before. Then you will have no excuse for not signing up for Alien Warfare. :wink:

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:10 pm UTC

Historically, I put way more effort towards presenting reasoning as scum than as town. So you can trust me on this one :wink:

And thanks, I'll give it a shot later today. As for the game, perhaps. Truth be told, not sure I want to brave a game with my playstyle here regardless of alignment, or bend to make it more palatable to the meta. Maybe I can form a happy medium; I've definitely had a lot of fun here before. Hm.

Btw, is there any reason flips aren't posted until the start of the dayphase after the lynch? That's really scumsided IMO, and I haven't seen a reason for it being the norm.

wam

Postby wam » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:22 pm UTC

As far as I know it's just always been done that way! I know that's not a proper reason! But yeah 6 years* of history and it probably goes back further.

* 6 years is longer than I thought! Had to check.

wam

Postby wam » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:26 pm UTC

And Yolo I promise not to try and lynch you on meta day 1.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:07 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote: And thanks, I'll give it a shot later today. As for the game, perhaps. Truth be told, not sure I want to brave a game with my playstyle here regardless of alignment, or bend to make it more palatable to the meta. Maybe I can form a happy medium; I've definitely had a lot of fun here before. Hm.
YOLO, no one should feel obligated to change their playstyle or meta just to conform to some perceived “correct xkcd style” of playing. Hmm, here’s a post I made almost three years ago (!) with my view. This would be quite a boring game if everyone played exactly the same way! (and I would probably go insane if everyone played like Sabrar :shock: )

I’ve also had a similar discussion with Madge regarding her meta in Secret Santa and in Newbie New Year. I think this summarizes my position pretty clearly:
bessie wrote: Madge- I would apologize again, but I already know you understand. Do not ever change, and if anyone tries to make you, tell them to go fuck themselves. Then send them to me so that I can do the same.
Of course I reserve the right to scum read you regardless and lynch you on D1. :P

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote: Btw, is there any reason flips aren't posted until the start of the dayphase after the lynch? That's really scumsided IMO, and I haven't seen a reason for it being the norm.
I’m not sure why it’s done that way. I can’t remember a game other than Crossover where the flips were revealed at the end of day, perhaps Deva has some stats on if posting the flips at end of day used to be more common. Hmm, and as to it being more beneficial to scum, we tend to have indies in almost every game so mafia does not necessarily know everyone’s alignment, but you’re probably right. I’ve only played mafia here (and sporadically, for about four years), so my experience is somewhat limited. Oh, and YOLO, I finally played my first game as mafia (Secret Santa) after almost two years as town, and now I finally understand what Overswarm was trying to explain to me in this post regarding my power in Crossover (I didn’t quite get it at the time). There’s a lot I have yet to learn about this game. :)

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:55 pm UTC

bessie wrote:if you are thinking about playing you really should sign up. I'm not sure of the scope of heury's game, but I suspect jimbob's and wam's games won't be as newbie friendly.

Alien Warfare isn't specifically a newbie game, but I'd say it should be newbie friendly for the most part. Closed setup with sufficient power roles.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:40 am UTC

I hope using that lights out didn't interfere with Zenii's plans for starting soon.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:58 am UTC

Recaptcha no longer working, so I am locked out of my account on desktop and new accounts cannot be signed up for.

Just FYI, I am locked out for bad password attempts.

Posted on the forum issues subforum already.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:12 am UTC

Finally done. Sorry that I lied. Roles going out now.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:40 pm UTC

Ok bessie you've convinced me just know my new playstyle is to act as scummy as possible and then call anyone who votes me scum before getting lynched D1.

If I roll scum I'll claim a daycop on my buddies and bus them.

This is a secret mafia strategy I developed with a 100% success rate but since I like y'all I decided to tell you guys. Just please promise not to post it anywhere else on the internet because it'll break the fairness rate in mafia.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 pm UTC

7Zens
Spoiler:
I'll be making notes throughout the game here. My role is complex enough that I'm going to need to keep track of what is going on more diligently than usual.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 pm UTC

7zens
Spoiler:
I am town and just happy to get my first post in before sabrar

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:01 pm UTC

7zens
Spoiler:
I almost accused wam of being mafia for knowing his parity number, but before I posted it I thought I should probably check to see what was in my inbox. Lo and behold I got my parity number (6 by the way). So when I am positive no actions affect me, and negative I appear as mafia to investigative actions. I decided to claim my negative ability right away but also claimed both my abilities to be weak which is not exactly true.

I'm also a little bit disappointed at knowing our parity number because I thought it would be fun to try to figure out what your own number is
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:02 pm UTC

A game of mafia where the players post in the gamethread? What is this madness?

