The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

BoomFrog

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:14 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
I predict Madge is vanilla town and false claiming to attract the NK.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:24 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Zen's vote actually makes me feel more comfortable. As plytho said, being seen as super townie is weird for me. In other news, I saw wam visiting BoomFrog N1, so wam is a PR, likely not scum but I can't say that for certain being there are two, and he could have been rolestopping.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:45 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Well, the game seems all wrapped up from here now. Which of course, probably means that we've screwed up royally somehow and we're going to lose horribly :P

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:17 am UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Hmmm, how likely is it that one of the people who's suddenly reading me as town is a gunsmith who targeted me. I wonder...

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:37 am UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
You know, BoomFrog being a gunsmith who targeted me overnight would explain an awful lot. He had seemed weirdly reserved, and now he's flipping his read very definitively on me despite claiming that he had big issues reading me in general on D1.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:08 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Woof...

That reads list took a couple hours and several rereads to compose. I'm pretty confident that SuperJedi doesn't have a buddy though unless it's mpolo.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
BFrog wrote:My gut still says town, but if we misslynch until LYLO and Zen is still alive, lynch Zen. I'm serious, if I'm dead and that situation comes up and I am ignored I will frown at everyone sternly from beyond the grave.
I almost posted the exact same thing about BoomFrog at one point. :lol:

@BoomFrog: you have amazing reads (and instincts) if you take the time. You just need to learn that some of us are weird and not judge immediately. :wink:

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:39 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Ohhh, I bet that's Sabrar commenting on my reads list...

Either he's disappointed that I'm not trusting him on the Vic connection or he's happy that I finally came around to the Mark connection. Probably the second one... hopefully.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:13 am UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
So the gambit this game was the "ungambit". I wouldn't do a gambit and then see how people reacted to that. A couple reasons I decided to go that way. 1) I realized Vicarin was denied having a "normal" game experience in NNY and I wanted Jedi to have a normal game instead of D1 craziness to deal with so he'd have a baseline for future games. 2) I wanted to prove to Vicarin that the chance of a good lynch on D1 is quite low, and narrowing things to 1 scum out of 2 people is quite good, and the gambits have value.

The results were pretty mild and I didn't feel worth analyzing. Basically Sabrar pulled a gambit that wasn't a gambit. I think he was not originally very dedicated to his Bessie vote but Bessie's too tame reaction convinced him that she was scum. Town Bessie has much more righteous fury when she knows her accusers are wrong. ( I almost don't want to post this observation because I'm encouraging Bessie to argue more... )

Anyway, I'm super bored this game. Time to start planning the next shenanigan.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:15 am UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Still getting the feeling that BoomFrog is either a gunsmith who checked me, or scum trying to get brownie points with me by reading me as town. That reversal in confidence was just huge. Though I still think the former is significantly more likely, so I have to not blow his cover accidentally :P

Or maybe he's merely trying to APPEAR to be a gunsmith....... :shock:

Dammit BoomFrog.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:21 pm UTC

Texas Hold’em Mafia

Spoiler:
LaserGuy wrote:I have no idea why either of you thought I would ever answer this sort of question. I was telling you mafia had safe claims to be nice and to preempt any thoughts of mass claiming (though mass claim is already really bad for Town actually), not so that you could go on a fishing expedition as to the mechanics.
Agree with you on this. I have very often in the past tended to focus on “gaming the game” as I am not really a great scumhunter, but I am somewhat successful at figuring out game mechanics, like setup spec. However, my thoughts and feelings about “gaming the game” and “gaming the mod” have evolved over the years I have been playing.

LaserGuy wrote:I'm also confused why people think I would be changing my answer between a private question and a public one.
+1, QFT, etc, and I’m puzzled about how anyone would have even thought this was a remote possibility (Vicarin , plytho). And I’m even more puzzled as to why some players didn’t have more of an opinion on this (wam, BoomFrog). :?

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:3 things of the utmost importance, y'all.

1. Lynch Zen.
Well you did warn them........

LaserGuy wrote:Scum is in some trouble here. Vic lynch is basically a given at this point, but if Mark is lynched next it's kind of a disaster since the trackers can clear people very easily, and he's pretty vulnerable to either lynch or even vig at this point.
I would agree with you, as it doesn’t currently look good for scum. But something in the back of my mind keeps saying REMEMBER WHO THEY’RE DEALING WITH.

