The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:45 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
If I don't inherit the kill until Vicarin officially flips tomorrow morning then I'm royally screwed as I will need 3 mislynches and Mark can probably target bessie again N4 (I'm hoping he can't target the same person twice in a row). Btw I think town claimed too much about the restrictions of their abilities, allowing scum to navigate around them (e.g. I don't need to worry about mpolo jailing me ever again).

Of course if I don't inherit the kill at all then I can just reveal myself tomorrow and end the game quickly...

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:57 pm UTC

WoT 3

Spoiler:
Here I was thinking the game was going to immediately end because I didn't realise Sabrar would inherit the kill. Would have shot bessie last night otherwise. Oh well...

My ultra-desperation plan was for people to buy someone bring the cult leader, I shoot mpolo this night because I know I can get past his jailing like that, and then hopefully people might buy some silliness about a scum mentor existing (which I would find slightly more likely than a full cult) and hopefully get another lynch through, putting it at 2-2 which gives a win. Not terribly likely, but all I could do there really.

I find it stupidly hilarious how Sabrar is the person who's thwarted me at every goddamn stage of the game. Jimbob, this stuff right here is why a traitor is nowhere near as good as a full member dammit. Also no pregame chat was reaaaaallly hard. And no power safeclaims. And town being goddamn loaded with PRs :P

It's a shame all this amazing town credit Sabrar has will be ruined if he gets copped, which I think is pretty inevitable, otherwise we'd have a half decent chance.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:36 pm UTC

WoT 3 some @moody

Spoiler:
Think the big turning point was not being able to get through a bessie or NL D2 and instead having wam get lynched, as that was a goddamn disaster. Hopefully people think bessie is culted for some reason and Sabrar pulls out the most amazing victory ever.

@moody: yeah, I was having a lot of fun there on the last day. Don't believe me when I tell the truth? Fine, have a bunch of lies! Wine goddamn everywhere!

Well, at least I got my 2nd wincon. That nobody believed I had. Good times. I think that they're a bit hard to balance between people though. I did find it funny that the one I didn't think would be toooo hard was given to Madge, who has basically no way of getting it.

Actually, the one I liked the most was the researcher one, just because the ter'angreal actually has a game effect too (I didn't target that person maliciously no siree, I was just passing the ter'angreal).

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:47 am UTC

Wot3
Spoiler:
I feel town is in a pretty good position. It's gonna be tough for Sabrar two stay hidden for two more days. I'm glad I never claimed tracking mpolo on n1 seeing as I was redirected and my new target was roleblocked. Would have made things confusing for a bit.

@wam
Just curious to know when you are going to put your utter chaos game in sign ups
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:51 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
As everybody but me was surely aware, I did not inherit the kill. Last chance is actual cult...

Sorry Vicarin. :(

wam

Postby wam » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:19 am UTC

@wam
Just curious to know when you are going to put your utter chaos game in sign ups

Hopefully tonight!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:26 am UTC

Wheel of Time 3

Spoiler:
Aw crap, the game’s not over.

LaserDude wrote:Note also: Vic suggesting heury was redirected does not make a lot of sense here. Scum redirecting bessie is. Scum is not afraid of heury at end of D1. They're afraid of bessie.

Been laughing over this one. Scum doesn’t fear me. I am almost never night killed. On this page, I was night killed in Crossover, Shakespeare, and The Dark Tower. So, it’s mostly just you. :P

Which means I might actually live through the night. Aaaarrrrgghhh. jimbobmacdoodle, this is really cruel. Tomorrow I’m going to have to choose between my brain read Boomfrog and my soulread Sabrar.

I guess I should pick a cop target in case.

will I wake up

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:37 am UTC

Wot3

Spoiler:
seriously i have NO CLUE what the HECK is happening I am really suspicious of boomfrog so i'm going to trust mpolo to block/doctor him which is good because those are the two things i would toss up between doing, and now i am going to just target laserguy with protect because why not disobey boomfrog directly
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:44 am UTC

Wheel of Time 3:
Spoiler:
Sadly, it looks like this isn't going to turn into a crazy everybody shouting at each other and being super-confused/concerned about cult, because bessie has targeted Sabrar. I kind of wish I could retroactively make him godfather, just to see what happens. But that would make me a bad mod...
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Someone please put me out of my misery...