Also, I was amused by the N0 killing of not-actually-playing players. I'm 90% sure that I did something very similar 6 years or so ago. And it confused a couple of the yes-actually-playing players.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:18 am UTC

Thingyman wrote:Hi there, hope you're doing well

It's finally that time of year again. Season 5 of the Mafia Championship will very soon be upon us, and I was hoping you might be willing to extend an invitation to your community on my behalf, if you think they might be interested? I'd be stoked to see your community participate once more, and your help would be super appreciated! :)

The invite in bbcode format (so you can copypaste to your forum, if you wanna do that):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QEJ ... sp=sharing

The invite in Google Docs format: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E9x ... sp=sharing

Kind regards,
Thingyman

Just got this message from Thingyman. He puts together this mafia championship with like 100 different forums every year and each forum is allowed to pick one of their own to participate. The last time xkcd fora participated was season 3, and it would be sweet to see one of our players go on and win the whole thing.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:33 am UTC

Just FYI, until the captcha issues are resolved, I'm not going to be joining any games unless dire need for a replacement who will be reasonably limited posting

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:34 am UTC

I think I still have access to a temp account used in an anonymous Mafia game years ago t and will use it if necessary, but I guess I will change the avatar

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:41 am UTC

bessie wrote:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote: Btw, is there any reason flips aren't posted until the start of the dayphase after the lynch? That's really scumsided IMO, and I haven't seen a reason for it being the norm.
I’m not sure why it’s done that way. I can’t remember a game other than Crossover where the flips were revealed at the end of day, perhaps Deva has some stats on if posting the flips at end of day used to be more common.

Boring notes: (Not a spoiler for current games)
Spoiler:
- Classified games by thread creation date.
- Excluded Darkest Dungeon due to no day phase.
- Excluded Secret Santa 2017, Refrigerator Mafia, X-Men Mafia, Dark Tower, Trial of the Pariahs, Baker Street Irregulars, Dollhouse Mafia, MoA Replay, The Hunting Party, Crush Nightless, Inception, Maff Effect, Marvel vs Capcomafia, Assassins in the Temple, The Thing, Back to Basics, Doctor Who Mafia, and Secret Santa 2011, due to no night phase or extremely little.
- Treated Monstrous Masquerade Mafia II, Secret Santa 2016, and Impromptu Mafia as Delay. (Tried to be "pseudo-nightless".)
- Could not determine the method in Chez Geek or Anonymafia.
- Ignored non-Mafia games, such as Resistance.

2018: Delay: 2 (Stellaris, Newbie New Year). Immediate: 1 (Seven Deadly Zens)
2017: Delay: 5 (Werewolf of Wall Street, Bin Chicken, Shakespere Mafia III, Diablo Mafia, Wheel of Time 2). Immediate: 1 (Crossover Mafia)
2016: Delay: 9 (MMM II, Secret Santa 2016, Impromptu Mafia, FAC668, Pen Pals Mafia, Shakespeare Mafia II, Wheel of Time, PyPokemon 2, and Alternating 9P Mafia). Immediate: 0

Skipped ahead. Grew weary of deciding what games were sufficiently nightless.

Delay: 35 (Liars for Short, HUAC Mafia, American Pie Mafia PyP, Lostia, Necro-Cultia, The Departed Mafia, Newbie DEFCON, Mafia on a Plane!, TV Tropes, Minecraftia, Zoo Mafia 2: Camelot, Assassins Creedia, Duel Dual Mafia, Call of Cthulhu, The Sheriff of Nottingham, The Terminator Mafia, Lataro’s PYP BASTARD NES, Wizardry Mafia 2.5, Portal Mafia, The Lydhampstead Mystery, Mafia + Werewolf, Lataro’s PYP BASTARD SNES, Designer Mafia, Death to the Conspiracy!, Magicians!, Lataro’s PYP BASTARD RPG, Roald Dahl PyP, Smalltown Mafia, All the King’s Men, Mulanfia, "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels Mafia", Zoo Mafia 3, Rob/Lataro's Fun Game of Fun, Scales of Justice, and Amy’s Surprise Game)

Immediate: 9 (WTF Mafia, Rabbits in Otterspace, xkcidy Dethy, C9++, The Sailors of Sea Nine, Mega Mafia, Lucid Dreamers, Homestar Scummer, and Lucid Dreamers 2)

Received immediate lynch results more often in past games. Appears to have been the minority. Vaguely recalls a role reveal for the wrong person (or nearly). May have turned off some people. Could be mistaken, however.

Interesting note: 57 games in 2011 versus 26 games in 2016-present. (Left the non-Mafia games out of those numbers.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:54 am UTC

No wonder we used to need a sign up queue! Thanks for the stats deva.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:09 am UTC

Deva, the human database

Return to “Mafia”