I’m having a lot of anxiety right now because I’m eventually going to have to come to terms with killing Sabrar and removing him from the game he loves.

the ever-insightful mpolo wrote:Why couldn't town!Vicarin have been totally fooled by the wily bessie and her mad hell-hound of death? (just kidding about your dog, bessie, but since you were scum…)

:shock: Hahahahawoof.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:51 am UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:I’m having a lot of anxiety right now because I’m eventually going to have to come to terms with killing Sabrar and removing him from the game he loves.
You're totally absolved, you were dead by the time it happened so all responsibility is on Zen. :D

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:21 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
I wanna know what's in those spoilers SO BAD but there's no way I'm going to get NKed without looking like a PR first, and it looks like I've convinced enough people that I'm townie that I should be ok, at least for the time being.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:58 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em.
Spoiler:
Looks like wam+Mark are desperately clinging to Bessie's dying instructions to go after Vic.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:46 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Going to feel like such a fool if scum! BoomFrog merely wants me to think he's a gunsmith, bah...

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:54 am UTC

Texas Hol'em

Spoiler:
So, I'm the real vig-shady! Here's the target list I sent LaserGuy:

1. Mark
2. Zenii
3. Wam

(sorry mark.... Sabrar fingered you and you wanting me to claim suit is weird)

@Sabrar: i hope I can sheep you for an easy win.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:36 am UTC

Texas
Spoiler:
"Did you move him in the list? If so, why if it's not ordered?" This is the scummiest statement I've made all game, but is too enticing to pass up. I wonder if wam is intentionally playing scummy at this point. nb4 innochild

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:54 am UTC

Texas

Spoiler:
M wrote:Texas Hol'em

So, I'm the real vig-shady! Here's the target list I sent LaserGuy:

1. Mark
2. Zenii
3. Wam

(sorry mark.... Sabrar fingered you and you wanting me to claim suit is weird)

@Sabrar: i hope I can sheep you for an easy win.

So... game could be over today. Madge has excellent instincts.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 am UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Go Madge! :P :P :P

wam

Postby wam » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:13 am UTC

Texas

Spoiler:
wonder what's in all these spoilers. Let's hope lynch deosnt swing to me. Don't know why Zen was pushing for met to claim given he hasn't pushed anyone else to. Also my read of.boom improved as he didn't do the kill which is not definitive but helps. Obviously I can't say this though!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:34 pm UTC

Texas
Spoiler:
Mark may end up getting caught today. He's planning on claiming Q of Diamonds, but that's wam's card. If Mark is lynched on counterclaim and Zen is shot by Madge, that's the game.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:10 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
So much Gojoe discussion, aaarghhh...

If plytho has been bussed into the position of most townie, we're probably not going to realistically figure that out without a gunsmith or finding the other scum first.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:00 am UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
I like these moments where I feel like a genius for solving the game before the reality of the flips proves me wrong.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

wam

Postby wam » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:23 am UTC

Texas

Spoiler:
unlucky Mark that's my role! So that's 2 out of 3.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 pm UTC

Texas

Spoiler:
I think wam and boom are masons? Maybe. Or wam has seen boom target mark himself. Idk
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:23 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Well, this is exciting. Guess my guess about BoomFrog will be resolved one way or another.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:44 pm UTC

Texas

Spoiler:
for those watching I basically want to see if boom claims vt or claims a power role and ends up making his life difficult.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:33 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
"And the only reason you'd be excited about a tracker claim but want me to claim first is if you are going to claim tracker and tracked me." --BoomFrog about wam

If wam were to actually do that, I could at least confirm wam visited BoomFrog. Still possible wam had some other scum PR.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:20 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Hmm, I had some reasoning for asking BoomFrog to go first but I've kind of lost it. Part of it is if wam is counterclaiming Mark we can catch him there and don't need BoomFrog for that. If wam isn't counterclaiming Mark he's claiming gunsmith. But why would he not vote BoomFrog at the start of D2? On the other hand, if wam is scum, why would he attack BoomFrog and push for the claim. The only info he might have is info he got from a rolecop. Oh, or a vanilla cop. Hmm. Anyway I don't think the order matters that much. There's enough going on to catch scum tomorrow if not today. If wam is scum we'll find out soon enough and if he isn't he's probably got scum so, pretty nice.

