The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:13 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018:
Spoiler:
Vicarin wrote:ping
And so I get to torture you once more... :twisted:
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:46 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018:
Spoiler:
So nice to play with Madge and Sabrar again!
I have the awesomest role!
This is going to be fun!

I hope I make it to D2 this year, though.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:39 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018:

Spoiler:
Why the hell is jimbob quoting me? I'm not even playing in this game right now! Arrrgghghhhh!!!!

:P

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:43 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018 (Vicarin can read)
Spoiler:
Ahhh the plans Jimbob and I have for you... :twisted:
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:54 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:Secret Santa 2018 (Vicarin can read)
Spoiler:
Ahhh the plans Jimbob and I have for you... :twisted:
Secret Santa 2018 (Vicarin can read):
Spoiler:
Hehehe... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (just don't read any spoilers, okay? :lol:).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:09 pm UTC

Well, that confirms the scum team of Vicarin, dimochka and jimbobmacdoodle, despite them not being in the player list.
GG all.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:05 pm UTC

SS 2018
Spoiler:
My private notes will be...

In scum chat :twisted:

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:10 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
I like the role I got. Well done to the inventor. I give people "coal" and then can investigate a player to see if they have ever been targeted by a coal player. It will be hard to get a useful result, but it could confirm or contradict other's claimed targeting. It's probably worse then standard tracker which is already fairly weak. Especially with this game likely having multiple targeting roles, I better give out the coal judiciously.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:16 pm UTC

Just in Case, Secret Santa
Spoiler:
I feel like I should be posting a spoiler, but I can't read the spoilers to know what I should be posting...
Last edited by SuicideJunkie on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:17 pm UTC

Secret Santa (SuicideJunkie may read now) (Sorry mods if this is over a line)
Spoiler:
SuicideJunkie wrote:I feel like I should be posting a spoiler, but I can't read the spoilers to know what I should be posting...

That should be a spoiler. Even saying you don't know what to post about the game gives info about the game.

I'd recommend editing it into a spoiler.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:24 pm UTC

Sandy Claws
Spoiler:
I just had a fun idea for a role to submit. Not that I hate the one I submitted previously, but a conversation at work about white elephant gift exchanges made me think of this:

You are the last player in a white elephant gift exchange, and have the option to either open the last present or to steal any other player's gift. Unfortunately, you were not paying any attention to the game, so you have no idea what presents the other players have.

On N0, you may either open the last present (and be assigned the ability that it contains), or you may target any other player to steal their ability(ies). That player will then be given the same N0 choice to open the final present or to target another player.

Note that each gift (player ability) can only be stolen once, and if a players tries to steal a gift that has already moved, the unopened gift will be automatically opened instead.

etc.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:27 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:I feel like I should be posting a spoiler, but I can't read the spoilers to know what I should be posting...

Have you read the spoilers from previous games? Different players use them for different things, but there is no obligation to post anything here (unless you have some bizarre role that requires you to post spoilers in this thread).

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:10 pm UTC

I'm not going to ask SuicideJunkie to edit his post now, unless he wants to, but please remember that all content regarding the Secret Santa game should be in spoilers from now on, no matter how innocuous it is, and should not be read by players until allowed.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 pm UTC

Secret Santa Spoilers Intensify:
Spoiler:
Not actually an obligatory Spoiler. Or is it?

Gotta get into game mode and spoilerify everything generously; tis the season for secrets.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:04 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
So I'm town and have a two-shot pseudo-cop thing where I make up Santa's nice and naughty list, and get the number of wrong guesses back. The nice thing is that it works if I'm really on it (0-2 mistakes), or have a really horrible read a la Vicarin in wam's chaos (10 mistakes). N1 use is very likely as it will generate the most info, second time will be night before LYLO most likely.

[TPIR]
Oh mighty sound effects lady, did I get all three scum right?

*crickets*
[/TPIR]
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:39 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
VT claim in first post in Secret Santa? Yeah right....

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:30 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
So if you couldn't already tell I'm experimenting with something new. For a long time I wanted to try out the post-restriction invented by bessie for me here and this game looked like the perfect opportunity. At the last moment I backed down because it seemed to be too much against the spirit of the 'no lurking' rule. Should have cleared with the mod I suppose...
So now I'm restricting myself to the recommended minimum, 1 post / IRL day (with weekends counting half so my next contribution should be on Sunday). Basically playing like bessie. I will aim to react to each post though, wonder if I can manage it. Also we'll see if just observing and not driving the discussion will present me with new reads.

Also I really wanted to read bessie as townie (so I could be neighbors with her) but it's just not happening yet. Still, plenty of time until the night.