wam

Postby wam » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:54 pm UTC

Game is in signups, someone who doesn't want to play but is willing to look over the setup would be helpful.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:19 pm UTC

Wot3
Spoiler:
it doesn't make sense to me that sabrar didn't inherit the night kill yet. Was jimbob going to wait for the following night to give it? I inherited moody's ability the nighe he died.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:23 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
So let's recap my 'accomplishments' from this game so far:
D1: I force Vicarin into a losing position because I think moody is scum.
D2: I out and lynch wam because I think BoomFrog is scum.
D3: I lynch my only remaining ally because I presume to know how the mechanics will work.
D4: I'm curious to see how I can screw this up even more...

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:27 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:So let's recap my 'accomplishments' from this game so far:
D1: I force Vicarin into a losing position because I think moody is scum.
D2: I out and lynch wam because I think BoomFrog is scum.
D3: I lynch my only remaining ally because I presume to know how the mechanics will work.
D4: I'm curious to see how I can screw this up even more...

:lol: your best scum game yet!
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:55 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3 @heuristically_alone:
Spoiler:
I specifically decided beforehand that Sabrar wouldn't inherit the kill immediately, as a partial reward to town for eliminating the main scum team. Unfortunately, they seem to have done far too well at things, and nothing is going scum's way, so this seems extra harsh in the current state of the game.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:01 pm UTC

@wam: Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to play in your game, which is frustrating, as I kind of wanted to try a high-bastard game, but I'm away the first week of September, and two weeks in October, when I won't have much, if any, playing time. I could probably help review the setup though, and otherwise act as co-mod, if you want.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:48 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Ok, 3 main scenarios are possible:

1. Setup was 8-2-1, I do not inherit the kill at all. This is basically a guaranteed loss as I will need 5 mislynches to win but bessie will check me before we get there and there is no chance in hell we would lynch her.
2. Setup was 8-2-1, I inherit the kill only after the official flip of Vicarin. I wouldn't be too happy with this resolution as we found each other with scum meaning I shouldn't have to wait to get the nk. Anyway bessie will check mpolo tonight, I need to kill bessie tomorrow and get people to block Mark. After that I play it by ear.
3. Setup was 7-2-1-1 with last unknown being cult leader or other kind of anti-town indie. I actually find cult very unlikely (even if they have some limitation), seems like town would be very weak from the start. This would offer me the best chances, provided I manage to not lynch the last ally I could possibly have...

Still, I think 1 is the most likely to happen.
@spectators: should I fall on my sword so we can start wam's game early? :roll:

wam

Postby wam » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:38 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@wam: Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to play in your game, which is frustrating, as I kind of wanted to try a high-bastard game, but I'm away the first week of September, and two weeks in October, when I won't have much, if any, playing time. I could probably help review the setup though, and otherwise act as co-mod, if you want.

That's a shame but would be helpful.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:06 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Really hope I get N3 result before bed. No pressure jimbob. :lol:

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:05 am UTC

Wheel of Time 3:
Spoiler:
How I see today going: everybody becomes convinced there is a cult (or possibly a second scum faction), and maybe that Vicarin was actually a member of it, not with wam (that appears to be what LaserGuy is thinking, but the fact that Vicarin had ninja should cancel that fear a little). Bessie's scum result combined with Sabrars's apparent lack of a ilities/bulletproofness lends them to think that Sabrar is the cult leader, with the bulletproof being to prevent an unfortunate N1 death. Sabrar gets lynched, for the wrong reasons, and game over with town victory.

If I'd made Sabrar Godfather, this day could have been very different... I would have expected BoomFrog followed by Madge to be lynched.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:26 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
I think I had a good chance of winning this if there's no forced skip of the nk. :evil:
Unless of course Madge blocked me in which case everything is moot.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:48 am UTC

WoT3

Spoiler:
And noone comments on my impossible secondary wincon actually being true, heh.

