The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

mpolo

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby mpolo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:43 am UTC

I have the "Miles O'Brian" account from DS9 somewhere, if it's needed.

By the way, I am here again… Took a little unannounced break there, as other responsibilities were looming.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:
Thingyman wrote:Hi there, hope you're doing well

It's finally that time of year again. Season 5 of the Mafia Championship will very soon be upon us, and I was hoping you might be willing to extend an invitation to your community on my behalf, if you think they might be interested? I'd be stoked to see your community participate once more, and your help would be super appreciated! :)

The invite in bbcode format (so you can copypaste to your forum, if you wanna do that):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QEJ ... sp=sharing

The invite in Google Docs format: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E9x ... sp=sharing

Kind regards,
Thingyman

Just got this message from Thingyman. He puts together this mafia championship with like 100 different forums every year and each forum is allowed to pick one of their own to participate. The last time xkcd fora participated was season 3, and it would be sweet to see one of our players go on and win the whole thing.

Thanks for sharing the invitation! :)

I'll be around to answer any questions you guys might have. This season will have 170+ mafia communities, and I was very sad to see xkcd not be able to participate last year, so I'm hoping you guys will be making a comeback for this 5th season :)

wam

Postby wam » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:51 pm UTC

@thingyman

Having not looked at it for a while. What's the content levels these days? As that has always put people off.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:36 pm UTC

Anyone interested in running something else while Zen game is on hiatus? I can put together another Dayless setup if people want. Or maybe a simple Open setup (matrix6 or similar)?

wam

Postby wam » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:57 pm UTC

I have thoughts of a small setup to run. But I'm busy all weekend so don't think I could look at it before Sunday.

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:55 pm UTC

wam wrote:@thingyman

Having not looked at it for a while. What's the content levels these days? As that has always put people off.

This season is 17 players, so the best way to get a sense of the activity levels would be to look at season 3, which also had 17 player games. An example game: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/th ... ampionship

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 pm UTC

Deva, thank you very much for the stats!

Some observations. 2016-2018 the only games with immediate reveal are those modded by DGames. I don’t remember any games with immediate reveal in the past 4 years (and wam didn’t remember any in the past six) so there probably have been very few, if any. Hmm, even back when there were a lot of games running (wow, 57 games in 2011?!) immediate reveal was less common, but not all that rare. Not sure what conclusions to draw from it, perhaps mod error pointed out Deva was the reason for the change?

LaserGuy, wam, etc, I’m not necessarily looking to sign up for another game (I don’t really have time for the two I am signed up for) but if everyone wants one I’ll play if I’m needed for the game to run.

Re Mafia Championship. Does anyone from xkcd have the time to play? We can have a vote off if we get more than one volunteer but I kinda don’t think that’s going to be an issue. :)

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:35 pm UTC

Winner gets a certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia :P

Maybe you could even try and convince him to play a game with you on xkcd if you do well ;)

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:04 am UTC

And if I remember correctly, they don't start the mafia Championship until June. If absolutely no one wants to do it, I will. Though I think XKCD should be represented by somebody a little bit more capable than me haha.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:28 am UTC

we should just all play as a giant hydra account so that way we might possibly be able to keep up with all the content :lol:
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:03 am UTC

Great idea! We'll just have to keep it a secret since I'm pretty sure hydros won't be allowed. Thingyman don't read the above post :wink:
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:40 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:And if I remember correctly, they don't start the mafia Championship until June. If absolutely no one wants to do it, I will. Though I think XKCD should be represented by somebody a little bit more capable than me haha.

Yeah, the early games start May, but the latest qualifier is gonna start June 18th. And awesome, with at least one volunteer I'll mark you guys down as accepting this year's invitation :)

wam

Postby wam » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:12 pm UTC

Yeah I would offfer but i think I will have lots of work travel may June.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:09 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:And if I remember correctly, they don't start the mafia Championship until June. If absolutely no one wants to do it, I will. Though I think XKCD should be represented by somebody a little bit more capable than me haha.
heuristically_alone, please don’t belittle your considerable abilities! I think you would make a fine representative!

Is there anyone else that would like to throw their hat in the ring?

Madge wrote:we should just all play as a giant hydra account so that way we might possibly be able to keep up with all the content :lol:
No, I don’t think group account would be permitted. We’ve asked about it before. So no, no danger at all that I would secretly try to convince Sabrar to sign up for this and hydra with me. Not gonna happen. Not even thinking about it. Didn't even cross my mind. :P

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:11 pm UTC

Too bad, I think we could have gotten away with it. I could blame it on my insomnia when you're posting at 3am my time. :)

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:44 pm UTC

Yeah, I think I post a lot here, and then I see the sort of activity level expected there. Dang. Also wouldn't help being in a weird timezone when dealing with high activity days.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:12 pm UTC

So Sabrar and I should secretly create a hydra for the next game and see if anyone figures it out. :P

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Madge’s confirmation post is interesting. I think she is scum.