I did lose my genius feeling though.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:28 pm UTC

Texas:
Spoiler:
Guess I had better write that endgame flavor.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:10 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Well, that got really exciting quickly. Should be able to sort out the game pretty soon at this rate, the setup seems pretty town favoured with all the PRs we managed to roll.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:11 pm UTC

Zenii wrote:Texas
Spoiler:
I'm Town Vig

:lol:

Sabrar wrote:Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
BFrog wrote:My gut still says town, but if we misslynch until LYLO and Zen is still alive, lynch Zen. I'm serious, if I'm dead and that situation comes up and I am ignored I will frown at everyone sternly from beyond the grave.
I almost posted the exact same thing about BoomFrog at one point. :lol:

@BoomFrog: you have amazing reads (and instincts) if you take the time. You just need to learn that some of us are weird and not judge immediately. :wink:

Thank you. The early judging is all bluster to generate reactions. My best reads come from mid game when I can analyze connections. After that big read list my gut said Mark-Zen and everything after that was me listing out the possibilities. But then I went and cleared Zen on tone later. Sometimes I need to remember to listen to past me.

Vicarin wrote:Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
I want to bludgeon Sabrar over the head SO BAD with Bayes' Theorem for getting that analysis wrong, but it wouldn't be appreciated in thread. Oh. Well.

Thank you for your restraint.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:56 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
So the gambit this game was the "ungambit". I wouldn't do a gambit and then see how people reacted to that. A couple reasons I decided to go that way. 1) I realized Vicarin was denied having a "normal" game experience in NNY and I wanted Jedi to have a normal game instead of D1 craziness to deal with so he'd have a baseline for future games. 2) I wanted to prove to Vicarin that the chance of a good lynch on D1 is quite low, and narrowing things to 1 scum out of 2 people is quite good, and the gambits have value.

The results were pretty mild and I didn't feel worth analyzing. Basically Sabrar pulled a gambit that wasn't a gambit. I think he was not originally very dedicated to his Bessie vote but Bessie's too tame reaction convinced him that she was scum. Town Bessie has much more righteous fury when she knows her accusers are wrong. ( I almost don't want to post this observation because I'm encouraging Bessie to argue more... )

Anyway, I'm super bored this game. Time to start planning the next shenanigan.

Well, now we've got 1 data point that fits the "No BoomGambit" and "Beyond perfect town victory (not even a N2 NK oh yeah)" categories :P

I think people will manage to find something to talk about on D1 even without explicit gambits.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:32 pm UTC

But... it was so boring...

SuperJedi224

Postby SuperJedi224 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:45 pm UTC

This is the thread you're supposed to post game ideas in before adding them to the queue, right?
My youtube channel.

New avatar by adnapemit.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:04 am UTC

Yes, this is an appropriate place to talk about ideas

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:47 am UTC

The Egg (Roles):
Spoiler:
Skylar the Elf

Why did the high priestess have to send YOU on this assignment. Surely you're worth more than mucking around in the woods with these filthy creatures? Nevertheless, you shan't complaint. The journey was surely worth it. You'd trek a thousand times over just to gaze upon it, the egg... You had never seen such beauty. Not even your own reflection could compare to its elegance.

And now one of them has stolen it. Surely it was that greedy dwarf. He could barely keep his hands off when the three of you found it. Then again, you had noticed the human stealing glances every so often...

Whatever the case, you must protect the egg and its extravagance at all costs. You don't want to get your hands too dirty though. You have your own beauty to protect.

Win conditions
1. Defeat the egg thief.
2. Be the most beautiful living player -- i.e, have the highest amount of hit points -- at the end of the game.

Stats
Starting HP (Hit Points): 15
Starting AP (Action Points): 20

Equipment & Abilities:

Telepathy
AP Cost: 1
Description: Sends a telepathic message to another player. PM the mod with the message and to whom it is directed to.

Steel Dagger
AP Cost: 3
Strength: 2
Value: 10
Description: A standard dagger.

Mielikki's Bow
AP Cost: 5
Strength: 3 (per player)
Value: 500
Description: Deals damage to every other player.

Eye of Vicarin
Value: 100
Description: View the current HP of another player.

Reflective Amulet
AP Cost: 5
Value: 1000
Description: If attacked during the next action, will reflect the resulting damage upon the attacker.