I do find it funny how me ending up with that extra 3rd ability, which was to help out wam with claiming, might actually make town really paranoid. But it probably won't be enough.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:51 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
I was too aggressive in my reply to BoomFrog. That's a pretty sure scum-tell for me that I need to work on, I get defensive very quickly. Hopefully I can explain it away, luckily I should be mechanically cleared as scum!me would definitely have done something to bessie last night.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:14 pm UTC

WoT3

Spoiler:
Couple of points I'm seeing here. First off is the absolute mayhem anti-town forces can cause by not killing during the night. In this game it was purely accidental, but it just proves why SDK was so dangerous when he did that. The tradeoff is that you extend the game that way and give town powers a chance to find you. Second is that some people are giving any credence whatsoever to the cult theory seeing as it a. was proposed by admitted scum, and b. would seem to be ruled out on game size alone. Basically I would give 15 as the lower limit for a game to even possibly have a cult.

Hopefully bessie and BoomFrog can pull out a win for town; course I suspect she's probably the kill N4 if they don't get Sabrar toDay. It's a damn good thing they have two mislynches to play with.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:35 pm UTC

WoT3

Spoiler:
Cult was pretty unlikely, but I'd say a scum mentor as another scum faction would probably work in a setup this size, it's what I was going to try to claim was the case the day after if they went along with the BoomFrog lynch.

Also LaserGuy nails another bit of speculation, dang!

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:26 am UTC

@madge
Settler's of catan tournament? I'm so jealous! You're living the life I want to live.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:39 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:@madge
Settler's of catan tournament? I'm so jealous! You're living the life I want to live.

Madge is my idol on so many levels, I could not admire anyone more than I do her. :)

Wheel of Time 3
Spoiler:
What, no D4 post from me yet? How bessie-meta of me. :shock:

Interesting, Sabrar was prepared to be copped since N1. It must have driven him mad waiting until D4. I see he was up at 4 am Saturday to reply to my claim. He was up at 4 am today too. Is he worried that the lynch could swing to him? Or does he have something else to hide?

Ok, right now I’m at a loss as to what to do next. I’m not a great scum hunter or a gut player and I don’t trust my behavior or meta type reads. I’m a mechanical player in that I analyze results and flips, and I nitpick little technical things I see wrong in other players posts and tunnel until they break down or I’m proven wrong. There are currently no contradictory claims, and I’ve tunneled myself out on Vicarin and wam. I could go after BoomFrog but I’d only be repeating stuff that LaserGuy’s already brought up. I need a partner to play off of or I’m worthless. That partner is usually Sabrar (or SDK) even when we’re on different teams, or plytho or jimbob will work too. I’m not there with LaserGuy yet, and my relationship with BoomFrog is, . . . complicated :P (but isn’t everything with BoomFrog complicated?). Even with the high post count, Sabrar is mostly absent and distant from this game content-wise, which fits perfectly with his survivor claim, and it’s made a lot of this game difficult and miserable for me. IIRC, there are a couple different places where SDK says how much he hates playing survivor. Sabrar, are you telling the truth? I don’t think you are telling the complete truth, but I also don’t see you as the last non-town faction, I think there is someone else too.

Vicarin, I’m really sorry for rehashing the past in this post. I’m not trying to settle any scores or get the last word, and I cut as much as I could out. But I needed to show a logical progression for my thoughts circling back to BoomFrog, as they do every way I look at it.

All right, I’m working on my updated setup spec. So, BoomFrog or Madge. Hmmm.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:44 pm UTC

WoT3

Spoiler:
Kind of surprised that everyone seems to be buying the survivor claim right now, but cool I guess? Main issue seems to be what's going to happen if Sabrar gets into a final 3 and then no scum steps forward...

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:57 pm UTC

Wot3
Spoiler:
Sabrar not getting the night kill last night just might save him for a day or two, but there just arent enough scummy players left for him to survive the game. Really his selection of night kills is the on my thing that might give him a chance to win.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:31 am UTC

WoT3 @jimbob

Spoiler:
Hey, just wondering if you could share what Sabrar's ability is, I don't think he's mentioned it in spoilers so far, and I'm wondering if it'll be helpful.

Also kind of want to know all the secondary wincons and who submitted them but that's probably easier after the game.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:50 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:WoT3 @jimbob

Spoiler:
Hey, just wondering if you could share what Sabrar's ability is, I don't think he's mentioned it in spoilers so far, and I'm wondering if it'll be helpful.