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Reconsidered my earlier post. Madge’s content is entirely within her meta. She’s town.

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: No, I thought about it again. Madge’s last post has too many nitpicky technical errors. Definitely scum. Madge did you even read the OP?

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Reconsidered again. Madge usually skims over the rules or doesn’t read them at all so this is not a scum tell.

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Madge are you even going to post?

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: IIRC, Madge said she would be very busy this week. I would like to give her some time to read the thread.

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Why? Her partners can fill her in. Vote: Madge

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Disregard my previous accusation. I’m being stubborn AS USUAL. Unvote: Madge

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Changed my mind. My previous post was ILLOGICAL. Vote: Madge

Vicarin: Vote: Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra. Reason, I think you lied about having no previous mafia experience.

Madge: Hi, I’m so sorry guys I’ve been gone for two days! Catching up now! (THREE PAGES of new content? WHAT’S UP WITH THAT???) I’ve had a very ODD past couple NIGHTS and haven’t been able to TRACK what’s been happening, but going forward things should be more EVEN for me and I will WATCH the game more carefully.

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: OK, I was wrong. Madge is town. Unvote.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:24 pm UTC

That would be brilliant. I now want to run a hydra game....

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:27 pm UTC

Oh my goodness this is great. Bessie, you don't even need Sabrar for a hydra. Just impersonate hin yourself. Confuse the heck out of us.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:36 pm UTC

bessie wrote:So Sabrar and I should secretly create a hydra for the next game and see if anyone figures it out. :P

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Madge’s confirmation post is interesting. I think she is scum.

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Reconsidered my earlier post. Madge’s content is entirely within her meta. She’s town.

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: No, I thought about it again. Madge’s last post has too many nitpicky technical errors. Definitely scum. Madge did you even read the OP?

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Reconsidered again. Madge usually skims over the rules or doesn’t read them at all so this is not a scum tell.

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Madge are you even going to post?

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: IIRC, Madge said she would be very busy this week. I would like to give her some time to read the thread.

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Why? Her partners can fill her in. Vote: Madge

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Disregard my previous accusation. I’m being stubborn AS USUAL. Unvote: Madge

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: Changed my mind. My previous post was ILLOGICAL. Vote: Madge

Vicarin: Vote: Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra. Reason, I think you lied about having no previous mafia experience.

Madge: Hi, I’m so sorry guys I’ve been gone for two days! Catching up now! (THREE PAGES of new content? WHAT’S UP WITH THAT???) I’ve had a very ODD past couple NIGHTS and haven’t been able to TRACK what’s been happening, but going forward things should be more EVEN for me and I will WATCH the game more carefully.

Not-Sabrar-and-bessie-hydra: OK, I was wrong. Madge is town. Unvote.
:lol:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:44 pm UTC

I think I'm in love. :oops:

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:50 pm UTC

:lol:
That post is great.

I really like the idea of playing hydras (maybe even an all hydra game). Don't know how we'd do it with our current numbers though. Hopefully in the summer things will get a bit livelier.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:59 pm UTC

That was pretty hilarious, I must agree.

Regarding Wheel of Time 3, I'm thinking of doing a PYP-style. There'll be a little bit of a Jimbob twist, but probably not as complex as WoT 2. Sound good?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:37 pm UTC

I love you bessie.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:13 am UTC

I think I like the really subtle breadcrumbs in that post the best.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:30 am UTC

my breadcrumbs aren't that obvious are they :(

also, if bessie had made my post go into a tangent about my personal life it would have been perfect

wam

Postby wam » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:38 am UTC

@ jimbob that sounds good to me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:09 pm UTC

Worth a try.

Spoiler:
Players needed for game! Please come back and sign up!
Peaceful Whale wrote:...

flicky1991 wrote:...

Hari Seldon wrote:...

moody7277 wrote:...

MasterOfAll wrote:...

cemper93 wrote:...

BoomFrog wrote:...

Liri wrote:...

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 pm UTC

Sorry, I've not found it as fun as I should when playing lately.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:24 pm UTC

I'm not interested in playing, but if it would help you out, I would be willing to mod a game.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:59 pm UTC

Okokok I'm game
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:16 pm UTC

Guys! I was able to reset the "too many login" flag on my account by resetting my forum password, so now i have a much much more secure password (TAKE THAT HACKERS), and I should theoretically be able to mafia from work again!! (I haven't been at work the past two days due to having a killer cold, and not at work today because it's a public holiday)

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:30 pm UTC

Hi guys

I'm going on a short vacation tomorrow. Will be back Sunday, April 29.