Spoiler:
Domkin the Dwarf

THOSE *******! YOU KNEW YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN IT WHEN YOU HAD THE CHANCE. DONT TOUCH IT, THEY SAID. IT WILL POSSESS YOUR SOUL, THEY SAID. LIARS! THESE TWO WERE GREEDIER THAN A MOUNTAIN OF DWARFS. FOR ALL YOU KNOW, THE TWO OF THEM ARE IN CAHOOTS. WELL, YOU WONT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT. IF YOU CAN'T HAVE THE EGG, NO ONE CAN.

Win conditions
1. Defeat the egg thief.
2. Be the wealthiest living player -- i.e, have the highest total value of items -- at the end of the game.

Stats
Starting HP (Hit Points): 20
Starting AP (Action Points): 10

Equipment & Abilities

Appraise
Description: Determine the value of a named item.

Steal
AP Cost: 8
Description: Steal a specified item from a specified player.

Flaming Axe of Aldragon
AP Cost: 3
Strength: 4
Value: 50
Description: Said to have been forged from dragon's breath. Pierces through steel and lesser armor.

Boom's Gambit
AP Cost: 0
Description: Who know's what will happen.

Steel Armor
Strength: 1
Value: 50

Gold
Value: 500

Dwarfian Law of Unequivalent Exchange
Description: Gain an AP every time you profit from a trade or gift, lose an AP every time you lose from a trade or gift.

Spoiler:
Mike the Human

You're just a human, and an average one at that. You don't live hundreds of years or have any special powers. But what you do have is cunning, courage, and willpower. Oh, and guns. Lots of guns.

Mankind's industrial vigor has created weaponry that no other race thought possible. It is the lust for enterprise that has kept man prosperous in world of magical beings. That is why you had to take it, the egg. The elves would have stored it away in some temple to be doted upon. The dwarfs would have hoarded it away with all of their other gaudy treasures. But you will use it. To build and create. To protect and destroy... You wont allow it to be locked away -- its power unharnessed.

Win conditions
1. Defeat your companions.

Stats
Starting HP (Hit Points): 15
Starting AP (Action Points): 10

Equipment & Abilities

Pistol
AP Cost: 0
Rounds: 6 Steel Rounds; 2 Strength each.
Value: 25
Description: A standard pistol.

Semi-Automatic Crossbow
Rounds: 2 Sappy Arrows (Prevents a player from using an action until another player uses an action)
Value: 40
Description: This ain't your grandpa's crossbow.

Diamond Dagger
AP Cost: 20
Strength: 10
Value: 300
Description: A rare blade.

Madge Staff
AP Cost (Attack): 1
AP Cost (Heal): 2
Strength: 1
Heal: 2
Value: 150
Description: 10x more resilient than the strongest of Mage staves. Takes out zenii armor in a single blow.

The Egg
Value: 1,000,000
Description: Absorbs the souls of defeated enemies. For each soul acquired, grants the wielder 100 AP.

Gold
Value: 100

Fake Win Conditions:
1. Defeat the Egg thief.
2. Be the most productive living player -- i.e, have the highest amount of action points -- at the end of the game.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 am UTC

The Egg
Spoiler:
Oh boy, Eye of Vicarin, Boom's Gambit, and Staff of Madge (which is super effective against Zenii). Good times.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:48 pm UTC

The egg
Spoiler:
50/50 if SuperJedi is the egg thief. But if he is and I don't fight back we lose. And if he's not, we lose no matter what I do. So to get my win chance back up to 50% I've got to fight back.

Hopefully, the reflective amulet makes him pause and think about things before just going all in.

Pretty sure I won't be able to get my second win condition unless I get super to fight wam.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:12 am UTC

The Egg (not a spoiler)

Okay, I was expecting this to just be one of those threads where people pretend to vote for each other and make up fake tells and invent their own powers just to be silly (you know: "I vig you" / "I USE MY SECRET RESURRECTION POWER TO RESSURECT. MY ressurection halo gives me a supercop next turn") .

This is .... an actual real game? I'm impressed. It looks like it took a heck of a lot of work, and for three players?! What a wonderful thing to have done for the forum. I eggerly watch.

The egg (actually a spoiler players be careful when quoting)
Spoiler:
(and the Madge staff... genius. It presumably has a "Sabrar" on one end, bayonet style, which is the real reason it's super effective against Zenii armour)

fun fact: back in high school when people called me Madge but I didn't know how it was actually spelled, I was playing Diablo II as a necromancer and I saw the "Skeleton Mages" and was like "haha it's Madge like my nickname that people call me even though I hate it, that's kind of neat"

Return to “Mafia”