Also kind of want to know all the secondary wincons and who submitted them but that's probably easier after the game.
Wheel of Time 3:
Spoiler:
Sabrar has an anonymous vote power. Overnight, he can choose to vote for one player, in addition to any other vote he places during the day (although the anonymous vote can never be on the same player as his regular vote). It's intended to be a power to cause confusion and to work alongside other scum, but he's holding it back for some reason.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 am UTC

Wheel of Time 3:
Spoiler:
Comments like mpolo's flavour theory for recruitment or the various ideas about setup/secondary win cons etc make me wish they were in the game. I mean, being able to recruit only specific people like mpolo suggested makes a lot of sense.

But alas, it's a little late to change the setup... For reference, mpolo's alignment as a Black Ajah member is completely irrelevant to the game, just like it says in his role PM.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

wam

Postby wam » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:50 am UTC

Anyone else for chaos mafia?

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:38 pm UTC

wam wrote:Anyone else for chaos mafia?

Hmmm. I have a RL situation coming up, and my participation levels will be reduced by about half.

(I'll send you a pm.)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:30 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Every time I check the forum and see the notification that someone posted in the thread my stomach does a little flip and I wonder whether the latest post is the start of the final train on me...
And this will remain the same for the next couple of weeks should I miraculously survive... :?

Edit: if a successful doc save is also revealed via flavour then I'm potentially screwed beyond belief...

Extremely late edit: I thought about leaving bessie alive because she's no longer a threat and would offer a nice distraction with all the talk about GF. However the most likely scenario where I get lynched is because town figures out the setup and no longer looks for cult.
Therefore she has to go (but only after Mark).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:22 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
So I just realized that if we ever get to a 2 vs 1 LYLO then it will be really suspicious when none of the town players will reveal themselves as scum and ask me to help them win. Therefore I need to organize a mislynch in 3 vs 1 MYLO instead. This just gets better and better...

Edit: I probably need BoomFrog lynched today as he's the only one likely to block me.

Edit2: no, I worked out what must happen. Votes must be split between Mark and BoomFrog to the point where BF is forced to vote. We lynch Mark and I can kill bessie tonight. Tomorrow we lynch BoomFrog and I withhold. D6 is played by ear (and also might be time for the ULTRA GAMBIT) but Madge needs to be forced to vote or convinced to misuse her ability. We have a plan ladies and gentlemen!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:45 pm UTC

WoT3

Spoiler:
I know it's not really pro-town, but I almost want a mislynch just to see how much Sabrar can squirm on D5. Plus it'd give wam more chance to drum up players for his game.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:40 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Maybe I should withhold tonight... If there is a death while I'm not blocked they might think I have an even-night NK. If I can avoid another night of being blocked however and still no deaths then there should be no more suspicion on me. We can mislynch BoomFrog or Mark or mpolo tomorrow, then I can jump into action and execute the GAMBIT with the same result were I to withhold tomorrow instead of tonight.

Edit: ok, BoomFrog will block me but it shouldn't matter, I just lose some non-existing credibility.
Actually it might be even good for me because then he probably won't be able to block me tomorrow.

Late edit: I've just realized that there is a much simpler gambit available. I just withhold any kills until we're down to 4-player MYLO and then strike suddenly. Outed Vanilla Goon FTW. :D

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:13 pm UTC

wot3

Spoiler:
well i for one am glad i don't have to make any decisions about who lives and dies moving forward, because i don't know what's going o n. can't wait to be officially dead and read spoilers.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:04 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3:
Spoiler:
It's amazing how easily everybody bought Sabrar's Survivor claim. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'd have been pushing for his lynch, I think, as soon as there was a non-town verdict on him. His bulletproof claim even fits with a potential Cult Leader/Serial Killer ability, since it prevents them being ended by an unfortunate Mafia kill shot.

He's not trying to kill anybody tonight, and BoomFrog is blocking him anyway. But BF is giving Sabrar the ter'angreal too, which is going to look even weirder in some ways! Maybe Sabrar will finally get a point towards his secondary win con? I think there's a not unreasonable chance of BoomFrog or Mark getting lynched tomorrow, which probably means MYLO D6 (Sabrar, mpolo, Mark/BF, LG being my guess, with bessie dying N5 to the kill, since it would be guaranteed to be successful).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Return to “Mafia”