PS: I'm still debating whether (in case anyone asks) I should claim a post-restriction, or emphatically deny it to make it appear like I did... :D

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:21 pm UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
SuicideJunkie wrote:Random voting sounds like a great shield to hide behind if you're scum. Blame the dice; odds are it will be a vote for town!
But it also needs to be prepared as an excuse to use by being random in previous games. So if you want to use the gambit, you need to use it while you're town too.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think people would (should?) believe in "random" if there isn't a history of it.

If this is scum pretending to be a newbie, it's bloody excellent. Never would've thought of taking "random vote" to mean "actual certified random" isntead of "voting someone for an amusingly flippant reason".
—◯-◯ FG Discord

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:46 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
So, I'm a reflector: I reflect powers onto the person who targeted me. I'm trying to work out whether I help town or scum by claiming.

First need to know if roleblock stops me reflecting or not.

Assume all scum roles will be bad, and thus benefit from reflecting.

Laserguy pointed out that scum knows 3 submitted roles between them, which may include my role, so I'm thinking the risk of scum knowing what it is is too great.

Anyway, here's how each power will affect me:

roleblock - either makes me targetable, or effectively roleblocks the roleblocker
cop - will either townread me (or scumread me if cop is miller), or get a result on themselves
doc - will self-protect which is good because town!doc is better than me
tracker - will see me self-target, i guess, or see themselves target me. neutral.
watcher - will see whoever targets them - might think the people who targeted them targeted me. possibly can fuck us up big time later.

I'm thinking claiming miller might be best, because then cops won't target me, as that's my biggest concern. Maybe claim "investigative abilities don't work properly on me", but that'd give scum too much information.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:00 pm UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
Well, I suppose the easiest way to appear townie is to actually be townie, and not know who the scum are. Makes life easier for me!

wam

Postby wam » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:25 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
so haven't made a gojoe post yet. I'm calling the setup 8-2-2. I'm mafia again let's see if I can have a good mafia game unlike my previous ones!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:13 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
So I was getting a little bit impatient, sue me :D
It's already Sunday here though so technically I kept my word...

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:32 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:Think if I was going to do an overly complicated time travel game I'd take inspiration from one of my favourite games, Achron, seeing as they managed to make time travel work in a PvsP RTS, which sounds completely impossible.
How does this work? I'm thinking of getting. The reviews are pretty mixed.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:11 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't know whether I'd actually call it a good game, but the way it handles time travel for 2 people in real time is amazing. And probably too long to describe in detail here, I'd recommend watching a video of someone playing it or hit me up with a PM.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:37 pm UTC

Secret Santa:

Spoiler:
Current thoughts on the game.

-LaserGuy seems like his standard town self with the proposal of an almost certainly bad plan (not even I want a mass claim D1 :P). Only worry is that his only scum game I've seen in depth is Meta mafia, where he had the roleplaying to help cover changes. Would have to go back and read another scum game of his, but he's probably changed since then. One day, he'll use the bad plan proposal as scum...

-Marks reads are absolutely atrocious, come on. If he's being somewhat lazy as either town or scum. He's also not tried to do a reads list this early before, and decided to spoiler comments that would take up less space unspoiled. Pretty scummy tbh.

-I await Sabrar's next post with anticipation, scum reading him off his content level being drastically different would be premature. Wondering if he's got an ability that only works if people quote him directly or something, this posting style could be a decent way to do it.

-Madge is not being terribly useful on D1, and I think scum reading her for the reasons bessie provides to be entirely fair.

-MoA is pretty scummy.

-bessie is more active than usual, probably town.

-SuicideJunky is interesting... Most of what they're doing seems pretty bad to do, and would be explained by newbieness, but Sabrar seems to think he isn't a newbie. Buddy slip? Hmmmm...

Everyone else seems rather standard, not comfortable trying to sort them on this amount of information, and I probably shouldn't bother because it'll be a waste of time if I don't replace. Heh.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:51 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
bessie take my energy and feel inspired by me making these spoiler posts :D.

Unless you're scum, in which case don't :P.

Unless I am too :P.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:26 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
bessiedog wrote:
wam wrote:Been thinking about this comment and your right. I think it goes further than this though, I think generally it takes me a while to get into games and this is why I'm always scummy day 1.
Hahaha not true.

This was actually true but not going to have this argument with Bessie in thread.