As for the deadline for choosing a representative (or someone volunteering themselves), I am extending this by a couple of days to May 3.

When/if your representative is decided, that person should please either PM me on Mafia Universe or reach me on Discord: Thingyman#6075. During evenings I will quickly check messages and get them the information they need to prepare for the game.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:11 pm UTC

also we need to have a meta mafia game like we did about 5 years ago, people got to submit players they wanted to be assigned, and they got assigned a role and "posting restriction" based on their meta (the posting restriction was more, "have fun with it", than an actual rule).

just becuase i want people to impersonate bessie and i especially want to declare that if bessie plays she has to choose me because i want to see her somehow emulate my playstyle and go bonkers trying to give reads without giving reads :lol:

(i think someone played as wam and completely nailed the spelling/grammar stuff)

(i would offer to mod but a) i think i've modded a lot lately and other people have things they want to mod and b) i'm really not very knowledgeable about metas the same way someone like sabrar is)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:00 pm UTC

Madge wrote:just becuase i want people to impersonate bessie and i especially want to declare that if bessie plays she has to choose me because i want to see her somehow emulate my playstyle and go bonkers trying to give reads without giving reads :lol:

That sounds hilarious and also quite diffcult to do (I mean impersonating in general).
—◯-◯

wam

Postby wam » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:18 pm UTC

I want to see how annoyed sabrar gets at someone playing as sabrar.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:19 pm UTC

Madge wrote:also we need to have a meta mafia game like we did about 5 years ago, people got to submit players they wanted to be assigned, and they got assigned a role and "posting restriction" based on their meta (the posting restriction was more, "have fun with it", than an actual rule).

I'm still uneasy about a meta game. I think there's a high potential that someone (OK it will most likely be me) will will go a little too far and unintentionally say something mean or hurtful. I did think about it a bit though... :P

You are bessie.
You’re usually the towniest player in the game, and with good reason. You’re usually Town, as you are in this game. Your posting restriction is that you must do a confirmation post analysis, setup speculation, and tunnel at least one of Madge, Carlington, or plytho.
Power: You are so obvitown, the mod may as well confirm it. You are an Innocent Child and may choose to have the mod publicly confirm your alignment. The mod will also provide you with the alignment distribution numbers (town/mafia/indie), which you probably already guessed anyway.

You are freezeblade.
Hey, you’re freezeblade, and the RNG hates you, so of course you rolled Mafia. But regardless of alignment, you still hate D1. Your posting restriction is that you must use the phrase “D1 sucks” in every third post.
Power: The ultimate irony; you’re a Godfather.

You are HBC | YOLOSWAG.
So who’s town? Who’s scum? You don’t care. You’re the Serial Killer, and you’re going to kill ‘em all. Your posting restriction is that all your posts should be full swag.
Power: If by some miracle you are not lynched on D1, on N1 you are in full YOLO mode and you will have a Strongman Ninja kill, and all investigations on you will return no result.

You are Evil George Washington.
JFC, give me a chance to catch up! Your posting restriction is that you must make at least 100 posts in a day phase to activate your power.
Power: Because of your overwhelming charisma, you are lynchproof. You may also select one player and control their vote.

You are jimbobmacdoodle.
What? Another wall-of-text? Your posting restriction is that you must make at least one post every RL day that is at least 2000 words.
Power: Well, you are jimbob; you may Rolecop another player.

You are Madge.
It’s always all about you you you, isn’t it? Your posting restriction is that at least 80% of your content must be about your personal life. You want to do more analysis? Then talk more about yourself. You must also breadcrumb something (your role, a night result, etc).
Power: Regardless of your scummy meta, Sabrar will never allow you to die. He is your Guardian Angel, and if you are lynched or night killed, Sabrar will die in your place. :lol: :P

You are BoomFrog.
You are brilliant, clever, witty, and, well, you are BoomFrog. Your posting restriction is that to activate your power , during the day you must be scummy enough to have at least a third of the votes on you, and still manage not to be lynched.
Power: Because mere mortals can never really know the mystery of BoomFrog, you are a Commuter, and will spend the night in your Ivory Tower.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:28 pm UTC

Bow gifted by adnapemit.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:31 pm UTC

Bessie that is a good start!

Original game viewtopic.php?f=53&t=101040

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:35 pm UTC

Im curious to know what the Heury role power would be haha.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Return to “Mafia”