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:02 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
I feel kinda bad about voting wam again D1. I hope someone else does some scummy stuff so I can vote them.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:34 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
Keeping with the '1 game-post = 1 Gojoe post' format it is now time for my usual rant. My ability is to invent things but the more exotic the effects the more likely that it will include some drawbacks. Unfortunately there is basically no indication of the severity or the nature of the drawbacks, leaving me with basically 2 options:
- create standard stuff (hand out Cop-investigations or Bulletproof Vests to townie people), which is boring and not totally in the spirit of the submission in my opinion;
- or to go 'crazy' and do the really fun stuff like creating a 'private' chat for the 3-4 people I find most townie and there we could share our submissions with each other because rule 7 is DUMB, or creating target-specific Vig-shots, or making everyone Loud and so on and so forth. Now obviously I can't do those things as some of them would be too strong and break the game, and others might backfire in a spectacular fashion because I have no idea what the drawbacks would be so I wouldn't be able to trust any of the results.
From a mechanical pov it looks like the mods would determine the drawbacks on an ad hoc basis which is a terrible idea because every ability has to be clearly defined right at the very start of the game and not depend on mod-interpretation which could be influenced by in-game events.
So yeah, I'm just going to have chat with bessie and screw it. Maybe she'll have some good ideas for N2.

Also why is Secret Santa an excuse for the mods not to reveal even the most basic interactions???

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:02 am UTC

Sandy Claws
Spoiler:
So, I am a "Cursed Ventriloquist" in this game, and that cursed part of the rolename has me wondering what sort of hidden mechanics there are, as nothing in my role description sounds bad.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:34 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018

Spoiler:
I am totally having a miserable time. I’ve been waiting to play with Sabrar and he won’t or can’t post. This is worse than WoT3 when I waited all weekend for him on D1. In the back of my mind I really hope it’s a posting restriction. On the other hand, if someone actually submitted a role with a restriction that limits posting and the mods allowed it I’m going to be so pissed off I don't even...

Hmm, well without Sabrar or even a BoomGambit I guess I need entertain myself. Let’s see if I can get night killed.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:33 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
So I think Mark may actually be scum. Will be interesting to see. Not sure if anyone will agree with my point though.

Also just had a thought, odds of a cult....

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:57 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
That double BoomFrog vote gave me an idea for next year. A role that can vote multiple times but can't unvote. Obviously a hidden power.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:04 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018:
Spoiler:
wam-the-man wrote:So I think Mark may actually be scum. Will be interesting to see. Not sure if anyone will agree with my point though.

...are zero. See the rules about alignment changing roles.

Sabrar has submitted his first draft version of his item - a Neighbourizer Suicide Vest mash-up. It creates day and night chat between the user and target, and if either is NK'ed, it results in both of them dying, but also the killer... That could get... messy.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:20 pm UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
wam-the-man wrote:So I think Mark may actually be scum. Will be interesting to see. Not sure if anyone will agree with my point though.

...are zero. See the rules about alignment changing roles.

Sabrar has submitted his first draft version of his item - a Neighbourizer Suicide Vest mash-up. It creates day and night chat between the user and target, and if either is NK'ed, it results in both of them dying, but also the killer... That could get... messy.

I take it Sabrar chose the "go crazy" option. You don't even have to come up with a drawback, just let this thing bite everyone in the butt :twisted:
—◯-◯ FG Discord

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:51 am UTC

Secret Santa:

Spoiler:
Still following along as a potential replacement, just been too busy to post (glad I didn't immediately sign up for this one, soooo busy). Also been having a cold, blegh.

MoA's claim is interesting, but seems decently useless as a power. Except for that night messaging part, that's actually decently handy. Still not liking him much.

I wish SJ would stop wasting time with that content analysis method he tried to start the game off with, as unless he can demonstrate that it works decently better than chance (preferably by applying it to past games where he doesn't know the outcomes), then it's just assigning reads randomly, while giving him plausible deniability if he's wrong.

MoA's stated reason for claiming doesn't seem to make sense as a janitor would appear to be ruled out by the rules....

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:23 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
And BoomFrog could probably be the third for trying to move the lynch away. I don't think I'll ever be able to trust him.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018:
Spoiler:
I hate being a mod of these sort of games and watching all these lovingly crafted roles get voted off. I'd be particularly sad if Mark or MasterOfAll died early on, Mark because of his win condition, and MoA because of the hilarious (for some) hidden drawback of his role.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

wam

Postby wam » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:56 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
plysomebody wrote:
Ugh, I have this nagging feeling that there's at most 1 scum in this group of usual suspects and I can't figure out who.

Yep there's at least 1 :twisted:

You lot are never going to let me live day 1 again.

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:56 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018

Spoiler:
I don't have a good feeling about this lynch . I also feel meta reasons are seriously influencing who I'm willing to lynch D1. I don't want wam to be the D1 lynch again. Nor do I want D1-hating Madge who seems to be more into the game than usual to be the lynch. MasterOfAll is playing his first game in a long time and I don't want to exclude him, also he has the power I wrote and I'd like to see it used. The only one I don't feel too bad about lynching is Mark. (Sorry Mark) Note: this is definitely not the only reason I'm voting Mark. In fact I don't think it's a reason at all. I do think he's most likely scum (I just don't know how influenced I am by that meta stuff.)

Luckily there's a consolation prize for the lynchee.

Return to “Mafia”